06-11-2016 01:48 PM
26 12
tools
    Has anyone been able to get the HD Voice calling with At&t? I know people have said that it works with the at&t branded phones. Talking to a tech support guy he said it should just work, if it is supported.

He also said that it did not appear visual voicemail was not supported. He believes it may be because it is an unlocked phone.
    11-26-2015 03:45 PM
    HD calling and vvm are both working on my at&t branded 950. Both just worked right out of the box
    11-26-2015 03:48 PM
    Has anyone been able to get the HD Voice calling with At&t? I know people have said that it works with the at&t branded phones. Talking to a tech support guy he said it should just work, if it is supported.

He also said that it did not appear visual voicemail was not supported. He believes it may be because it is an unlocked phone.
    Works fine here on a branded phone.

Keep in mind HD voice only works between two compatible phones.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    11-26-2015 04:03 PM
    HD calling and vvm are both working on my at&t branded 950. Both just worked right out of the box
    I have an unlocked 950 XL with an AT&T SIM. PMI, but I've looked and don't see where in settings you can see if HD Voice or VoLTE is or isn't enabled. Any advice would be appricated.
    11-26-2015 04:08 PM
    Go to settings > system > phone > cellular & sim settings > sim settings. The option to enable HD voice is under "Enhanced 4G LTE Services." Not sure if the location to find the settings is different for unlocked phones.
    11-26-2015 04:19 PM
    The AT&T branded phones have optimizations and additional software to make them work with HD voice. As is usually the case with unlocked phones, they don't usually support all the little things that a specific carrier may offer, such as Wi-Fi calling or HD voice. If anything, we'd have to wait for a software update from Microsoft or maybe software from AT&T that can be downloaded to unlocked devices to make them compatible.

You shouldn't expect any unlocked device to support everything that the 20+ GSM carriers in the US (not including around the world) may offer feature wise.

In a perfect world maybe.
    11-26-2015 04:20 PM
    iPhones and some recent Android phones support wifi calling.
    11-26-2015 04:54 PM
    I am a little disappointed. This is my first unlocked phone. I was under the impression that AT&T cut out features. It looks like they add features.
    rjl2001 likes this.
    11-26-2015 08:29 PM
    AT&T doesn't support unlocked, unbranded phones. The end.

It's really aggravating, but the way it is. We won't be getting VoLTE on an unlocked dual-SIM device. Ever.
    11-26-2015 09:59 PM

It's really aggravating, but the way it is. We won't be getting VoLTE on an unlocked dual-SIM device. Ever.
    So, how do I have an ATT provided nano sim in my 950XL and LTE coverage listed in the network?
    11-26-2015 10:11 PM

Well, if by "we" you mean AT&T customers.

I'm guessing at some point T-Mobile will get with MS and straighten these features out. But AT&T--remember, the company whose CEO Randall Stephenson sent a cease-and-desist letter to a customer daring to email him with a suggestion for how better to serve their customers--will never, ever support an unlocked, unbranded phone. Ever.

Ever.
    11-26-2015 10:34 PM
    So what you guys are saying is that in addition to that endless thread about Verizon, we needed another one "Will an unlocked 950XL work on AT&T" ?!

You would hope whatever negotiations got the 950 on AT&T would also stipulate that they properly support other MS phones.
    TexasLabRat and libra89 like this.
    11-26-2015 10:47 PM
    So what you guys are saying is that in addition to that endless thread about Verizon, we needed another one "Will an unlocked 950XL work on AT&T" ?!
    Don't forget the side-thread to contain the inevitable derail posts ;)
    11-26-2015 10:49 PM
    So, how do I have an ATT provided nano sim in my 950XL and LTE coverage listed in the network?
    I think you misunderstood my point. I have LTE on my XL as well. Works great.

HD voice (or Voice Over LTE, VoLTE) will not be supported by AT&T. They want to sell you their 950. When you are connected to LTE and place a call on an unlocked, unbranded phone, your data drops to 4g, indicating a standard quality GSM voice call.

VoLTE or HD voice is extremely crystal clear and what AT&T doesn't support on non-branded phones like the XL.It carries the voice transmission over, well, LTE (much higher bandwidth) vs the older compressed voice tech (GSM voice) that AT&T only allows on unlocked phones.

That's what we won't get.
    11-26-2015 11:03 PM
    On AT&T you also need to be using the nxtgenphone APN. APN Descriptions and Characteristics | AT&T Developer

Requirements for VoLTE calls:
    • Both sending and receiving phone must physically support VoLTE in their hardware and firmware
    • Both sending and receiving phone must be configured for VoLTE via APN
    • Both sending and receiving phone must be connected to a VoLTE enabled tower

Any one of these missing from either side of the call = no VoLTE.

VoLTE is a protocol. AT&T should not be selectively blocking enabled phones whether carrier locked or not. It is a standard. Lumia 950 and 950 XL of any variant are enabled in the hardware and the OS firmware (independent of carrier firmware) for VoLTE.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    11-28-2015 01:21 AM

VoLTE is something that is on CDMA phones voice over LTE gsm phones or carriers have this already the enhances wifi calling and hd voice which is something that is added to your att account on the backend and if the phone supports it will be on depending on your area as this isn't available everywhere.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-28-2015 01:27 AM
    VoLTE is something that is on CDMA phones voice over LTE gsm phones or carriers have this already the enhances wifi calling and hd voice which is something that is added to your att account on the backend and if the phone supports it will be on depending on your area as this isn't available everywhere.
    I know. I live in a VoLTE area...was one of the first in the country. VoLTE works on branded AT&T devices, not the XL. Maybe one day, but I highly doubt it. AT&T is too busy selling/supporting it's branded 950 to care about a random dual-SIM unbranded, unlocked device that's not theirs.

Prediction: the XL will never get VoLTE on AT&T. Feel free to carve this in stone and re-visit every 6 months. It will remain true. They don't have access to the ROM to integrate the OS code that's necessary. I'm even using the nextgenphone APN on my SIM (from the Note 5, which had VoLTE working fine). No VoLTE on the XL.
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-28-2015 12:02 PM
    On AT&T you also need to be using the nxtgenphone APN. APN Descriptions and Characteristics | AT&T Developer

Requirements for VoLTE calls:
    • Both sending and receiving phone must physically support VoLTE in their hardware and firmware
    • Both sending and receiving phone must be configured for VoLTE via APN
    • Both sending and receiving phone must be connected to a VoLTE enabled tower

Any one of these missing from either side of the call = no VoLTE.

VoLTE is a protocol. AT&T should not be selectively blocking enabled phones whether carrier locked or not. It is a standard. Lumia 950 and 950 XL of any variant are enabled in the hardware and the OS firmware (independent of carrier firmware) for VoLTE.
    This is partially correct. For VoLTE calls to happen only the sending phone needs to be VoLTE capable. If the receiving phone is not VolTE capable then the call can still happen over LTE. I own ATT enabled VoLTE phones and ATT feature (nonsmartphone) phones. When i call one of my feature phones from my VoLTE phone, the call carries over LTE, i.e. on the VoLTE phone i never see the LTE symbol change to 4G. Yes, nxtgenphone APN is a must, but both phones in a call are not required to for it to be carried over VoLTE, only one. This is because both towers (sending and receiving) are doing the job of this "voip conversion". The reverse is possible too. When Non VoLTE phone calls VoLTE phone, the receiving phone carries the call over LTE. Again, the towers are doing the magic.

Now, the HD Voice is a different thing. ATT tier 1 support folks need to decouple (meaning to quit making them the same thing; there is a difference between VoLTE and HD Voice) VoLTE from HD Voice. Yes, HD Voice is one feature from the VoLTE protocol. Only for HD Voice two phones are required for a "HD Voice call" to happen, but not for VoLTE. The high bandwidth audio codec for HD Voice to happen is embedded in phone's LTE modem, hence the need of two phones to work.

Analogus to VoLTE is Skype, because Skype uses VOIP (voice-over-IP) protocol. VoLTE is one form of VOIP.
    Last edited by kabel_mk; 12-01-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Further clarification
    RumoredNow and Jon Wolthuis like this.
    12-01-2015 06:43 PM
    Go to settings > system > phone > cellular & sim settings > sim settings. The option to enable HD voice is under "Enhanced 4G LTE Services." Not sure if the location to find the settings is different for unlocked phones.
    Strange, but I had this setting, but now it is not there. I'm running a branded att phone. Anyone else lose this setting?
    12-07-2015 06:06 AM
    Update

I removed the SIM and restarted the phone so that it identified there was no sim.

Reinserted the sim, restarted the phone, and the setting reappeared.
    12-07-2015 09:51 AM
    HD Voice just started working on my Lumia 830 out in the boonies where I live :)
    03-14-2016 10:15 AM
    Which provider?
    I'm on T-Mobile now, no VVM anymore (I had this working in AT&T) I switched, hoping to get WIFI calling and VoLTE, very soon. Often in an area on weekends where I have great WiFi, but no cell, so WiFi calling is key to my usage, in the long run.
    04-20-2016 03:11 PM
    I just tried this on my at&t 950. the item isnt on my settings page. I wonder if its because im on redstone.

edit: got a pop up saying my phone needed to restart to fix carrier settings.

after the restart it was there again. So this remove sim trick seems to be the fix!wp_ss_20160603_0001.jpg
    Last edited by goldenpipes; 06-03-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    06-03-2016 11:41 AM
    I just tried this on my at&t 950. the item isnt on my settings page. I wonder if its because im on redstone.

edit: got a pop up saying my phone needed to restart to fix carrier settings.

after the restart it was there again. So this remove sim trick seems to be the fix!
    I'm so jealous/annoyed. As a 950XL user on AT&T, I don't get how they get away with offering this to some customers, and not others, solely based on how/where the phone was purchased.
    Imagine a scenario where if an ISP didn't sell you their PC/Router/Switch/etc., they would only let you access certain "features" on their service. I'm almost positive this would lead to some sort of legal action, but who knows.
    06-10-2016 07:05 PM
    Double check your APN settings: here's what i have:

wp_ss_20160610_0001.jpg

Edit: Also check this thread out.
    Last edited by goldenpipes; 06-11-2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added stuffs
    06-11-2016 12:06 AM
26 12