Someone posted a speedtest on the Lumia 950XL on here the other day...

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The thread got closed for other reasons but before it was closed no one challenged this guys assertions the phone had a problem.

Has anyone tested their 950XL or 950? Is he testing it against a full blown computer with a good connection versus a Verizon/ATT tower?

My own tests w/ M8 for Win went ping 61ms, DL 49.77mbps, Upload 3.95mbps while my IP6Plus went ping 13ms, DL 49.71mbps, Upload 4.42mbps . (All phones were connected to my WiFi ) His ping was really bad. Hence the post. Home computer with my particular connection is at 9ms/117.44mb/4.42mb which is the wonderful folks at Charter.

Here's Jefstead's quote...
"My other devices average 30ms/113mb/25mb for ping/download/upload via Speedtest.net.
The 950XL averaged 125ms/36mb/16mb for the same test (done 10 times as I thought something might have been wrong)."

Thanks..

MG

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
There's another thread that is indicating that there could be issues with 5Ghz wifi connectivity. If your testing was on the 5Ghz band rather than 2.4, that could be part of the issue. Still early and highly speculative at this point but that might be something worth looking into.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm his findings. I just ran the speed test 4 separate times and got 153ms/73.85mbps/5.30mbps, and I have a 200/20mbps connection with Time Warner. Did the same test from my Surface sitting right next to it and tested at 9ms/128mbps/23.72mbps. This is on my 5ghz band also. But, I do understand we're comparing my SP4 to my XL, so yeah. I guess I could fire up my 1520 and test too.

snoopy1492

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. And i think part of the problem (at least for DL speed) is the way the apps used for testing work.
I have an sd card in my 950XL and when I was asked to set it up, I choosed to store downloaded files on the card.
If I do a speed test I'll get a 60-70mbps download speed.
If I ask win10m to store downloaded files in the phone, I'll get 200mbps...
I guess the app downloads a file which is stored either on the sd card or in the phone, so if it's in the sd card, the speed will be tied to the sd card write speed.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. And i think part of the problem (at least for DL speed) is the way the apps used for testing work.
I have an sd card in my 950XL and when I was asked to set it up, I choosed to store downloaded files on the card.
If I do a speed test I'll get a 60-70mbps download speed.
If I ask win10m to store downloaded files in the phone, I'll get 200mbps...
I guess the app downloads a file which is stored either on the sd card or in the phone, so if it's in the sd card, the speed will be tied to the sd card write speed.

yes makes sense..I've seen similar behavior on a android tablet and speedtest results got worse as the encrypted file system started to get corrupted..restored after factory wipe/reset.

however, that doesn't explain the poor ping times nor does it explain the difference in results when running on a 2.4Ghz network versus 5Ghz network so there's something else afoot as well. But as RumoredNow said..great first post :)

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Speed test on the 5Ghz band and Celluar ATT LTE...

Nice to see the 5Ghz problems being reported elsewhere aren't a universal issue. What are your router brand/model/settings for reference? Would be nice to have a "known good" configuration we can use as comparison to others.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see the 5Ghz problems being reported elsewhere aren't a universal issue. What are your router brand/model/settings for reference? Would be nice to have a "known good" configuration we can use as comparison to others.

So I have the Apple Time Capsule extreme connected to my time warner router both which support 2.4 and 5 wifi bands. The speed test was done using the apple wifi 5ghz and the cellular was done using att as that is my carrier. I am about to run another speed test connecting to my time warner router to the 5ghz band there to see the results so far the apple router has produced the faster speeds my service allows up to 300mbs down I have gotten closer using my nexus 6p which got 279mbs down and 50up connecting through the apple router vs the model from time warner which is their newest model to support 300 max in my area.

picturepete

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
OK

I have a gigabit connection up and down, using my Netgear nighthawk router I can get 150Mps download but can never get anything quicker than 10/12Mps upload, using my 930 I get 240Mbs up and down, so I guess there is something wrong........................

Pete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo