09-10-2017 01:31 PM
165 12345 ...
tools
    Another 24 hours an no reboots with my no-brand super slow sd card. It seems fast enough to write 4k video to so I presume it must be class 10 at least.
    I've taken slow mo videos and edited them ( a sure fire way to crash my u3 pny card), saved pod casts, played pod casts and taken loads of images. Still is stable.
    I'm running build 10586.29.

Has any one got a sure fire way to crash their phone? I'll try to copy files from PC to phone and see if that works OK, at the moment my only USB C cable is in the car and I can't be bothered to get it tonight!

AndyP
    12-17-2015 03:34 PM
    Update from my case: New phone but same Sandisk U3 speed card, build 10586.00, backup from old Lumia 950 XL imported, 40gb copied to SD via USB from PC, offline maps downloaded to SD. NO reboots at all.

As I cannot download the .29 build yet I still dont have proof if that problem is hardware or software related. It's for sure not the U3 speed SD card itself.

I could always crash my phone except USB transfer by downloading bought movies to my SD card. Alternatively offline maps.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-17-2015 03:44 PM
    Seems the reboot issue have not gone completely, after the hard reset, it just got better. Can force reboot when recording 4K.

Now this is a brand new Kingston 64GB U3 card, today I decided to order the same size Sandisk Extreme Pro, that was the card I originally wanted, but decided to try the Kingston since it got almost same speed, but allot cheaper.

Always have had Sandisk cards, never gad any issues with them, but other brands year's ago I had allot of issues with, back when mmc cards was a big thing, so from there on forward only got the Sandisk branded cards.

Well other have same issue with SanDisk, but it is worth the try. If that does not work I am really thinking about getting a new phone.
    12-17-2015 04:32 PM
    Update after a day of testing:

• Received replacement device from amazon.de (thank you!)
    • Device was shipped with OS 10586.00
    • Tested all my troublemaker SD cards by copying 40gb of data via USB / Phone to the SD card, downloaded offline maps to SD, downloaded purchased xbox movies to SD card=> Not a single reboot!
    • Then I reset again and selected my backup from the first Lumia 950 XL (running 10586.00)
    • Did the same test as above => Not a single reboot!
    • Now I wanted to install OS 10586.29 but it wasn't available via Insider or normal update
    • So I reset my first Lumia 950 XL running OS 10586.29 and inserted the Samsung U3 64gb SD card
    • I tried to copy content via USB / Phone to the SD card and it instantly rebooted
    • Now I tested my old slow SD cards and the same thing happened

As I did not install the .29 update yet on the new device I still cannot draw any final conclusions. Maybe it's hardware, maybe it's software. But it's clear that it is not the SD cards nor the apps I have installed.

I tested the following cards and all failed on the first phone but work fine on the replacement phone:
    • SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
    • Samsung PRO+ microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
    • SanDisk Extreme microSDHC 64GB UHS-I Class 10
    • Older Samsung 64GB Micro-SDHC Pro Class10
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-17-2015 07:15 PM
    A good way to test if you have the reboot fault there is an app called SD Card R/W Test where you can test write/read of your sd card, try go to settings and set the File Size to something more than 1mb if your phone does not reboot.

This is a sure reboot for me, does not even take long.
    12-17-2015 08:13 PM
    As I said, this Samsung EVO+ 128GB 80MB/s microSDXC Memory Card : microSD, microSDHC & microSDXC Memory - Best Buy Canada works well, not reboot nothing, even with the LATEST build that just got out today, ran sd card test and worked great.
    12-17-2015 08:20 PM
    Update after a day of testing:

• Received replacement device from amazon.de (thank you!)
    • Device was shipped with OS 10586.00
    • Tested all my troublemaker SD cards by copying 40gb of data via USB / Phone to the SD card, downloaded offline maps to SD, downloaded purchased xbox movies to SD card=> Not a single reboot!
    • Then I reset again and selected my backup from the first Lumia 950 XL (running 10586.00)
    • Did the same test as above => Not a single reboot!
    • Now I wanted to install OS 10586.29 but it wasn't available via Insider or normal update
    • So I reset my first Lumia 950 XL running OS 10586.29 and inserted the Samsung U3 64gb SD card
    • I tried to copy content via USB / Phone to the SD card and it instantly rebooted
    • Now I tested my old slow SD cards and the same thing happened

As I did not install the .29 update yet on the new device I still cannot draw any final conclusions. Maybe it's hardware, maybe it's software. But it's clear that it is not the SD cards nor the apps I have installed.

I tested the following cards and all failed on the first phone but work fine on the replacement phone:
    • SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
    • Samsung PRO+ microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
    • SanDisk Extreme microSDHC 64GB UHS-I Class 10
    • Older Samsung 64GB Micro-SDHC Pro Class10

I tested mine 10586.0 after I reflashed and it still rebooted with both cards, so I don't think it's a .0 vs .29 issue. I'm leaning more and more towards a hardware issue. I'm updating to .36 now as a hail-mary test but I don't have high hopes.

edit: still reboots with .36
    Last edited by TexasLabRat; 12-18-2015 at 02:54 AM.
    12-18-2015 02:42 AM
    I had 8 reboots last friday and then none until thursday when connected to the car with one roboot, in the evening I updated to .36 and today I have had 10 reboots for 8 hours. It reboots in my pocket or when I have it on the desk, not when Im talking or doing something on the phone.
    12-18-2015 10:35 AM
    Today after getting new SanDisk Extreme Pro card, which as soon as I recorded a 4k video rebooted the phone. I went to the store where I got the phone, and exchanged it for a new one, they tested the new one in the store, and so far no rebooting, recorded 8 minutes 4k footage now and counting, never got past the 3 minutes on the old phone.

This does indicate a hardware issue, maybe Microsoft users several suppliers for the card reader, could be software and hardware together. But so far happy champ, now instead of being annoyed by the phone, finally getting to enjoy it.

11 minutes now and counting :).
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-18-2015 12:32 PM
    I'm leaning more and more towards a hardware issue.
    Thanks for the update! You indeed might be right unfortunately! I still have problems understanding how the SD card reader could be defective technically but for a fact the new phone I received is rock solid. Once I would update to the final OS update and it still doesnt reboot I would have total confirmation. But thats only early next year as the OS dev team is on vacation now :)

I was lucky enough to get a replacement via amazon within one day but maybe you should consider replacement as well. My new one also has a lot less back cover creaking! Like super little only.
    12-18-2015 05:33 PM
    I went to the store where I got the phone, and exchanged it for a new one, they tested the new one in the store, and so far no rebooting.
    Perfect proof! Same for me: new phone, same tests, ZERO reboots, instant happiness.

This does indicate a hardware issue
    It would be so much easier if Microsoft would aknowledge the hardware issue. I spend hours and hours trying to fix it but if it's a hardware issue there is no chance.

finally getting to enjoy it.
    This is so true! Same here! No reboots, very little cover creaking, really ok 1 day battery life with moderate to heavy use, pretty snappy OS with version 10586.00.
    12-18-2015 05:37 PM
    T

I was lucky enough to get a replacement via amazon within one day but maybe you should consider replacement as well. My new one also has a lot less back cover creaking! Like super little only.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to get a replacement. There's a MS store about 5 minutes from the house...going to take a field trip tomorrow and see if they have some in stock for exchange.
    12-18-2015 06:57 PM
    Good luck :)

Update from my side: The phone decided by itself to download update 10586.29 (Insider not activated on this phone). Taking forever to install the update but I am already seeing the spinning gear wheels. I will then test again if the phone will reboot when writing on my SD card. If so then it clearly is a software issue. If not then it clearly is a hardware issue.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-18-2015 07:51 PM
    Lol since like 3 days or so my phone started to reboot every hour. It happens also when it's on idle. Windows 10 Mobile is beta or even alpha for sure.

Lumia 950 XL Single SIM.
    64 GB SD Card installed, no apps on it. Just Music.
    Did a hard reset to get update 10586.29 and did nothing else than just installing my apps again. WTF???
    Since the update 10586.36 the reboots are gone ☺ juhuiii
    12-18-2015 08:28 PM
    Congrats! Great to hear!! Enjoy your phone now :P

I also have an update: Just installed .29 and did the typical write / read test to see if the phone crashes due to SD card usage. And no it doesnt reboot. This again hints that the SD card write => reboot issue is a hardware problem!
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-18-2015 08:32 PM
    Nice to see you guys get the problem fixed. I may exchange for a replacement as well.
    12-18-2015 11:02 PM
    MS store swapped out my phone today. No more SD card reboots. /happydance
    12-19-2015 03:37 PM
    Interesting that it is starting to look like a hardware issue, I might pop into Carphone warehouse and see what they say.

I found another 64gb card (a class 10 one) so tried it out. All seemed ok until I was playing a pod cast in the car today and it rebooted itself. Not good timing as it was a kids show and my son went mental!

Back to my 2gb one for now.

I tried sd card test app but couldn't get either my old 64gb one or my even older 2gb one to fail. Even though my 64gb one suffered a reboot in use. I couldn't test my u3 64gb one as I took it back for a refund this morning.

So
    64gb u3 pny - loads reboots in hours
    64gb sd xc mystery brand 1 reboot in 24 hrs
    2 Gb not even labeled 4Mb/s card no reboots in 4 or5 days.

The plot thickens!

DrAndyPerry
    12-19-2015 03:38 PM
    Returned mine at my local MS Store and bought a new one. No reboot so far. Seems to be a hardware issue!
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    12-19-2015 08:04 PM
    Just got my Lumia 950 XL and it seems to be suffering from the same random reboot problem caused by SD card. I got SanDisk ULTRA SDXC 128 GB 80MB/s one. If I take it out, there are no reboots, except that File Explorer crashes as soon as I open it (Probably due to the pointless recent files feature, which sadly cannot be turned off, unlike on PC). Sigh... I'm going to try and see how it works with my older 48MB/s 128GB SD card once I back everything up...

I was really happy to finally get a premium lumia with an SD card slot, but It's been a huge disappointment so far... I hope they'll release some sort of software update soon.
    I bought the same SD card and I'm also having reboots. Just accessing the card makes the phone reboot. Transferred songs from PC and it kept rebooting. I tried putting the songs in the internal memory first, then used the file explorer app to move songs from phone to SD, still got reboots. Yesterday I bought a 16gb Samsung sd card 48mb/s. Transferred songs without a problem. Haven't had any reboots yet. Now I don't know if its the size of the card or the format. I don't want to buy a 128gb Samsung card just to have the same problems.
    12-19-2015 08:33 PM
    11 minutes now and counting :).
    It is a sad day when, in December of 2015, this is cause for rejoicing!
    12-19-2015 10:41 PM
    To be honest, in the technology world, especially the bleeding edge, it will be like this in December of 2025. :)
    tgp and jazzedmurf like this.
    12-19-2015 11:46 PM
    My bet is this is a hardware issue. I just got a 950xl and am suffering from this issue. The device is in limited supply and I bet this is why it is not fully available from the MS store.
    12-20-2015 12:26 AM
    I also had lots reboots, during the initial setup of my 950XL Dual Sim. Using a 64GB Sandik extreme card, formatted it in the phone.I think it is a software issue. I setup everything to be stored on the SD card, except for Apps. I had no reboots when downloading offline maps, or downloading 5GB of music in Groove music with my music pass. I also don't have problems when taking pictures that are stored on the SD card...

BUT as soon as I select the "share" option of a picture I took and select share photo --> reboot :(
    When I go to the appropriate message app first (Whatsapp) and select attach image + select the image, it works flawlessly...
    Have to test 4k recording...

Edit: 4k video recording tested, after 00:01 phone rebooted^^ maybe it depends on the amount of MB/s that are being transferred from/to the card?
    Edit2: I now for the first time also had a message pop up after reboot, that theres seems to be a problem with the SD card and if I want to scan & fix it... chose yes --> reboot^^
    Edit3: After the reboot from edit2, everything seems to work for now, recorded 1min of 4k video, shared pictures, all without reboots... I do some further tests --> after that I recorded 4k again, reboot after ~01:30.. after that I recorded again, stopped at 5min, no reboot, so seems totally random :(
    Last edited by Penecho; 12-20-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    12-20-2015 03:43 AM
    This issue has been making things very miserable for me.
    I bought my phone from B&H and had it shipped here to Australia.
    I'm using the 64GB Samsung Pro + and the phone has been a constant rebooting nightmare.

I do have the option to get it exchanged for a new one, but seeing that B&H is only getting their next batch on the 25th of January, it's going to be a big inconvenience.

I do want to know though...there is meant to be a firmware update rolling out slowly that apparently has made :"Improvements for SD memory card support". That doesn't promise a permanent fix...only "improvement".

So is there anyone that can report if this firmware update has fixed the annoying microSD reboot issue?

It's extremely disappointing that Microsoft has had ZERO communication with customers who have paid a lot of money for this phone. I have tried writing to Gabe Aul on twitter but I was obviously ignored.

I've been a Windows Phone fan since buying my first HTC 7 Trophy, (Then upgrading to a Lumia 925). If this 950XL didn't have the SD card problem, it would be PERFECT. If the problem persists till the end of January...goodbye Microsoft, I'm going to have to decide between Apple or Android. They've really tested my patience this time. They could have rolled out the firmware update as an immediate action to fix the SD card issue, but they're rolling it out at a snails pace allowing customers to get frustrated and return their units. Why are they being this stupid?
    12-24-2015 08:55 PM
165 12345 ...