12-15-2015 04:53 PM
587 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I traded my Lumia Icon in for an iPhone 6sPlus on Verizon and hope that after the next year Microsoft and Verizon make nice and release the 950XL or variant with an updated Win10Mobile! I'm liking my iPhone more and more each day but still hope a great Windows Phone is available sooner than later on Verizon!
    rambo47 likes this.
    12-01-2015 02:42 PM
    Today I tried a test 6 days this device. I started ay 8:00 am. I short call. No video or gaming. Constant use for emails, text and reading news online. Display at 50% brightness. Hello is on. At 1:00, battery is down to 30% from 100% charging all night. That's 70% usage in 4 hours, with no heavy usage (but location is also on). I thought battery was acceptable after seeing huge improvement from i first this, but I guess it's all relative because this really is terrible efficiency.
    Brandon Keenan likes this.
    12-01-2015 03:05 PM
    All these issues with the handsets makes me think they were doing a run of phones rushed and assembled by hand with poor process control to meet the release deadline...
    12-01-2015 03:06 PM
    I returned my 950XL yesterday and switched back to L1520.
    And feel very comfortable.
    Had it for 4 days.
    950XL unlocked, dual SIM.
    Below is list of problems what I got:
    1. Charging process warms phone up to very high temperature. Doesn't matter what type of charging- wired or wireless.
    2. Notification can be assigned only to global configuration: one ringtone for all email accounts on the phone, one for phone ring.
    3. Unique Microsoft future "read SMS aloud thru Bluetooth" is now integrated in Cortana. For Cortana to work, all WP services must be enabled (location, microphone,....etc) and it drains battery in few hours.
    4. Microsoft implemented Bluetooth MAP protocol , but didn't give option to turn it off. It creates conflicts between car's SMS modules and Cortana. As a result, driver has to look at the dashboard screen to read SMS messages.
    5. No way to restore backup from previous Lumia models. Only fresh install!
    6. Speaker installed on the back side of the phone and if you caring phone in the belt holster, holster side covers speaker. And it is not loud by it self.
    I'm not a game person. I'm not using camera very often, but camera quality is VERY HIGH!
    All listed miscellanies things making my life with Windows phone 950XL very difficult and I decided to return phone and stack for now with my L1520 with W8.1.
    I'll keep my eye on the L950XL improvement process and may be one day get this phone again.

12-01-2015 03:08 PM
    If you reach 100% likely, just send it my way. I will compensate you.
    This goes to everybody who are planning on ditching their lumia 950xl.
    If you no longer want it, send me a message and I will gladly take it off your hands.
    12-01-2015 03:20 PM
    I don't know. Everyday I owned it it would enter an endless reboot cycle if I put an app on the SD card. It also lacked some key features like visual voicemail I needed for work. I couldn't get emails to load pictures. I spent hours on customer support. Between these things and the app gap, which I've been increasingly aware of, it just kind of made me wake up. I realized I was only considering windows phone and putting up with to much for the price tag.
    Did you ever solve your emails to load pictures? I just spent hours with customer support trying to resolve this issue as well.. and they didn't have a clue. They were sending around in circles from person to person. They tried having me uninstall Outlook... which is a bit hard to do on Windows 10 Mobile. So they gave me a link to a Win 7 Phone site.

Currently my Lumia Icon loads email images better than my brand new 950 xl.

950 xl:

Icon:

12-01-2015 03:26 PM
    If the phone isn't performing to your expectations, why would it matter what the dock does. The star of the movie is the phone, not the dock.

I'm confused.
    Ben Schmidt1 likes this.
    12-01-2015 03:26 PM
    Did you ever solve your emails to load pictures? I just spent hours with customer support trying to resolve this issue as well.. and they didn't have a clue. They were sending around in circles from person to person. They tried having me uninstall Outlook... which is a bit hard to do on Windows 10 Mobile. So they gave me a link to a Win 7 Phone site.

950 xl:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...pskm0bw2dl.png

Icon:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psksyqi8yt.png
    gonna sound super odd, but hard reset your phone.... restore from backup. it will fix it. i didnt believe it until i did it
    Ben Schmidt1 likes this.
    12-01-2015 04:05 PM
    gonna sound super odd, but hard reset your phone.... restore from backup. it will fix it. i didnt believe it until i did it
    Started this way initially, but will try it again when I get home from work. I'll keep you posted, thanks again for the update!
    12-01-2015 04:14 PM
    I'm super happy with the phone but after reading this thread I'm wondering if I there is something wrong with me being happy with my purchase.
    I was expecting better battery life, like 5% after 10 hoursout of the charger. I was getting between 10-12 hours from my Lumia 920 in 10586.11 before getting to critical and with the 950 XL I'm around 30-40 %after 10 hours.

Everything else have been working perfectly, messaging + skype doesn't kill my battery, the camera is much, much better than the one in my sister in law Icon and my mom's Lumia 1520. Better Wi-Fi range (I not sure about performance), it has been working perfectly as a cellphone (I have VM deactivated since several years ago, so I have no idea what is visual voicemail). No app crashes (other than Onedrive) or phone crashes. Windows Hello has been pretty accurate even with glasses.

I would like it to be twice as heavy and as sturdy as my Lumia 920 is but I think that I can live without that.

What I don’t like is USB-C; I don’t have cables to charge it and I don’t want to use the ones in the box. I will buy some sooner than later but I’m not willing to at this point. I have no SD card to comment about apps installed there but I should be able to test that next week.

Wireless charging has been working fine in the DT-900 but I had to put it horizontally in the DT-910 to align the coils and over a 1 cm spacer.I haven’t activated “hey Cortana” because I can’t use it without being annoying at work. Lumia offer app is not giving me the Dock promotion and I plan to check on that later.

So far, I’m happy with the phone even with the less than expected battery life. I’m dead serious about wanting the phone to spend 5 % in10 hours and I realize no smartphone is capable of that.
    editguy and gcyoung like this.
    12-01-2015 04:21 PM
    Less than 10 days?

It helps if you look at buying a 950 or 950 XL as enlisting in a hardware version of Windows Insiders. Call it the Lumia Insiders pay-to-play plan. Basically you are paying to be a beta tester. Many video game publishers and video game startups make you pay upfront for beta access. Same thing here. Microsoft marketing genius.
    Brandon Keenan likes this.
    12-01-2015 04:21 PM
    Started this way initially, but will try it again when I get home from work. I'll keep you posted, thanks again for the update!
    I've also read you have to hard reset without a backup from scratch. So if one doesn't work, try the other. Its only a couple of hours of your time. I sent my phone back. If it gets worked out soon enough I may buy it again. Otherwise I'm probably going with a Nexus 6P and consider coming back when the OS isn't handicAPPed.
    12-01-2015 04:24 PM
    Nope. Mine was done twice: First out of the box w/ restore, sucked the battery. Second, hard reset w/ no restore, still sucked. I realize its good to defend an expensive purchase to validate it somehow, but the battery on this thing is horrible, even after the "pray it works and breaks in" charging escapade everyone seems to love to go through.
    My battery lasts more than a day on a single charge, and I use the phone quite a bit. Maybe you have something updating or just got a bad battery. I do make sure I actually close programs or web tabs when I am finished with them. Also keep in mind that the first several days cortana and one drive are updating like crazy.

Just as a statistic - I took my phone off of its charger at 7am this morning. I have had around 20 phone calls today, it is constantly connected to my band 2. Numerous text messages have have gone back and forth and I have done quite a bit of email and browsing on it - so it has been used most of the day. I even played wordament for a while which is a known battery hog. It is now 4:30pm and the battery is at 58%.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-01-2015 04:25 PM
    Less than 10 days?

It helps if you look at buying a 950 or 950 XL as enlisting in a hardware version of Windows Insiders. Call it the Lumia Insiders pay-to-play plan. Basically you are paying to be a beta tester. Many video game publishers and video game startups make you pay upfront for beta access. Same thing here. Microsoft marketing genius.
    I agree. But should be like $300-400 to pay to play the beta game. Not more expensive than comparable android phones.
    12-01-2015 04:29 PM
    I'm honestly thinking of cancelling my order, a few complaints on a few issues is one thing but reading all the threads here its obvious MS released a unfinished OS, I mean if we were talking issues with the Win10 update sent out for our 8.1 devices that's one thing but the 950XL was designed to run Win10.. Its pretty sad, its like you pay $650 to be a beta tester until a update rolls around which I bet won't be until early 2016.. No Thank you..
    Going to sleep on it but chances are I'll be cancelling my 950XL order and stick with my 640XL that runs flawlessly AND gets 2 days out of a full charge and that's with moderate to heavy use..
    10-12 hours isn't what I'd call even good battery life, my Note 4 was better then that and I didn't need to shut down services like people are doing here with Hello, Cortana, bluetooth, locations ect to get 12 hours out of their phones.. There's nothing worse then having to be a battery watcher when the late afternoon rolls around, been there with iPhones and early Androids and hated it..
    12-01-2015 04:58 PM
    I agree. But should be like $300-400 to pay to play the beta game. Not more expensive than comparable android phones.
    PLEASE point me in the direction of a similarly spec'd phone for less money. PLEASE DO IT. Dual Sim Note 5s are $700 on Amazon right now.

Neither the 950 or the XL overpriced, most phones of similar spec are more expensive. Buddy just got a LG G4 which is roughly the same as my 950 (808, 32gb), looked up the price, $615. Not sure how these phones are more expensive then their counterparts in the Android world.
    editguy and BenGutt like this.
    12-01-2015 05:03 PM
    PLEASE point me in the direction of a similarly spec'd phone for less money. PLEASE DO IT. Dual Sim Note 5s are $700 on Amazon right now.

Neither the 950 or the XL overpriced, most phones of similar spec are more expensive. Buddy just got a LG G4 which is roughly the same as my 950 (808, 32gb), looked up the price, $615. Not sure how these phones are more expensive then their counterparts in the Android world.
    Clash of the titans: Lumia 950 XL versus Nexus 6P | Windows Central
    Starts at $499 for a 32gb model. considering I couldn't use my sd card to install apps upgrading to the 128gb for $650 is a steal.

Also, $650 > $615...mathematics
    12-01-2015 05:11 PM
    No frustrations? I have never gotten a phone that did not make me frustrated. They are all subpar in some way or another.
    editguy, anon(5843918) and Joe920 like this.
    12-01-2015 05:17 PM
    Starts at $499 for a 32gb model. considering I couldn't use my sd card to install apps upgrading to the 128gb for $650 is a steal.

Also, $650 > $615...mathematics
    Didn't even think of the 6P, but the 6P is the oddball of comparisons as every other manufacturer isn't even close. It's interesting that the Google store has them cheaper than Amazon, they are close to the 950XL in price there.

Also the $615 was for the comparison of the 950vsG4 not XLvsG4.
    12-01-2015 05:29 PM
    I read somewhere on this forum that it takes a few charge cycles before the battery gets up to speed. If the problem is with the battery, then, its a good thing those are replaceable.
    I did about 6 full charge cycles to 'condition' the battery from 100 to ~5%. Didnt seem to help.
    12-01-2015 05:57 PM
    But I'd have to say in this scenario, it's not the OS's fault. It's definitely the screen.
    It very may well be but microsoft must have known this internally when testing this phone.

Edit: Did some research on the 1520. Many reviews were giving it around a 10 hour life of regular use. I'm wondering if you're even using your 950 XL and 1520 the same way
    Using it the same way with the same apps. Tried first with a restore from my 1520 and from a clean install. Neither made a difference. With my 1520 I could easily take it off my dt-901 in the morning around 8 and come home around 8 and still have around 40-60% battery life.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm at 50% battery life after 10 hours. Again, its probably 'low' usage since I've been at work most of the time. But the display is the big eater. That's going to happen on any phone. You can't just say, "oooh, big battery should have more life." no, the big battery is there so that you can still have the same battery life on that giant screen as you can on a smaller phone
    Yea bigger battery battery is used to compensate for more performance and such but this is a bit ridiculous. less then half a day of low to moderate use completely negates the point of a portable phone imo. I would rather just use an older phone on a more battery friendly platform (WP8.1) than have to find an outlet just to use it.
    12-01-2015 06:04 PM
    Yes its cheaper. But I've never considered Nexus pricing as a good yardstick. Google totally subsidizes them and the actual manufacturers make squat. But yep, the 6p and 5x have a good price. (and the HTC One A9 at $399 was too)
    12-01-2015 06:07 PM

950 xl:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...pskm0bw2dl.png

Icon:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psksyqi8yt.png
    Same thing was happening to me. No idea why. Tried manually downloading the images and the option to automatically download the full email with images and neither seemed to have an impact.
    12-01-2015 06:08 PM
    I'm honestly thinking of cancelling my order, a few complaints on a few issues is one thing but reading all the threads here its obvious MS released a unfinished OS, I mean if we were talking issues with the Win10 update sent out for our 8.1 devices that's one thing but the 950XL was designed to run Win10.. Its pretty sad, its like you pay $650 to be a beta tester until a update rolls around which I bet won't be until early 2016.. No Thank you..
    Going to sleep on it but chances are I'll be cancelling my 950XL order and stick with my 640XL that runs flawlessly AND gets 2 days out of a full charge and that's with moderate to heavy use..
    10-12 hours isn't what I'd call even good battery life, my Note 4 was better then that and I didn't need to shut down services like people are doing here with Hello, Cortana, bluetooth, locations ect to get 12 hours out of their phones.. There's nothing worse then having to be a battery watcher when the late afternoon rolls around, been there with iPhones and early Androids and hated it..
    You should do what makes you happy. But, really, I would never base my decision based on forum complaints. It's only natural that people having problems (and some people have problems with every piece of electronic hardware ever manufactured) would be on complaining or looking for answers. I would be on looking for answers, too. But keep in mind that far fewer people who are satisfied will ever get on talking about how satisfied they are. It's just human nature that most of us are more prone to voice complaints than praise.
    12-01-2015 06:11 PM
    10-12 hours isn't what I'd call even good battery life, my Note 4 was better then that and I didn't need to shut down services like people are doing here with Hello, Cortana, bluetooth, locations ect to get 12 hours out of their phones
    Exactly! I shouldnt need to disable hallmark features of a phone that make it unique in order to squeak a few more hours out of it.
    Captpt, illidanx and geekladyemjay like this.
    12-01-2015 06:15 PM
587 ... 56789 ...