Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
What about doing a hard reset? People have been saying that this works well when you're having problems with a new phone.

Tried that 3 times. No change. I wish they managed the app and OS restore better like iOS does with the image backups. Having to redownload every single app gets tedious when you have 100+ apps

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Its like Android is taboo on this forum. OP do us all a favor and get an Android phone XD
Will get the best of Microsoft's services, and regular updates. I've received two OTA updates to my OPX in two weeks, something Microsoft does not seem capable of doing...

Have nothing against android, started my android user experience with the original HTC Hero gsm and loved it. Solid phone but the OS was still at its infant state at that point. Have used notes and nexus phones since then when have been impressive. Almost bought the 6p actually until they said no Qi charging which I have too many accessories to not have a device that supports it. My biggest gripe of android is security lol. It seems like every week I read an article of why android is the least secure between iOS and WP.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeap very annoying. It is actually a deal breaker for me. I've got 9 years worth of photos on my onedrive (moved from dropbox and google drive), not moving to another provider to get reliable service, i'll move to another phone again.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I disagree. My 1520 has been nothing but satisfying since purchasing it. I shouldnt have to justify a performance hit for a new OS that I didnt want/need but microsoft is shoving down everyones throats. Ive been with the developer preview program since they first allowed it on my 1520 and its come leaps and bounds from where it was so much so that I didnt downgrade back to 8.1 for the most recent build like I have done previously.

so i dont understand... its running the same build as on the 1520.. but this phone is way nicer in terms of hardware. besides, what is stopping you from doing your work on this phone? not being a ****, trying to help.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
so i dont understand... its running the same build as on the 1520.. but this phone is way nicer in terms of hardware. besides, what is stopping you from doing your work on this phone? not being a ****, trying to help

The specs arent in question. If we were basing it solely on specs I would be crazy to not use the 950xl. But then put on the OS and it becomes a power grab for the battery as the 950xls display and messaging app just hogs the entire battery to crippling levels within half a day. On standby I was even getting terrible performance and I never saw the battery drain below 10% per hour. If it got 24 hours or even 18 hours Id be content but its not anywhere near that. Couple that with the now less convenient usb c cable and its just unfortunate.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
The specs arent in question. If we were basing it solely on specs I would be crazy to not use the 950xl. But then put on the OS and it becomes a power grab for the battery as the 950xls display and messaging app just hogs the entire battery to crippling levels within half a day. On standby I was even getting terrible performance and I never saw the battery drain below 10% per hour. If it got 24 hours or even 18 hours Id be content but its not anywhere near that. Couple that with the now less convenient usb c cable and its just unfortunate.

usb c is more convenient imo.. and yah battery so far is all over the place. sometimes it drains quick, sometimes is superb. i had mine on standby for 4 hours and 1% was used. other times it drains. theres a software leech somewhere. just wait. all these will be fixed

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950xl on Wednesday(the 25th) played with it for a couple days then boxed it up and it's currently sitting on my desk waiting to be shipped out today. Then, sadly went out and bought a Note 5. Yeah, I know, first world problems.

There was nothing wrong with phone. It's a very nice phone but I decided it's basically the same as my 930 just bigger and unfortunately my 930 isn't meeting my needs anymore. I hope to come back to WM someday

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
usb c is more convenient imo.. and yah battery so far is all over the place. sometimes it drains quick, sometimes is superb. i had mine on standby for 4 hours and 1% was used. other times it drains. theres a software leech somewhere. just wait. all these will be fixed

I agree with you. USB C is a heck of a lot better than conventional mini or micro usb because of functionality but I wish more companies would jump on the band wagon. In due time Im sure they will but like I went to bestbuy and the only USB c adapter was the $90 apple one for the macbook. Yea I hope so for microsofts sake.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you. USB C is a heck of a lot better than conventional mini or micro usb because of functionality but I wish more companies would jump on the band wagon. In due time Im sure they will but like I went to bestbuy and the only USB c adapter was the $90 apple one for the macbook. Yea I hope so for microsofts sake.

i honestly wouldnt worry. usb c will be the new standard. its reversible and faster than micro usb. also less prone to breaking. msft is just the first to use it in a phone. some other devices are already using it too.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Onedrive failed to back up 3 burst capture sessions of photos overnight - never had a single issue with photo uploads on my 1520 or any android phone.
OneDrive uploads in W10M are somewhat sketchy. While I've never had one fail completely, they often seem to require a nudge - like it doesn't do it until I actually go in and look at the download queue. In WP8.1 it was completely "set and forget", I never had to manage it at all. I hope they fix that problem.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive uploads in W10M are somewhat sketchy. While I've never had one fail completely, they often seem to require a nudge - like it doesn't do it until I actually go in and look at the download queue. In WP8.1 it was completely "set and forget", I never had to manage it at all. I hope they fix that problem.

Yea I thought it was a photos app problem you know when the refresh seemingly spins forever and thats what it meant but kept it open until it stopped and that didn't do anything. Then thought onedrive might need to be open so tried that and every upload just error ed out. So then tried selecting them manually and uploading to onedrive that way and it error ed out again and then I tried retrying the onedrive uploads and that didnt do anything either just made more errors... very frustrating lol

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950xl on Wednesday(the 25th) played with it for a couple days then boxed it up and it's currently sitting on my desk waiting to be shipped out today. Then, sadly went out and bought a Note 5. Yeah, I know, first world problems.

There was nothing wrong with phone. It's a very nice phone but I decided it's basically the same as my 930 just bigger and unfortunately my 930 isn't meeting my needs anymore. I hope to come back to WM someday

Well said. I did the same. Not worth putting up with problems that detract from the biggest problem...apps.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
i honestly wouldnt worry. usb c will be the new standard. its reversible and faster than micro usb. also less prone to breaking. msft is just the first to use it in a phone. some other devices are already using it too.

Not the first to use it in a phone. Google beat them to it.

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a 1520 with WP8.1 to a 950XL. My battery life on the 950XL is maybe 25-50% worse. It's hard to say at this point because I'm using the 950XL more than usual. My screen is set to 25% brightness and uses about 65% of the battery. Messaging + Skype uses only 1.5% of the battery. I send and receive maybe half a dozen texts a day and none with Skype. There must be a bug with the messaging app that's killing your battery. You could wait until a week before the return deadline to see if there is an update for that app that fixes your problem.

I must admit that while I'm liking WM10 a lot more than I expected, it's hard to get excited about the hardware. The 1520 had more style and it was very solid. I had to add some padding inside my 950XL to keep the back cover from creaking. That's pathetic. I will keep it though because it does have a gorgeous display and more manageable dimensions.

SpinelessWonder

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
With the glitchiness of W10Mobile on my 925, I was hoping that this could be attributed to it being optimized for the 950 phones. Sadly it wasn't. It's just as glitchy there as well, and in some cases even more so. I knew I was buying it at the leading edge of the cycle, but I was honestly expecting more wow factor than just being able to use Windows Hello. I'm not interested in a device that I hope will live up to it's expectations.

Frankly, I don't think that it is a hardware issue. I think the issues are just about all in the OS.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
People need to stop defending MS. I'm a windows phone ****** but releasing 2 flagship phones with a OS that is no where near to be finished is wrong. Really the truth is they missed their deadline and had to make things work. The hardware on the 950 and 950xl are outstanding but thanks to Gabriel Aul and the windows mobile team handling the software nobody will know this. (yeah I said it) #truth hurts

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
People need to stop defending MS. I'm a windows phone ****** but releasing 2 flagship phones with a OS that is no where near to be finished is wrong. Really the truth is they missed their deadline and had to make things work. The hardware on the 950 and 950xl are outstanding but thanks to Gabriel Aul and the windows mobile team handling the software nobody will know this. (yeah I said it) #truth hurts

I really don't think you can sell a phone that is ready for beta testing with this price tag. It has made me realize I need to consider more of my options, I've been way too narrow in scope because I was a fan boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12