Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you on this one. People that are buying a device like this are the type that visit these forums, do their research and know what they are getting into. Information is so easily available and in abundance with the internet now that finding what this phone was all about, the state of Windows 10 for mobile is like and also the reviews that are coming, people can easily make a rational decision.

Hence, if you don't like the phone, return it within 30 days and buy something that to you, is better. Just do your research and if the 950/950 XL is your dream phone, you should be willing to wait.

There are no reviews of this phone when I bought it, just speculation. I did not have Windows 10 on my current phone. I assumed with a major release it might be a little more polished. Also, not everyone can wait...I actually need my phone for work... And I've been waiting for years. I'm not risking waiting for it to never happen and me to be stuck with a lies useful phone and out twice what the phone should be sold for.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
actually not making any money on it. selling it for retail. was going to return it but since its still on backorder and not shipping the next round until the 11th why not give someone else that wants it more than I do a shot at getting it before their order.

Ah, okay. In a weird way, that is kind of you to do.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
no phone is ever worth more than what you paid for it. unless its like limited edition with specs a year advance than everyone else. also if you upgrade every year then i say yes you are always paying too much for something you don't need.

I got the Lumia 1020 for ?130 it was worth it XD

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I might be returning mine. The battery even after 5 days and 8 complete kill / charge cycles... it just drains so fast. IN standby its fine, but once you fire up that screen, its all over. 20% + per hour drain.(Fun game - go into the battery saver screen and look what uses the most power. My screen uses 65% - 80% of total power, without fail) I have turned off everything not critical as a background task. Add to the fact that mobile hotspot no longer works (yes, I called AT&T, make sure the IMEI was right, and then went as far to go into their store. Nothing is wrong on their end). I get my display dock today, and if that doesn't bowl me over, it's going back to the store. Much like the OP I have been waiting a while for this, and the kicker is there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1520 it replaced. Nothing. Added fact: the 1520 got 24 - 32 hours of battery usage before it hit 15%. This one gets 10 hours....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Apparently disabling hey cortana saves lots of battery. I keep my location off and I close apps in task switcher that I know take up a lot of battery. For me that's the photos app. I do have a lot of photos so possibly why it does. But If I keep it out of the task switcher my battery runs well. Even if I play games and other things.

All the little quirks and issues are all software based. W10m seems to be wasteful in a lot of aspects. Take the Windows hello IR scan. It triggers every time you turn on the screen even if you don't have "require pin every time" set. So that there is a waste of battery. Small things like that. The fact that you have to have gps to enable things like quiet hours, waste of battery.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Edit your title...

Done.

So he can sell the display dock and make money. Doesn't surprise me.

I'm pretty sure there is little profiteering to be had on this device.

I am on the fence too.
Should be worth $200 more than I paid for it.
I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.
I was really hoping to be much more impressed, blown away.
But instead I am left wondering if I paid too much for something I didn't really need.
Hoping the dock performs as expected, and gives me the experience I was looking for.

Really? How is it "worth $200 more than I paid" at the same time you are "left wondering if I paid too much?"

FWIW, 1520 launched with WP 8 Update 3 + Lumia Cyan. It was a very mature iteration of the OS, not a refresh. Your experience is your experience, but comparing the state of the software on 1520 at release with the state of the software on 950 at release is disingenuous.

actually not making any money on it. selling it for retail. was going to return it but since its still on backorder and not shipping the next round until the 11th why not give someone else that wants it more than I do a shot at getting it before their order.

So you are getting rid of it before even having it in hand? It is a known phenomena that reading all the complaints about something is a skewed perspective. People are far more willing to grouse about a product over and over again than make one good comment. The seeming reality of a flood of complaints vs a trickle of compliments is actually the reverse of the true reality. For every 5 complaints, how many of them are the same poster coming round again? For every compliment there are probably 5 other users going on their way quite happily who never took time to post.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
some people just cant be pleased.... the phone is awesome. yes it has its quirks, and msft knows this.. they will update it soon. apparently you didnt "need this phone for work" and "waited years" for this phone, otherwise you would have known exactly what you were getting into...

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1. All things considered w10m on the 950 has exceeded my expectations given that it's a work in progress.
2. I'd be curious to know what's so drastically bad about the 950xl/w10 that you actually want to return your phone. Not being sarcastic, I'd honestly like to know.
3. The dock is available at the Microsoft store website for $99 with a 12/16 ship date. You can roll the dice and see if someone is so eager to try it that they can't wait two weeks for a brand new one but I doubt it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.

You must be new with Microsoft OS's....Every other release is a buggy mess and it's realease LONG before it's ready. This happens in WIndows as well as all of Microsoft's software. The new corporate logo is " Let's release it on a date and if it still has issues, we'll just fix it with updates later"

WIndows 10 there was a few known Minor bugs, voted on over 25,000 times and was up there for about 4-5 months before release.... It was in the RTM..... and it was not just one..

They do this with Video games as well, Go head buy ANY day one release on the xbox one....bring it home on disk, and there is at least 1 update, and normally it's a HUGE update...

I kind of miss old NES/SNES carts....They HAD to test fully before releasing, as a update would of been a re-call (sending carts back to Nintendo) and the cost would of been crazy.....As you can guess, not very many recalls and most NES games were pretty solid...

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll post my experience. My 950 XL has been a dream to use software wise. No issues, the speed has been amazing compared to win 10 on my 1520. The camera speed is superb, apps open instantly, no resuming, no loading screens, etc.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You must be new with Microsoft OS's....Every other release is a buggy mess and it's realease LONG before it's ready. This happens in WIndows as well as all of Microsoft's software. The new corporate logo is " Let's release it on a date and if it still has issues, we'll just fix it with updates later"

WIndows 10 there was a few known Minor bugs, voted on over 25,000 times and was up there for about 4-5 months before release.... It was in the RTM..... and it was not just one..

They do this with Video games as well, Go head buy ANY day one release on the xbox one....bring it home on disk, and there is at least 1 update, and normally it's a HUGE update...
this isn't just a microsoft issue, but an issue with most software developers now. just because a fix is that much easier to push out doesn't mean the product should be pushed out before it's done. I know every OS has this issue, and it's happening more and more across the board.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been using my 950 xl since thanksgiving day and so far I'm loving it, no issues and it is a keeper for me for a long time.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
1. All things considered w10m on the 950 has exceeded my expectations given that it's a work in progress.
2. I'd be curious to know what's so drastically bad about the 950xl/w10 that you actually want to return your phone. Not being sarcastic, I'd honestly like to know.
3. The dock is available at the Microsoft store website for $99 with a 12/16 ship date. You can roll the dice and see if someone is so eager to try it that they can't wait two weeks for a brand new one but I doubt it.

1. thats good that youre having a better experience than I am.
2. Its the battery primarily. It drains much quicker than it should for being so large and this phone is not that significant of a step up from my 1520 that works perfectly fine. I dont mind wp10 being in development still since I enjoy finding bugs and reporting them but when you cant use your phone from when getting up in the morning until coming home from work with minimal to moderate usage thats a problem.
3. yea we will see. if no one bites then returning it to the msoft store. no harm no foul.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
some people just cant be pleased.... the phone is awesome. yes it has its quirks, and msft knows this.. they will update it soon. apparently you didnt "need this phone for work" and "waited years" for this phone, otherwise you would have known exactly what you were getting into...

You read poorly. I waited years to replace my 1520 AND I need my phone for work. Neither are exclusive. I was excited about this phone but it is a disappointment.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I disagree. My 1520 has been nothing but satisfying since purchasing it. I shouldnt have to justify a performance hit for a new OS that I didnt want/need but microsoft is shoving down everyones throats. Ive been with the developer preview program since they first allowed it on my 1520 and its come leaps and bounds from where it was so much so that I didnt downgrade back to 8.1 for the most recent build like I have done previously.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
So you are getting rid of it before even having it in hand?

No currently have had it on hand since the 25th.

It is a known phenomena that reading all the complaints about something is a skewed perspective. People are far more willing to grouse about a product over and over again than make one good comment. The seeming reality of a flood of complaints vs a trickle of compliments is actually the reverse of the true reality. For every 5 complaints, how many of them are the same poster coming round again? For every compliment there are probably 5 other users going on their way quite happily who never took time to post

I am aware of this especially with my xps 15 9550. The people that post supposed problems I have never encountered but that did not prohibit me from buying the product. When receiving my 950xl there simply werent any reviews to go off of and using it in store about a month ago gave a good impression of it to me. I wanted to like it but just cant find the pros outweighing the cons.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. My 1520 has been nothing but satisfying since purchasing it. I shouldnt have to justify a performance hit for a new OS that I didnt want/need but microsoft is shoving down everyones throats. Ive been with the developer preview program since they first allowed it on my 1520 and its come leaps and bounds from where it was so much so that I didnt downgrade back to 8.1 for the most recent build like I have done previously.

I am in the same boat, the 1520 was my favorite phone since I got it (more memorable than the note 3,4,5 that I bought along side it). The 950xl is no where near as satisfying or smooth of an experience.

The 1520 lasted for damn near ever on its battery, i'll blame this **** job QC did on the 810. Almost no phones this year have good battery life using that chip.

I am factory resetting one more time to see if things improve. Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.

glenada

Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
What about doing a hard reset? People have been saying that this works well when you're having problems with a new phone.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Its like Android is taboo on this forum. OP do us all a favor and get an Android phone XD
Will get the best of Microsoft's services, and regular updates. I've received two OTA updates to my OPX in two weeks, something Microsoft does not seem capable of doing...

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat, the 1520 was my favorite phone since I got it (more memorable than the note 3,4,5 that I bought along side it). The 950xl is no where near as satisfying or smooth of an experience.

The 1520 lasted for damn near ever on its battery, i'll blame this **** job QC did on the 810. Almost no phones this year have good battery life using that chip.

I am factory resetting one more time to see if things improve. Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.

Onedrive consistently failed to upload the photos I took to onedrive which I noticed also on my 1520. Not sure if there is a background task problem or what but it is annoying to not have that feature work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo