Build Quality - Creaking around bottom edge of phone

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Not liking it made in Vietnam. From developing country to 3rd world for manufacturing. Quality will go down. But they still cost us the same.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well if the creaking is just too much for you guys to put up with I'll take the device off of your hands for free. I'll even pay for shipping! :)

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine creaks as well. However, I noticed that it is not the back cover that makes the noise. It is the plastic area right above the CPU and heatpipe. If I push that area, with the back cover off, I can hear the noise... I fixed it with some paper... View attachment 117744View attachment 117745
I haven't noticed any creaking from that location (plastic part internally). I took off my back cover and did the squeezing just to be sure though.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I haven't noticed any creaking from that location (plastic part internally). I took off my back cover and did the squeezing just to be sure though.

Yeah, my cover makes a little bit of noise as well. But, the internal plastic area in my phone makes noise like in the video posted. Much louder and more annoying than the back cover noise. But sticking some paper beneath it gets rid of it for me, so its fine I suppose.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I didn't find anything when I first saw the OP post, but now a couple days later, it creaks like crazy. You guys are ruining my phone for me!! lol

Maybe it's getting dirty or a bit bent while in my pocket lol.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad a new thread was started on this topic. I posted this in another tread:

Anyone else notice the back cover creaks when you pinch it using your forefinger and thumb on the bottom left corner with the screen facing you? There seems to be a slight gap that causes a noise. I am positive the back cover is attached as tightly as possible.

The creaking completely diminishes any impression of a high quality flagship device.

jboogie3

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad a new thread was started on this topic. I posted this in another tread:

Anyone else notice the back cover creaks when you pinch it using your forefinger and thumb on the bottom left corner with the screen facing you? There seems to be a slight gap that causes a noise. I am positive the back cover is attached as tightly as possible.

The creaking completely diminishes any impression of a high quality flagship device.
I have the EXACT same creaking.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I really want this phone, but...do you all think that buying it will be worth the massive argument that's going to happen between my wife and me??? Ha ha
Should I postpone that argument for a higher-end WP to potentially be released in 2016??? :)

astroboy#WP

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the creak, once i tossed on a case you couldn't notice it anymore.

I am hoping once i get my Mozo cover that all will be well. :)

I don't use my credit card often. After ordering it from mozoaccessories.com my credit card information was stolen and some bogus charges were attempted in Ireland via the Xbox store. Not impressed. Just a warning to watch your card charges if you use a credit card to purchase your case.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the creaking on the 950XL display unit, and that was part of my decision to go 950 instead of XL. Now I just have to wait for the order to arrive and then try to get the thing unlocked. I send back my unlocked 950 in favor of the single-sim AT&T 950. Hope this works out, I had to give up my educators discount and pay an additional $100 for the AT&T phone.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Not liking it made in Vietnam. From developing country to 3rd world for manufacturing. Quality will go down. But they still cost us the same.

Do some research on how much of the world's electronics are made in 3rd world countries. So many different components and manufacturing plants. It all comes down to quality assurance and testing.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

That's kind of how I feel about it also. I still love the phone, but nothing premium I own "creaks" lol. I get the specs are more what makes it a flagship. But, there's no reason the plastic back should creak like it does. Plenty of phones have had plastic, removable backs that didn't make noise when grabbed.

Dan Rubino did a video about the Mozo case. Maybe we could ask him.

Yeah, maybe we should try that. I have a feeling that the Mozo backs have a little more premium feel to them.

I really want this phone, but...do you all think that buying it will be worth the massive argument that's going to happen between my wife and me??? Ha ha
Should I postpone that argument for a higher-end WP to potentially be released in 2016??? :)

I wouldn't say that you should wait, especially since this phone has all that you could ever want in a smartphone (especially spec wise). The creaking is a minor inconvenience and I've already taken mine back to the store and they could hear the noise pretty clearly. Funny enough, the black display unit didn't have the creaking noise, so that lets you know that it's possible that it only effects some devices. Terrible part is they have/had to place me back on the preorder list in order to get a replacement.

I noticed the creaking on the 950XL display unit, and that was part of my decision to go 950 instead of XL. Now I just have to wait for the order to arrive and then try to get the thing unlocked. I send back my unlocked 950 in favor of the single-sim AT&T 950. Hope this works out, I had to give up my educators discount and pay an additional $100 for the AT&T phone.

As I mentioned above, I didn't hear it on the display unit at the MSFT store when I took mine back up there. But, you have heard it on a display unit, so this means it's a pretty common problem. However, one that might not effect every device. Good luck with the 950 for sure. I would've went with it also had I not wanted the larger device, coming from a 1520 of course.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think because the plastic is so thin, taking it off multiple times leads to the issue. When I first got my phone, it didn't do it, but after dealing with multiple reboot issue related to apps on the SD card, I had to take the back cover of 20 times or so and the back started creaking. I also noticed the thin part of the plastic over around the charger started to buckle. Short answer, be careful taking of the back or just don't do it.

Also the only premium thing that I have that creeks is my 120 year old home 😊

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
With devices like the S-Book and S-Pro being in existence, issues like this are exactly how you know MS isn't really serious about Lumia. These are pretty much Windows 10 showcase phones and are nothing more.

The S-Book and S-Pro I guess are at heart also reference/showcase devices but at the same time they are much more than just that. They were clearly created with strong ambition and purpose to not just show off Windows but to also be above and beyond great hardware too.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
With devices like the S-Book and S-Pro being in existence, issues like this are exactly how you know MS isn't really serious about Lumia. These are pretty much Windows 10 showcase phones and are nothing more.

The S-Book and S-Pro I guess are at heart also reference/showcase devices but at the same time they are much more than just that. They were clearly created with strong ambition and purpose to not just show off Windows but to also be above and beyond great hardware too.

"These phones are built for the fans" that will shell out money for anything since they have waited 3 years for a good phone, and we need some people to test out our alpha OS. I don't mind the looks, but this phone would be better prices at$450, considering a Nexus 6p is $499. Also, if Windows phone users comprised 5% market share and this the only problem, the news would call it creak gate and Nadella would tell us we were talking off the cases wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon