Android Apps Question

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
The search forum function here isn't the best, so I need to ask a question that has probably been discussed before. Having just picked up my 950XL, The lack of apps is so much more apparent in practical use. After setting this phone up, I'm already pretty sure I want to return it. Unless there's some hope of Android apps being available in the near future. I've read some posts on the subject, but haven't come away with a real understanding of whether or not this will happen. If I can't get the Android apps I need on this phone, I really don't have much use for it even with the wiz bang functions it does have.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
We were hoping for a tool to port android apps over, but MS has backed off, because of security issues. The project is still alive, but the focus has shifted towards the second project; porting over iOS apps.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
We were hoping for a tool to port android apps over, but MS has backed off, because of security issues. The project is still alive, but the focus has shifted towards the second project; porting over iOS apps.
Which is a better idea I think, even though I despise the OS, they do have the best selection and quality of apps, so I'm definitely looking forward to proejct Islandwood progressing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Which is a better idea I think, even though I despise the OS, they do have the best selection and quality of apps, so I'm definitely looking forward to proejct Islandwood progressing.

The quality of the major apps are now about the same between iOS and Android, although it wasn't always that way.

I agree that Project Islandwood is better in theory than Project Astoria. I think the selling point of Astoria was that it takes a lot less work, in some cases almost none, to get the apps onto WP. At the moment, making porting as easy as possible could be the single most important factor. Sure, using Islandwood to take an iOS app and make it a universal Microsoft app is better in the end, but less developers are likely to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos