07-04-2016 08:10 PM
284 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Just turned off Skype Integration into Messaging, will see how that works. Sounds good on the surface until you use Skype on you PC and have 100 messages on your phone too. That can't be good for the battery.
    12-03-2015 12:09 PM
    Went to bed with 91% woke up to 16%... Phone wasn't warm though, so I have no idea what's causing it. My gut tells me it's Outlook as it's the only program that uses more battery in background than in use. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Came over from the Nexus 5 which only drained 2% over night and lasted 24 hours with a much smaller battery.
    You know there is an app pre-installed on your phone that you can check battery usage with, right?
    Go to battery saver, choose "Battery use"
    12-03-2015 01:44 PM
    The screen i have found has the highest use.

For example this was my use this morning.

- 30 minutes of music playing from Groove
    - 5 minutes of call time
    - 8 emails checked
    - 12 text messages
    - LTE data conection, bluetooth on connected to microsoft band 1 the whole time, no wifi or location
    - Hey cortana, skype login and windows hello off
    - Email notifications push every 1 hour

Battery currently at 89% being off the charger for just under 6 hours.
    12-03-2015 01:52 PM
    The screen i have found has the highest use.

For example this was my use this morning.

- 30 minutes of music playing from Groove
    - 5 minutes of call time
    - 8 emails checked
    - 12 text messages
    - LTE data conection, bluetooth on connected to microsoft band 1 the whole time, no wifi or location
    - Hey cortana, skype login and windows hello off
    - Email notifications push every 1 hour

Battery currently at 89% being off the charger for just under 6 hours.
    i dont know how you can use groove. it toally bugs out and skips EVERY song i play with bluetooth. im stuck with pandora for now
    12-03-2015 01:57 PM
    I said I was going to give it time, but I am an impatient person. ;). I have removed my SIM card and turned off background task for a bunch of apps. I have not had a chance to test to see how fast the battery drains, but I am able to use the wireless charger now. Before it would drain to fast for it charge.

I have a 200GB card with 100 GB of music and movies. I moved all apps back to the device. I think it may be the card, in my case. There are so many things that can cause issues, I do not think there is going to be one thing for everyone.
    12-03-2015 02:24 PM
    Here is my update. Turned off Hello, drained the battery until the phone turned off and charged overnight. I went from a 12% drain per hour to about a 8% drain per hour. Better, but still room for improvement.
    12-03-2015 02:25 PM
    Here is my update. Turned off Hello, drained the battery until the phone turned off and charged overnight. I went from a 12% drain per hour to about a 8% drain per hour. Better, but still room for improvement.
    pretty much at 4% per hour here.
    12-03-2015 02:31 PM
    Just turned off Skype Integration into Messaging, will see how that works. Sounds good on the surface until you use Skype on you PC and have 100 messages on your phone too. That can't be good for the battery.
    So I had already done some tweaks and for the last 4 days had been getting 16-18 hours of battery life with ~20% left when it went on the charger.
    My Skype messaging had been linked and I was getting double notifications.

I turned mine off last night before I went to bed, reset my phone, and so far today:

HUGE BATTERY LIFE BOOST.

Right now I my phone has been off the charger for 6:45 minutes with pretty decent use and I am still at 81% battery. This time yesterday I was somewhere around 70%.

Plus I get the added bonus of not receiving two notifications every time I get a Skype message.
    12-03-2015 02:44 PM
    If that's the case then what should we do.. I mean I had an old 820 and I suffered with it.. So is there something that we can do about it?
    12-03-2015 02:45 PM
    Is there any info when we will get an update for better battery life?
    12-03-2015 05:05 PM
    My 950xl said around 76% used by display. Once I disabled glance screen completely (was set to 30sec) it went to 62.4%
    12-03-2015 05:20 PM
    I have a feeling that groove music may be causing some Battery life issues. I'm almost always seeing the little data transmission icon near my WiFi icon and the artist and album art pictures are only starting to show up VERY slowly in groove. I've had this phone for a week and I'm only starting to see half of my artist pictures.
    12-03-2015 05:34 PM
    This is a hard one to answer because it is subjective each person uses the phone differently some heavy some light and whats that happens you get some folks that say it last me 20 plus hours , and then you get the ones who say it last 8-10 hrs before needing a charge it depends on the person and what you are running on the phone. Overall its a decent battery based on the Mah and what nots however its going to be how you use it that determines how long it last. By the way I start at 6am need to charge by 7pm but thats based on my usage my brightness and everything else I have going on.
    12-03-2015 06:44 PM
    Coming from the 920, it's nuts. 86% at 4:50am, woke up at 11:30am, 85%. Didn't use it too much, and it's now 17:36, with 41% left. Super happy, since my 920 lasted about 5 hours. Edit: I used Readit with cell and wifi on, so that kills it a bit faster.
    12-03-2015 07:36 PM
    i dont know how you can use groove. it toally bugs out and skips EVERY song i play with bluetooth. im stuck with pandora for now
    This is odd, it works fine in my VW and through my little bluetooth speaker in the garage.
    12-03-2015 07:38 PM
    I was very disappointed with battery life on my 950xl. I tried all the suggestions on the forums. What helped more than anything was simply running the phone down completely and recharging it. Now it performs as expected, full day with business constant usage. One thing I noticed is that the screen, even on auto-bright, is adjusted by the slide. Even with the slide all the way down to the bottom the screen brightness adjusts perfectly. Keeping it on auto, but slide low, has really helped.
    12-03-2015 08:43 PM
    Agree. The battery is atrocious compared to the 920, 930 and 640 (yes, I'm a bit of a WP junky :-) ). Since I've had many devices to which I can compare my 950 XL, I can safely say this is worst battery life I've experienced and I also attribute it to the not-so-finished WP10 experience.
    12-04-2015 09:51 AM
    Of course it is software and not the hardware. They will figure it out, in the meantime disable the things killing the battery.
    12-04-2015 11:03 AM
    I have a feeling that groove music may be causing some Battery life issues. I'm almost always seeing the little data transmission icon near my WiFi icon and the artist and album art pictures are only starting to show up VERY slowly in groove. I've had this phone for a week and I'm only starting to see half of my artist pictures.
    I think one of the big issues with battery is groove. Currently I have it disabled for background task and am able to charge my phone using my old Qi wireless charger. I did put a smaller card that had about 90 songs I purchased from Groove music. Previously I had a 200GB card with about 60GB of music. I also have around 100 GB online.
    12-04-2015 11:54 AM
    Another thing my battery charge level will also jump around sometimes. I was charging my battery and yesterday it jumped from 81% to 100%, today it just jumped from 91% to 99%.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    12-04-2015 12:00 PM
    Here is my battery history for about the last 24 hours.
    wp_ss_20151204_0001.jpg
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    12-04-2015 12:16 PM
    My batterylife is awful! Need to charge halfway through the day or I'm ****ed. Cannot believe how bad this battery is. I wait till it dies and then charge to 100% many times the last few days but no result. So my 950xl has no tap to wake, no flip to mute and the battery is fukcing poop! Why the hell I do the effort to stay with Microsoft and Windows 10 mobile, I have no idea. I'll give the battery another week or I'm of to look for something else! Fukcin' Microsoft...jeez!!
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    12-04-2015 01:04 PM
    Want to feel your 950 XL get ridiculously hot and drain that battery? Use the Surfy browser (I don't think Edge was quite as extreme) and scroll through & expand some of the 3000+ comments on one of the recent articles on the huffingtonpost.com. OMG. I wish I had my IR thermometer here with me to get a reading. Even with a case, the bottom of the XL becomes almost too hot to touch.

I'm not sure what the Facebook commenting system does (or Surfy FTM), but it's obviously continuously keeping the CPU cranked up. I now get what Michael Fisher was alluding to during his Lumia 950 comments on Pocketnow a couple weeks ago. He said the battery drain was high simply by reading text; must have been something like this.
    12-04-2015 01:17 PM
    If I use the phone, I lose 1% a minute. That give me 100 minutes of use before I have to charge it again. It's a disgrace Microsoft, an absolute disgrace!!!!!!!
    12-04-2015 01:53 PM
    Right now I my phone has been off the charger for 6:45 minutes with pretty decent use and I am still at 81% battery. This time yesterday I was somewhere around 70%.
    would you mind giving us a quick list of all the apps you allow to have background processing?
    12-04-2015 02:28 PM
284 ... 7891011 ...