Build Quality - Creaking around bottom edge of phone

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 925 is made of aluminum but has a plastic back. I've had two and they both creak. It's nothing that really bothers me, though, because it's been an excellent phone. I'm ready for the 950XL now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I really want this phone, but...do you all think that buying it will be worth the massive argument that's going to happen between my wife and me??? Ha ha
Should I postpone that argument for a higher-end WP to potentially be released in 2016??? :)
Well as the saying goes, you can be right or you can be happy. You can't be both. :)

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's another easy fix to try.

Mine had a creak in the lower left corner, the same one with the slot to remove the back cover. The cover didn't close all the way. There was a fraction of a millimetre gap, so small you could barely see it, but when I pressed on the back cover the slight movement caused a creaking noise.

I fixed it by adding some cling film (e.g. Saran wrap) between the cover and the phone, laying across the corner. It took two layers to get enough thickness to stop the movement. I trimmed the excess film very carefully with a razor blade and scraped any I missed away with my finger nail. It's completely unnoticeable and now the cover doesn't move so there is no more noise.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's another easy fix to try.
I fixed it by adding some cling film (e.g. Saran wrap) between the cover and the phone, laying across the corner. It took two layers to get enough thickness to stop the movement. I trimmed the excess film very carefully with a razor blade and scraped any I missed away with my finger nail. It's completely unnoticeable and now the cover doesn't move so there is no more noise.

Just screams "Premium"

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
$649 phone should not creak like this. The shell on the g3 and g4 are of similar build but much better fit.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
$649 phone should not creak like this. The shell on the g3 and g4 are of similar build but much better fit.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
Stuff happens. I got a recall notice on my Honda for defective airbags. Tesla had a car burn up and believe it or not, the new Iphone 6 has a return rate because something about a few of them doesn't work. This is fact as my son works at AT&T corporate store. So expect a few phones priced at any level to have an issue. Either return it, exchange it or if the squeak is that annoying, fix it. Some in this thread have offered solutions.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad a new thread was started on this topic. I posted this in another tread:

Anyone else notice the back cover creaks when you pinch it using your forefinger and thumb on the bottom left corner with the screen facing you? There seems to be a slight gap that causes a noise. I am positive the back cover is attached as tightly as possible.

The creaking completely diminishes any impression of a high quality flagship device.
The avid fans on here will defend it saying put paper some paper, it's just a back cover etc. But think for a second if we would make same concessions if this were the iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy device. For the price we pay for these, no one should have to find silly workarounds. It's like buying a new car off the lot and having a creaking suspension but going "it's just the suspension. No big deal".

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Stuff happens. I got a recall notice on my Honda for defective airbags. Tesla had a car burn up and believe it or not, the new Iphone 6 has a return rate because something about a few of them doesn't work. This is fact as my son works at AT&T corporate store. So expect a few phones priced at any level to have an issue. Either return it, exchange it or if the squeak is that annoying, fix it. Some in this thread have offered solutions.
This mentality is absurd. Stop making excuses for Microsoft. It's ok to support the platform (I do - I own the Lumia 1520, Lumia 950XL and SP4), just don't be blind about it. You're coming off the same if not worse than the iPhone fans on MacRumors.

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I love WP, adored my 2 1520's. Nothing about them feels less than the best. I put those up against Apple and Samsung any day. But my one day old 950XL makes me feel ripped-off every time I pick it up to use it. The back creaks in the left corner, no getting around it. You can look at it and see the gap between the plastic of the cover and the plastic around the screen. I'll try the paper thing and see if that helps, but I have to say I feel like a sucker for spending so much on an obviously inferior phone.

And don't even talk to me about the "buttons". Those things are so sharp you could cut yourself on them.

I'm waiting for Mozo with A LOT of hope. The edge to edge screen of my new phone is beautiful. I even love the WM10 OS. But the build of the cover is just bad all the way around.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I'm a windows fan the max and have all of their products, to include each major Lumia and plenty of Windows Phone devices before that. You shouldn't have to accept what you feel is not right about a product you paid for. With that said, I called my local MSFT store today and talked to the manager I usually deal with. She said they had some more 950 XLs in white that had come in. Sure enough, took it in, she saw that I was using the double sided adhesive and also heard the creaking. She said that was not normal, or acceptable and quickly exchanged it out. The new one is a 1000 times more sturdy in the backing and not loose at all. Not sure what'll happen if the back has to be taken off a few times. But right now, there's not one sound coming from it.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This mentality is absurd. Stop making excuses for Microsoft. It's ok to support the platform (I do - I own the Lumia 1520, Lumia 950XL and SP4), just don't be blind about it. You're coming off the same if not worse than the iPhone fans on MacRumors.
What excuses? Take the dang thing back, do some modification it or live with it. What's it to you?? If you want to gripe about Microsoft, be my guest but quit acting like you run skit around here,

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
My 950XL creaks a little on the left side, but I never would have even noticed if I hadn't started poking and prodding the back of my device because of this thread. Normal use doesn't cause it to creak, so I'm not worried about it.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL creaks a little on the left side, but I never would have even noticed if I hadn't started poking and prodding the back of my device because of this thread. Normal use doesn't cause it to creak, so I'm not worried about it.

Mine creaks with normal use; that's how I found out about it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No creaks on mine yet either. I've not put any padding in there, just snapped the case back on.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The irony, all the years Samsung WP devices have been called cheap for their faux metal plastic backs while giving the same option of removable battery and SD card slot but slap a Lumia label on a plastic phone and its fine, just stick a bit of paper in your $550+ new phone, yet users of ios devices are called sheep..... :confused:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tell a slight lie. I have no creaking around the bottom of the case, mine flexes a little at the top left corner. Not enough to bother me overly though. I did think the case felt a little on the flimsy side when I removed it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My creakiness comes and goes, and sometimes on different corners. Certainly not enough for me to get too worried about or even notice most of the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb