How is your 950Xl battery doing?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
guys, use the phone for at least a week and check it afterwards. Also the phone itself is ok, it does not have issues, the terrible OS is the culprit here. I still wonder when will MS decide to actually fix this?

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
An actually positive post!
Within the last 24ish hours, my battery performance has begun stabilizing. Further, the device seems to not be hot to the touch anymore. I'm guessing that the two are related.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Guys - disable messaging backup in Messaging + Skype. It is completely broken and will drain your battery like crazy. After doing this I went from -15%+ per hour down to -7% and hour. Still not great, but I can get through a day now. The OS is not finished, its **** we have to deal with this, but I highly doubt it is a hardware issue.

Where do you go to disable this? I only see a setting for "sync messages between devices".

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Today I tried a test 6 days after getting and working with this device. I started ay 8:00 am. I short call. No video or gaming. Constant use for emails, text and reading news online. Display at 50% brightness. Hello is on. At 1:00, battery is down to 30% from 100% charging all night. That's 70% usage in 4 hours, with no heavy usage (but location is also on). I thought battery was acceptable after seeing huge improvement from i first this, but I guess it's all relative because this really is terrible efficiency

Last edited:

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Charged this morning until 11. because I was draining it overnight. 4:15pm and at 67% . I've used mostly on phone calls about 2 hours. But some screen time too to check email, twitter. This is now in line with what I expected. I have no idea why it's doing so well today. Maybe the reset I did yesterday after getting to 100% did the trick in helping the calibration work properly.

kiteless

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been so so on my XL. I let it run down to almost zero then put it on my Anker Qi Charging pad just as I went to bed and the phone actually powered off even though it was on and sitting on the pad. So far other than it's first charge out of the box I've been charging it at night on the Qi pad since Black Friday (went I had to go to the god forsaken mall ON BLACK FRIDAY) and get my new shiny.

Aaaaanyway I went into the battery minder app thing in the phone and it said Twitter was chowing 20% of my battery usage. Since my battery was at below 10% charge left when I looked I would read that as Twitter taking nearly one quarter of my total battery usage.

Also no two phones are the same right? I wonder if some people are having WAY better battery life than other because the phone is just polling the Internet more often, be it via local WiFi or cellular. Like I think I have 6 email accounts on my phone including my work, 3 of them are IMAP, one is exchange and 2 of them are Outlook.com addresses. Twitter is a known element and per the battery saver app the TOP consumer of power.

Also I wonder could LTE draw more power than say 3G running on HSPA+? My Lumia 640 from awful Cricket Wireless had LTE and stellar battery life. But it also doesn't have a large and very high res AMOLED screen and a 900 core processor. OK sorry 8 cores. :p

// Jason

Edit: OK I'm dumb. I didn't notice that Twitter in power meter shows power use while it's being used and in background. I guess I use it more than I thought. 98 percent of the power usage for Twitter is when I'm actively using it. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing terrible. I got it wednesday and let it restore all my settings, messages, etc. Charged it overnight to 100%. Unplugged it at about 9 am Yesterday and by noon I was critical. Even tried enabling Battery Saver at around 50%. Considering doing a hard reset as 4-5 hours of battery life with very little usage seems wrong even for a new phone.

That is nothing like my usage experience at all. I'm getting two full days of light use (and could reasonably get a third). That's without battery saver on at all. Not sure what's going on with that phone, but it sounds dramatically different from what I'm seeing with mine.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think its OS related also.
Did some local groove streaming and played riptide long enough for the phone to extremely warm. Currently at 44%,off charger for 14hrs.
Final Update:Got about 19 hrs total do a little of everything, email, groove streaming, gaming using riptide, few phone calls..so I'd say moderate usage.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
That is nothing like my usage experience at all. I'm getting two full days of light use (and could reasonably get a third). That's without battery saver on at all. Not sure what's going on with that phone, but it sounds dramatically different from what I'm seeing with mine.

You mean you got the one 950XL out of all of us here where the battery life is extraordinary, not either complete trash or tolerable? I need proof. "Light usage" is really, really telling to me, who had "light usage" work just fine as well when I never touched the phone... How about a graph showing the phone with usage, not a phone you leave on the counter to answer a text on every 2 hours. Cause, usage is what matters when you, you know, need to USE THE PHONE.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Im coming from the Lumia 925, and so far the battery life on the 950xl does not appear to be better or worse...based on my similar usage case for both phones. I expected it to be at least 50% better, but that has not been the case. Going to keep the phone however, and hope an update will improve battery life.

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the following steps improved battery life overnight....literally:

1) Take a backup from your 950/XL
2) If you have reset protection on, turn off all wireless except wifi. Otherwise just go to airplane mode.
3) Perform hard reset
4) restore from just created backup.

My original backup was from a 640 running 10586.

Phone actually lasts entire day without need to recharge. I was previously going into battery saver mode within 12 hours. before the above steps. I am glad I caved in and did the above despite being a time-consuming process to setup all logins etc.

Last edited:

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been having horrible battery life. In fact it can be so bad, like many others, wireless charging cannot keep up with the drain. Listening to people far ore knowledgeable then I on this. I believe there are many different factors. For me I was able to use wireless charging when I did not add music to my phone. I waited, because I had ordered a 200 GB when it was on sale. The battery drained very quickly during the day, because I was using it and setting things up how I like it, and downloading GBs worth of apps. I go my card and proceeded to add about 60 GB worth of music, 24 GB worth of videos, and 1 GB worth of books. In addition, I have over 100 GBs worth of music on Onedrive, and GBs more of photos.

All these things are being scanned and syncing the information to the phone. I did a hard reset to my phone, but did not format my SD card, still horrible battery life. I did another hard reset and I am back in the same situation. Groove music has been 59% of battery usage the last 24 hours. I am going to give it some time to finish up and see if it gets any better.

I am wondering how much media people that have horrible battery life have.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
update to my previous thread. Woke up at 7am, used it normally, texts, web, twitter... 10pm had 52% left... id say thats pretty damn good! wifi off, no hey cortana, no hello, no glance.

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been having horrible battery life. In fact it can be so bad, like many others, wireless charging cannot keep up with the drain. Listening to people far ore knowledgeable then I on this. I believe there are many different factors. For me I was able to use wireless charging when I did not add music to my phone. I waited, because I had ordered a 200 GB when it was on sale. The battery drained very quickly during the day, because I was using it and setting things up how I like it, and downloading GBs worth of apps. I go my card and proceeded to add about 60 GB worth of music, 24 GB worth of videos, and 1 GB worth of books. In addition, I have over 100 GBs worth of music on Onedrive, and GBs more of photos.

All these things are being scanned and syncing the information to the phone. I did a hard reset to my phone, but did not format my SD card, still horrible battery life. I did another hard reset and I am back in the same situation. Groove music has been 59% of battery usage the last 24 hours. I am going to give it some time to finish up and see if it gets any better.

I am wondering how much media people that have horrible battery life have.

To put things in context, I have about 4 GB worth of music on my SD for foreign language music and groove music pass for the English music.

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
update to my previous thread. Woke up at 7am, used it normally, texts, web, twitter... 10pm had 52% left... id say thats pretty damn good! wifi off, no hey cortana, no hello, no glance.

I actually have Hey Cortana, glance and hello running and the phone now lasts a full 24 hrs without need to recharge.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a battery issue with my 950 as well. Weird thing happened... a week later I don't have an issue anymore.
Same thing happened on my 920, my second 920 and my 1020. It's almost as if the device learns your behavior and adjusts. Yes, I've made small adjustments to my 950, but nothing out of the ordinary. Matter of fact, I've been complaining that I don't understand the new OS enough to make the proper changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077