How is your 950Xl battery doing?

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine after heavy daily use ending up on the same level as my previous Lumia 930.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151215_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20151215_0001.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot, guys. Gave it a try, I like the statistics page. And I thought that I already knew every single battery app through the years and years ;) I remember when they became possible in the first place with 8.0, I think... ;) ;)

cailenletigre

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I came from using a Lumia 1520 also and I LOVED that phone. It was indestructible and it lasted forever. And I always bragged about how powerful and long lasting it was compared to the iPhone. I went in to MS Store last week because my 1520 had a crack and some hairline fractures by the buttons on the plastic and so I wanted to use my $50 replacement before it expired. They said they had no more 1520s and they were no longer being sold. So they said I could basically use the price I paid for the original 1520 and put it toward a new phone. So I was like damnnnnn jackpot I get a Lumia 950XL for less than a $100 out of pocket. Well I get home, and this phone is EXTREMELY WARM. And I noticed the battery was going down like mad. I did the hard reset and went to .29 before they pulled it. The warmth was a little better, but it was still getting hot for like no reason. Like on simple webpages, it would heat up and drain super fast. If I did a Netflix movie, it wasn't warm at all. I'd go into Messaging and it would be hot and drain again. Like, #1, why would they put the processor by where your hands always are holding it, and #2, why is the processor being allowed to get that warm, especially for menial tasks? I just have never seen a phone drain so fast, no matter what I do. I don't think I should have to turn off every single function for this phone to work. What's the point of them adding features if we have to turn them all off because MS doesn't know how to manage an octa-core power hungry beast like this Snapdragon. and they knew it too. That's why they put a liquid cooler inside it. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I miss my cool running 1520 with quad core. This 8-core crap isn't worth it if MS doesn't know how to power manage and do proper QA.

Is anyone else having problems with the phone constantly being very warm? Maybe mine is just a fluke and I need to take it back?

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I came from using a Lumia 1520 also and I LOVED that phone. It was indestructible and it lasted forever. And I always bragged about how powerful and long lasting it was compared to the iPhone. I went in to MS Store last week because my 1520 had a crack and some hairline fractures by the buttons on the plastic and so I wanted to use my $50 replacement before it expired. They said they had no more 1520s and they were no longer being sold. So they said I could basically use the price I paid for the original 1520 and put it toward a new phone. So I was like damnnnnn jackpot I get a Lumia 950XL for less than a $100 out of pocket. Well I get home, and this phone is EXTREMELY WARM. And I noticed the battery was going down like mad. I did the hard reset and went to .29 before they pulled it. The warmth was a little better, but it was still getting hot for like no reason. Like on simple webpages, it would heat up and drain super fast. If I did a Netflix movie, it wasn't warm at all. I'd go into Messaging and it would be hot and drain again. Like, #1, why would they put the processor by where your hands always are holding it, and #2, why is the processor being allowed to get that warm, especially for menial tasks? I just have never seen a phone drain so fast, no matter what I do. I don't think I should have to turn off every single function for this phone to work. What's the point of them adding features if we have to turn them all off because MS doesn't know how to manage an octa-core power hungry beast like this Snapdragon. and they knew it too. That's why they put a liquid cooler inside it. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I miss my cool running 1520 with quad core. This 8-core crap isn't worth it if MS doesn't know how to power manage and do proper QA.

Is anyone else having problems with the phone constantly being very warm? Maybe mine is just a fluke and I need to take it back?

Like all iphones etc the gets dissipated in the case, on new 950xl it does the same via water cooling, battery drain gets better once the few days / charges takes place, I get 1 1/2 days on my 950xl sometimes more. Heat reduces slot too after all phone updates and apps done too. I try to turn off edge as much as possible, didn't realise until dock came how many tabs open (15)

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Fyi, independent bench marks puts the 950xl above nexus 6p and Samsung s6 by 4 fps on benchmarks due to water-cooling

I can get 2days on normal battery usage, motion and glance on, hey Cortana off, all apps running in background. I use a program called battery sense, turned off that auto sense features just so I can look at stats. I'm able to pull off 1.1% drain normally.

Some apps like face book can be 20% if I use them I close them afterwards which still gets me a day battery life.

Last edited:

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My battery on 950XL lasts more than an entire day. I am not really on my phone that much, but when I put it on the charger at night, it's between 30 and 60%. Usually I might make one 20 minute phone call, browse the internet for 45 minutes, text maybe 50 times. I also don't have the best service in my office, so that likely is a drain.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My battery on 950XL lasts more than an entire day. I am not really on my phone that much, but when I put it on the charger at night, it's between 30 and 60%. Usually I might make one 20 minute phone call, browse the internet for 45 minutes, text maybe 50 times. I also don't have the best service in my office, so that likely is a drain.

Yeah, this is similar to my "general" experience too. As long as I'm ultra-careful about what gets enabled, and/or what I install let run background, I'm okay. Some apps seem to grab background slices, even if I disable them completely.
Viber is an example, I haven't used it for days (it's my occcasional WiFi call/text solution, I sort of gave up trying/making Google Voice work, it was maddeningly inconsistent, I'd almost swear Google did a platform check intentionally;-] ), but I'm still seeing battery drain from it, makes no sense, it's 100% background-disabled...
Per your low-signal drain, I wish there were a SIM-disable shortcut, like cell data, it's a big hassle to disable it in low-no-signal areas, and re-enable it, the way it is now, and you're right, it drains like crazy in that scenario, unless you completely disable the SIM.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's really up's and more downs lately in my experience. Some days I managed to end the days with 60-70% juice left but lately I barely managed to get by with a meager 12% remaining. Not sure if this is caused by Skype/Whatsapp but I get a feeling it really does affect battery life a lot. But I didn't seem to have this problem that bad on my M8 (rest in peace fella)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's really up's and more downs lately in my experience. Some days I managed to end the days with 60-70% juice left but lately I barely managed to get by with a meager 12% remaining. Not sure if this is caused by Skype/Whatsapp but I get a feeling it really does affect battery life a lot. But I didn't seem to have this problem that bad on my M8 (rest in peace fella)

For me, Skype video is a battery-killer (known issue, upvote it, I did once I realized it), I keep this disabled. If I get a Skype call and it re-enables itself, first thing I do is go back in and disable it. Irritating, but better than having a dead battery...
I don't run Whatsapp, but it does seem to get a bad rap, battery-wise.
Yeah, my wife's got my M8 now, and it runs W10m really well, and she very consistently has much better battery life than my 950XL, it's a bit discouraging, I'm hoping for great things with the anniversary build, overall. Better battery life, WiFi calling patched up, etc...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium