Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
It makes me laugh when people are angry that they get a glitchy phone after spending soooo much money. Fact is the OS you are getting on your 500$ 950XL phone is no different than the OS I am getting for my 20$ lumia 640. And in fact my 640 hasn't glitched at all. And come on people look at iPhone(moderate amount) or even worse android- its a minefield of glitches, random battery drainage and what not.

The concept that the more you pay the less bugs you should expect is invalid. Any device you buy ESPECIALLY newly released hardware cramped phone like the 950XL - you should expect the unexpected.

bottomline, all software has its fits. And all we can do is report the problem and wait for a fix. Its what technology consumers have been doing for last 20 years.

PS. I connected my Bluetooth mouse to my 640 and had a cursor, its hilariouus !!!

PS PS admin - all good with this post?

You must just be one incredibly lucky guy.. I've been running the last two insider versions and I've had quite a few glitches.. Still do and waiting for the next version hoping it will have more fixes.
Actually your the first person I've seen here running Insiders WP10 who hasn't had ANY glitches,.. Amazing to say the least..

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I am sorry but the 950xl is the best handset on the market and microsoft are the ultimate software geniuses, they have literally some of the smartest people on the planet working for them and you can be sure any teething problems will be ironed out quick sharp. I just witnessed this with the new windows 10 update for xbox one from buggy preview to butter smooth in a week.

leaving now is a major mistake ios is overpriced sheep bait and android is just a mess, mass market mess for sure but still a mess.

I didn't leave, but returned to my 1520, which is superior to the 950 XL atm when it comes to usability. So no, the 950 XL isn't the best handset right now with all the reboot and Wifi disconnect problems, missing double tap to wake and inability to use it with gloves, just to name some. It just felt like an expensive downgrade - may change over time, but the price too.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't leave, but returned to my 1520, which is superior to the 950 XL atm when it comes to usability. So no, the 950 XL isn't the best handset right now with all the reboot and Wifi disconnect problems, missing double tap to wake and inability to use it with gloves, just to name some. It just felt like an expensive downgrade - may change over time, but the price too.

Wow, is everyone having reboot issues on Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL?

Cheeky_47

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
No problems here at all, no reboots, everything seems to work exactly as it should be, good battery life, getting a day easily.

The problem is that it's the folks who have issues that are going to post and that makes it seem like the problems are far more widespread than they are. Those that are content tend to say nothing... They're busy enjoying their phones! :)

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
No problems here at all, no reboots, everything seems to work exactly as it should be, good battery life, getting a day easily.

The problem is that it's the folks who have issues that are going to post and that makes it seem like the problems are far more widespread than they are. Those that are content tend to say nothing... They're busy enjoying their phones! :)

I can confirm this... I have no such issues :) I am really happy

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now that we're almost 500 posts deep into this thread I spent ten minutes looking at who actually seemed serious about returning theirs. Apart from myself, these are the people that said they'd return it:

1. Brandon Keenan
2. JRDEMASKUS
3. cracgor
4. Sunstorming
5. donkiluminate
6. abyssartsstudio
7. coolbreeze78
8. Leovince1500
9. hzelaya
10. Burger Nog
11. HoosierDaddy
12. Me Again1
13. ALpHa.Q.RoUgH
14. Nischi85
15. jonstewart
16. JK-SC
17. Unauthorized
18. Chaitanya Polumetla

Five or six of these had fewer than three posts total, but they sounded serious. So about twenty guys/gals in this mammoth thread wanted to return theirs, and maybe ten did. Seems like the sky is not falling. :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And I wonder how many of those 20 or so will wait for the inevitable first bug fix update to roll out....

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Now that we're almost 500 posts deep into this thread I spent ten minutes looking at who actually seemed serious about returning theirs. Apart from myself, these are the people that said they'd return it:

1. Brandon Keenan
2. JRDEMASKUS
3. cracgor
4. Sunstorming
5. donkiluminate
6. abyssartsstudio
7. coolbreeze78
8. Leovince1500
9. hzelaya
10. Burger Nog
11. HoosierDaddy
12. Me Again1
13. ALpHa.Q.RoUgH
14. Nischi85
15. jonstewart
16. JK-SC
17. Unauthorized
18. Chaitanya Polumetla

Five or six of these had fewer than three posts total, but they sounded serious. So about twenty guys/gals in this mammoth thread wanted to return theirs, and maybe ten did. Seems like the sky is not falling. :)

Well many have posted more than once. It would be also ok to see how many have issues with their phones, no matter if they said they will return the phones or not, in this way we can see how bad the situation is with these devices.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well many have posted more than once. It would be also ok to see how many have issues with their phones, no matter if they said they will return the phones or not, in this way we can see how bad the situation is with these devices.

So to recap your current position, you don't own, or even intend to own either a 950 or 950XL, but instead you're happy to trash both devices as often as possible without having any personal experience of either.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So to recap your current position, you don't own, or even intend to own either a 950 or 950XL, but instead you're happy to trash both devices as often as possible without having any personal experience of either.

I haven't said I do not want to buy one..but sorry mate, I cannot spend that amount of money just wishing that my device won't reboot on it's own. If you are willing to risk your cash fine by me, but don't expect anyone to do it just because it's Microsoft.
I will buy either a 950 or a 950XL when the reboot issues are recognized by MS and fixed, if indeed it's a software/driver related problem.
And yes, I am trashing these devices because of the lack of quality control MS has! not because of the phones themselves. The OS drags them down badly. You think it's nice to see the phones in the store and not being able to buy them because of these problems? or to actually get one and hope that you will be able to make a phone call without it going haywire and reboot?

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
And I wonder how many of those 20 or so will wait for the inevitable first bug fix update to roll out....

Actually I DID. But although the changelog was suggesting fixes for Bluetooth issues, build 10586.29 did not fix any of my problems. It is just too much money to deal with such things.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That wasn't a specific bug fix for the 950/950XL, it was simply bringing the OS to the same level as the other insiders and PC build.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
And yes, I am trashing these devices because of the lack of quality control MS has
I can't really tell people what to post, but imo this thread is not for 'trashing these devices'. For me this thread shows which issues were enough of a problem to make people want to return their brand new phone. For some new WP users it's the OS, so be it, but even some diehard WP fans (myself included) had a couple of hardware/firmware issues.

The good news is that hardware issues seem reasonably rare and are likely to have a quick fix. Maybe the toughest will be battery drain. Tough to track down. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if any new show stopping issues pop up, or if solutions to early problems come up. I think there's hope. :)

Last edited:

DarthJay38

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, I was really on the fence about whether or not to stay with Windows Phone. The app-gap was starting to get to me and I was disappointed to hear all the issues from folks who have been using the new phones for a bit. I had a Lumia 920 that I put some of the latest builds of Windows Mobile 10 on and it was a TERRIBLE experience. I don't know if it was the hardware or the fact that I was using pre-production builds, but it was TERRIBLE.

I went ahead and stuck with it, though, because I've been a fan and a user since Windows 7 and I just couldn't bring myself to bail on the ecosystem just yet because I think (and hope) exciting things are on the horizon. So I got the 950 yesterday and, I have to say, so far I am quite impressed by it. I see none of the issues I experienced on my 920 - the OS feels solid. My battery life has been pretty good and the phone looks and performs fantastically. So I'm glad I stuck with it. Now guys -- let's get to work on that app gap...PLEASE. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers