Lumia 950 XL Random Reboots

Robert Hastings

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I traded my Lumia 920 for the 950XL. I have not installed a SD card yet and I get reboots all the time. Sometimes it just locks up. I have reset it once already and no changes. I will be calling the Microsoft store I bought it from and seeing if I can replace it. I will continue to replace it until it works. I hope they release patches regularly to address these bugs. I am very disappointed in this phone.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So I have this very strange issue with my L950XL. I think it started two insider fast builds ago. I noticed something was awry when checking for OS updates (in an attempt to update to the latest Fast build, 14361) and opening the Store, both of which kept failing. After restarting the phone, it started randomly rebooting itself almost always exactly 1 minute after starting up. Even hard resetting and using the Windows Device Recovery Tool hasn't permanently helped. The same behaviour still takes place.

I am now on 10586.318, so not enrolled in Insider. The phone works well, until after first restart after hard reset (when settings changes require this*), upon which the phone starts loop-rebooting again, requiring a hard reset. I have also managed to reproduce the problem if I do nothing else other than installing the Insider App after hard reset. It somehow feels like when I change something in the system, things mess up. Another strangeness I have noticed is that the MEID (under About) turns into some weird characters instead of the number sequence that was there before restart.

Anybody have the slightest clue about what's happening?
Note: I am not on 5GHz, neither am I near an AP. Both SD card and SIM card have been removed, and this is not a loose-battery issue.
*Even during OOBE, if I change language and do the mandatory restart, the auto rebooting problem starts happening again, so it has nothing to do with any apps.

Last edited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Something got corrupted when you did the latest update that not even the WDRT can fix. If you can bring it to a Microsoft store and get them to replace it, that's probably your best bet, sadly.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it seems like some deeper issue. And sadly, yes, somehow swapping it feels like the only option. Only problem is, there are no Microsoft Stores in this country where I live, and the phone was bought in another country.

Lumia666

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My phone has recently started rebooting itself. I may have a solution for the problem. I think it's the battery that's the problem. As soon as I get under 50%, the random reboots starts.

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been having rebooting issues since the last update that I received. So, not sure if it's update related or not. Last night, my phone was sitting next to me while I was in bed and I heard it vibrate as it was rebooting. Immediately, I thought, "Maybe, it's one or more of the background apps I've allowed to run in the background!" As a result, I've turned all my background apps to the "No" status as of last night. So far, I have had no reboots today. I plan on changing the "No" status to the "Yes" status in the background apps sections one app and one day at a time to see if I can find the culprit, assuming it's an app issue. I tend to save apps to my phone, not an SD card. Keeping my fingers crossed.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My last saturday was especially bad for random reboots, sunday seemed pretty stable for some reason. Must be something related to a server we are connected to or something!

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, it doesn't appear that my random reboots were related to any apps or apps allowed to run in the background. Aside from that issue, I was also having the issue of my phone not following through during what I can transitions or screen changes. For example, if I was on the main start screen and I wanted to go into Facebook, I would tap the Facebook tile, the screen would go black quickly, and then Facebook would open. This is what the phone normally does when I wanted to navigate somewhere. However, instead of the screen quickly going black and the destination opening, my phone would often go black and stay black. The app or tile I tapped on would not open. I would just have a black screen. If I let my phone set long enough, it would reboot, but I would just hold the power button down and reboot it myself, because I did not want to wait for it to do it on its own.

The fix came when my dad suggested that I remove my battery and then put it back. I had done this already with no positive results. However, when I did it, I just removed the battery and quickly put it back in the phone. After my dad brought it up to me, I decided to remove the battery, again, but wait a minute or so before I put it back. Once I did that, my phone has not been rebooting like it was doing daily. I hope this helps some of you.

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I keep posting the same thing since last July.....but anyways...your battery is shot (check my post history). The only way to "fix" this is you get a brand new battery (your phone is fine don't worry).

scotsguy42

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, it doesn't appear that my random reboots were related to any apps or apps allowed to run in the background. Aside from that issue, I was also having the issue of my phone not following through during what I can transitions or screen changes. For example, if I was on the main start screen and I wanted to go into Facebook, I would tap the Facebook tile, the screen would go black quickly, and then Facebook would open. This is what the phone normally does when I wanted to navigate somewhere. However, instead of the screen quickly going black and the destination opening, my se phone would often go black and stay black. The app or tile I tapped on would not open. I would just have a black screen. If I let my phone set long enough, it would reboot, but I would just hold the power button down and reboot it myself, because I did not want to wait for it to do it on its own.

The fix came when my dad suggested that I remove my battery and then put it back. I had done this already with no positive results. However, when I did it, I just removed the battery and quickly put it back in the phone. After my dad brought it up to me, I decided to remove the battery, again, but wait a minute or so before I put it back. Once I did that, my phone has not been rebooting like it was doing daily. I hope this helps some of you.

I had same problem found out my battery was faulty since replacing it my phone hasn't rebooted once not even randomly like it used to that I have noticed anyway I have a standard 128gbcard in slot it hasn't even rebooted when I open certain apps either unless this has been patched the new battery solved my issues

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem found out my battery was faulty since replacing it my phone hasn't rebooted once not even randomly like it used to that I have noticed anyway I have a standard 128gbcard in slot it hasn't even rebooted when I open certain apps either unless this has been patched the new battery solved my issues

Cool. Glad your issue was fixed as well.

Khurram_R

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for letting me know it is a *battery* issue! I just assumed that it was a software issue (though I am on the Release Preview Ring so they should be pretty stable builds ...).

My less than one year old Lumia 950 XL was becoming unusable due to frequent reboots, battery was draining fast and it seemed more stable when plugged in to a charger. I ended up carrying a battery pack and USB cable around.

I took my phone to a Microsoft store and the Answers Desk guy said he didn't have any replacement batteries right now so he offered me a brand new phone and backing up the data from my old phone - new 950 XL is totally stable and all my data transferred over fine.

I asked him if the new phone would develop the same problem and he said he didn't know ...

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a 950XL and since around 3 weeks ago it randomly reboots. Have tried a combination of the following,
Bluetooth off
Wireless off
Wireless 2.4ghz
no SD card
Latest release build , hard reset
latest slow ring build, hard reset, not restore from backup (latest config, today, rebooted 5 times already)

Still reboots, the battery is holding a charge just fine... any ideas?

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It might hold charge but still reboot because of battery. My battery problems started around the Anniversary Update so I thought it was the software issue. And maybe it was initially but then I found some posts about battery and started observing things a bit closer. My original battery at first caused problems when the level went down to 20-30%. As soon as I wanted to do something it would reboot or freeze. Anything actually but in particular something more power hungry, like taking pictures or opening a few ad-filled websites would cause this problem. Gradually the symptoms would start when battery was at 40% and recently even 50-60% of charge. That definitely indicates that something is wrong with electrical characteristics of battery. So, I went hunting for a new one. Oh, boy. Microsoft is just awesome when it comes to accessories and spare parts for their phones. I had to settle for some supposedly 'genuine OEM' battery from eBay. When it arrived it didn't look good. Had some scratches in the corners. Looked like some sort of refurbished. I put it in my phone, charged and exactly the same problems started but this time when the charge was at 70-80%. I put my old battery back. And again, good, good, good, battery goes down to 50%, the phone reboots. Then MS had a sale on their Lumias for Christmas. I got one for $299. Figured - if it doesn't work, I'll return it. So, I took the battery out of the new phone, put in the old one and voila! magically it works.
Long story short - MS really screwed up with those phones. Again. They shipped phones with bad batteries with no way to replace them. BTW that makes me wonder what's the point of removable covers if they don't sell batteries...

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
It might hold charge but still reboot because of battery. My battery problems started around the Anniversary Update so I thought it was the software issue. And maybe it was initially but then I found some posts about battery and started observing things a bit closer. My original battery at first caused problems when the level went down to 20-30%. As soon as I wanted to do something it would reboot or freeze. Anything actually but in particular something more power hungry, like taking pictures or opening a few ad-filled websites would cause this problem. Gradually the symptoms would start when battery was at 40% and recently even 50-60% of charge. That definitely indicates that something is wrong with electrical characteristics of battery. So, I went hunting for a new one. Oh, boy. Microsoft is just awesome when it comes to accessories and spare parts for their phones. I had to settle for some supposedly 'genuine OEM' battery from eBay. When it arrived it didn't look good. Had some scratches in the corners. Looked like some sort of refurbished. I put it in my phone, charged and exactly the same problems started but this time when the charge was at 70-80%. I put my old battery back. And again, good, good, good, battery goes down to 50%, the phone reboots. Then MS had a sale on their Lumias for Christmas. I got one for $299. Figured - if it doesn't work, I'll return it. So, I took the battery out of the new phone, put in the old one and voila! magically it works.
Long story short - MS really screwed up with those phones. Again. They shipped phones with bad batteries with no way to replace them. BTW that makes me wonder what's the point of removable covers if they don't sell batteries...

like you said yours did, mine also started acting wacked out even at 50% remaining capacity over the course of the past 3 weeks or so.

Not sure where you are located, but I found 5 vendors selling brand new OEM batteries for the 950XL on eBay, for $15 shipped out of California.

Ordered one, got here in 3 days. Thanks to all your help everyone, and it seems that it is, in fact, the battery.

Last edited:

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what I got. Supposedly genuine with "Microsoft" written, looks exactly like the one that came with my phone with one small difference. The batteries that come with the phone have the production date. The one I bought on eBay didn't. And as I said - it definitely looked used or poorly made. The printed paper (or whatever it is) around the battery is not straight. For me it looks counterfeit, and I'm pretty sure it is. If it isn't then how come MS doesn't have them? Maybe I'm just not lucky. Either way I think MS should sell the batteries through official channels, so people wouldn't have to buy them on eBay from some third parties (with obviously no guarantees).
But what's important it seems like definitely my problems were the battery - so, if anyone experiences similar symptoms, they should try to get a new one.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what I got. Supposedly genuine with "Microsoft" written, looks exactly like the one that came with my phone with one small difference. The batteries that come with the phone have the production date. The one I bought on eBay didn't. And as I said - it definitely looked used or poorly made. The printed paper (or whatever it is) around the battery is not straight. For me it looks counterfeit, and I'm pretty sure it is. If it isn't then how come MS doesn't have them? Maybe I'm just not lucky. Either way I think MS should sell the batteries through official channels, so people wouldn't have to buy them on eBay from some third parties (with obviously no guarantees).
But what's important it seems like definitely my problems were the battery - so, if anyone experiences similar symptoms, they should try to get a new one.

Upon closer inspection, I fear you may be correct... the numbers are very close to matching but slightly off as is the font. Also, from 12% to 100% it never hit above 39% / hour charging rate, which is slow compared to the usual 78% rate I got with the original battery.... who knows.

Microsoft (physical) store does not carry them and refuse to give me one from a phone there, or even sell one. So this is it as far as I can see.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Although it's very unpopular to say this at WC forums, MS is pretty clear that they don't want anything to do with Lumia line and they bet only on some mythical future paradigm shift. They don't make those phones anymore, they lower the prices constantly trying to get rid of them from stores. Absolutely no real support, no accessories like batteries. And on top of that, even if you go to a store the phones are hidden somewhere in the corner (if they're there at all).
I was always a big fan of Windows phones and I even spent another $300 and bought another Lumia 950XL just because of this unfortunate battery. However as soon as this one breaks there's no other way to go but with iPhone or Android. That's the truth. Or you can keep buying new phones, from Acer, HP or whatever daredevil is going to make them in 6 months. If you're stubborn you can hold on to this system for many years to come. After all, we have almost 2017 and you can still buy a Blackberry for instance. But does it make it a smart choice? It's your decision...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss