Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll post my experience. My 950 XL has been a dream to use software wise. No issues, the speed has been amazing compared to win 10 on my 1520. The camera speed is superb, apps open instantly, no resuming, no loading screens, etc.

These comments don't mean anything if you don't state specifically how long you've been using it? My phone was also dream to use the first few hours of having it.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not arguing that the battery life is good. I'm simply saying that the display hardware is not the issue. I know I've experienced battery issues with 10 as well, when I put my 640 on preview, I saw battery life take a small hit. And if I leave Cortana running in multitasking, the phone will burn through large parts of my battery while in standby. I always close Cortana now and it's not an issue for me.

I would guess the "Liquid Cooling" runs under the screen, some of the heat will be dissipated into the display. I've had other devices that the screen will get warm under use, but my 640 doesn't have that issue.

It doesn't matter at all whether you close any tab in the task switcher or not. These are just images with nothing actually running in the background. Having 8 tabs open or none at all doesn't have the slightest impact on battery life.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter at all whether you close any tab in the task switcher or not. These are just images with nothing actually running in the background. Having 8 tabs open or none at all doesn't have the slightest impact on battery life.
That was in 8, 8.1. Now apps can run in background.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That was in 8, 8.1. Now apps can run in background.

Source? From my observations throughout numerous Insider builds and not having seen any official or at least half official statement saying they changed background behaviour, I highly doubt this. And the fact that there's still no instant resuming, especially noticeable on lower end hardware, kinda proves that there's no change at all.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I would retort, you can't possibly have the 950xl and not complain.

I can complain about every device I have ever picked up, but I look at this device as the best of what we have right now. In my home I have 2 920s, an 820, 520, 930, 1520 and my family owns 830s and a 928 and an icon. Every single one of them has something about it I don't like. Does it have some issues, sure. Most of the issues I have with it are software related (hello, tap to wake, dual sim ect.). Windows 10 has many other issues that aren't related to the phone specific stuff.

I'm torn over the removable back. I think I prefer the flexibility it brings even though it does sacrifice overall build quality slightly.

I will say the build that shipped with this phone still isn't that great.

tweet2nowhere

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Reminds me of my L925 'upgrade' from a L920. I changed to T-Mobile, and I couldn't get a 2G or 3G signal, I forget. So I bought a T-Mobile branded phone. It felt like a downgrade really. GPS took too long to find my position, compass always wanted to be calibrated and pointed in the exact opposite direction. resuming was a little longer, overall just a bit slower feeling. In hindsight, I should have returned the phone for a different one. I think it was just bad hardware. Now I have w10 running on the L925 and my L640 AND L635 are about twice as fast in response time and overall usage. Web browsing is soooo slow on my L925 compared to my other devices.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
6P sealed battery, no micro sd storage, inferior camera.

Big negatives for me.

I understand, but I've never changed my phones battery if it can last a day on a charge, if the storage on the phone is the same as phone plus SD card it doesn't matter to me (I never swap them I put a 32 GB one in my 1520 and only took it out when it broke), and my camera just needs to be good enough to have memories and on paper it looks better, but it practice it is a little better (I'm not publishing to NatGeo).

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My $0.015 is that overall it's an almost great phone plagued by Windows 10.

1) Build-wise, it's not nearly as solid as other Lumias (even the 640 is a much more solid feeling device) hence I get creaking every time I pick it up, which constantly reminds me that it feels cheap; and this is the first phone I've ever considered getting a case for because I just don't think this thing has any chance of surviving even the most minor of drops, where's I once dropped an Icon down an escalator, watched it bounce step by step and land on a concrete floor, aside from some corner dings, I picked it up, popped the screen back because it separated from the body a little, and I was good to go
2) Every other bit of the hardware is pretty excellent, although I do have a red cast on the bottom half of the screen, likely fixable with a replacement device under warranty (I've had this problem on previous Lumias as well)
3) Windows 10 is still a mess, just about every time I pick up the phone to do something I end up reporting a problem through Feedback

Here are the things I've reported (that I remember)
-- Hello just sucks and I've stopped using it because it is so inconsistent: oftentimes doesn't even appear on the lock screen forcing a phone reboot; it tends to attempt logins while my phone is charging and in sleep mode, disabling Hello and forcing PIN usage anyway; it tends to immediately fail the login even before I've had a chance to put the phone in front of my face; if you press the power button too many times, too quickly, Hello will either shutdown completely or lock itself, even if you don't even look at the phone; if it does work, it can take 3+ seconds for the whole process to work, sometimes it won't even recognize me in a well lit room with the phone perfectly in front of my eyes; you have to hold the phone about 9 inches from your eyes for it to work typically, when it rarely works
-- Notifications take two swipe downs after moving off the start screen because the first swipe isn't recognized
-- Background shading doesn't work if you open an app from the All Apps list and then go back to the All Apps list from that app
-- Outlook won't download a single picture from any source, not even Microsoft sites, throwing the error that the linked photo doesn't exist
-- Trying to use the dial pad while on a call is an exercise in insanity because the screen won't stay lit and you can't see the damned thing
-- Brightness setting doesn't save and is reset after a phone restart
-- Brightness isn't adjusted properly for lighting conditions, whereas with Windows 8.1 it was perfect
-- The design inconsistencies throughout the OS are just too numerous to list, but a few of the most obvious are the highly inconsistent use of the hamburger menu, the ellipse, and list/picker design
-- Sometimes pulling down the notifications center locks the device and it has to be rebooted
-- The left swipe on the start screen is too sensitive and sometimes tapping a tile swipes over to the All Apps list
-- Tapping an alarm toggle has a long delay before the state changes
-- Messaging tends to crash when trying to send a photo
-- Photo processing after taking a picture takes FOREVER
-- Autofocus while trying to shoot a video is WAY too active, even a still camera with a relatively still subject results in focus going in and out every few seconds, never had this problem even going back to WP7
-- The Store just sucks, searches are slow, hitting the back button doesn't take you back to your search, the layout is awful (do I swipe up/down, left/right, I guess I'll guess, nope, wrong guess), and what's with the microscopic Show all links?
-- Edge isn't nearly finished, sites don't load properly, are slow to load, oftentimes hyperlinks won't even work (particularly on Windows Central)

And these are just some of the problems. I also have a whole list of design suggestions the get Windows 10 Mobile more on par with Windows 8.1's superior fluidity and usability, but those are more subjective.

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Keeping mine. Sold my S6 Edge after using this phone for a few days. So far so good. Fast phone, very nice screen, great camera and my battery life has been great. Only problem I've had is the embedded images not loading in my emails. Haven't hard reset it yet to fix it since it doesn't bother me. Love my Lumia 950 XL

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The battery life improves after a few days of use/charge cycles. Also, there are things most of us do not use that can be turned off (NFC for example) that helps a ton.

Also, it isnt the hardware, its WP10 that is the issue. The version that comes on the phone isnt up to date, and is a battery hog.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
These comments don't mean anything if you don't state specifically how long you've been using it? My phone was also dream to use the first few hours of having it.

I've been using it since the 25th, and I still stand by what I posted. It has been leaps and bounds better than my 1520.

mranieri

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
No phones current battery will last a days charge...not with all the power we are now packing into such a small device. Honestly, it amazes me, the fact is we always want more. More processing speed, better screens, better cameras, more and faster storage, better GPS, Better EVERYTHING! This requires a bigger power source and until battery technology gets better....12 hours is pretty good for the power you have in your hand. I need an open battery cover because I live and work on my phone.....

I am enjoying my experience with the 950XL. Are their quirks? Of course.....and some annoyances but as spoken here prior....all phones have quirks and issues....nobody can show me a phone that works perfectly because perfect is subjective. Same is design.

I will be keeping my Lumia and honestly cannot wait to see where MS takes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720