Lumia 950/950 XL Summary

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So having been following all the threads relating to these phones and almost all the external reviews as well, I have summised the phone receiving less than favorable reviews due to the following 3 areas:

• OS Readiness
  • Lack of Apps
  • Feel in hand

So lets break those down a bit to understand what we are really Facing:

• OS Readiness

We know with absolute certainty that this situation will improve with up and coming updates and fixes to the issues highlighted, yes we know it may take time, but as this is a phone for the fans, it will definitely improve, of that I have no doubt. Perhaps it shouldn't have shipped in its current state, but for me (personal opinion) I dont mind having the latest in Hardware as my 920 is long in the tooth.

• Lack of Apps

No as a long time Windows Phone/Mobile user, we knew this situation wasnt going to magically change between 10581 and 10586 so what we are seeing in that regard is nothing new and for many of us the 3rd party apps are in some instances better than official apps (I recentl read the official IG app for Android will only offer multiple account services in its latest update - whaaatt??)

• In hand Feel

This is something that can be fixed, albeit at an on-cost with Mozo cases which look fairly good and in time as more become available I think will definitely give us that premium in hand feel.

So that aside, what are facing in actuality? Well to me it is simply OS readiness and nothing more. The other elements can be remedied (Premium feel) and the App gap wasn't anything new , reviewers are simply bashing or Naive to expect Windows 10 to have changed the game as most would have been following the insider builds in one way or another and this wouldn't have been new news. Sure they have to call it out, however the phone would never get a good review no matter what due to that.

With that in mind, I think the 950 will leave us Windows Fans in good stead in the coming months to see what the future has in store for us.

That said, I have been following other devices and platforms and see that they have their fair share of issues as well. The Sony Z5 has recieved poor reviews and is a flagship device, scoring in some reviews the same as the 950. This from a company that has been putting out premium devices year on year. I see some major concerns on the fingerprint scanner and how poorly it functions.

The Apple fans have been complaining of OS lag in 9.1 and Apply has sworn to address this in 9.2.

Marshmallow facing lag and inconsistencies across the board leading to frutstrations.

This all from OS's that are mature and have been around for ages Vs. W10M which is brand new and still not in its RTM builds I believe.

Anyways just thought I would add that in for context.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been totally happy with mine. I moved away from Android for this phone and I really, really like it. For what I need to do, it is working fine.

Ash773

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear that. When it becomes available in Australia. I'm finally going to make the switch away from android.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
For me personally, I could have overlooked everything (app gap, stability, some battery drain, plastic creeks) if the camera exceeded the Nokia 808. If it were truly for the fans, they could have squeezed it in. Look forward and willing to wait for the surface phone (if that camera is not good, will have no choice but to purchase 1 year old 950)

EvoLuTioNHeaVy

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it but I'm switching to the Galaxy Edge Plus (just for a year). There's nothing new here and I think I've given MSFT enough of my money and support to not feel guilty. There's apps that I'm missing out on and I'm tired of making excuses for it. Maybe a year from now things will be different...

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it but I'm switching to the Galaxy Edge Plus (just for a year). There's nothing new here and I think I've given MSFT enough of my money and support to not feel guilty. There's apps that I'm missing out on and I'm tired of making excuses for it. Maybe a year from now things will be different...

Do it...that's what I did it just didn't last a year. Only 10 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos