Lumia 950 XL Random Reboots

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh dear,
I've been running my phone without a memory card for the past 48 hours, safe in the knowledge that I'd be free from reboots........ However, just watching a YouTube clip, nothing fancy, just standard definition, ..... And it rebooted.... With no card in.

Now I'm very annoyed, once car phone warehouse open, it's going back. Help me!

DrAP

Edit: noticed I'm still on 15452 firmware, if I get the update and it fixes everything before I can get into CW then it may save my Lumia and stop me going straight back to Android.

Last edited:

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Final edit:
Returned the 950xl to carphone warehouse today, since there are no more 950xls available until 21st Jan they gave me a full refund. So can't complain about the service.

Looks like I'm back on android now (maybe a Nexus 6P). See you all again when the surface phone comes out!

DrAP

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Got a 950 with 64Gb sd card. Also getting random reboots. Plus Wifi keeps dropping out.
Ahhhhh love the phone, camera better than 1020 but can't have it rebooting on me.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Be patient, since my firmware update no more restarts as of yet.
This looks like a good sign, which means the problem can be rectified on the software level. However, it's still weird when some phones are fine without any reboots, while others suffer, even though they are on the same firmware/software version.

ittojo

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
When I had the 5Ghz band activated on my router my 950 XL rebooted 10 to15 times every day, I also disabled the Bluetooth two days ago and no rebooting since. I think this is a problem with the network stack. Trying to enable Bluetooth tomorrow to see if it?s only wifi or if it is a combination.

kenneyy88

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Any progress on the sd card issue? I tried taking pictures with my sd card and it kept restarting everytime I opened the camera. And it didn't restart when I took the sd card out. I already got a replacement for my sd card, so thats not the issue. It also seems like it restarts less with a older slower sd card.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Any progress on the sd card issue? I tried taking pictures with my sd card and it kept restarting everytime I opened the camera. And it didn't restart when I took the sd card out. I already got a replacement for my sd card, so thats not the issue. It also seems like it restarts less with a older slower sd card.

I solved my SD card reboot issue by replacing the phone. Even if the firmware winds up "fixing" the issue...there is clearly a hardware issue as the root cause that the new firmware is likely just glossing over with looser tolerances and/or better fault handing (assuming that it indeed is addressing the issue). I'd recommend swapping for a different handset if you are experiencing this regardless of the availability of a firmware "fix". Just my 2cp

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I got the new firmware update and had my first reboot when I was actually using my 950 XL, mid way through writing a SMS. Upon reboot the SD card was corrupted and SD card apps were all "unavailable", a pop up did appear to say it was corrupt and attempt to fix it but it didn't do anything.

I then rebooted my device manually and now the SD Card is OK again.

It would seem its very much SD Card related, unless it was a freak accident that it got corrupted when it booted back up.

Last edited:

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I also am having more reboots now after the firmware update. Especially when trying to make phone calls. Happens 2 times yesterday.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I would say go get it replaced if you still can if you are still having a reboot issue. This to me still sounds like a hardware issue.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had mine since the day after Christmas and I haven't had a single reboot with only 1 freeze up. *knock on wood*

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I get many random reboots, i read above that another member was getting lots of reboots while their 5ghz band was enabled on the wifi, my phone seems to reboot lots when i'm at my computer with the router on the table, it is a tri-band router with 5ghz band also.

I am running the latest FW but i'm no longer in the insider program, i got sick of it. I want stable OS releases now, but that's not happening yet.

SEysten

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with random rebooting of the Lumia 950XL. First I moved all my apps from the SD card to the internal memory. This seemed to solve the problem for a while, but the rebooting came back. Then I noticed that it happened mostly at night. So, I thought it might have something to do with a program that runs while the phone is used less. But I couldn't find a real reason why this was happening.
Then I read somewhere that the access to a WifFi access point might have something to do with the problem. Normally, when I'm at home, my phone is on my desk about a meter and a half from the WiFi access point. So I moved the phone to the other side of my desk, about a meter further away from the access point. I haven't had a reboot for days now! So, this afternoon I tested by moving the phone back to the original place, so one meter closer to the access point. Within ten minutes my phone started to reboot. I moved it away, and no reboot since then.
So it looks that moving it away form the WiFi access point really helped, at least in my case. It seems a strange problem to me, but if it helps... So, I hope this helps other people as well.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents on random reboot on my 950 XL.
Had a couple of random reboot. I started the phone fresh - without migrating data from my L1520. Changed to a new microSD. Updated firmware and on insider .63 OS. With all these, I am still facing random reboot until I noticed a trend. My phone tends to reboot after driving. The phone is connected to my car audio via Bluetooth. So this led me to suspect that Bluetooth incompatibility could be causing the issue. I did face problem of Bluetooth disconnecting in the middle of a call when connected to my car audio via Bluetooth. When that happened, the Bluetooth on-off toggle on the phone is greyed out and cannot be activated. The phone got pretty hot. Nothing can be done except rebooting the phone. I also noticed that the phone get quite warm every time when connected to the Bluetooth. I guess, I will need to disable Bluetooth until MS comes up with an update. Hope this helps.

SEysten

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with bluetooth on the first day. Fully charged the battery, connected it to my car and within two hours the battery was empty. My phone became quite warm. I did a factory restore and that solved that problem. Haven't had this problem ever since, now three weeks. And battery life is also back to normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99