Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am on the fence too.
Should be worth $200 more than I paid for it.
I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.
I was really hoping to be much more impressed, blown away.
But instead I am left wondering if I paid too much for something I didn't really need.
Hoping the dock performs as expected, and gives me the experience I was looking for.

I have a 1520 and the 950Xl runs far superior to that device.

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
You bought the wrong phone, plain and simple. Its like people of first model year vehicles... though Windows 10 runs (mostly) great on a 830 so id expect at least as much from 950/xl. I use mine for work all of the time. If there was ever any doubt you should have opted for a more established product. This is a no brainer, people.

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Experience is clearly specific to each person. I had several 1520s and they overheated, had mic issues, failed to charge properly, and most certainly never endured a full day without a charge when they did charge.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure a new update will be coming very soon for the 950's also.

I hope so... I truly want the ecosystem to work and flourish because I've been with it so long but I will not just commit to something blindly just because it does not wear the Apple or Android badges.
Experience is clearly specific to each person. I had several 1520s and they overheated, had mic issues, failed to charge properly, and most certainly never endured a full day without a charge when they did charge

Maybe the att 1520s are worse than the 1520.3? I have never encountered those problems with mine

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
sell it to me before trashing it my fried **edit didn't quote user sorry guys* But my wife's 950 is suffering from battery drain and I am disabling alot of kids apps. Changing her email from checking hourly to learning her habits. I like the hardware but her battery life is so much different from mine and I get atleast 200+ emails a day from my work (Senior IT Admin) and I get alot of alerts. Plus I have 3 of my personal emails going and I get roughly a day on my 1520 fast ring. She loves the continium but is really getting irritated with the battery life, I told her I won't support another phone because I support too many platforms at work. I really hope this issue for you guys gets resolved I am on the fence about an 950xl because I think I want a Green Egg at the moment.... But loving the W10 honestly especially the new messaging app that I have an my wife doesn't...

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Lots of fickle people in this world. I can't imagine anybody actually buying a 950XL without already knowing what to expect, with a not-yet-ready OS in addition to the normal bugs and glitches to be expected with a new high-end device. The only way anybody even knew it existed was from reading about it on sites like this one. It's not as if any site hid the issues with the OS. And then being so impatient as to get rid of it less than a week later because the experience is less than perfect. I just don't get it.

I'm not surprised at all. Many on this board took the "Wait and see" approach. No matter what was said about the later OS builds, there was always the possibility that the released product would be different. Well it wasn't, and many of those buyers are now remorseful. Naive and/or overly optimistic, but not fickle.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
remember when the clam shell phones lasted weeks on a charge....aaaahhhh, those were the days.

I have been on my 640 ask day with moderate use (phone, internet, messaging). After 18 hours. I have 35% left. That is what a phone is supposed to do.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You bought the wrong phone, plain and simple. Its like people of first model year vehicles... though Windows 10 runs (mostly) great on a 830 so id expect at least as much from 950/xl. I use mine for work all of the time. If there was ever any doubt you should have opted for a more established product. This is a no brainer, people.

Isn't the 950 like the 5th or so iteration? Isn't WM10 the at least 5th iteration? The point is Microsoft should build on the past and release stable products. This kind of frustration, even if it is a bad single phone or bad setup is to complicated too fix. Stuff just needs to work. It is weird how obsessed windows phone users are with waiting. Hang on though, the surface phone is right around the corner and will solve everything! The phone will be so sexy, stable, and it will finally have all of the apps and more! I heard it will levitate when you drop it, no more cracked screen. And the case will be made out of your choice of palladium, platinum, our 24k gold. Here's hoping 2017 will be better!

J Dwayne Hallman

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Nope, just got mine yesterday. Case build reminds me of the Nexus phones, thin and well balanced - runs a little warm. Processor, fast -- so fast! (coming from 640xl) Chrome ring around the camera is classy. 'Hello' needs a bit more work, but it logs me in correctly most times. It just needs to go away when logins are not required. Continuum works well with MS wireless adaptor (waiting for dock to arrive) and I look forward to continuing on the insider program with future Win 10 builds. 20MPix camera is fast and takes great shots (beats the old 1020). Over all, I love this phone! I will keep playing with this device.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, for now I've popped my SIM back into the Lumia 1520. I like the 950XL a lot, but a couple of things are a problem:

- callers say the sound has issues (they hear an echo and it sounds like I'm on a speaker phone) Edit: seems related to Hey Cortana.
- the phone comes off the Qi charger (DT-900) quite hot, which means battery degradation in the long run. Same thing 3 nights in a row
- bluetooth issues in car (refusing to connect / connect-disconnect constantly; toggle phone BT on/off fixes it)
- visual voicemail is not supported on dual SIM phones, with no official word on whether this will change
- MS now only allows one return on MS Complete, and the deductible is now $99, both suddenly as of Dec 27

I have several other niggles (no double tap to wake is the biggest one), but most are software and expected to be fixed pretty soon. The others seems like hardware or firmware issues (and one PR screwup), and I'm less confident that they'll be fixed before the end of the return period. So for now my 950XL is back in the box, and I'll be keeping it safe so I can return it if things don't improve. Disappointing, but hey, I knew the risk.

Edit: I returned it, might buy again if they fix these five. I asked them to cancel the free dock, but they say 'keep it'. I guess I'll keep it around for later.

Last edited:

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that after almost a week of using my 950XL there are parts i love and there are parts I'm very disappointed with.

Bearing in mind i have both the unlocked dual sim 950 and the 950 XL on my desk.

Pros
Battery life for me has been good and most days. (unplug at 7:30 am plug back in at 11 pm) i have around 25-35% Battery.

I really really want to like my 950XL. I will not accept as some have posted that "well its windows so its bound to be flaky in the beginning" Microsoft NEED this phone to be a win. We as a user base have to expect better and Microsoft have to understand this. and being this late into the game they have to do better than this to be a contender beyond the fan base. Continuum looks impressive but I'm not 100% sure that I will still have the phone by the time my box arrives.

I can ignore the creaking. I can ignore the glitchy and unfinished maps. I can ignore a lot of quirks but outlook integration being half baked is a black mark indeed. An os with this powerhouse of a processor developing sluggish keyboard responses after less than 7 days use is unacceptable. I do not have any games installed. i have removed a good chunk of the pre installed apps because i simply wont use them.

The handset is intended for work and for the most part it checks all the boxes but when i have to fire up a laptop to search my calendar because my brand new windows phone (that has access to my entire history and is visible) cannot perform a simple search within itself is a massive deal breaker. Especially when the microsoft app that's runs on IOS AND Android can do it so much better.

I keep thinking if things will get better. its early days, but part of me feels this phone is still very much beta and not worth the price i paid.

That battery life is a pro? That's on par with my now retired nexus 4, with a worn battery, the 640 that replaced it is at 69% from 10am-11pm. Hope that is hardware related and not OS or I will not be partaking in win10 if and when it becomes available.

Not sure what MS is doing with windows 10, but both the desktop and phone OS seem to be a work in progress.
I'm sure some people are experiencing genuine issues with their phones and for that I understand.

On the other hand there are a lot of people returning their phones claiming troubles/issues for things that are not really true issues.
Its sad to see how many people have no problem solving troubleshooting capabilities whatsoever.
Like blind sheep they just mash buttons and if things dont work perfect they dont understand what is going on.
This is what Apple is for, those blind sheep. I understand more and more why Apple is so successful. Personally I think using an iPhone is like using a phone with your hands tied.
For the simple minded I'm sure an iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread.

After figuring out Window Hello and Hey Cortana were murdering my battery I can now get 18-20 hours out of a charge (and that is with more than moderate use).
Phone is lighting fast and the screen is beautiful.

Mine wont be going back.
Wow, those apple comments, please tell me that ironic humor or sarcasm. Yes, because having to troubleshoot your phone is what we all wish to do, god forbid it just works. If you really wanted to tinker you'd get a nexus or developer android device not WP.

No phone or OS is perfect, but it seems pretty clear 950 users are being used as beta testers which would be fine if MS marketed the phone as a developer device, but it isn't. My 640 has been pretty damn good so far, but hey you keep enjoying the device/OS that works against you.
I guess your next shot is mid-2016 and the Surface Phone. Bloggers have said that the 950 was a place holder for the Surface Phone. Microsoft NEEDED to put out a high-end Windows phone to keep folks interested while the iOS/Android juggernaut chugs along. The death (for all intents and purposes) of BlackBerry handed Microsoft the coveted Third Ecosystem title but they have to hold onto it. Mid-range to low-end Lumia models are not going to do that, and there is no money in the low end anyway. To all those WP apologists, saying it's a work in progress, ARE YOU KIDDING??!! Microsoft is not new to mobile operating systems.

Nobody should have to charge his phone during the day. Unacceptable in 2015, unless you're constantly streaming content. iPhones and Android phones last all day on a charge. Microsoft can do better.

Turning off features to make the battery last is also unacceptable. Especially on a "flagship" model. Lots of folks are convincing themselves that they don't "need" Cortana so they're ok disabling it in the name of getting through a day of normal use. Dumbing down a smartphone means you no longer have a smartphone. That's just sad.

So wait...I thought wp10 was working towards a unified windows ecosystem, now it seems like that is not the case and the "surface phone" is actually going to do that? Christ, MS loves to develop software/products only to make them obsolete or abandoned within a year.

Last edited:

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
That battery life is a pro? That's on par with my now retired nexus 4, with a worn battery, the 640 that replaced it is at 69% from 10am-11pm. Hope that is hardware related and not OS or I will not be partaking in win10 if and when it becomes available.

Not sure what MS is doing with windows 10, but both the desktop and phone OS seem to be a work in progress.

Wow, those apple comments, please tell me that ironic humor or sarcasm. Yes, because having to troubleshoot your phone is what we all wish to do, god forbid it just works. If you really wanted to tinker you'd get a nexus or developer android device not WP.

No phone or OS is perfect, but it seems pretty clear 950 users are being used as beta testers which would be fine if MS marketed the phone as a developer device, but it isn't. My 640 has been pretty damn good so far, but hey you keep enjoying the device/OS that works against you.

Im with you on the apple comments, I've rooted/unlocked bootloaders/flash almost every android phone I've had (save for the Note 5). There is zero reason why this phone should have issues like these out of the box. They will never gain a user base if that is the case.

Cortana and hello are suppose to be apart of their differentiating features and to have to turn them off to get an ok battery life is not acceptable. There is no reason why this phone should not get similar results to an android competitor (attached my DD ATT note 5, fully stock with emails syncing, onedrive photos backing up, etc etc. Did not start the day above 90% either)

Screenshot_2015-12-01-20-22-06.jpgScreenshot_2015-12-01-20-22-10.jpg

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Have nothing against android, started my android user experience with the original HTC Hero gsm and loved it. Solid phone but the OS was still at its infant state at that point. Have used notes and nexus phones since then when have been impressive. Almost bought the 6p actually until they said no Qi charging which I have too many accessories to not have a device that supports it. My biggest gripe of android is security lol. It seems like every week I read an article of why android is the least secure between iOS and WP.

Not you, it just seems the atmosphere in general ;)
Android is inherently insecure, but as a whole I do not think security should be a concern. I would rate iOS less secure than Android, considering that I have seen people installing apps from unknown sources through their safari browser :unhappysweat:

tl;dr. Saw the article about a new upcoming WP flagship, could do some more waiting(tm)

FWIW I moved on, and I have seen 2 updates to outlook last week. Can't say I have seen the same on W10M preview :eck:

Last edited:

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Not you, it just seems the atmosphere in general ;)
Android is inherently insecure, but as a whole I do not think security should be a concern. I would rate iOS less secure than Android, considering that I have seen people installing apps from unknown sources through their safari browser :unhappysweat:

tl;dr. Saw the article about a new upcoming WP flagship, could do some more waiting(tm)

FWIW I moved on, and I have seen 2 updates to outlook last week. Can't say I have seen the same on W10M preview :eck:

Yea I am getting tired of this waiting game... when I heard about the mclaren that never was I was like OMG where do I buy it. And then they canned it.... and was like oh well... now this Surface phone thats supposed to be here in a year. It will probably be good but no one knows. I guess security is is up to the user but Im not dumb enough to install from safari but my concerns from what I have read are at the base level which cant be resolved. Maybe it can all be encrypted so it does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea