950 XL: Wi-fi connectivity issues?

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
At least for me, other devices connected to the same wifi network have no internet access problems. Given that I have a hard time thinking this is a problem with the access point or the router.

anon(9740454)

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issues... It was connected to my wireless AC router on the 5 band. I know this band works because I have a surface pro 3 connected as well. It was fast for the first 2 hours then it is very spotty. I have rebooted and reset both the router and phone. I am using dual sim but don't know if that is an issue.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue with wifi 5Ghz, after some minutes the device disconnects and i can't find any wifi networks. The only solution is to reboot. If i change on router from 80mhz to 20mhz it won't happen this but the device won't connect automattically after a reboot.

What about 40Mhz with "N" compatibility mode enabled? Might be a bug in the AC code on the phone.

anon(9740454)

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
So I have this issue with both 5 and 2 ac and n bands... Now I'm wondering if it's a phone issue... It works after I leave home for an hour, and come back. It will last about an hour or so then will be very slow

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
So far I have issues with the 5 GHz band only. It looses connection suddenly and the list of networks in range is very short then. What is strange, is that the 1520 on build 10586, which always worked on 5 GHz, also looses the connection at the same time, while the Surface Pro 3 is still connected. Maybe this is due to the MIMO capabilities of my Asus AC-87U?

pray4hope

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
So far I have issues with the 5 GHz band only. It looses connection suddenly and the list of networks in range is very short then. What is strange, is that the 1520 on build 10586, which always worked on 5 GHz, also looses the connection at the same time, while the Surface Pro 3 is still connected. Maybe this is due to the MIMO capabilities of my Asus AC-87U?

Same issue and same router.

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

So far I am having no issues using an Asus RT-AC68U running the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378_9313). I've had an SP1, SP2, and SP3 and IMHO the Marvell WiFI/BT adapters they use are hideous and don't play well in the sandbox with others. You might want to try moving your SP3 to 2.4GHz. The Marvell adapters - again IMHO from personal experience - can't walk and chew gum at the same time so you might try turning off it's BT. I think you'll be amazed at much better is does. My setup is perhaps different from most in that I own no G or B devices nor does anybody that might use my network. Thus I have 2.4GHz set up as 40MHz N only and 5GHz set up as N/AC mixed with 20/40/80MHz. Having not to support B is a wonderful thing, at least for my RT-AC68U

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
So far I am having no issues using an Asus RT-AC68U running the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378_9313). I've had an SP1, SP2, and SP3 and IMHO the Marvell WiFI/BT adapters they use are hideous and don't play well in the sandbox with others. You might want to try moving your SP3 to 2.4GHz. The Marvell adapters - again IMHO from personal experience - can't walk and chew gum at the same time so you might try turning off it's BT. I think you'll be amazed at much better is does. My setup is perhaps different from most in that I own no G or B devices nor does anybody that might use my network. Thus I have 2.4GHz set up as 40MHz N only and 5GHz set up as N/AC mixed with 20/40/80MHz. Having not to support B is a wonderful thing, at least for my RT-AC68U

I might turn off the other devices for testing, but lol, I will definitely not set the SP3 to 2.4 GHz because that is what I bought the AC-87U for. But as there is MIMO, I could imagine that the mobiles are put on a different stream than the SP3, and therefore it still works while the mobiles are blocked. The 1520 and SP3 never had any problems. I also do not run any B or G devices.

However, I have an even bigger problem with the XL right now as it crashes during calls if the Band 2 is paired.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having Wifi issues as well, the 950XL completely kills off my network and I would have to restart my router in order to get my WiFi back. I'm using a TP-Link C7 Archer.

sarcasticWeasel

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I am having Wifi issues as well, the 950XL completely kills off my network and I would have to restart my router in order to get my WiFi back. I'm using a TP-Link C7 Archer.

I have this same phone and router and am seeing the exact same issue. I have had to reboot my router a dozen times since Friday.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have this same phone and router and am seeing the exact same issue. I have had to reboot my router a dozen times since Friday.

I am finding that keeping my 950XL connected to the 5ghz reduces the number of times I have to restart my router. But sometimes, the 950XL just doesn't see the 5ghz network and I would have to restart the phone or router. Give that a shot in the meantime.

G-Burnette

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 950 XL connects just fine at home. I have a very old Belkin router there. I'm having problems connecting to my wifi at work however.
It does detect if I type in an incorrect password, but is unable to actually connect. I'm getting this message when I try to connect to either the 24GHz or the 5GHz.

Can't connect Your phone can't connect to the Wi-Fi network <Network SSID>

Of course my ancient Lumia 900 that I finally replaced last weekend (running Windows 7) had no problems..

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Same issue as you guys. No problems connecting and staying connected to my 2.4Ghz band. Connecting to my 5Ghz band is unstable and randomly loses connection to it with no ability to locate or connect to any 5Ghz connection afterwards. My only solution has been to reboot the device. Sometimes it will stay actually stay connected for the day but then other OS bugs will force me to reboot only start the vicious wifi circle issues over again for me.

Side note: My laptops, tablets and Lumia 1520 have no issues connecting and staying connected to my 5Ghz band.

cila_thai

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I guess my wife's XL has the same problem here. Since it's not my phone, so I have limited time with it...but on Monday I changed to 5 GHz..then the next day I was trying to check the phone out and it could see my router at all but all other devices were connecting fine. Today I got a complaint that the phone could not connect to wifi at home or at work...so it used up all 4G data for the month...so now my wife has to use slow connection for the rest of the month.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have had no issues with either 5ghz or 2.4. I am using an Amped Wireless Athena router. Here is my latest speedtest on 5ghz:
wp_ss_20151204_0001.jpg

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Linksys E4200 v1: Tomato 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-3.0-132 K26 USB Mega-VPN
works fine with 1520,xbox one's etc

I can connect to 5ghz but it says no internet connection
I can connect to 2.4ghz stable and perfect internet

I tried all sorts of config/band/channel etc but nothing helps
guess I wait for insider build next week with all appendage's crossed :?)

UPDATE!
It seems it does not like Wireless Network Mode "N"
I forced the router to "A" only and now 5Ghz internet works but...
its slower then using 2.4ghz - 23Mbit for 5ghz and 29Mbit for 2.4ghtz - :?(

Last edited:

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
To clarify - in my home I have two AP's. Both broadcast two networks that run N only, one network at 2.4Ghz and one network at 5Ghz. Both AP's broadcast both frequencies and for each of the two frequencies I broadcast the same SSID on both AP's (different SSID for each frequency but the SSID for each frequency is the same on each AP). Same security configuration and password as well between the AP's. My phone connects to one AP in my home just fine but not to the other. I'll have to dig further into their settings to see where they differ.

DrPuppy

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
There's possibly something else afoot here. I'm having continuous problems with my WiFi (Asus AC-56u on Merlin 378.56_2) and Lumia 640. I've been having it cut out occasionally, to the point of it being very, very annoying. Each time I'll have to restart the router.

Man, this in conjunction with another Windows 10 thing, my desktop, which has been having a "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" problem. Didn't restore my computer actually, ended up getting registry keys for WinSock from my laptop and adding them to the registry on my desktop. So far so good.

I'm trying to figure out what triggers each of these, but it might take some time. I'll post if I figure out anything. Assuming that this is the same problem, that is.

Last edited:

Latinoflayva

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have an AU stock (Optus) Lumia 950xl. WiFi was perfect. I did a factory reset, and after the reset, i couldn't even sign into my MS account because none of the WiFis would connect. Other phones and laptops connect perfectly. It can't connect to either of 2x routers, both of which have 5 and 2.4Ghz signals. So it can't connect to any of the 4 signals.

Trying another factory reset to see if it fixes it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05