Cannot separate Videos and Photos location; Bug?

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I want Pictures on the SD card and Videos saved to my phone. But, no matter what I do, Pictures and Videos are always saved in the same location (Device or SD card). Even if I pick Pictures in one location and Videos in the opposite, they are both saving to the same location.

If they are both set to "This Device", they save to my phone (good). If I set both to "SD Card", they both save to the SD card (good). But if Photos/Videos is set to one location and the other medium is set to the other location... they end up going to the same place (not good.)

Anyone else have this problem?

I got the SanDisk SD card (64GB) that was highlighted in the Windows Central article, but I'm getting stutterin in the first three (or so) seonds on every 1080/30fps video I take. But I've seen no distortion/problem with pics. Not having the stuttering problem on the videos saved to the phone, I was hoping to put Photos on the SD Card and Videos on the Phone.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't own a Lumia 950 XL (yet, just ordered it), but I've been using Windows 10 Mobile TP for a couple of months now. Videos shot with the device have never been stored anywhere else but under Pictures/Camera Roll for me. Not in WP 8.1, not in any build of WM10 TP. The Videos folder is the default location where the Movies & TV app expects shows/recordings/movies and whatnot to find.
So the issue you're describing here is not actually a bug, but a behaviour that has always been like that. It's working as intended, just not as you had expected.

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20151130_0001.jpgWell, in the Storage control panel, it asks you where Videos will be stored. And it gives you a choice. It just doesn't respect it.

Again, if I select *both* Pictures and Videos to go to the SD card, they do, in fact, go to the SD card. It's just when one is set to one, and the other is set to the other, that things aren't respected.

See the pic.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 117898Well, in the Storage control panel, it asks you where Videos will be stored. And it gives you a choice. It just doesn't respect it.

Again, if I select *both* Pictures and Videos to go to the SD card, they do, in fact, go to the SD card. It's just when one is set to one, and the other is set to the other, that things aren't respected.

See the pic.

I've already tried to explain. Videos doesn't mean videos you record with your device, but those you download with an according app - like the TV & Movies app. If you download any video using this app, you will see it goes to the videos folder on either the device's internal storage or SD card, according to your setting. Videos recorded using your device will always be stored whatever you chose for pictures to be stored.

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Bah! Now I get it (sorry, thick skull.)

That is a bummer. With the size of smartphone videos nowadays (and I'm just talkin' the 1080/30 ones, let alone the 4K ones), I wish we did have the option to separate. Then again, the stutter problem is unacceptable...

Thanks for the clarification.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Bah! Now I get it (sorry, thick skull.)

That is a bummer. With the size of smartphone videos nowadays (and I'm just talkin' the 1080/30 ones, let alone the 4K ones), I wish we did have the option to separate. Then again, the stutter problem is unacceptable...

Thanks for the clarification.

You're very welcome. The way I do it is to simply delete videos and pictures off of my device after a while. They're either on OneDrive through automatic upload or manually transferred to my external harddrive anyway, so there's not much of a reason for me to keep them on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss