How is your 950Xl battery doing?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
This is the same as my Surface Pro 3 when I went from windows 8.1 to windows 10-Battery drain was excessive and stands by was horrible. Windows 10 does ALOT of background talking ALOT!!!! !!!!

Glad it's not my imagination with my SP3 also!!
I've now gotten into the habit of just shutting it off where with 8.1 sleep was adequate!!

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
13 hours of pretty heavy use and I'm down to 10%. Seriously take a look at your allowed background apps. Disabling some of them made huge battery improvements. Same with changing email settings to pull rather than push.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I am hoping over time it mellows out like my HTC One M8 did. Right now i have it setup the same way and the drain is significantly higher. Losing roughly 7-8% an hour without touching it. M8 was down to 2-3% after a few weeks.

All off:
Cortana
Windows Hello
Most background apps (only messenger, phone, mail on)

I really look forward to the optimizations that are coming to make 10 perform as well as 8.1 did as far as battery life. I notice the hit on all my Windows 10 devices.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My experience thus far has been pretty good. Day 1, I used the phone quite a bit and from 63% charge it got down to the upper 20s before I put it back on the charger. That was from about 5:30PM till 10 or 11.

On Day 2, from a full charge, I was at 16 hours of moderate to heavy usage (played a game, watched some videos, browsing, checking email, fantasy football, reading articles, playing with settings, etc.) when I put it on the charger at 22%. The thing is, I knew I hadn't put the charger in very well, but it showed the charging icon, so I left it. At some point between 4AM and 9:00AM, the charger had fallen out. When I looked at the phone it was at 11% (I have Battery Saver set to turn on at 20%). I plugged back into the charger.

So, on Day 3 I pulled the phone off of the charger at about 12:30PM. at 100%. With light to moderate usage, I'm currently at 44% at almost 3AM. That's a 56% drop in 14:30 hours.

I have both Hey Cortana and Windows Hello turned on. I've got two email accounts, both set to "Based on my usage". Some background services have been turned off for apps that don't need it. While many others are still on. I don't use Facebook, or 3rd party messaging apps, but I do have Twitter and Tweetium.

Also, I DID restore from a backup. Although, that back up was from a device running 10586.11. So, it looks like, for me, that I should be able to get 25-26 hours of light to moderate use and somewhere around 17-20 hours of moderate to heavy usage, give or take.

If anybody wishes for me to detail anything in more specific terms, let me know.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been off the charger for three hours now, battery has gone from 100% to 85% without me doing anything on the phone except turn the screen on twice for 2 seconds to check the battery.
I have glance on, bluetooth off, wifi connected, Hey Cortana and Hello active.

Certainly drains faster than my 1520 or even my 920, it's been running since Friday so hoping for improvement's in the next couple of days.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else's battery, once its reached 100% and then taken off the charger, appear to drop rapidly to the low 80's and then sit there for a while? Happened to me twice now.

Maybe try leaving it on the charger 10 or 15 minutes after it gets to '100%'.

The charge regime for lithium ion is cc/cv, The charger goes at high current for the first 80-90% depending on charge rate until the cell reaches 4.2 volts, then the rate ramps down to hold 4.2 until full. That's why they will quote high amounts of charge in a half hour for quick charge 2.0, the last little bit takes longer.

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Li-ion and li-pol batteries do not need a period to "break in", and you shouldn't charge them over night, or even let them discharge fully.

The batteries work at full capacity, out of the box, have a limited amount how often they can be fully charged from 0%, and they start to fail after about 3 years.
If it's draining quickly, it's because it's being used by you, apps or some other background process.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm really curious why it comes off the Qi charging plate so hot. If it's sitting at 100% it shouldn't be charging, so what's making it so hot? And it can't be healthy for the battery either.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm really curious why it comes off the Qi charging plate so hot. If it's sitting at 100% it shouldn't be charging, so what's making it so hot? And it can't be healthy for the battery either.

That's not good indeed. I pulled it from my dt-601 this morning (was fully charged of course) and it was not even warm. But maybe your phone was working really hard in the background for some reason, the phone can still get really warm I noticed (not because of the snapdragon 810 per s?, rather heavy battery usage).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's not good indeed. I pulled it from my dt-601 this morning (was fully charged of course) and it was not even warm. But maybe your phone was working really hard in the background for some reason, the phone can still get really warm I noticed (not because of the snapdragon 810 per s?, rather heavy battery usage).

Maybe, so far it happens on both DT-900 chargers that I own, day or night. Hey Cortana and Hello are on, and another possible culprit is the 4000+ songs on OneDrive and on the uSD.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually one of the first posts I made after getting my L1520 was about how awesome the battery life was. I'm still amazed at how long this thing can hold a charge. That said, the last three builds of WP10 drained my battery like mad so I had to go back to 8.1 so maybe it's the build of WP10 causing the drain.. I'd wait for a software update.

theboyknowsclass

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Battery is garbage.....all the story about needing several cycles is BS....I already went through 6 full charges since Wed.....woke up this AM, used the phone for 45 minutes and battery is now down to 71%. This is a joke.....MY wife just got an Iphone 6s+ Thursday.....we tried the same thing this AM. WE both woke up at the same time, both bateries 100% charged. We both used it for 45 minutes browsing the web. After 1 hour her battery shows 91%, mine shows 71%. THis is a JOKE. MS needs to get their act together....no wonder there is no advertising for WM 10.
That's pretty shocking, most of the reviews i saw didn't seem to have too many complaints on the battery life front, guess the test suites don't catch it.

p.s. are you *that* jon rubinstein? i miss my pre (1-3 and touchpad) :(

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The charge regime for lithium ion is cc/cv, The charger goes at high current for the first 80-90% depending on charge rate until the cell reaches 4.2 volts, then the rate ramps down to hold 4.2 until full. That's why they will quote high amounts of charge in a half hour for quick charge 2.0, the last little bit takes longer.
You know some things about lithium batteries, nice to see! My 950 XL, however, is not acting exactly like this and it perplexes me. Some of this must be a firmware issue, but some may be hardware.

Time - % complete - estimated time to charge - charge current
2:45 - start - 63 minutes - 1.8A
3:45 - 55% - 32 minutes - 1.4A
4:15 - 71% - 21 minutes - 1.4A
4:55 - 86% - 10 minutes - 1.2A
5:10 - 94% - 4 minutes - 0.7A
5:20 - 98% - 1 minutes - 0.5A
5:27 - 100% - 0 minutes - 0.4A

It takes my phone another hour or so for the charge current to fully drop down to 0.08A (which is the phone's operating current, not charge current). The takeaways here are that:
1. The phone's charge time calculation is WAY off.
2. Even at 100% the phone is far from truly being in CV mode thus is truly far away from being fully charged
3. I suspect ONE of the reasons some people are having poor battery runtime is because they think they are starting fully charged when they aren't

Li-ion and li-pol batteries do not need a period to "break in", and you shouldn't charge them over night, or even let them discharge fully
. That's what "they" say, but it clearly isn't true that they don't have a break-in period, they do. I've seen it on every battery powered device I ever had. Aside from the chemistry aspect many devices have a fuel gage that "learns" about battery capacity after a couple of charge/discharge cycles and frequently the very early estimates are wrong until it has had time to learn (making it appear the battery is "breaking in"). For this reason I always periodically run my batteries "into the ground" so that the fuel gage gets to see what the battery's present capacity really is. When I started the test above I started with the battery so discharged the phone refused to turn on. This poor initial estimate/learning not complete may be part of the issue I've outlined above

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually one of the first posts I made after getting my L1520 was about how awesome the battery life was. I'm still amazed at how long this thing can hold a charge. That said, the last three builds of WP10 drained my battery like mad so I had to go back to 8.1 so maybe it's the build of WP10 causing the drain.. I'd wait for a software update.
Same observation here. W10 on my 1520 and the battery life get's much worse than with 8.1. So I really hope they will be able to optimize battery life on later builds, which I'm pretty sure they will. So battery life will probably get a lot better on the 950 as soon as they sort things out and optimize the OS.

mateole17

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been really bad so far. I might have just recieved a bad phone though as it keeps getting very hot no matter how many times I have reset it. Even without usage the battery is draining quickly. I tested it last night by not plugging it in when I went to bed and it went from 100% to 10% in six hours with no usage. I'll give it a week before I return it.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is so bad I cannot use wireless or plug into a computer. They do not charge it fast enough to prevent it from draining. This is with airplane mode on, glance off, NFC off. This is not just breaking in. I have never had a battery this bad before.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is so bad I cannot use wireless or plug into a computer. They do not charge it fast enough to prevent it from draining. This is with airplane mode on, glance off, NFC off. This is not just breaking in. I have never had a battery this bad before.

That is not your battery, your phone is wildly drawing power for something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro