03-23-2016 05:03 PM
165 12345 ...
tools
    They have a sale going on for $3/month or $30 for a year for the Premium version. Voice -> Text conversion is a really useful feature for me.
    GSOgymrat likes this.
    12-01-2015 12:48 PM
    I got iseevm to work, but noticed that I don't get notifications for missed calls on my Band 2. So. That is more important to me that VVM.

Went back to basic voice mail. I can live with that for now.
    12-01-2015 12:57 PM
    I got iseevm to work, but noticed that I don't get notifications for missed calls on my Band 2. So. That is more important to me that VVM.
    I haven't taken the plunge yet, is opting out of YouMail easy?
    12-01-2015 01:44 PM
    BS, semantics perhaps but it is carrier software. True, it is burned into the carrier specific ROM so technically not a separate store acquirable app but it is an app none the less.
    No VVM doesn't require any carrier software. I have a Lumia 1520.3. Its factory unlocked, never even sold in this market. VVM works just fine on T-Mobile. So unless T-Mobile hacked the factory unlocked ROM, there is NO carrier software involved on the phone side.
    12-01-2015 01:47 PM
    Show us a picture of the icon on you home screen
    12-01-2015 02:32 PM
    I blame Verizon. In the past they have forced Microsoft to remove the stock VVM configuration on Verizon branded devices so they can install their own craptastic app and charge you and extra $3 a month for VVM. I bet that process of making it modular makes it broken in a dual sim scenario.
    12-01-2015 03:16 PM
    Has anyone tried the Single SIM version of the Lumia 950XL with AT&T?

I understand that the Single SIM version is being sold to non-USA customers so presumably it can be ordered from an importer.

That could be the best of both worlds: 5.7" phone with extra horsepower for Continuum, potentially with AT&T Visual Voice Mail support.

If this is indeed a Dual SIM vs. Single SIM issue (and not an issue of AT&T picking which phones they want to support) then this could potentially work.
    Alex Zapata likes this.
    12-01-2015 08:02 PM
    BS, semantics perhaps but it is carrier software. True, it is burned into the carrier specific ROM so technically not a separate store acquirable app but it is an app none the less.
    None of those statements are true.

(1) T-Mobile/AT&T VVM *is not* carrier software on WP
    (2) T-Mobile/AT&T VVM *is not* burned into any carrier-specific WP firmware
    (3) T-Mobile/AT&T VVM *is not* an app in any way, shape, or form

VVM for T-Mobile and AT&T is part of the OS and exists in every single WP device ever sold since the VVM feature first debuted. Literally every single one -- factory unlocked ones, ones branded for carriers other than AT&T and T-Mobile, etc. Unfortunately, it is not supported on dual-SIM devices (even though technically it's present in the OS).

On the other hand, VVM for Verizon is not part of the OS -- and is in fact an app.
    12-01-2015 08:33 PM
    I finally got it to work. Seems to be a decent alternative, though I would prefer it built right into the phone tile and OS integrated instead of having an app. With the dual sim issue, is this something Microsoft can fix with a software update? I don't see why dual sim makes it a problem.
    Joe920 likes this.
    12-01-2015 10:13 PM
    exists in every single WP device ever sold since the VVM feature first debuted.
    Sorry this is not 100% true. Verizon forced Microsoft to remove the built in VVM on handsets so they could install their own garbage app.
    12-02-2015 07:14 AM
    Sorry this is not 100% true. Verizon forced Microsoft to remove the built in VVM on handsets so they could install their own garbage app.
    I'm very surprised they would have to do anything to any phone to prevent it from using built-in VVM. VVM must require some cooperation from the carrier to work. Are you saying Verizon forced Apple to remove the built-in VVM in iPhones?
    12-02-2015 07:43 AM
    I'm very surprised they would have to do anything to any phone to prevent it from using built-in VVM. VVM must require some cooperation from the carrier to work. Are you saying Verizon forced Apple to remove the built-in VVM in iPhones?
    Nope, same OS build on all Windows phones; same OS build on all iPhones. If the backend support is not there, the built-in VVM won't work. Verizon doesn't have a compliant backend, they built their own proprietary one that requires their app and monthly fee.

I'm still at a loss to understand exactly why dual-sim on Windows phones is an issue, but apparently it is.
    12-02-2015 08:16 AM
    Are you saying Verizon forced Apple to remove the built-in VVM in iPhones?
    Apple users get a free pass, all others on Verizon (Android, Winmo, Blackberry?) get the privilege of paying an extra $3 a month if they want VVM.
    12-02-2015 08:17 AM
    I'm still at a loss to understand exactly why dual-sim on Windows phones is an issue, but apparently it is.
    That's the $64 question. With the size of this community I suspect some members KNOW what the issue is, whether it is dual SIM or something else.

Fingers crossed it just takes a software tweak whatever it is. .
    12-02-2015 08:24 AM
    Nope, same OS build on all Windows phones; same OS build on all iPhones. If the backend support is not there, the built-in VVM won't work. Verizon doesn't have a compliant backend, they built their own proprietary one that requires their app and monthly fee.
    Apple users get a free pass, all others on Verizon (Android, Winmo, Blackberry?) get the privilege of paying an extra $3 a month if they want VVM.
    So which is it? Do iPhones use builtin VVM or a Verizon app? And if its an app, why would anyone think Verizon forced any phone maker to remove built-in VVM when they can and do force customers to use an app instead?
    12-02-2015 08:35 AM
    Verizon forced Microsoft to remove the built in VVM on handsets so they could install their own garbage app.
    Inaccurate. WP's built-in VVM does not support the VVM standard Verizon uses. The Verizon VVM app doesn't replace/override any built-in WP functionality.

I think the Verizon WP handsets support VVM on TMO and AT&T but I concede it's possible Verizon requested that support to be removed.

My overall point remains however that VVM for TMO and AT&T isn't an app in any way shape or form, it's part of the WP OS.
    12-02-2015 10:58 AM
    I've scanned this thread and see a lot of back and forth bickering on dual-SIM and "carrier software", etc. But has anyone successfully worked with AT&T to get visual voicemail working on a 950 XL? In the past when I bounced between different phones, I would occasionally have to call AT&T Support to get them to activate visual voicemail; they would say something about visual voicemail being tied to a particular phone and not able to transfer between different types of devices. Any thoughts here?
    12-02-2015 12:24 PM
    I have tried at the store and online. Had the same issue when my 920 first came out. Here are the facts, and don't let others fool you.

1. The OS has VVM support built into the phone
    2. Each carrier has to implement a back end to support it. After all it has to take an incoming call, send it to a VM server, and when a device queries the server, feed up the VMM compliant output to the OS.

So my guess is that either ATT hasn't turned on the feed to recognize 950XL when making the VVM query, OR MSFT changed the API's into VVM on WP10 and the existing calls won't work. Either way ATT has to code something on their servers and then it will work on the phone.
    metsfan421 likes this.
    12-02-2015 01:27 PM
    So my guess is that either ATT hasn't turned on the feed to recognize 950XL when making the VVM query, OR MSFT changed the API's into VVM on WP10 and the existing calls won't work. Either way ATT has to code something on their servers and then it will work on the phone.
    Incorrect.

Support for T-Mobile and AT&T VVM is built into the OS but not enabled for dual-SIM configurations. The issue is ENTIRELY on the phone itself. If Microsoft decides to make it work some day, an OS upgrade will let it work with no actions required from the MOs.
    metsfan421 likes this.
    12-02-2015 09:58 PM
    Incorrect.

Support for T-Mobile and AT&T VVM is built into the OS but not enabled for dual-SIM configurations. The issue is ENTIRELY on the phone itself. If Microsoft decides to make it work some day, an OS upgrade will let it work with no actions required from the MOs.
    Both theories seem plausible. Got a source?
    12-02-2015 10:21 PM
    No source but they are not equally plausible. The fact that foreign market Lumia 1520.3s get VVM on T-Mobile with no special action by the customer and the fact that moving the SIM from said 1520.3 directly to a 950XL and it not having VVM makes the theory that T-Mobile didn't "turn on" VVM for 950XLs the less likely of the two.
    12-03-2015 05:47 AM
    Dude, you are wrong. When I got my 1520 VVM didn't work out of the box. I had to call ATT and they had to toggle it on their side to get it to work. It worked with my 920 prior. It is 100% on the carrier side. Quit saying ATT and TMobile are built into the phone, that's not how it works. MSFT create VVM support and API's so it can be carrier agnostic. The carriers have to code the backend to support it.
    12-03-2015 10:03 AM
    theory that T-Mobile didn't "turn on" VVM for 950XLs the less likely of the two...

You don't know how software and API's work. Let me try to simplify it.

I am the VVM Server at ATT. I have a Method or Procedure called GetVVM(deviceID,deviceType,SecurityCredentials...) are passed in as parameters to the function.

In order to prevent unauthorized access, I make sure that my GetVVM methods throws out requests that I (ATT) deem not legit. So if a new phone shows up on my network, I don't process that VVM request, and the phone resorts back to standard voice mail mode.
    12-03-2015 10:08 AM
    Dude, you are wrong. When I got my 1520 VVM didn't work out of the box.
    No, I am not wrong. You are probably talking about an AT&T 1520 and definitely about AT&T as a carrier. I specifically said I was talking about a 1520.3 and T-Mobile.
    12-03-2015 10:10 AM
    ATT and windows mobile tech support both told me it is not available on the phone (950xl). I pushed Microsoft tech about it because I was willing to change carriers to keep the phone.
    12-03-2015 10:16 AM
165 12345 ...