How is your 950Xl battery doing?

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My 950XL is draining 13% an hour with very, very light use. 18% with video. Compared to this, my 1520 was doing 3-4% an hour with light use. This is getting absurd.

NFC, Bluetooth, Hello, disabled. Only 4 apps allowed in background. I have to recharge mine at least twice a day, but I only had it for 2 days now. So hopefully it will even out soon enough.

Rimaz Flyil

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I was a big apple fan until iPhone 4s and then I started using android from nexus 4 to nexus 6 I love android but now I decided to change to windows and I bought the Lumia 950 XL .i have to say the battery life is so bad .i don't install much applications on my phone still my batter from morning 8 am 100% to 4 pm 15% I just use texting and twitter and my brightness is 50% .i don't no what to do .any suggestion

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't get mine to charge fully, I put it on the charger when I went to bed and woke up with 72% (charging for 6 hours)

3 hours later and it's telling me it's at 19% and 41 minutes to go. Running warm when it's in standbye and heats right up as soon as I try to use it.

Turning features of and blocking stuff in the back ground shouldn't be an option, the phone should be able to last a day with those features one.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone - just wondering if your battery life improved on your 950 XL after the latest Windows 10 cumulative update a few days ago? :) So far only heard good news.

Dalek Sec

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had my white 950xl (dual sim with only one in use) since Nov 27th as my daily driver. At first my battery life was lack luster at best. Barely made it through the day. Luckily I have wireless chargers everywhere. Off the charger at 7am and down to 80% by 9am. Battery saver (15%) by 3pm. I let it break in an settle down for a week but was very disappointed. I had reloaded from the backup from my 8.1 htc m8 (had about 30% charge by end of day for me)

I always have the phone connected to my band 2.
Windows hello and hey cortana active.
Auto brightness.
Wifi off. skype sync on.
3 email accounts 2 on hourly and 1 constantly updating.
I'm a realtor so I live on the phone with calls, emails, and text. I listen to talk radio on iheartradio for 2-3 hours a day ether through a bluetooth speaker or the built in one.

Listening to people on the forum I decided to do a hard reset and reload from a new 950xl backup. Now battery life is great. Nothing else has changed. I even find myself playing with it more now that I'm not worried about battery life during the day. 100% at 7am. 80-70% by noon 50% around 4pm. 15% battery saver around 8:30pm. Gets me though the day and now that I have the wireless charging back it can stay topped off unlike the M8.

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had my white 950xl (dual sim with only one in use) ...

Listening to people on the forum I decided to do a hard reset and reload from a new 950xl backup. Now battery life is great. Nothing else has changed. I even find myself playing with it more now that I'm not worried about battery life during the day. 100% at 7am. 80-70% by noon 50% around 4pm. 15% battery saver around 8:30pm. Gets me though the day and now that I have the wireless charging back it can stay topped off unlike the M8.

So by this do you mean that you had your XL set up, back it up, hard reset it and then used the back up.

Or you just hard reset it and started from scratch <-- this what I am thinking of doing but I am worried that I'll loose my text messages.

I am draining like 25% in an hour and it's just not acceptable.

Dalek Sec

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So by this do you mean that you had your XL set up, back it up, hard reset it and then used the back up.

Or you just hard reset it and started from scratch <-- this what I am thinking of doing but I am worried that I'll loose my text messages.

Yep that's exactly what I did. I let all the updates run for apps and the phone. I notice that hello seems to be more accurate a well now. No idea if that is related.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Sad to hear all the bad battery reports... Stock, this phone beats my 930 under similar usage (and that's with Windows Hello enabled). I should point out my usage is high on new features (Hey Cortana, Band 2 Bluetooth always connected), and I've enabled glance on the XL, but I keep the XL screen at 25% (though maddeningly it always resets to 50% after restart). Unlike the 930, a cellular data connection drains the battery faster than WiFi on the 950XL, which might be because I'm on LTE (my 930 only gets 3G here).

When I first got the XL I noticed the battery lost power during standby - I'd leave the phone in my pocket at 78%, and take it out an hour later to see 73%. Since the update to .29, the standby drain seems to be gone (it's only been a day so we'll see how it looks by this weekend), so I'd suggest everyone grab the .29 update.

But as everyone noticed, the biggest drain is the display, so the easiest thing to go after is screen brightness. And make sure you turn off the screen as soon as you're done with it.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
...Since the update to .29, the standby drain seems to be gone (it's only been a day so we'll see how it looks by this weekend), so I'd suggest everyone grab the .29 update...
That's awesome to hear!!!
I was waiting for this update before deciding to buy this phone, hoping it would fix the initial battery issues people were having. Glad it did! Now I can go ahead buy it! (I'm still on an ancient but still amazing 920... and I'm sure the battery on the 950 XL is way better than what I'm currently getting on my 920 lol).

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Not liking the battery so far in the 950 XL.

My phone was at 80% about 7 hours ago, and I find that I have to keep putting it on the charging plate at work to make sure I get through the day with light usage.

Was I just spoilt by the 1520?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome to hear!!!
I was waiting for this update before deciding to buy this phone, hoping it would fix the initial battery issues people were having. Glad it did! Now I can go ahead buy it! (I'm still on an ancient but still amazing 920... and I'm sure the battery on the 950 XL is way better than what I'm currently getting on my 920 lol).

I'm possibly waiting until after Christmas for mine. 920s seem to get some rough comments. Mine does the full day, unless I hammer it. Today it dropped only 21% from 7am until 5pm. Although, I only sent a couple of texts. 2.1% per hour is ok. I'm on W10. To be honest, I was hoping for over 24 hours from the 950xl.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Not liking the battery so far in the 950 XL.

My phone was at 80% about 7 hours ago, and I find that I have to keep putting it on the charging plate at work to make sure I get through the day with light usage.

Was I just spoilt by the 1520?

No you just need to set your device up right (unless you have a specific issue with your hardware).

I had a 1520 and my 950xl is getting similar if not better battery life. I'll admit it did not come out of the box that way but after some tweaking this phone rocks.

I have a post in this thread that goes over what I did to my phone in detail. Briefly, there are only a few main offenders: linked messaging between IM and Skype, Hey Cortana, and Windows Hello.

WyrdWolf

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Unplugged mine at 0430 this morning, at 1930 this evening, I have 11% left. Work calls, games, Edge, showing off, Wi-Fi, BT, and location stay on, Glance is turned off. Battery saver set at 20%. It is a marked improvement since the update went out.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I left the house at 8:30 A.M. this past Tuesday with 78% charge. I came home at 10:30 P.M. with 18% charge left after using it for music, browsing the web, GPS navigation, and checking email. Wifi, Bluetooth, Glance, and Hey Cortana were active the entire time.

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, had my xl a few days now and battery has been average to poor.how many full discharge and recharges should I expect before I see optimum battery?
Also the killer for me seems to be anything using 4g? So web browsing or watching videos online? What would the normal battery expectancy be for web browing on 4g? I dnt think i would get more than 90 -120 mins, does that seem right ?this post alone has cost me 2% and I'm currently on WiFi?
Thanks in advance.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
After I drained the battery to zero and recharge it, the battery life is not bad recently.
The first week after I got the phone, probably need to recharge twice within 24 hours. Now it only need charge once per 24 hours, each time has 15-20% left before charging. Some web surfing, apps, at least an hour and half bluetooth music playing. So now I am not sure for capture pictures and GPS navigation, how long the battery will last.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I factory reset it and started from scratch, without restoring any of my backups and I still have my text messages from my old 920. FYI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos