Lumia 950XL - Visual Voicemail?

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am fairly certain the problem with VVM is the handset, not the carrier. Even carriers that turn on VVM for every phone and every phone is unlocked don't work with this one...meaning Cricket wireless.

It's worse than all this, mine will tell me how many VM messages there are even if it was powered off or flight mode during the messages, so it has that part of the Visual Voicemail stack running with att as the main sim and slot two empty. When VVM is disabled for various reasons on my 950 and 1520s it just says VM, when its working or starting to work I'll get toast messages saying how many messages. When I click on the toast on the XL it dismisses the notification, on the 950 & 1520 it takes me to the VVM tab in the phone app.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Has nothing to do with dual sim.

If you did not purchase the phone directly from your carrier, it will most likely not work.

It's interesting that Blackberry created the Priv and sells it completely outside the carriers, unlocked from the Blackberry store--yet when you plug in a T-Mobile sim you get not only visual voicemail but you ALSO get T-Mobile's wifi calling.

And somehow, MS managed NOT to do those things.

950 family is worse than Blackberry? Yes. Now you know.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950xl Dual Sim Unlocked purchased directly from Microsoft's Site. At first I love the phone, spent days setting it up and exploring all it can do. So then it's time to call someone and set up my voicemail; I'm using Ting as a carrier; I believe they're using Sprints network. Upfront, I do not know much about phones, but I first have to record my name and greeting, the sound quality of my recorded voice is just TERRIBLE! Is this a software or a hardware issue? I've tried everything and it sounds like mud, distant, muffled... on a $700 phone? Then I try the Youmail App, I can't get it working, it won't pick up calls, it fails all their call testing and it doesn't even play the greeting? So I put Youmail aside and on to VV, same problems? What good it a phone that gives you everything else but can't complete a call, record or play a message, etc. I can't figure out where this is all coming from, I don't know enough about the phone or phones in general. But then is this a Windows 10 Mobile issue? Hardware? Software? I don't know what to do next, terribly frustrated! :angry:

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tested a Single SIM Lumia 950 XL with AT&T yet, to see if VVM works? What is cost of an imported (to USA) Single SIM 950 XL?
I bought my 950XL single SIM on eBay for $540 delivered. I put in my AT&T nanoSIM I was using in my 920 in and within a minute or so VVM worked after entering my pin.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
They could just tell us that VVM isn't supported on dual SIM devices because "we don't want to bother with figuring out how to make it work" - this phrase also applies to many other issues but nobody at Microsoft will ever admit that.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
They could just tell us that VVM isn't supported on dual SIM devices because "we don't want to bother with figuring out how to make it work" - this phrase also applies to many other issues but nobody at Microsoft will ever admit that.

Heck they only admit it in one spot on their entire website. That could have been added on by some low level web developer. I'm skeptical the phone team is even aware it's an issue.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
With the new Redstone load, it is stated the VVM is broken, but for the first time since I purchased my 950XL, VVM actually shows up in my phone app, and it asked for my VM password. It does not get notifications, as they say it will not in the feature/bug list, but at least it shows up, which tells me that they are trying to fix it. Hopefully with the next insider build they will get it working. To me it is a hopeful sign.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Confirmed in France too: dual sim devices (950 and 950 XL) now have the VVM option in settings even if, as expected and stated by Microsoft,it doesn't work yet.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
With the new Redstone load, it is stated the VVM is broken, but for the first time since I purchased my 950XL, VVM actually shows up in my phone app, and it asked for my VM password. It does not get notifications, as they say it will not in the feature/bug list, but at least it shows up, which tells me that they are trying to fix it. Hopefully with the next insider build they will get it working. To me it is a hopeful sign.

Confirmed in France too: dual sim devices (950 and 950 XL) now have the VVM option in settings even if, as expected and stated by Microsoft,it doesn't work yet.

I can confirm the same here. 950 XL US Dual SIM. It asked for my voicemail password and now shows up in the phone app. While there is zero confirmation, this would lend some support to the case that this should be working very soon for Dual SIM phones running VVM. The only real question remains to be whether or not this will be available in the near future to those not running the Insider Program on their W10M devices or will they have to wait until Redstone is released?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Probably the latter, rs1 required. VVM has NEVER been supported on dual sim since wp8.1, I guess because of the OS.

Anyway, it sounds good. As for PC, I consider the second iteration as the first stable one. For instance : I haven't upgraded the PC before having seen TH2. For Mobile, TH2 is the first release, so we'll probably start to enjoy fully windows 10 mobile starting with RS1.

I expect VVM, vibrate when call is connected etc to come to dual sim devices with RS1.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This sounds encouraging. I've been holding off waiting for VVM to work. When I read the release notes about VVM being broken I hoped it was because they were reengineering it to finally work on dual SIM phones and it sounds like they are. That and the bug fix of camera frames no longer dropping are starting to bring some real fixes... my concern is that RS is not due for many months and I'm not sure I want to be stuck on insider builds which historically have shown some instability just to get VVM. Would be good if they can roll these fixes into a mainstream branch as users do expect this kind of stuff to just work.

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed. Lumia 950xl dual sim on tmobile is showing visual voicemail. Go to phone app, click the voicemail button on the bottom, and it'll ask you to set up voicemail!!

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Confirming that VVM is working for me on my Lumia 950XL on AT&T, with the new build released today (14267.1004). My earlier VMs are now showing up in the list. Thanks MS!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb