Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
You read poorly. I waited years to replace my 1520 AND I need my phone for work. Neither are exclusive. I was excited about this phone but it is a disappointment.

The 1520 is only what 2 years old? Hardly "years"...

Priv screen goes up

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Put it on ebay and send me the link so I can buy it. Or you can give it to me for free, since you hate it so much. I wont pay more than $550 for it though. Seeing that it sells for $650 and with the student discount it is $584.

If you dont want it send it to me, sell it to me Give it to me. Include the code for the continuum dock too.
My final offer is $550

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I guess your next shot is mid-2016 and the Surface Phone. Bloggers have said that the 950 was a place holder for the Surface Phone. Microsoft NEEDED to put out a high-end Windows phone to keep folks interested while the iOS/Android juggernaut chugs along. The death (for all intents and purposes) of BlackBerry handed Microsoft the coveted Third Ecosystem title but they have to hold onto it. Mid-range to low-end Lumia models are not going to do that, and there is no money in the low end anyway. To all those WP apologists, saying it's a work in progress, ARE YOU KIDDING??!! Microsoft is not new to mobile operating systems.

Nobody should have to charge his phone during the day. Unacceptable in 2015, unless you're constantly streaming content. iPhones and Android phones last all day on a charge. Microsoft can do better.

Turning off features to make the battery last is also unacceptable. Especially on a "flagship" model. Lots of folks are convincing themselves that they don't "need" Cortana so they're ok disabling it in the name of getting through a day of normal use. Dumbing down a smartphone means you no longer have a smartphone. That's just sad.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess your next shot is mid-2016 and the Surface Phone. Bloggers have said that the 950 was a place holder for the Surface Phone. Microsoft NEEDED to put out a high-end Windows phone to keep folks interested while the iOS/Android juggernaut chugs along. The death (for all intents and purposes) of BlackBerry handed Microsoft the coveted Third Ecosystem title but they have to hold onto it. Mid-range to low-end Lumia models are not going to do that, and there is no money in the low end anyway. To all those WP apologists, saying it's a work in progress, ARE YOU KIDDING??!! Microsoft is not new to mobile operating systems.

Nobody should have to charge his phone during the day. Unacceptable in 2015, unless you're constantly streaming content. iPhones and Android phones last all day on a charge. Microsoft can do better.

Turning off features to make the battery last is also unacceptable. Especially on a "flagship" model. Lots of folks are convincing themselves that they don't "need" Cortana so they're ok disabling it in the name of getting through a day of normal use. Dumbing down a smartphone means you no longer have a smartphone. That's just sad.

I had Cortana on all the time on my 1520 and still got about 20-30 hours out of the phone. Microsoft just throws away progress way too quickly. I had this issue when my original surface power cable broke. Good luck finding a replacement. Sure things need to change and a lot of WM10 is nice, but it shouldn't be on a $700 device available to everyone. Also, they should include a disclaimer about problems with unlocked phones on networks.

dbdayton

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know. Everyday I owned it it would enter an endless reboot cycle if I put an app on the SD card. It also lacked some key features like visual voicemail I needed for work. I couldn't get emails to load pictures. I spent hours on customer support. Between these things and the app gap, which I've been increasingly aware of, it just kind of made me wake up. I realized I was only considering windows phone and putting up with to much for the price tag.

I've had the same issue. This could be a deal breaker for me. I need a fully functioning email.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Case and point, an OS shouldnt so pitifully efficient that I cant get more than 10 hours of battery life from a 3300mah battery.

I read somewhere on this forum that it takes a few charge cycles before the battery gets up to speed. If the problem is with the battery, then, its a good thing those are replaceable.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input, and please if it is needed re-read my comments here and other topics... the battery is atrocious, case closed, the end. I actually use my phone and if my 1520 lasts 24+ hours and the 950XL lasts 10 (even after I tried turning off background tasks, etc) .. the 950XL sucks in comparison. And also explain to me why the SCREEN ITSELF GETS WARM when in use??!?
are using the same version of the OS on the 1520? not a fair battery life comparison if not. the 810 SOC is likely what's getting warm underneath your screen. like all devices using it.

i will say that i would have been happier with 1080p screens myself (especially on the 950).

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The first week I had my 950 I was seriously considering returning it. I didn't have any significant issues but numerous little things kept bothering me. However, I got past those to find myself really enjoying the phone. I think it's worth sticking around to see Microsoft start addressing outstanding problems.

As for battery life, you guys really need to hold on for more than several days. I'd even suggest waiting at least a week. It took some time for my phone's battery to stabilize but every since the battery battery has been excellent. It's far better than my Lumia 920 ever was.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Same here. My 950 xl has been flawless.

No battery drain (even with windows hello turned on) and + 48 hours battery life.
No overheating.
No random reboots.

'It just works'.

Those of you with poor battery performance - Windows 10 does take a few days to 'settle' down after which you should see better battery life. Also the more live tiles you have on your screen, the worse your battery life will be. Thats about the only advice I can give on that topic.

would you mind listing what apps you have installed? i can get about a day out of my XL, nothing near to 2.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering returning my 950XL. Hovering around 35% likely at the moment. The fact is my 1520.3 running 586.11 is more stable and glitch free than my 950XL is.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I traded my Lumia Icon in for an iPhone 6sPlus on Verizon and hope that after the next year Microsoft and Verizon make nice and release the 950XL or variant with an updated Win10Mobile! I'm liking my iPhone more and more each day but still hope a great Windows Phone is available sooner than later on Verizon!

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Today I tried a test 6 days this device. I started ay 8:00 am. I short call. No video or gaming. Constant use for emails, text and reading news online. Display at 50% brightness. Hello is on. At 1:00, battery is down to 30% from 100% charging all night. That's 70% usage in 4 hours, with no heavy usage (but location is also on). I thought battery was acceptable after seeing huge improvement from i first this, but I guess it's all relative because this really is terrible efficiency.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
All these issues with the handsets makes me think they were doing a run of phones rushed and assembled by hand with poor process control to meet the release deadline...

Me Again1

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I returned my 950XL yesterday and switched back to L1520.
And feel very comfortable.
Had it for 4 days.
950XL unlocked, dual SIM.
Below is list of problems what I got:
1. Charging process warms phone up to very high temperature. Doesn't matter what type of charging- wired or wireless.
2. Notification can be assigned only to global configuration: one ringtone for all email accounts on the phone, one for phone ring.
3. Unique Microsoft future "read SMS aloud thru Bluetooth" is now integrated in Cortana. For Cortana to work, all WP services must be enabled (location, microphone,....etc) and it drains battery in few hours.
4. Microsoft implemented Bluetooth MAP protocol , but didn't give option to turn it off. It creates conflicts between car's SMS modules and Cortana. As a result, driver has to look at the dashboard screen to read SMS messages.
5. No way to restore backup from previous Lumia models. Only fresh install!
6. Speaker installed on the back side of the phone and if you caring phone in the belt holster, holster side covers speaker. And it is not loud by it self.
I'm not a game person. I'm not using camera very often, but camera quality is VERY HIGH!
All listed miscellanies things making my life with Windows phone 950XL very difficult and I decided to return phone and stack for now with my L1520 with W8.1.
I'll keep my eye on the L950XL improvement process and may be one day get this phone again.

:wink:

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you reach 100% likely, just send it my way. I will compensate you.
This goes to everybody who are planning on ditching their lumia 950xl.
If you no longer want it, send me a message and I will gladly take it off your hands.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't know. Everyday I owned it it would enter an endless reboot cycle if I put an app on the SD card. It also lacked some key features like visual voicemail I needed for work. I couldn't get emails to load pictures. I spent hours on customer support. Between these things and the app gap, which I've been increasingly aware of, it just kind of made me wake up. I realized I was only considering windows phone and putting up with to much for the price tag.

Did you ever solve your emails to load pictures? I just spent hours with customer support trying to resolve this issue as well.. and they didn't have a clue. They were sending around in circles from person to person. They tried having me uninstall Outlook... which is a bit hard to do on Windows 10 Mobile. So they gave me a link to a Win 7 Phone site.

Currently my Lumia Icon loads email images better than my brand new 950 xl.

950 xl:

Icon:

anon(669934)

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
If the phone isn't performing to your expectations, why would it matter what the dock does. The star of the movie is the phone, not the dock.

I'm confused.:sweaty:

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever solve your emails to load pictures? I just spent hours with customer support trying to resolve this issue as well.. and they didn't have a clue. They were sending around in circles from person to person. They tried having me uninstall Outlook... which is a bit hard to do on Windows 10 Mobile. So they gave me a link to a Win 7 Phone site.

Currently my Lumia Icon loads email images better than my brand new 950 xl.

950 xl:

[url]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/ben_schmidt1/169bff08-ce5e-4931-ba19-7e3c057d7215_zpskm0bw2dl.png[/URL]

Icon:

[url]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/ben_schmidt1/0e7a2778-7491-4a71-a2b5-2a1899158b05_zpsksyqi8yt.png[/URL]

gonna sound super odd, but hard reset your phone.... restore from backup. it will fix it. i didnt believe it until i did it

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm super happy with the phone but after reading this thread I'm wondering if I there is something wrong with me being happy with my purchase.
I was expecting better battery life, like 5% after 10 hoursout of the charger. I was getting between 10-12 hours from my Lumia 920 in 10586.11 before getting to critical and with the 950 XL I'm around 30-40 %after 10 hours.

Everything else have been working perfectly, messaging + skype doesn't kill my battery, the camera is much, much better than the one in my sister in law Icon and my mom's Lumia 1520. Better Wi-Fi range (I not sure about performance), it has been working perfectly as a cellphone (I have VM deactivated since several years ago, so I have no idea what is visual voicemail). No app crashes (other than Onedrive) or phone crashes. Windows Hello has been pretty accurate even with glasses.

I would like it to be twice as heavy and as sturdy as my Lumia 920 is but I think that I can live without that.

What I don’t like is USB-C; I don’t have cables to charge it and I don’t want to use the ones in the box. I will buy some sooner than later but I’m not willing to at this point. I have no SD card to comment about apps installed there but I should be able to test that next week.

Wireless charging has been working fine in the DT-900 but I had to put it horizontally in the DT-910 to align the coils and over a 1 cm spacer.I haven’t activated “hey Cortana” because I can’t use it without being annoying at work. Lumia offer app is not giving me the Dock promotion and I plan to check on that later.

So far, I’m happy with the phone even with the less than expected battery life. I’m dead serious about wanting the phone to spend 5 % in10 hours and I realize no smartphone is capable of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss