Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm having pronoun confusion.

They DID let you return the phone, right?

And if not, what reason did they give?

Lol, I agree with your questions since that is the way he worded it.

Too bad he sounds really depressed selling the display dock online for some extra cash. What a depressing life.

Last edited:

Fuzzymemo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I had a 920 for 2+years, then briefly a 635 and 640, then had a temp 640XL for 4 months, now I have the 950XL. I feel the OS is the main issue here. The phone gets hot while charging, similar to my 920. My 640XL was amazing and for so cheap, the battery lasted me about 2 days of standard use. Now, the 950XL is averaging 11hr of standard use, not sure if it can improve a bit more or not but for now I guess it's okay. Getting back to that charge anxiety.

Steve Kadlec

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
" I had to add some padding inside my 950XL to keep the back cover from creaking. That's pathetic."

I assume you are talking about the bottom end of the phone. Mine does the same. Some one told me that it is possible the cover was "warped" when it was removed. I laughed a bit on that one.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your input, and please if it is needed re-read my comments here and other topics... the battery is atrocious, case closed, the end. I actually use my phone and if my 1520 lasts 24+ hours and the 950XL lasts 10 (even after I tried turning off background tasks, etc) .. the 950XL sucks in comparison.

I'm not arguing that the battery life is good. I'm simply saying that the display hardware is not the issue. I know I've experienced battery issues with 10 as well, when I put my 640 on preview, I saw battery life take a small hit. And if I leave Cortana running in multitasking, the phone will burn through large parts of my battery while in standby. I always close Cortana now and it's not an issue for me.

I would guess the "Liquid Cooling" runs under the screen, some of the heat will be dissipated into the display. I've had other devices that the screen will get warm under use, but my 640 doesn't have that issue.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
...They should have emulated the desktop launch as that was well done.

The desktop launch had a large number of bugs when it launched. These are documented all over the web, including this site. And the desktop OS had the benefit of a larger test base, and they based much of the OS off of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 where they had 14 years of code base to draw on. On the other hand, the mobile OS is a nearly 100% re-write, with fewer testers, and I would bet fewer developers.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The desktop launch had a large number of bugs when it launched. These are documented all over the web, including this site. And the desktop OS had the benefit of a larger test base, and they based much of the OS off of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 where they had 14 years of code base to draw on. On the other hand, the mobile OS is a nearly 100% re-write, with fewer testers, and I would bet fewer developers.

First of all, the desktop had some quirks, but nothing that caused it not to function or to disable using regular features. Second of all, having a reason for a bad OS is no better than having no reason for a bad OS. It's like saying, look the software has some real problems, but MS really didn't put very much effort into it, and there was a lot of work to do.

TheGreatReaper

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been reading about it being buggy but I honestly haven't had any issues. My battery drained quickly the first day, but since then no issues. I was running fast ring on my 1520 and had no issue on it either. Maybe I was just lucky to have gotten 2 great phones or maybe people are just being to picky.

KaiserMcG

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
The problem (IMO) is that aside from the software issues and battery life problems being described here, Windows (Phone) is somewhat a victim of its own successes.

Sure it's great that it runs well/acceptably on low-end devices but this is a two-edged sword in that there's not really much of a differentiator on higher-end hardware beyond higher specs and maybe better cameras (if that's your thing), but unlike Android where a new phone generally brings a new OS and set of features, what difference is there REALLY between a 950/XL and a 1520 or 930?

And therein lies the problem.. there's no real reason to upgrade beyond wanting the "latest and greatest". Even Continuum will be limited by not running x86 apps - it's effectively a Surface RT phone when the one to get will be the rumored Intel core phone that will be the "full version"

Making excuses for the limitations of the 950/Win 10 in its current state won't change that.. it's v1.0 of a new direction and like most initial releases you need to wait to v2 for them to get it right :)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Due to the problems that have not been fixed when going from 1520 to the 950xl I plan on selling it or returning it back to microsoft. Anyone else considering doing the same or am I just being too nitpicky with an OS that should have been completed by now.

How much you wanna sell for? LOL

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been reading about it being buggy but I honestly haven't had any issues. My battery drained quickly the first day, but since then no issues. I was running fast ring on my 1520 and had no issue on it either. Maybe I was just lucky to have gotten 2 great phones or maybe people are just being to picky.

I don't know. Everyday I owned it it would enter an endless reboot cycle if I put an app on the SD card. It also lacked some key features like visual voicemail I needed for work. I couldn't get emails to load pictures. I spent hours on customer support. Between these things and the app gap, which I've been increasingly aware of, it just kind of made me wake up. I realized I was only considering windows phone and putting up with to much for the price tag.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having pronoun confusion.

They DID let you return the phone, right?

And if not, what reason did they give?

They wouldn't let me cancel the display dock. They let me return the phone. Interestingly I wrote a review of the phone saying I had problems with it that had to be returned and even gave the phone 3 stars, but they wouldn't post it... Censorship.

I returned it so quickly because the return policy says they won't take returns on scratches screens. At the time I was thinking of order or again in January and switch carriers. Now on thinking of switching phones too.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I agree with your questions since that is the way he worded it.

Too bad he sounds really depressed selling the display dock online for some extra cash. What a depressing life.

I don't need the extra cash. If it makes you feel better I will put it in the trash. I spent even more time on customer support trying to prevent them from sending it to me.

fhm

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Upgraded from a Galaxy S4 and I mean upgraded. Love the 950XL and seeing the end of all the annoying Android idiosyncrasies. Sure there are lots of uselss apps if your phone is a toy, but for business, this new phone is fantastic.

Fuzzymemo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I don't need the extra cash. If it makes you feel better I will put it in the trash. I spent even more time on customer support trying to prevent them from sending it to me.

Hey bro, don't be wasteful. Send it my way :love: - 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It's true it is not done. Everyone who participated in the Insider program knows that. Having a 950 myself now I can confirm it's no better with new hardware, except its faster. But I think you are being to nitpicky. Nothing here can't be fixed in another month or two. Even with Microsofts pace, I expect a new build in early '16. I'm not returning the phone. I got it on an AT&T Next 12 plan. By this time next fall I'll replace it with either the new "Surface" phone, or, if it's still a trainwreck, go back to an iPhone at that time. That's what I would advise you to do if you can't get a full refund.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the 1520.3 and have been using wp10 on it since it was allowed on the 1520. I knew what I was getting into but the exact same problems that I had on my 1520 were also present on the 950xl while not present on a 635 I have as a test phone. Case and point, an OS shouldnt so pitifully efficient that I cant get more than 10 hours of battery life from a 3300mah battery.

I unplugged my XL this morning at 4 am. It's now 2pm. I'm sure we have different use cases, but I would like to point out that the power required to run a screen of that size will eat through the battery like candy. So, depending on how you use it, I can easily see 10 hours of battery life being an issue. But I'd have to say in this scenario, it's not the OS's fault. It's definitely the screen.

Edit: Did some research on the 1520. Many reviews were giving it around a 10 hour life of regular use. I'm wondering if you're even using your 950 XL and 1520 the same way.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm at 50% battery life after 10 hours. Again, its probably 'low' usage since I've been at work most of the time. But the display is the big eater. That's going to happen on any phone. You can't just say, "oooh, big battery should have more life." no, the big battery is there so that you can still have the same battery life on that giant screen as you can on a smaller phone.

Last edited:

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time Lumia/Windows Phone user and currently have a Lumia 1520. This is not the only thread I've read about issues with the 950XL, so I think I am going to hold out on an upgrade. I don't really want to jump ship, but if the phone is no better by the spring of 2016 I will probably do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos