How is your 950Xl battery doing?

Starwave

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
The battery just gets better and better for me! It's been 18 hours and 34 minutes since last charge, and it is at 62%. Estimated time remaining is 17 hours and 49 minutes.

That is a really great improvement, considering the first few days it only lasted for 9-10 hours with no use! :)

Edit: Just want to add that I've had it since Thursday, and the battery improvements came after I did a hard reset (and switched some SIM-settings). Check out my previous post for more information regarding that :)

Lyndon Sanche

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Is it worth it to do a hard reset to fix Battery life and email or should I just wait for them to fix it? I don't really want to go through setup again

twforsyth234

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Initially my battery life on my 950XL .... approximately 1/2 day under my usage (which obviously won't work). I tried everything to understand what was happening and could not figure out the cause. Just before returning the phone, I did a full reset and did not restore from a backup. After approximately 1/2 day ... the battery was no longer getting hot and I can now get a day and a half under my usage (bluetooth on, wifi on, location on). The battery is getting better.

I have noticed that when I go to the gym (metal lockers), my battery drains very quickly when I leave it in the locker. It must be working very hard to find a signal?

Of note, when my battery was draining quickly, my bluetooth was bad, my reception was poor and the phone was not working properly.

All good now ... and it seems to be getting better. I do still think that we need the next update to have the efficiency back of 8.1

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I kind of knew what to suspect early on with the 950XL. After all, I had the same experience on the last couple of builds of W10M on my 1520.
Basically, there is an issue with SMS syncing and until your SMS syncing succeeds, your Messaging&Skype app are going to tap that battery for all it's worth. :)

Similar to that 1520 with 10581 & 10586, the 950XL finally (took days) finished SMS syncing and the battery life change is dramatic. Yesterday was my first day with that APP not being listed as the majority battery user. As a result, I was able to have a normal ALL DAY experience with the 950XL never needing to be plugged in. By the time I got to bed, I was at 37% battery. I am VERY pleased because I can now consider the 950XL the heir to my 1520. It IS now my primary mobile device, and the 1520 is the backup. Total role reversal.

I am somebody that is completely satisfied with the new Flagship. And it is the first phone that I now consider BETTER than my 1520.

Not remarkably better, except for Continuum, but better none the less. That was a 26 month Reign for the 1520!

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
So, I kind of knew what to suspect early on with the 950XL. After all, I had the same experience on the last couple of builds of W10M on my 1520.
Basically, there is an issue with SMS syncing and until your SMS syncing succeeds, your Messaging&Skype app are going to tap that battery for all it's worth. :)

Similar to that 1520 with 10581 & 10586, the 950XL finally (took days) finished SMS syncing and the battery life change is dramatic. Yesterday was my first day with that APP not being listed as the majority battery user. As a result, I was able to have a normal ALL DAY experience with the 950XL never needing to be plugged in. By the time I got to bed, I was at 37% battery. I am VERY pleased because I can now consider the 950XL the heir to my 1520. It IS now my primary mobile device, and the 1520 is the backup. Total role reversal.

I am somebody that is completely satisfied with the new Flagship. And it is the first phone that I now consider BETTER than my 1520.

Not remarkably better, except for Continuum, but better none the less. That was a 26 month Reign for the 1520!

same thing here. i hard reset and it seemed to get better. i loved my 1520 but after 18 months the digitizer took a dump and is unusable. my XL is my main. i am surprised tho that i booted up my 920 after 4 years and it still works like a charm lol.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Is it worth it to do a hard reset to fix Battery life and email or should I just wait for them to fix it? I don't really want to go through setup again
I would not do a hard reset. I did it a couple times and think it cause the whole process to start over. I have a lot of files and the phone is scanning and doing what it does.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I would not do a hard reset. I did it a couple times and think it cause the whole process to start over. I have a lot of files and the phone is scanning and doing what it does.
do a backup before (on wifi) and reset. it goes quick. maybe 2 hours for it to be 100% complete... plus it may run better too

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You mean you got the one 950XL out of all of us here where the battery life is extraordinary, not either complete trash or tolerable? I need proof. "Light usage" is really, really telling to me, who had "light usage" work just fine as well when I never touched the phone... How about a graph showing the phone with usage, not a phone you leave on the counter to answer a text on every 2 hours. Cause, usage is what matters when you, you know, need to USE THE PHONE.

well my typical usage has been listening to music (local and radio) 2-3 hours per day, responding to several dozen emails, texting my wife/friends, typical web-browsing, and I might get 15-20 minutes of candy crush in there somewhere. When I look at my battery usage it says that 65% of it comes from screen-on time. I'm happy to offer a screenshot if someone can tell me how to do that.

I'm kinda surprised that you're asking for "proof" as though you presume me to be some malicious/disingenuous poster. I'm merely saying that I've had no problems whatsoever with battery life and that I consider my usage scenario to be "light" in nature.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
glance literally eats 0 % battery, They said it at keynote also.

They say a lot of things during keynote which aren't necessarily true or don't turn out the way they should. I switched off glance and it did improve my battery life, am not sure why...got 31 hrs out of it, with glance enabled it was less than 15 hrs.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My battery still blows. All it takes is a missed call while I'm sleeping and the battery will die within an hr. Windows hello does this weird thing where if I miss a phone call it stays in I'm looking for you mode. This severely drains battery. We need a better OS build. I like the phone though, all the problems I have with this phone are definitely fixable with software though. Hardware is top notch

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My battery still blows. All it takes is a missed call while I'm sleeping and the battery will die within an hr. Windows hello does this weird thing where if I miss a phone call it stays in I'm looking for you mode. This severely drains battery. We need a better OS build. I like the phone though, all the problems I have with this phone are definitely fixable with software though. Hardware is top notch

id disable hello for now.. its in beta and buggy as hell lol.

asteng88

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
ok, quick update after having the XL for 1 week. Win hello is on and used 100% of the time to unlock the phone, glance down to 30 secs, everything else as per defaults. Wake up at 7 am and battery is at 57% at 11pm. Very happy

asteng88

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Not at all. Leave it on. I have trained the hell out of mine in good light with and without my glasses on and it works 100% of the time for me. I was skeptical at first but it works perfectly for me on my xl and my surface book.
Just keep training it again and again and look at the camera and NOT the red light.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just keep training it again and again and look at the camera and NOT the red light.

This. The red light is NOT the Iris camera! It's only the light source to light up your iris FOR the actual iris scanner - which is a semi-hidden one about 1cm on the left next to the normal front facing camera (try it - use your finger to cover the FF camera) and sits directly above the battery icon! Look at that spot instead and you would find the speed and accuracy will be greatly increased. If you find it easier look at the battery icon if you want, just don't head towards the light. ;)

I think it was Paul Thurrott who gave out the advice that for him looking at the red light increased the accuracy - but that's bad advice. Paul doesn't like iris scanners and wanted a fingerprint reader even before he ever got hands on time with the tech so he wasn't willing to look into how it actually works.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
It's the famous Cardelli trying to single-handedly save the Win10 touch interface! (right?) Glad you're happy, I'm on the fence myself. Couple of nagging issues, hopefully we hear about solutions to these soon.
In person :wink:
About your "nagging issues", I've none of them on my unit.
You can see my Hands-On Review here
While here you can find useful tricks to optimize Windows Hello :angel:

Last edited:

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Just to finish my point, here is how I expect phone life to go under Windows 10. If it is not similar after 5+ days of trying, it fails. This is under moderate usage all day long, polling 4 email accounts in real time, at least 30 minutes of a game, text messages throughout the day, a few pictures, over an hour talking on the phone, 50 minutes of playing music in my car via the headphone jack, and some web browsing. Bluetooth, wireless, cellular data all enabled, connected to a Microsoft Band.
wp_ss_20151203_0001[1].jpg

BeyondGrave

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Went to bed with 91% woke up to 16%... :eck: Phone wasn't warm though, so I have no idea what's causing it. My gut tells me it's Outlook as it's the only program that uses more battery in background than in use. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Came over from the Nexus 5 which only drained 2% over night and lasted 24 hours with a much smaller battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss