Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't W10 desktop and mobile an unfinished os that is always being updated and so that is why we are seeing all the problems? I get better battery life on my green L1520 with w10 than on my L950xl right now iv'e disabled Cortana and I have seen a little better battery life wont return mine just a wait and see game for me my nexus 6p battery drain is not that good either I guess high end devices will face these problems light n thin they say.

1. Cortana is one of the best features and a selling point you disable this you loose such great functionality.
2. You are correct I also have a nexus 6p and it does drain but mine last a full day and only needs like 45mins to fully charged again.

end result to the Lumia is a great phone and the WM OS I guess not a dev might be in beta 365 days year but optimization is the chip that is being used the 810 maybe its the issue as to why battery life doesn't last as long. I am sure phones with the 820 chip once it comes out will have better battery life, and also does microsoft have a feature like android has with Doze where if you have the phone sitting for more than lets say 15 mins with no one touching it, it goes into a sleep state vs staying awake all day and night regardless if you are using it (when i say staying awake I do not mean screen on, I mean like back ground process that don't sleep which drains the battery)

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Is it?

I just wrote exactly that, MS need us more than we need them. At this point it's a matter of survival for Windows Phones. Is W10 Perfect at this point, no. But neither are iOS or Android. I own Phones With all OS', I have to as a part of my job, but I have no doubt that W10 is my Choice of OS, and I fully trust MS to smoothen the Experience further in the coming weeks, months and years, given they continue Development. Who I dont trust however are Developers. And without Developers the ship will eventually sail off. And by Developers I mean those working for banks, 3rd party hw/gadget Companies and stuff like that. They will not respond well to the platform if the 950s dont sell well.

Being realistic at the same time as I really want W10m and lumias to survive, my Choice is easy for me. I dont see how its wierd.

Btw, saying W10m is a alpha Product I think is a litte off.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it?

I just wrote exactly that, MS need us more than we need them. At this point it's a matter of survival for Windows Phones. Is W10 Perfect at this point, no. But neither are iOS or Android. I own Phones With all OS', I have to as a part of my job, but I have no doubt that W10 is my Choice of OS, and I fully trust MS to smoothen the Experience further in the coming weeks, months and years, given they continue Development. Who I dont trust however are Developers. And without Developers the ship will eventually sail off. And by Developers I mean those working for banks, 3rd party hw/gadget Companies and stuff like that. They will not respond well to the platform if the 950s dont sell well.

Being realistic at the same time as I really want W10m and lumias to survive, my Choice is easy for me. I dont see how its wierd.

Btw, saying W10m is a alpha Product I think is a litte off.

I wouldn't say its weird, but I think folks are saying that they owe it to the us to put out great software along with this great hardware. we all know it takes time for things to mature. lets go back in time remember that little green robot android it sucked when it first came out and google decided that in order to be competitive that they needed to work things out and they did, same with apple both of these companies focus on user experience over all and yes while there are bugs and downsides to all OS even the beloved WM there is a difference . GOOG and APPL continue to improve faster. WM is not a baby lets stop acting as if it is, its been out since the treo days and seen many changes including turning into what it is today. Hell its the grand daddy of them yet its also very far behind the others due to relationships with developers and their own internal issues. So folks get a richer experience on the other two platforms while folks here and even though I own a lumia 950 xl and iPhone 6 plus and nexus 6p , it seem that folks here are in blackberry folks mode defend the half *** attempt that this company is putting out. BB has a excuse no money, last i checked microsoft has billions upon billions yet they can't get decent apps (first party) in their store to save their lives they took zune music and half assed it into groove music less features (can't even shuffle wth its 2015 and you can't shuffle a playlist), and they can't get any phone manufacturers the good ones to bring really great hardware because these folks see that they don't care enough about making the OS better faster vs slower thats just my two cents but you sir or ma'am have the right to your opinion and it's not bad.

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey Brandon...

I have the 1520 as well. A weird story for you. I dropped my 1520 down a flight of stairs on accident. Broke the screen, good.Replaced it and the phone started behaving ridiculously "glitchy". I went on line and saw articles and videos showing the behavior, too. I replaced the screen twice with repair people being meticulous the second time...and WM8.1 would not work. The "Ghost in the Machine" was working my last piece of sanity. I did two hard resets and, since I was losing everything anyway, upgraded to WM10 on the third. Worked wonders! However, the sacrifice...my phone battery dies quicker. You're right about the 1520 having a long battery life...but that is on WM8.1-8. WM10 eats battery life and warms the phone pretty hot. However, I would not go back. There is functionality that is really great with WM10 and I was lucky to play with 950xl for a spell. It's OS is a bit smoother than mine, but I think it will, in the long run will benefit. I hope you are not having buyer's remorse too soon. There are a few updates for the 950XL that, I believe, will be coming down the pipeline...because my 1520 is still getting them. Don't give up to soon...or return it, upgrade your phone if you want (oh..yes, WM10 is my main and only phone OS) and test it out more. The batter life does suck...but it's a good OS.:sweaty:

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
All these issues with the handsets makes me think they were doing a run of phones rushed and assembled by hand with poor process control to meet the release deadline...

I would actually put money on that. When I opened the box, while the box didn't appear to have been opened previously, when I looked at the phone closely, before pulling off the protectors, my first thought was...is this a used phone? Something just seemed off, like the blue arrow sticker stuck randomly on the bag, not actually on the phone, and there was lint all over it. Fortunately, Microsoft has a pretty generous return policy, so I'll likely be taking mine in for a replacement. I've got a red cast towards the bottom of the screen.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is a multi billion dollar company. If they want windows phone to succeed they should put the effort forward. It is unfair to make your must loyal customer suffer to keep the ship afloat. I only have Windows phone in my life. I have been marching to your beat for 5 years. It is just too much to put up with for another couple years and too much to swallow this current price tag to have a test phone. I cannot have a phone stuck in a boot cycle or requiring daily hard resets when I'm oncall all of the time. That is just poor loyalty from the company.

Simon Rhodes

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
True... I was actually thinking members here are more WP savvy and if they're having issues how many non-windows Central consumers are out there who bought one is saying wtf?? lol Point being the actual number of people who bought the XL and are here on our forum is quite small, so if this small percentage of new XL owners here are having so many issues and lousy battery life that can't be a good sign.. I actually just called sales to verify I have 30 days from receiving the phone to receive a full refund.. I'm going to stick it out and keep my fingers crossed that I'm one of the lucky ones who finds the XL performed as I've been hoping.. 2 days from of a full charge I know is already out of the question but a full day (wake to bedtime) I can live with..

It could be out of the how ever many thousands who bought this phone a very small percentage are complaining. Even if there are 200 users complaining in my opinion that is not really that many considering the amount of users who have bought the phone and read Windows Central.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Good Luck selling for retail. What kind of ***** would pay retail price for a "used " device?
What makes you think only people in their right minds have money?

Not likely but it happens. I actually sold two cars I bought new for more than I paid for them after owning them a year. And no, they weren't rare or highly desirable cars, but just lucked into the right buyers. But it couldn't have happened without asking a ridiculous amount.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey Brandon...

I have the 1520 as well. A weird story for you. I dropped my 1520 down a flight of stairs on accident. Broke the screen, good.Replaced it and the phone started behaving ridiculously "glitchy". I went on line and saw articles and videos showing the behavior, too. I replaced the screen twice with repair people being meticulous the second time...and WM8.1 would not work. The "Ghost in the Machine" was working my last piece of sanity. I did two hard resets and, since I was losing everything anyway, upgraded to WM10 on the third. Worked wonders! However, the sacrifice...my phone battery dies quicker. You're right about the 1520 having a long battery life...but that is on WM8.1-8. WM10 eats battery life and warms the phone pretty hot. However, I would not go back. There is functionality that is really great with WM10 and I was lucky to play with 950xl for a spell. It's OS is a bit smoother than mine, but I think it will, in the long run will benefit. I hope you are not having buyer's remorse too soon. There are a few updates for the 950XL that, I believe, will be coming down the pipeline...because my 1520 is still getting them. Don't give up to soon...or return it, upgrade your phone if you want (oh..yes, WM10 is my main and only phone OS) and test it out more. The batter life does suck...but it's a good OS.:sweaty:

Its good you eventually got it worked out. I actually dropped my phone at a club and the screen popped out a bit on the bottom left corner (back button backlight no longer works). But yea I do believe that it will get better with time but I just do not think that time is now. Maybe in 3 months or 6 when more feedback is actually implemented and not just reported through the feedback app. I was also getting bad battery life with WM10 until the other day when I hard reset it when switching to the 950xl. When I put the 950xl back in the box and switched back to the 1520, I did not restore from a previous backup and now this thing runs really well. Probably not as well as on 8.1 but a lot better than my previous experience with wp10

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
What makes you think only people in their right minds have money?

Not likely but it happens. I actually sold two cars I bought new for more than I paid for them after owning them a year. And no, they weren't rare or highly desirable cars, but just lucked into the right buyers. But it couldn't have happened without asking a ridiculous amount.

exactly. if someone wants something enough they will pay more or the same price as a new one rather than waiting for it to come into stock at the microsoft store. but yea the 30 day return period is still valid so if no one buys it, just return it and no harm no foul

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
After a tumultuous beginning, and serious consideration given to returning the 950xl, I have decided to keep it. I love it! All of the issues I had with setting it up have resolved, and the big issue - oft cited here re the battery - has also much improved. Today i took the phone off the charger, used it only a few times, but battery after 10 hours is still at 77%. Granted, the battery drains significantly when in moderate or heavy use, but I haven't had a phone that doesn't. Even my 640 with stellar battery life drained a lot when under heavy use. This screen is much bigger and better, and the phone itself has a speed unparalleled by any I have seen, including my previous Note Edge and the iPhone 6. As I've heard repeated, "it just works" and will only get better from here. The two major advantages I see with my first unlocked phone is that I should see immediate roll-outs of any updates (which I had to wait months for before with the carrier, and, likely the reason why the phone isn't offered through other carriers by Microsoft), and the quick charge seriously mitigates the battery issue because it can charge around 50% in a half hour. No more waiting for hours to charge when the battery dies!

To all the skeptics, hang in there. My phone was causing me a huge amount of grievance and distress at first, but I am quite happy with it now, and wouldn't consider replacing it with another.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not selling mine however this thing would be way better if it had the same if not all of the quality apps that IOS and or Android has there are like 4 that I wish this phone supported (ATT Digital Life so I can monitor my home camera's and automated house its through ATT so there is no other apps that would be able to access it, BillGuard - there is no replacement or an app even close to it, The real twitter - not MS fault more twitter there is no reason this app should not have the same functions as the other two OS no excuse at all, my banking apps Discover, Chase, American Airlines - I travel for business and this app doesn't even exist i can't check in or get scanned through using my phone, jawbone - up app where is this and why not,) everything else is there just need these few remaining and I will be in phone heaven the Lumia is hands down the best phone out there just its ecosystem when it comes to real first party quality apps sucks, I blame this on the Devs of these apps not MS unless someone knows something I don't maybe their lack of enthusiasm ran the good apps off who knows. However I would not blame someone for wanting to sell theirs if some things are really needed to make you keep a 700 device then all be it. I am one hoping that this bridge deal they are working on to bring OIS devs over solves this gap.

How are apps an argument pro or contra a specific device? Sorry, but the fact that the entire Windows ecosystem is lacking the majority of popular apps is a well known issue and something you could've come to know upfront easily. That's not something you could blame the phone for. That's rather something you can blame Microsoft and each and every company that refuses to develop and release apps for Windows for.

Simon Rhodes

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft have realized that there is a problem with the software as they have told Argos in the UK to hold off on selling the 950 / 950 XL until the 6th.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Still, when windows 10 m. will spread hopefully we will have more and more and better apps....

While I do hope the same, it's rather unlikely. It hasn't happened in 5 years, and I don't see why Windows 10 should change that. Microsoft's issue is that the app situation is causing many people to stay away from WP/WM which leads to a very low marketshare. This very low marketshare is what keeps companies and developers from investing time and money into developing apps for said ecosystem. Which brings us back to the point why many people refuse to buy a WP/WM powered device. There's only one way around it:

1) Microsoft needs to pay companies to make Windows apps.
2) Microsoft needs to make more ads and commercials around the globe.
3) Microsoft needs to pay retail stores or whereever else people go to purchase devices to actually recommend and sell Windows Phones.

Other than that, there's nothing else that could be done to get WP out of its misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven