Visit site
Look what O2 did for you.

"Chris_K
O2 Social Media Team
Chris_K
Re: Visual Voicemail 950/XL Windows 10 Mobile
Options

on ‎04-12-2015 15:50

Got an update - not the one many of you are after, but perhaps one you'll still be interested in. It's about VVM.

After some testing with Microsoft, we've got VVM working on all open market Windows Phone 10 devices - the 950, 950XL & 550. That means that even if you've not purchased these devices from O2 directly, you'll still be able to get VVM so long as you're using an O2 Pay Monthly SIM.

So to confirm - VVM now works on all Windows Phone 10 devices so long as you're using an O2 SIM - even those who may have got their device elsewhere.

For any Windows Phone 8.x device that is subsequently upgraded to Windows 10, for VVM to work the device will still need to have come direct from O2 and be using an O2 SIM. VVM will not work on non-O2 handsets that are using an O2 SIM, in this particular instance."

I am not holding my breath on AT&T doing the same. I am going to try to some magic with AT&T, but this is discouraging for sure for those buying unlocked 950/950xls.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Maybe some slow progress.
vvm-tweets.jpg
I am going to contact ATT, see if I can get through to someone who has tech knowledge, see if they can provision my 950XL IMEI as a 950, since it should have the exact same capabilities as far as they are concerned.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
After setup the new Lumia 950 and playing around with all the apps, I discovered THIS in the phone app:
Single-SIM or Dual-SIM in Germany?

I just got done chatting with "Eric" at AT&T. He seemed quite knowledgeable, and said he's had 3 other 950XL support cases this week. I ran the idea of assigning a 950 configuration to my IMEI, no surprise he can't do that.

One thing he did mention was to wait 3-6 months, by then MS and ATT should have an agreement in place which simply means that Microsoft provides AT&T with a list of the IMEI numbers, and AT&T load them in their system and assign it a configuration. At that point things should work right. I guess a higher volume of complaints about the issue in both places couldn't hurt could it?

He also said he's been reading about he 950XL, thinks it's a fantastic phone and can't wait to see it fully functional on their network.

The joys of being a day 1 adopter.

Edited chat transcript below:
Code:
Eric : How can I assist you today?
[pepper] : Hello Eric. Before I waste your time, are you "first level" or do you have access to more technical resources? 
Eric : [pepper], I am Advanced Tech Support for AT&T Mobility. I have lots of tools at my disposal, sir.
[pepper] : Great! Here is my issue. I bought a Lumia 950XL from Microsoft. It is the dual-sim variant. Have you dealt with any of those? 
Eric : Yes sir.
[pepper] : In my online account the device shows as "unknown" which makes perfect sense, it is a new device and AT&T doesn't sell it. (RM-1116) 
[pepper] : Is that the reason I can't get Visual Voicemail? 
Eric : Correct, sir. On both statements.
Eric : You will also have difficulties with LTE signals.
Eric : Great phone, though. Phonescoop.com loves that device.
[pepper] : So I guess my question is what can be done about it? Can you provision so that my IMEI number has the correct capabilities?
 If you could tell the system that my phone is a Lumia 950, for example, since they have the exact same capabilities. 
Eric : Not for 3 to 6 months, sir. By then the manufacturer will have reached an agreement with AT&T and we will have the appropriate IMEIs for our system.
Eric : I've had 3 of these in the last week. Same issues. I reconnected them and re-registered. Troubleshot for half an hour each and the issues, remained.
Eric : My apologies, sir.
[pepper] : So basically Microsoft has to give you a list of IMEIs and they get loaded in the system, then things should work? 
Eric : Absolutely correct! :o)
[pepper] : Seems it would be pretty simple to add RM-1116 as a valid device type and give it the same configuration as RM-1105, until that happens.
 At least that way your customers would be happy. 
Eric : I understand, sir...unfortunately....
Eric : I would counsel patience, sir.
[pepper] : lol

Last edited:

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got done chatting with "Eric" at AT&T. He seemed quite knowledgeable, and said he's had 3 other 950XL support cases this week. One thing he mentioned was to wait 3-6 months, by then MS and ATT should have an agreement in place which simply means that Microsoft provides AT&T with a list of the IMEI numbers, and AT&T load them in their system and assign it a configuration. At that point things should work right.

Unless and until the WP OS supports VVM on dual-SIM devices, nothing AT&T does will get VVM working on dual-SIM 950/950XL handsets. This is not a provisioning issue, it's an issue with what WP supports, and its built-in VVM is not currently supported on dual-SIM devices. Period.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
After some testing with Microsoft, we've got VVM working on all open market Windows Phone 10 devices - the 950, 950XL & 550. That means that even if you've not purchased these devices from O2 directly, you'll still be able to get VVM so long as you're using an O2 Pay Monthly SIM.

So to confirm - VVM now works on all Windows Phone 10 devices so long as you're using an O2 SIM - even those who may have got their device elsewhere.

In the UK it's probably the case that the only "open market" devices they're familiar with are single-SIM variants.

Built-in VVM is unequivocally not supported on dual-SIM WP devices currently.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You keep saying that, you also keep not providing a reference. How do you know this to be unequivocally a fact?

At this point I don't care who is to blame, and I'm more concerned about whether I'm getting LTE and whether hotspot and other advanced features work than I am about voicemail. That's why I'm hammering both AT&T and Microsoft.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that tai4de2 is correct. I don't have one of the new phones, but I did purchase a dual-SIM 640 XL a few months ago. Visual Voice Mail is the only missing feature that was not obvious before my purchase. The consensus answer while searching both this community and Microsoft's own answers forums was that VVM doesn't work with dual-SIM Windows Phones. Tai4de2's explanation is consistent with the previous answers for the VVM issue with dual-SIM phones, and I don't see any indication that anything has changed in that regard with the launch of Windows 10 mobile.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Consensus doesn't make it true.

A link to a page at Microsoft that says VVM is not supported on dual-sim Windows phones would.

Even then, there's the feedback app. If it has been decided by Microsoft for whatever reason not to implement it, they could change their minds.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
If it has been decided by Microsoft for whatever reason not to implement it, they could change their minds.

Indeed.

But *that* is exactly what would be required -- not wishful thinking that AT&T and Microsoft will make some kind of agreement, or that some tech can provision a device correctly, etc.

charliekrad

May 19, 2012
Visit site

This was my thread, i was looking for that answer. Great news atleast we know where the visual voicemail platform is heading, so you can pop in any carrier sim card which supports VVM in an unlocked Windows 10 Mobile device and it should work.

In the UK it's probably the case that the only "open market" devices they're familiar with are single-SIM variants.

Yes, the 950/XL are both single sim variants in the UK i have not seen a Dual-Sim one for sale. We do not get many dual sim variants over here at all.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This was my thread, i was looking for that answer. Great news atleast we know where the visual voicemail platform is heading, so you can pop in any carrier sim card which supports VVM in an unlocked Windows 10 Mobile device and it should work.

Yes, the 950/XL are both single sim variants in the UK i have not seen a Dual-Sim one for sale. We do not get many dual sim variants over here at all.

Only if it is single SIM

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Speculation:
1. Carriers only allow access to the server-side of VVM from their own networks.
2. In dual-SIM Windows devices, only one SIM has cellular data; the other does not.
3. Because the non-data SIM could be on a different carrier than the data-enabled one, VVM wouldn't work on it.
4. Microsoft disabled VVM in dual-SIM phones because they would not be able to provide the same features on both SIMs.

#1 seems fairly plausible and #2 is fact. If #1 and #2 are both correct, #3 becomes correct. #4 is then a Microsoft decision.

If that is the cause of the missing VVM functionality, one possibly straightforward thing that MS could do is enable VVM if both SIMs are connecting to the same carrier since #1 would not be an impediment to communicating with the VVM server since it and both SIMs would be on the same network (where "network" means carrier and not subnet).

Additionally, in cases where the SIMs are connecting to different carriers--and only if the above speculation is true--MS could add a note right under the "which SIM provides cellular data" that says "Visual voice mail is only available on the SIM with data access."

These ideas completely solve the issue for folks who want two numbers (say, personal and work) on a single carrier and half solves it for folks using two carriers. The question is, is "half solving" it an OK thing? (The only people who should be allowed to answer that are the dual-SIM/dual-carriers users.)

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Speculation:
1. Carriers only allow access to the server-side of VVM from their own networks.
2. In dual-SIM Windows devices, only one SIM has cellular data; the other does not.
3. Because the non-data SIM could be on a different carrier than the data-enabled one, VVM wouldn't work on it.
4. Microsoft disabled VVM in dual-SIM phones because they would not be able to provide the same features on both SIMs.

#1 seems fairly plausible and #2 is fact. If #1 and #2 are both correct, #3 becomes correct. #4 is then a Microsoft decision.

If that is the cause of the missing VVM functionality, one possibly straightforward thing that MS could do is enable VVM if both SIMs are connecting to the same carrier since #1 would not be an impediment to communicating with the VVM server since it and both SIMs would be on the same network (where "network" means carrier and not subnet).

Additionally, in cases where the SIMs are connecting to different carriers--and only if the above speculation is true--MS could add a note right under the "which SIM provides cellular data" that says "Visual voice mail is only available on the SIM with data access."

These ideas completely solve the issue for folks who want two numbers (say, personal and work) on a single carrier and half solves it for folks using two carriers. The question is, is "half solving" it an OK thing? (The only people who should be allowed to answer that are the dual-SIM/dual-carriers users.)

I understand a lot of people want the dual SIM. For me it is just paying for something I will never use, unfortunately.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand how Microsoft figures this is acceptable. Imagine if you had a car where the turn signals only worked when you were driving alone. Once a passenger gets in they no longer function and you have to manually signal with your hand out the window... then the auto manufacturer refuses to post anywhere officially as to the reason.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand how Microsoft figures this is acceptable. Imagine if you had a car where the turn signals only worked when you were driving alone. Once a passenger gets in they no longer function and you have to manually signal with your hand out the window... then the auto manufacturer refuses to post anywhere officially as to the reason.
That's not the best analogy. Dual-SIM is more like a car with two steering wheels. The turn signals would work because there's no way to know which steering wheel they should apply to. ;)

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sure, except if the car that had a setting: "Apply to steering wheel 1 or 2".

This seems dead simple. Even simpler? You know you are selling a dual-sim phone in the US where no one will use the second sim...

Settings | Phone | ☑ Disable SIM 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss