How is your 950Xl battery doing?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I think literally every new smartphone has a "my battery life is bad" thread less than 24 hours after the phone is released. Alternatively, I do not recall ever seeing an "OMG the battery life is amaaaaazing" thread in my life for any phone whether it is Android or iOS. Maybe the Turbo though, which it should, lol.

Now, that being said, it would be nice if MS made that a goal. Be the guys with great battery life. With a dismal market share, there's got to be an incentive to leave.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So far I am very unimpressed with battery life.
Barely getting 12 hours of use before battery going critical.
This is with moderate usage, no gaming.
It seems the screen is absolutely draining the battery. I tried reducing brightness to 25% but does not seem to make much a difference so far.
I woke up at 4:30 today and it was down to 60% by noon and I was not talking on it more than 10 minutes and had some moderate web surfing for black friday deals.

To those that say don't compare to 1520, maybe not directly.
BUT
I could go from 7am to 11pm with my 1520 off the charger (16 hours) and use it how I wanted (no excessive games or video) and have 50%+ battery left.
This phone is killing the battery completely in 12 hours.
Not really acceptable. Even with a higher res screen and smaller battery I should be able to get a full day out of it before the battery dies.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using mine for a couple days. Today I took it off the charger 3 hours ago, and have been using it heavily since and it has 84% left. After a couple more full discharges, I expect it to be even better. So far it is performing well.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I think there are probably some bugs in the OS still that will hit battery life sometimes and sometimes not. My battery life seemed fine on day one and two. Last night I went and set offline maps to d/l north america, that is big and glacial in the download speed. after a few hours it was only half done and the battery was dropping fast so I cancelled it and put it on charge. Took it off charge before bed, it was almost completely full. 7 hours later in the morning DEAD! I mean shutoff and needed a couple minutes on the charger before it would boot.

Refilled it in an hour or so and today it has been stellar. I do think WM10 even at its best is not as battery efficient as WP 8.1. But on the other hand, it seems better than android except for the latest Marshmellow, doze in 6.0 really extends the battery when the phone is not being used screen on...

jamielife

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing terrible. I got it wednesday and let it restore all my settings, messages, etc. Charged it overnight to 100%. Unplugged it at about 9 am Yesterday and by noon I was critical. Even tried enabling Battery Saver at around 50%. Considering doing a hard reset as 4-5 hours of battery life with very little usage seems wrong even for a new phone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's weird because ill play games like asphalt 8 and candy crush soda for a while, and the apps taking up the most battery are readit and photos. I don't sit in the photos app all day and I go onto readit for a small amount at a time. So it's likely these apps are battery hungry. I've started closing them if they are in the task switcher after usage.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the break-in period, but right now it's performing worse than my 1020 did. I'm using it a bit more though, and the screen is huge. It's pushing tons of pixels.

That being said, the app consistently sitting at the top of usage is Messaging. Given the experience I have with it on my desktop (it's a universal app, so it is supposed to be the same codebase), I can say that Messaging is probably what ultimately delayed the phone. It's still not ready. Skype integration is flaky. And a messaging app taking up 40% of the battery draw, even when idle, is pretty crazy. So overall, I will wait and see. Hopefully a bugfix for the app will come out. Based on the draw over a day, the only reason I'm not getting 24 hours on a charge seems to be Messaging and break-in not being fully done.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Alternatively, I do not recall ever seeing an "OMG the battery life is amaaaaazing" thread in my life for any phone whether it is Android or iOS. Maybe the Turbo though, which it should, lol.

Possibly on the HTC One M8? The battery on it was amazing. If that thing had a halfway decent camera, I would have never downgraded it to a 640. When I was at Disney last Dec. with it, with Bluetooth and WiFi off I could get through 12 hour days while surfing while waiting in line, texting and taking tons of pictures. Amazing device with amazing battery life ruined by a toy camera.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
not ready to make any final statements on battery life, but having run Maps for 2.5 hours today for navigation back from where we spent Thanksgiving day, the battery ran down quite quickly (like lost 50%) and this thing got hot.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Maybe MS can give us a WP 8.1 option for the 950XL until they get things straightened out, I'd be happy with it... :wink:

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed the same with my own 950xl, runs warm to hot and the battery life isn't exactly superb. I run my screen dark but also use the dark grey pallet for my accent coloring to help offset consumption. I've cleared two full cycles now with this battery and have noticed improvement with it over the course of those cycles...so we shall see how the break in fairs down the road.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We seem to get this sort of thread about battery life EVERY time a new phone or OS update shows up. Knee jerk stuff IMO.

There's nothing wrong with the phone, just the user!!!!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
We seem to get this sort of thread about battery life EVERY time a new phone or OS update shows up. Knee jerk stuff IMO.

There's nothing wrong with the phone, just the user!!!!

Of course, we tend to use phone more often when we update it or buy a new one. However it seems like that on most phones Windows 10 is still more battery hungry than 8.1 and that's not really an improvement people expect.

Let's say Windows 10's approach is a little different, but it needs a lot of improvements in this area.

My battery burns 5-10% after 8 hours, when not using it, where on Android lollipop was like 0-2% and iOS iPad is like 0-1% after a day, but okay it has much bigger capacity.. Still proves that there is always room for improvements.

Maybe it's too soon to speak about it any way.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think you guys need to wait about a week before you say anything about the battery life. My Lumia 830 drained pretty fast after installing Windows 10 Mobile but after about five days it was as good if not better than Windows Phone 8.1.

robert109

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I tried to let the phone standby overnight with a full battery, just want to see how many percentage it will remain when I wake up. Unfortunately, the result is 88%. It is really a disappointing result compared with the latest Android and iOS devices. Please, Microsoft, please give us an update to solve this issue ASAP.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Testing a hypothesis today.

Had been running both Windows Hello and Hey Cortana.

Turned off both, lets see how much battery life improves. My theory is it will improve significantly since both of these services run all the time even when the phone is not in use.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried to let the phone standby overnight with a full battery, just want to see how many percentage it will remain when I wake up. Unfortunately, the result is 88%. It is really a disappointing result compared with the latest Android and iOS devices. Please, Microsoft, please give us an update to solve this issue ASAP.

This is my experience too..

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Tested again last night and I lost 5% over 7 hours. Not bad, but nowhere near the best I've seen from a phone. From 8am to 11pm of my normal use I was down to 20%. So it works for me, but it's just okay.

I have another phone (no need to mention the name for fear of the mod post killer) that gets over 100 hours on battery normal use for me. No way the XL will ever come close to it.

Normal use for me is about 3 hours of screen on time. The XL will give me about 17-20 hours of battery, so it pretty much will have to be charged every day.

Oh and my other no named phone has a 300mAh battery that is removable and takes a SD card. I can only guess the battery drain is a W10 issues. As my 920 will last a lot longer on 8.1.

robert109

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Testing a hypothesis today.

Had been running both Windows Hello and Hey Cortana.

Turned off both, lets see how much battery life improves. My theory is it will improve significantly since both of these services run all the time even when the phone is not in use.
Oh that most likely is the point!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte