12-15-2015 04:53 PM
587 1234 ...
tools
    Edit your title...
    Done.

So he can sell the display dock and make money. Doesn't surprise me.
    I'm pretty sure there is little profiteering to be had on this device.

I am on the fence too.
    Should be worth $200 more than I paid for it.
    I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.
    I was really hoping to be much more impressed, blown away.
    But instead I am left wondering if I paid too much for something I didn't really need.
    Hoping the dock performs as expected, and gives me the experience I was looking for.
    Really? How is it "worth $200 more than I paid" at the same time you are "left wondering if I paid too much?"

FWIW, 1520 launched with WP 8 Update 3 + Lumia Cyan. It was a very mature iteration of the OS, not a refresh. Your experience is your experience, but comparing the state of the software on 1520 at release with the state of the software on 950 at release is disingenuous.

actually not making any money on it. selling it for retail. was going to return it but since its still on backorder and not shipping the next round until the 11th why not give someone else that wants it more than I do a shot at getting it before their order.
    So you are getting rid of it before even having it in hand? It is a known phenomena that reading all the complaints about something is a skewed perspective. People are far more willing to grouse about a product over and over again than make one good comment. The seeming reality of a flood of complaints vs a trickle of compliments is actually the reverse of the true reality. For every 5 complaints, how many of them are the same poster coming round again? For every compliment there are probably 5 other users going on their way quite happily who never took time to post.
    11-30-2015 10:30 AM
    some people just cant be pleased.... the phone is awesome. yes it has its quirks, and msft knows this.. they will update it soon. apparently you didnt "need this phone for work" and "waited years" for this phone, otherwise you would have known exactly what you were getting into...
    11-30-2015 10:43 AM
    1. All things considered w10m on the 950 has exceeded my expectations given that it's a work in progress.
    2. I'd be curious to know what's so drastically bad about the 950xl/w10 that you actually want to return your phone. Not being sarcastic, I'd honestly like to know.
    3. The dock is available at the Microsoft store website for $99 with a 12/16 ship date. You can roll the dice and see if someone is so eager to try it that they can't wait two weeks for a brand new one but I doubt it.
    azilgath and rxc13 like this.
    11-30-2015 11:54 AM
    I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.
    You must be new with Microsoft OS's....Every other release is a buggy mess and it's realease LONG before it's ready. This happens in WIndows as well as all of Microsoft's software. The new corporate logo is " Let's release it on a date and if it still has issues, we'll just fix it with updates later"

WIndows 10 there was a few known Minor bugs, voted on over 25,000 times and was up there for about 4-5 months before release.... It was in the RTM..... and it was not just one..

They do this with Video games as well, Go head buy ANY day one release on the xbox one....bring it home on disk, and there is at least 1 update, and normally it's a HUGE update...

I kind of miss old NES/SNES carts....They HAD to test fully before releasing, as a update would of been a re-call (sending carts back to Nintendo) and the cost would of been crazy.....As you can guess, not very many recalls and most NES games were pretty solid...
    11-30-2015 12:08 PM
    I'll post my experience. My 950 XL has been a dream to use software wise. No issues, the speed has been amazing compared to win 10 on my 1520. The camera speed is superb, apps open instantly, no resuming, no loading screens, etc.
    editguy, thaman04, zei20t and 9 others like this.
    11-30-2015 12:26 PM
    You must be new with Microsoft OS's....Every other release is a buggy mess and it's realease LONG before it's ready. This happens in WIndows as well as all of Microsoft's software. The new corporate logo is " Let's release it on a date and if it still has issues, we'll just fix it with updates later"

WIndows 10 there was a few known Minor bugs, voted on over 25,000 times and was up there for about 4-5 months before release.... It was in the RTM..... and it was not just one..

They do this with Video games as well, Go head buy ANY day one release on the xbox one....bring it home on disk, and there is at least 1 update, and normally it's a HUGE update...
    this isn't just a microsoft issue, but an issue with most software developers now. just because a fix is that much easier to push out doesn't mean the product should be pushed out before it's done. I know every OS has this issue, and it's happening more and more across the board.
    Brandon Keenan and rxc13 like this.
    11-30-2015 12:38 PM
    I have been using my 950 xl since thanksgiving day and so far I'm loving it, no issues and it is a keeper for me for a long time.
    editguy, Xsled, azilgath and 3 others like this.
    11-30-2015 12:43 PM
    1. All things considered w10m on the 950 has exceeded my expectations given that it's a work in progress.
    2. I'd be curious to know what's so drastically bad about the 950xl/w10 that you actually want to return your phone. Not being sarcastic, I'd honestly like to know.
    3. The dock is available at the Microsoft store website for $99 with a 12/16 ship date. You can roll the dice and see if someone is so eager to try it that they can't wait two weeks for a brand new one but I doubt it.
    1. thats good that youre having a better experience than I am.
    2. Its the battery primarily. It drains much quicker than it should for being so large and this phone is not that significant of a step up from my 1520 that works perfectly fine. I dont mind wp10 being in development still since I enjoy finding bugs and reporting them but when you cant use your phone from when getting up in the morning until coming home from work with minimal to moderate usage thats a problem.
    3. yea we will see. if no one bites then returning it to the msoft store. no harm no foul.
    11-30-2015 12:50 PM
    some people just cant be pleased.... the phone is awesome. yes it has its quirks, and msft knows this.. they will update it soon. apparently you didnt "need this phone for work" and "waited years" for this phone, otherwise you would have known exactly what you were getting into...
    You read poorly. I waited years to replace my 1520 AND I need my phone for work. Neither are exclusive. I was excited about this phone but it is a disappointment.
    Jeddic likes this.
    11-30-2015 12:51 PM
    I disagree. My 1520 has been nothing but satisfying since purchasing it. I shouldnt have to justify a performance hit for a new OS that I didnt want/need but microsoft is shoving down everyones throats. Ive been with the developer preview program since they first allowed it on my 1520 and its come leaps and bounds from where it was so much so that I didnt downgrade back to 8.1 for the most recent build like I have done previously.
    11-30-2015 12:55 PM
    So you are getting rid of it before even having it in hand?
    No currently have had it on hand since the 25th.

It is a known phenomena that reading all the complaints about something is a skewed perspective. People are far more willing to grouse about a product over and over again than make one good comment. The seeming reality of a flood of complaints vs a trickle of compliments is actually the reverse of the true reality. For every 5 complaints, how many of them are the same poster coming round again? For every compliment there are probably 5 other users going on their way quite happily who never took time to post
    I am aware of this especially with my xps 15 9550. The people that post supposed problems I have never encountered but that did not prohibit me from buying the product. When receiving my 950xl there simply werent any reviews to go off of and using it in store about a month ago gave a good impression of it to me. I wanted to like it but just cant find the pros outweighing the cons.
    11-30-2015 01:01 PM
    I disagree. My 1520 has been nothing but satisfying since purchasing it. I shouldnt have to justify a performance hit for a new OS that I didnt want/need but microsoft is shoving down everyones throats. Ive been with the developer preview program since they first allowed it on my 1520 and its come leaps and bounds from where it was so much so that I didnt downgrade back to 8.1 for the most recent build like I have done previously.
    I am in the same boat, the 1520 was my favorite phone since I got it (more memorable than the note 3,4,5 that I bought along side it). The 950xl is no where near as satisfying or smooth of an experience.

The 1520 lasted for damn near ever on its battery, i'll blame this **** job QC did on the 810. Almost no phones this year have good battery life using that chip.

I am factory resetting one more time to see if things improve. Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.
    7a2eer and Brandon Keenan like this.
    11-30-2015 01:02 PM
    What about doing a hard reset? People have been saying that this works well when you're having problems with a new phone.
    11-30-2015 01:08 PM
    Its like Android is taboo on this forum. OP do us all a favor and get an Android phone XD
    Will get the best of Microsoft's services, and regular updates. I've received two OTA updates to my OPX in two weeks, something Microsoft does not seem capable of doing...
    11-30-2015 01:12 PM
    I am in the same boat, the 1520 was my favorite phone since I got it (more memorable than the note 3,4,5 that I bought along side it). The 950xl is no where near as satisfying or smooth of an experience.

The 1520 lasted for damn near ever on its battery, i'll blame this **** job QC did on the 810. Almost no phones this year have good battery life using that chip.

I am factory resetting one more time to see if things improve. Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.
    Onedrive consistently failed to upload the photos I took to onedrive which I noticed also on my 1520. Not sure if there is a background task problem or what but it is annoying to not have that feature work correctly.
    11-30-2015 01:27 PM
    What about doing a hard reset? People have been saying that this works well when you're having problems with a new phone.
    Tried that 3 times. No change. I wish they managed the app and OS restore better like iOS does with the image backups. Having to redownload every single app gets tedious when you have 100+ apps
    JawZ_28 and vezycash like this.
    11-30-2015 01:28 PM
    Its like Android is taboo on this forum. OP do us all a favor and get an Android phone XD
    Will get the best of Microsoft's services, and regular updates. I've received two OTA updates to my OPX in two weeks, something Microsoft does not seem capable of doing...
    Have nothing against android, started my android user experience with the original HTC Hero gsm and loved it. Solid phone but the OS was still at its infant state at that point. Have used notes and nexus phones since then when have been impressive. Almost bought the 6p actually until they said no Qi charging which I have too many accessories to not have a device that supports it. My biggest gripe of android is security lol. It seems like every week I read an article of why android is the least secure between iOS and WP.
    Jeddic and rxc13 like this.
    11-30-2015 01:30 PM
    Yeap very annoying. It is actually a deal breaker for me. I've got 9 years worth of photos on my onedrive (moved from dropbox and google drive), not moving to another provider to get reliable service, i'll move to another phone again.
    rambo47 likes this.
    11-30-2015 01:32 PM
    so i dont understand... its running the same build as on the 1520.. but this phone is way nicer in terms of hardware. besides, what is stopping you from doing your work on this phone? not being a ****, trying to help.
    azilgath and rxc13 like this.
    11-30-2015 01:41 PM
    so i dont understand... its running the same build as on the 1520.. but this phone is way nicer in terms of hardware. besides, what is stopping you from doing your work on this phone? not being a ****, trying to help
    The specs arent in question. If we were basing it solely on specs I would be crazy to not use the 950xl. But then put on the OS and it becomes a power grab for the battery as the 950xls display and messaging app just hogs the entire battery to crippling levels within half a day. On standby I was even getting terrible performance and I never saw the battery drain below 10% per hour. If it got 24 hours or even 18 hours Id be content but its not anywhere near that. Couple that with the now less convenient usb c cable and its just unfortunate.
    11-30-2015 01:47 PM
    The specs arent in question. If we were basing it solely on specs I would be crazy to not use the 950xl. But then put on the OS and it becomes a power grab for the battery as the 950xls display and messaging app just hogs the entire battery to crippling levels within half a day. On standby I was even getting terrible performance and I never saw the battery drain below 10% per hour. If it got 24 hours or even 18 hours Id be content but its not anywhere near that. Couple that with the now less convenient usb c cable and its just unfortunate.
    usb c is more convenient imo.. and yah battery so far is all over the place. sometimes it drains quick, sometimes is superb. i had mine on standby for 4 hours and 1% was used. other times it drains. theres a software leech somewhere. just wait. all these will be fixed
    11-30-2015 01:51 PM
    I got my 950xl on Wednesday(the 25th) played with it for a couple days then boxed it up and it's currently sitting on my desk waiting to be shipped out today. Then, sadly went out and bought a Note 5. Yeah, I know, first world problems.

There was nothing wrong with phone. It's a very nice phone but I decided it's basically the same as my 930 just bigger and unfortunately my 930 isn't meeting my needs anymore. I hope to come back to WM someday
    11-30-2015 02:02 PM
    usb c is more convenient imo.. and yah battery so far is all over the place. sometimes it drains quick, sometimes is superb. i had mine on standby for 4 hours and 1% was used. other times it drains. theres a software leech somewhere. just wait. all these will be fixed
    I agree with you. USB C is a heck of a lot better than conventional mini or micro usb because of functionality but I wish more companies would jump on the band wagon. In due time Im sure they will but like I went to bestbuy and the only USB c adapter was the $90 apple one for the macbook. Yea I hope so for microsofts sake.
    11-30-2015 02:05 PM
    I agree with you. USB C is a heck of a lot better than conventional mini or micro usb because of functionality but I wish more companies would jump on the band wagon. In due time Im sure they will but like I went to bestbuy and the only USB c adapter was the $90 apple one for the macbook. Yea I hope so for microsofts sake.
    i honestly wouldnt worry. usb c will be the new standard. its reversible and faster than micro usb. also less prone to breaking. msft is just the first to use it in a phone. some other devices are already using it too.
    11-30-2015 02:56 PM
    Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.
    OneDrive uploads in W10M are somewhat sketchy. While I've never had one fail completely, they often seem to require a nudge - like it doesn't do it until I actually go in and look at the download queue. In WP8.1 it was completely "set and forget", I never had to manage it at all. I hope they fix that problem.
    SpinelessWonder and Jeddic like this.
    11-30-2015 02:57 PM
587 1234 ...