HD Voice on AT&T?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get the HD Voice calling with At&t? I know people have said that it works with the at&t branded phones. Talking to a tech support guy he said it should just work, if it is supported.

He also said that it did not appear visual voicemail was not supported. He believes it may be because it is an unlocked phone.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get the HD Voice calling with At&t? I know people have said that it works with the at&t branded phones. Talking to a tech support guy he said it should just work, if it is supported.

He also said that it did not appear visual voicemail was not supported. He believes it may be because it is an unlocked phone.
Works fine here on a branded phone.

Keep in mind HD voice only works between two compatible phones.

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
HD calling and vvm are both working on my at&t branded 950. Both just worked right out of the box

I have an unlocked 950 XL with an AT&T SIM. PMI, but I've looked and don't see where in settings you can see if HD Voice or VoLTE is or isn't enabled. Any advice would be appricated.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Go to settings > system > phone > cellular & sim settings > sim settings. The option to enable HD voice is under "Enhanced 4G LTE Services." Not sure if the location to find the settings is different for unlocked phones.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T branded phones have optimizations and additional software to make them work with HD voice. As is usually the case with unlocked phones, they don't usually support all the little things that a specific carrier may offer, such as Wi-Fi calling or HD voice. If anything, we'd have to wait for a software update from Microsoft or maybe software from AT&T that can be downloaded to unlocked devices to make them compatible.

You shouldn't expect any unlocked device to support everything that the 20+ GSM carriers in the US (not including around the world) may offer feature wise.

In a perfect world maybe.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am a little disappointed. This is my first unlocked phone. I was under the impression that AT&T cut out features. It looks like they add features.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
AT&T doesn't support unlocked, unbranded phones. The end.

It's really aggravating, but the way it is. We won't be getting VoLTE on an unlocked dual-SIM device. Ever.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

It's really aggravating, but the way it is. We won't be getting VoLTE on an unlocked dual-SIM device. Ever.

So, how do I have an ATT provided nano sim in my 950XL and LTE coverage listed in the network?

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Well, if by "we" you mean AT&T customers.

I'm guessing at some point T-Mobile will get with MS and straighten these features out. But AT&T--remember, the company whose CEO Randall Stephenson sent a cease-and-desist letter to a customer daring to email him with a suggestion for how better to serve their customers--will never, ever support an unlocked, unbranded phone. Ever.

Ever.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So what you guys are saying is that in addition to that endless thread about Verizon, we needed another one "Will an unlocked 950XL work on AT&T" ?!

You would hope whatever negotiations got the 950 on AT&T would also stipulate that they properly support other MS phones.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
So, how do I have an ATT provided nano sim in my 950XL and LTE coverage listed in the network?

I think you misunderstood my point. I have LTE on my XL as well. Works great.

HD voice (or Voice Over LTE, VoLTE) will not be supported by AT&T. They want to sell you their 950. When you are connected to LTE and place a call on an unlocked, unbranded phone, your data drops to 4g, indicating a standard quality GSM voice call.

VoLTE or HD voice is extremely crystal clear and what AT&T doesn't support on non-branded phones like the XL.It carries the voice transmission over, well, LTE (much higher bandwidth) vs the older compressed voice tech (GSM voice) that AT&T only allows on unlocked phones.

That's what we won't get.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On AT&T you also need to be using the nxtgenphone APN. APN Descriptions and Characteristics | AT&T Developer

Requirements for VoLTE calls:
  • Both sending and receiving phone must physically support VoLTE in their hardware and firmware
  • Both sending and receiving phone must be configured for VoLTE via APN
  • Both sending and receiving phone must be connected to a VoLTE enabled tower
Any one of these missing from either side of the call = no VoLTE.

VoLTE is a protocol. AT&T should not be selectively blocking enabled phones whether carrier locked or not. It is a standard. Lumia 950 and 950 XL of any variant are enabled in the hardware and the OS firmware (independent of carrier firmware) for VoLTE.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

VoLTE is something that is on CDMA phones voice over LTE gsm phones or carriers have this already the enhances wifi calling and hd voice which is something that is added to your att account on the backend and if the phone supports it will be on depending on your area as this isn't available everywhere.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
VoLTE is something that is on CDMA phones voice over LTE gsm phones or carriers have this already the enhances wifi calling and hd voice which is something that is added to your att account on the backend and if the phone supports it will be on depending on your area as this isn't available everywhere.
I know. I live in a VoLTE area...was one of the first in the country. VoLTE works on branded AT&T devices, not the XL. Maybe one day, but I highly doubt it. AT&T is too busy selling/supporting it's branded 950 to care about a random dual-SIM unbranded, unlocked device that's not theirs.

Prediction: the XL will never get VoLTE on AT&T. Feel free to carve this in stone and re-visit every 6 months. It will remain true. They don't have access to the ROM to integrate the OS code that's necessary. I'm even using the nextgenphone APN on my SIM (from the Note 5, which had VoLTE working fine). No VoLTE on the XL.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
On AT&T you also need to be using the nxtgenphone APN. APN Descriptions and Characteristics | AT&T Developer

Requirements for VoLTE calls:
  • Both sending and receiving phone must physically support VoLTE in their hardware and firmware
  • Both sending and receiving phone must be configured for VoLTE via APN
  • Both sending and receiving phone must be connected to a VoLTE enabled tower
Any one of these missing from either side of the call = no VoLTE.

VoLTE is a protocol. AT&T should not be selectively blocking enabled phones whether carrier locked or not. It is a standard. Lumia 950 and 950 XL of any variant are enabled in the hardware and the OS firmware (independent of carrier firmware) for VoLTE.
This is partially correct. For VoLTE calls to happen only the sending phone needs to be VoLTE capable. If the receiving phone is not VolTE capable then the call can still happen over LTE. I own ATT enabled VoLTE phones and ATT feature (nonsmartphone) phones. When i call one of my feature phones from my VoLTE phone, the call carries over LTE, i.e. on the VoLTE phone i never see the LTE symbol change to 4G. Yes, nxtgenphone APN is a must, but both phones in a call are not required to for it to be carried over VoLTE, only one. This is because both towers (sending and receiving) are doing the job of this "voip conversion". The reverse is possible too. When Non VoLTE phone calls VoLTE phone, the receiving phone carries the call over LTE. Again, the towers are doing the magic.

Now, the HD Voice is a different thing. ATT tier 1 support folks need to decouple (meaning to quit making them the same thing; there is a difference between VoLTE and HD Voice) VoLTE from HD Voice. Yes, HD Voice is one feature from the VoLTE protocol. Only for HD Voice two phones are required for a "HD Voice call" to happen, but not for VoLTE. The high bandwidth audio codec for HD Voice to happen is embedded in phone's LTE modem, hence the need of two phones to work.

Analogus to VoLTE is Skype, because Skype uses VOIP (voice-over-IP) protocol. VoLTE is one form of VOIP.

Last edited:

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings > system > phone > cellular & sim settings > sim settings. The option to enable HD voice is under "Enhanced 4G LTE Services." Not sure if the location to find the settings is different for unlocked phones.

Strange, but I had this setting, but now it is not there. I'm running a branded att phone. Anyone else lose this setting?

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Update

I removed the SIM and restarted the phone so that it identified there was no sim.

Reinserted the sim, restarted the phone, and the setting reappeared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb