Lumia 950 XL Random Reboots

efrem27

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My reboots happens in these two scenarios.
1) When it is plugged in charging.
2) When I am watching a Youtube video on the Edge browser.

I am on .29 build and wondering if anyone else have these issues. Can't wait and hope the .36 can resolve these two issues.

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing random freeze, where I would come back to my phone heating up and the screen remains dark.
Also the sound for lock and unlocking of my phone seems to have stopped playing.

Any thoughts?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
random freeze / reboot often occur when:

1, the phone is in continuum mode and i opened al lot of apps or a lot of webpage tabs in edge
2, i disconnect the phone from the dock

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I know what is causing this issue, at least for me. When I have my phone upstairs, no reboot. When my phone is outside of my house, no reboot. But when I have my phone on my desk, within 2 feet of my Nighthawk router, I get constant reboots. It doesn't matter if I have aps installed on SD this only happens when I'm at my desk with the router very close. My phone is connected to the 5G band. I'm going to change it to the 2.5g and see if there is any change. I'll report back in a day or so with my results.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
In my one month using the phone, I think I had 5 very random reboots. Sometimes from watching videos, from viewing photos, browsing the web... But those were before I updated to the newest firmware and .63.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Only occasional reboot when using Edge now, very occasional, once every few weeks now since the last update. Before this it was every day or so.

efrem27

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Only occasional reboot when using Edge now, very occasional, once every few weeks now since the last update. Before this it was every day or so.

Hey guys, I just hard reset mine. Did a firmware update to .63 and installed all my missing apps from Store. It has been 4 days and no random reboot under any circumstances. I did a back up of my phone with this 'state'. Of course, I moved all my essential photos and files to sd card and removed it when I performed the hard reset. Hope this helps.

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I've still been getting reboots, I had two within 5 minutes sitting idle yesterday so I'm sending mine in this morning. Hope the techs can find an answer.

GrizzlyStrong

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was having this issue with ATT Lumia 950, I reformatted my SD Card, ran the recovery tool about 50 times, I did a hard reset, nothing was working.

Then looking through some of the forums in the Microsoft website, i saw a user mentioned that he changed his network settings from 2.4ghz to 5ghz and his device seem to stop the reboots,

AND THIS WORKED FOR ME ALSO. After weeks of struggle this finally worked for me. 2 days in and no reboots. :winktongue::winktongue:

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I've still been getting reboots, I had two within 5 minutes sitting idle yesterday so I'm sending mine in this morning. Hope the techs can find an answer.

I'm finally getting my phone back tonight after sending it to the repair center. They said they've fixed the problem and I guess I'll find out if the problem was actually fixed once I start using it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing random freeze, where I would come back to my phone heating up and the screen remains dark.
Also the sound for lock and unlocking of my phone seems to have stopped playing.

Any thoughts?

Same happens for me. Single SIM 950XL, Thailand. Latest OS version on fast build. After the freeze I just wait a few minutes and it restarts.

I'm getting used to it.

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I think I know what is causing this issue, at least for me. When I have my phone upstairs, no reboot. When my phone is outside of my house, no reboot. But when I have my phone on my desk, within 2 feet of my Nighthawk router, I get constant reboots. It doesn't matter if I have aps installed on SD this only happens when I'm at my desk with the router very close. My phone is connected to the 5G band. I'm going to change it to the 2.5g and see if there is any change. I'll report back in a day or so with my results.

This sounds like exactly like the issue I have. I thought it was coincidence at first but my phone literally reboots at least 4 or 5 times when its sits on my desk at home in the evenings. Just randomly reboots without warning. Sometimes after rebooting a "Network settings update" prompt appears asking me to restart the phone, even when it just reboot itself!

I've got a ASUS RT-N66U router which is running DD-WRT firmware. The router is literally less than 2 feet away from my handset. My Lumia 950 XL is connected to the 5 GHz band. I never experience any issues like this on my Lumia 925.

Based on advice, I'm going to test having WiFi completely off while at home for the next few days and see if that yields any results. I have a big enough data contract to cover the bandwidth. If that doesn't work I'll remove the MicroSD card in the phone and see if that makes a difference. Failing that, I'll go down the warranty/replacement route, seems this has been happening for well over a month now!

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm finally getting my phone back tonight after sending it to the repair center. They said they've fixed the problem and I guess I'll find out if the problem was actually fixed once I start using it.

So it's been over a week now since I got my phone back and haven't had a single reboot, the only time it's been rebooted was during the latest firmware install last week. If you can, I highly recommend sending your phone in for repair to see if the repair center can fix it.

Shelcom3

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
What did they do at the repair center to fix your problem? Just curious. I have a couple of friends who own the 950 and both have this problem with the rebooting and some freezing.

I have two 950 XL's and neither of them have ANY of the problems that others have had. I had them approximately two months with no real issues. I have only had an issue with the sensitivity of the touch screen which appears to be due to the thickness of the glass screen protector I'm using. Apparently, there are different thicknesses depending on the brand. Other than that I have pretty much ZERO problems with the phone and it is working pretty much FLAWLESSLY.

But again, I'm using an XL that I purchased from a physical Microsoft Store and NOT from AT&T. I'm running the latest version of firmware/software .39005/10586.107 I'm also using a SanDisk Ultra 128gb card with EVERYTHING including apps being saved to the card.

Yes, I am a very happy 950 XL owner and daily driver user. I have also owned Lumia 830, 930, 1520, Samsung Ativ S Neo, and an HTC that had major issues. Every Lumia and even the Samsung Windows Phones have all been and continues to be AWESOME!!!! Apps are a minor issue for me. Since Chase dropped Windows Phone, I dropped Chase and went to Wells Fargo instead. So, now all is great! :love::cool:

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
They don't go into much detail, but this is what they sent me in the email.

"Here’s what you told us was wrong :

My lumia 950xl has been restarting by itself. It restarts in my pocket some times, but before I
contacted support chat it was just sitting on my desk at work idle and restarted.

Here’s what we did to fix it :

Passed Software Update

Passed Complete Functional test

Passed Complete RF Test

Passed Quality Inspection"

Gary Colclough

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

My device also reboots constantly when placed next to my nighthawk router! Anywhere else and I don't have an issue.

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
So after having my phone back for ~2 months, it looks like I've been hit with reboots again. I've had 2 in the last 24hrs, I'll be keeping an eye on it now. I'll be contacting support again if it becomes a lasting occurrence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire