09-10-2017 01:31 PM
165 1234 ...
tools
    700$ for a phone that cannot handle phone calls because it reboots, cannot handle SDcards because it reboots, crashes on BT pairing, overheats and despite it's huge battery, it does not last not even as long as the 1520 had. Good job MS on another ship wreck! For those who were lucky enough to have a 950 or a 950XL without any reboots or crashes, congrats, and enjoy it, because it seems most of what I've read here are having serious trouble with theirs.
    12-11-2015 03:46 AM
    I think most of the reboots root in the bluetooth issue.

At least for me. When i first activated BT on monday, it rebooted on every phone call via BT, but even when BT was not connected to anything just turned on. During fotos, during calls, during anything. Had 10 crashes in a day. Then i disabled BT again on tuesday, and didnt have a single crash/reboot since then.
    12-11-2015 04:12 AM
    I think most of the reboots root in the bluetooth issue.

At least for me. When i first activated BT on monday, it rebooted on every phone call via BT, but even when BT was not connected to anything just turned on. During fotos, during calls, during anything. Had 10 crashes in a day. Then i disabled BT again on tuesday, and didnt have a single crash/reboot since then.
    This is what happens when MS is rushing things up. Was that so hard to actually CHECK the drivers of the hw components before releasing these phones??...ohh I have forgot that Satya went frenzy in laying off people...so thank him for the lack of good testing.
    12-11-2015 08:14 AM
    I do tons of BT calls every day with my Lumia 950 XL + multitasking at the same time and didn't have a single reboot due to that. On the other hand none of the many SD cards I tried work on my phone without randomly rebooting the phone when accessing them.
    12-14-2015 06:13 PM
    My Lumia 950 XL, has rebooted a few times, but only when it's been idle and in my pocket. I know it has because my SIM has a passcode and Windows Hello tells me my device restarted.
    12-15-2015 12:20 PM
    My Lumia 950 XL, has rebooted a few times, but only when it's been idle and in my pocket. I know it has because my SIM has a passcode and Windows Hello tells me my device restarted.
    Similar report here. I think 3, maybe 4 times since Thanksgiving day. So no real pain here. But I do know that I would be frustrated if I was getting some of the trouble others have reported.

I remember back when the 920 first arrived, I bought 3 or 4 of them for the family. One of them was a nightmare, but having several work so perfectly left a completely different impression than I imagine it would have been if I only bought 1 and it was THAT one. So I completely understand how some folks feel here. But because of that 920 experience, I now know that for some reason you just have to swap em until you get a good one. Inconvenient, I admit. But with this awesome device, like the 920 of its time, well worth it.
    Unauthorized likes this.
    12-15-2015 12:26 PM
    Same here, hope they clear this up soon.
    12-15-2015 04:02 PM
    Same here, hope they clear this up soon.
    Hopefully. It sounds like the reboot issues are affecting other units, but I certainly wouldn't class it as a major issue for me. Nothing I do on my unit causes the phone itself to reboot, so it sounds different to other reports.

Heck, even with my Lumia 925 rebooted randomly a couple of times.
    12-15-2015 04:08 PM
    Have had the 950 XL for about 5 days now, and only had one reboot, and one time where the phone was getting hot in my pocket for no reason, so pretty stable overall.

Today though I got a SD card, a Kingston SDCA3/64GB U3 card, and reboots just every time i write/read to/from the card, have set everything except the apps to use the SD card, if i take pictures and safe to sd card sometimes it reboots, but it happens every time i try to take a movie, and if i play/delete that movie, reboot, transfer files to SD robot. Just in the past hour about 20-30 reboots.

This is a joke, in 2015 this is an issue, can remember back in the days when Nokia 920 came out, it just rebooted all over the place, and still now years later reboot is still a major issue on Windows Phones. Would much more like if they did not support SD card, and maybe sell with more in built storage, if the phone just reboot overtime the SD card is in use.
    Have read that some who put in a slower/older card to the phone, have resolved the re-booting issue, tried some 16GB ultra card from Sandisk, but the phone would not even see the card.

Anyway have been on AC wifi all the time I have had the phone, so this have not been an issue here, the SD card read/write is a BIG issue though, I hope Microsoft will address this ASAP.

Really love windows phone, but needs to work on stability.
    12-16-2015 07:53 AM
    I snag this baby Samsung EVO+ 128GB 80MB/s microSDXC Memory Card : microSD, microSDHC & microSDXC Memory - Best Buy Canada at 60$....
    it works well, recorded 4k videos with it, stored music, never had a reboot when accessing it. However I was never fond of installing app to the SD card. But all the other things I've tried with it, even browsing it using file explorer, works fine without any problem. Can anyone confirm the same with that card? :)
    12-16-2015 11:18 AM
    Hi all,

My sympathy to you all. This sd related rebooting of my 950xl has been driving me mad for the past week since I've had the device. (well that and my tempered glass screen protector messing with the proximity sensor!)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've fixed it or not but I've had 2 days with no reboots. Removing the sd card isn't really an option for me as I sometimes tethered shoot from my dslr and soon blast through the remaining 20 odd Gb on the phone.

I've tried a hard reset and that seemed to fix it for about 8 hours, then the reboots started again when I took a picture and had it save to the sd card.

As suggested either here or on another thread, I've tried a few different formats to the card. NTFS was bad with all allocation unit sizes. The phone would reboot at every picture take.

The exfat file system that the card came with (a pny UHS1 U3 card) still caused reboots but about every 10 pictures.

My current format was exfat with a 4096byte allocation unit size (smallest available). I've had this running for 2 days, about 100 images and I'm still going - no reboots.

It's worth trying it. Let me know how you get on. I'll update if anything changes!

Good luck.

AndyP

----------------------
    Update: although I could take as many pictures as I wanted, as soon as I edited a slow mo video the SD card crashed. So no look there. I'm currently running a freebee 2Gb unbranded card which isn't that fast and it seems to be running perfectly. I can take 4k videos, edit slow mo ones and take lots of pictures. Maybe it's related to the cards speed and it doesn't like fast ones!

Gutted: AndyP
    Last edited by drandyperry; 12-16-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: update
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-16-2015 01:16 PM
    Hi all,
    My current format was exfat with a 4096byte allocation unit size (smallest available). I've had this running for 2 days, about 100 images and I'm still going - no reboots.
    Hi Andy,

thanks so much for your super interesting post! I tried a lot but didnt think of unit size tests.

Removed SD card, formatted via PC, benchmarked and inserted into the phone again. Now downloading Germany map on the SD card and it's looking good! Still running without reboot.

If that is the solution then I dont understand what the root cause could be. I also had tried formatting the card via W10M and the OS should pick the correct unit size I thought.

Tmr I will get my replacement unit and do further tests.

Excited!!
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-16-2015 02:58 PM
    Update: Looked really promising when downloading offline maps to the phone. Didn't reboot!

But then connected the phone to my PC again via USB-C and guess what => instant reboot when accessing the SD card. Didn't even start copying. Afterwards tried the music copy again. After about 20s the phone rebooted.
    Last edited by wpctrlfan; 12-16-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    12-16-2015 03:19 PM
    yeah I tried NTFS formatting as well and doing an exfat with the default allocation format from the PC (128k I think? hugely wasteful but figured if that was the default I'd let it do its thing). I'll try exfat with 4k tonight and see if it behaves any better. I've got 2 cards (different brands) so I might try the other with fat32 and see what happens as well.
    12-16-2015 04:20 PM
    Pls also try to write a couple folders of music via PC to your phones SD card. This instantly crashes my whole Phone.
    12-16-2015 04:40 PM
    Pls also try to write a couple folders of music via PC to your phones SD card. This instantly crashes my whole Phone.
    I'm seeing pretty much the exact same as you. With the 4k allocation, it seems a little better but I was still able to make it reboot after a couple of repeated tests of downloading from onedrive to the card. Trying to copy directly from PC to phone via usb results in insta-reboot.

I even tried doing a re-flash via the windows device recovery tool on the theory that maybe there was something corrupted in the factory flashed firmware (separate from the OS). Same behavior. Going to exchange this thing as soon as the local store gets them in stock.
    Last edited by TexasLabRat; 12-16-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    12-16-2015 09:17 PM
    Thanks for your feedback!

I now have a new Lumia 950 XL in front of me and started my testrounds with the same cards which constantly kill my first phone.

First test round on 10586.00 and a fresh phone (without backup) was successful. Nothing crashes at all.
    Will now test 10585.29 with fresh phone (without backup)
    Last test will be 10585.29 with backup from the first Lumia 950 XL.

Right now it seems to be difficult to get 10585.29 even tough MS announced it is available again. Cannot find it via update and even via insider fast ring.
    12-17-2015 07:47 AM
    There is definitely issues with compatible sd cards. Came very close to sending my 950xl back for a refund as my handset kept restarting randomly after a few days. Swapped over my new SanDisk 128gb card to a Samsung evo + 128gb card and now handset is so reliable it's unbelievable. Just hope now that it doesn't restart anymore as at it's worse the handset must of restarted up to 6 to 7 times daily.
    Calydus likes this.
    12-17-2015 08:51 AM
    Maybe thats the case but what if my new 950 XL doesnt reboot with the same cards with reboots my old 950 XL ? Lets see :)

Right now I cannot upgrade to 10585.29 as MS still didnt make it fully available. I have a strong feeling that my SD card reboot problem is OS related. Testing a fresh 10585.00 against a fresh 10585.29 with the same card should bring proof. Working on it.

The Evo+ card is U1 write speed which might explain why it works. I havent read about users with U1 cards facing reboot problems. But users facing reboots with U3 cards.
    12-17-2015 08:55 AM
    Adding to this thread to note that I too have experienced numerous reboots since purchasing the 950 XL a few weeks ago. I see numerous reports attributing the reboots to issues with apps being installed on the Micro SD card, but I don't believe that's the case universally. While I do have a Micro SD card in the phone, I have no apps on it (nor have I ever had any apps on it). I use it strictly for music storage.

Regardless, my phone reboots randomly every few days. Sometimes while I'm doing things, other times while it's just sitting there idle. It's possible there are multiple issues that are causing the reboots, and storing apps on expandable memory may be one such cause, but I don't believe it's the only factor.
    12-17-2015 10:20 AM
    Lol since like 3 days or so my phone started to reboot every hour. It happens also when it's on idle. Windows 10 Mobile is beta or even alpha for sure.

Lumia 950 XL Single SIM.
    64 GB SD Card installed, no apps on it. Just Music.
    Did a hard reset to get update 10586.29 and did nothing else than just installing my apps again. WTF???
    12-17-2015 10:25 AM
    Adding to this thread to note that I too have experienced numerous reboots since purchasing the 950 XL a few weeks ago. I see numerous reports attributing the reboots to issues with apps being installed on the Micro SD card, but I don't believe that's the case universally. While I do have a Micro SD card in the phone, I have no apps on it (nor have I ever had any apps on it). I use it strictly for music storage.

Regardless, my phone reboots randomly every few days. Sometimes while I'm doing things, other times while it's just sitting there idle. It's possible there are multiple issues that are causing the reboots, and storing apps on expandable memory may be one such cause, but I don't believe it's the only factor.
    Try removing your SD card and see if your phone still randomly reboots.
    12-17-2015 01:12 PM
    Maybe thats the case but what if my new 950 XL doesnt reboot with the same cards with reboots my old 950 XL ? Lets see :)

Right now I cannot upgrade to 10585.29 as MS still didnt make it fully available. I have a strong feeling that my SD card reboot problem is OS related. Testing a fresh 10585.00 against a fresh 10585.29 with the same card should bring proof. Working on it.

The Evo+ card is U1 write speed which might explain why it works. I havent read about users with U1 cards facing reboot problems. But users facing reboots with U3 cards.

The 2 cards I've tested are a U3 card and a "plain" Class-10 card (no "UHS" classification) so I've bracketed either side of the U1 speed rating and both cards exhibit the reboot issue. Maybe there's something magical about U1 speed in how it interacts with the phone...I'm ordering a samsung evo+ U1 card for giggles and grins while I wait for restock of black 950XL's at the local MS store.
    12-17-2015 01:33 PM
    Strange, but today I decided to do a hard reset, delete all and format sd card, and not install backup. So far it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

No reboot since hard reset, before when filming 4K I could not even record 15 seconds before the phone rebooted, and only after few images the phone would two reboot. Have just filmes 1 minut 4k and taken 10 images rapid after each other, no reboot. So far so good time will tell if this solves the issue, if so it sure is software related.
    12-17-2015 02:49 PM
    Strange, but today I decided to do a hard reset, delete all and format sd card, and not install backup. So far it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

No reboot since hard reset, before when filming 4K I could not even record 15 seconds before the phone rebooted, and only after few images the phone would two reboot. Have just filmes 1 minut 4k and taken 10 images rapid after each other, no reboot. So far so good time will tell if this solves the issue, if so it sure is software related.

Glad it worked for you, but I've done hard reset/no restore (even re-flash via the windows app) and I still have issues. It never rebooted for me when I was taking pictures or video, though. Only when I download external information onto the card (via OneDrive or USB cable) does it flake out so perhaps there are multiple issues affecting SD card related stability.
    12-17-2015 02:54 PM
165 1234 ...