Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
While I do hope the same, it's rather unlikely. It hasn't happened in 5 years, and I don't see why Windows 10 should change that. Microsoft's issue is that the app situation is causing many people to stay away from WP/WM which leads to a very low marketshare. This very low marketshare is what keeps companies and developers from investing time and money into developing apps for said ecosystem. Which brings us back to the point why many people refuse to buy a WP/WM powered device. There's only one way around it:

1) Microsoft needs to pay companies to make Windows apps.
2) Microsoft needs to make more ads and commercials around the globe.
3) Microsoft needs to pay retail stores or whereever else people go to purchase devices to actually recommend and sell Windows Phones.

Other than that, there's nothing else that could be done to get WP out of its misery.

but back then there was no Windows 10 and no universal apps.. - So this is something new.

We will see I am optimistic :) I am still waiting for a sailfish port tho :) that would be awesome

Ultimate Insider

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
While I do hope the same, it's rather unlikely. It hasn't happened in 5 years, and I don't see why Windows 10 should change that. Microsoft's issue is that the app situation is causing many people to stay away from WP/WM which leads to a very low marketshare. This very low marketshare is what keeps companies and developers from investing time and money into developing apps for said ecosystem. Which brings us back to the point why many people refuse to buy a WP/WM powered device. There's only one way around it:

1) Microsoft needs to pay companies to make Windows apps.
2) Microsoft needs to make more ads and commercials around the globe.
3) Microsoft needs to pay retail stores or whereever else people go to purchase devices to actually recommend and sell Windows Phones.

Other than that, there's nothing else that could be done to get WP out of its misery.

allowing to run android apps on the w10m is the key for the success of W10M. Even Steve Ballmer thinks this way.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
but back then there was no Windows 10 and no universal apps.. - So this is something new.

We will see I am optimistic :) I am still waiting for a sailfish port tho :) that would be awesome

That's true and it might turn out as the light at the end of the tunnel. But considering how low the interest in developing apps for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 has been, I doubt it's gonna change a lot. But we'll see.

allowing to run android apps on the w10m is the key for the success of W10M. Even Steve Ballmer thinks this way.

If what Ballmer thinks or has thought would actually be any good, than WP had skyrocketed years ago. ;) Seriously though, I've pointed this out before.. BlackBerry supported Android apps and failed. They're now delivering handsets running full Android - with a couple of security adjustements. Still Android though. Ain't gonna change a thing, they're lost. And it's nothing different with Microsoft here. Consider it this way: what could be the probable mighty saviour could as well turn out to be the final death blow to the entire system. Why should any company or developer care about developing universal Windows apps that run great across phones, tablets and desktop PCs, heck even make use of the great Continuum, if all they have to do is publish their already finished Android app over? Got it? It's not going to help.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

In the short term, yes this would probably help sell a few more phones. But if that was the case, why would you not just buy an android phone?

The apps will be the same on both platforms, sure you'd have a windows phone, but all that native functionality like live tiles would be gone from all but the stock apps. Why would anyone develop for windows mobile when you can just stick the android app in the store and forget about it?

The way candy crush was done, a recompile of the objective-c code is the way forward. This allows tweaks for the native functions to be added after adoption of the app can be confirmed to be financially viable. We'll see better and faster apps this way.

With Universal apps and the ability to recompile iPhone apps, WM is in a better position without android apps than with it.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The only reason any of us use windows is we like the OS and are willing to sacrifice some functionality. Any way to get apps would improve the system. OS instability is happening with or without android apps.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only reason any of us use windows is we like the OS and are willing to sacrifice some functionality. Any way to get apps would improve the system. OS instability is happening with or without android apps.

I think in terms of functionality WP/WM is at least on par with iOS. It will never be as versatile as Android, but that's due to Android being open, whereas WP/WM is a lot more locked down in order to provide a more secure and fluid experience. Nevertheless, I couldn't even think of any function or feature WP/WM isn't capable off.
We're NOT talking apps here!

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I think in terms of functionality WP/WM is at least on par with iOS. It will never be as versatile as Android, but that's due to Android being open, whereas WP/WM is a lot more locked down in order to provide a more secure and fluid experience. Nevertheless, I couldn't even think of any function or feature WP/WM isn't capable off.

That is because Windows Phone meets your needs. You do not know what you don't know until you know what you don't know. Fortunately, I am not in a bubble. I have actually used other platforms extensively and can say without question that WP still has some ways to go to catch up to iOS in terms of just functions and reliability.

And you cannot take apps out of the equation. That is a ridiculous premise. It is like saying, "I do not know of anything the Xbox One can do that the PS4 cannot do. Let's take games out of the equation. Games are an integral part of the system! Apps are an integral part of smartphones! You cannot and should not separate the two.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That is because Windows Phone meets your needs. You do not know what you don't know until you know what you don't know. Fortunately, I am not in a bubble. I have actually used other platforms extensively and can say without question that WP still has some ways to go to catch up to iOS in terms of just functions and reliability.

And you cannot take apps out of the equation. That is a ridiculous premise. It is like saying, "I do not know of anything the Xbox One can do that the PS4 cannot do. Let's take games out of the equation. Games are an integral part of the system! Apps are an integral part of smartphones! You cannot and should not separate the two.

I've been using all kinds of Droids as well as iPhones to know what I'm talking about.
Apps are essential, I'm not dellisional enough to neglect that. But missing apps don't mean missing features. Features are OS related, whereas apps are related to those who refuse to develop them for WP/WM.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In the short term, yes this would probably help sell a few more phones. But if that was the case, why would you not just buy an android phone?

The apps will be the same on both platforms, sure you'd have a windows phone, but all that native functionality like live tiles would be gone from all but the stock apps. Why would anyone develop for windows mobile when you can just stick the android app in the store and forget about it?

The way candy crush was done, a recompile of the objective-c code is the way forward. This allows tweaks for the native functions to be added after adoption of the app can be confirmed to be financially viable. We'll see better and faster apps this way.

With Universal apps and the ability to recompile iPhone apps, WM is in a better position without android apps than with it.

But from what I understand this universal bridge deal they have for porting iPhone apps right now is only for the simple apps not the complex ones as there is still more code needed there and hopefully they will do some updating but its in the infancy stage with this project. I do not want games i want those really good productivity apps that are on IOS along with all of the financial apps.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But from what I understand this universal bridge deal they have for porting iPhone apps right now is only for the simple apps not the complex ones as there is still more code needed there and hopefully they will do some updating but its in the infancy stage with this project. I do not want games i want those really good productivity apps that are on IOS along with all of the financial apps.

It won't get any more complex than games. If these can be done, pretty much everything can be done.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Sorry but I think you are dead wrong here and just spouting ****** spittle.

I just finished using an iPhone and in regards to the OS (not apps) it is definitely inferior to Windows Mobile in many ways.
I'll just post a couple of things:
1. No app drawer. Every app is required to have a freaking tile on a screen no matter what. Only way to get rid of a tile is to delete the app. SERIOUSLY?? Apps I dont use often dont need to be taking up screen space and I should not have to make tons of folders to hide them or drag them 4 screens away to not see them.
2. Only app tiles no widgets or live tiles. All the screens are completely useless with a sea of uninformative tiny tiles on them.
3. Only way to see any type of notifications or information is to swype down the notification area and then left right??
4. Email client sucks BIG TIME. It does not pick up emails as quickly as Windows Mobile.
5. Keyboard has no swype capabilities. I know you can download the app but not the same as built in.
6. Horrible navigation. Up to each app to implement some kind of back button and its not consistently implemented. Even then screen space is wasted to do it.
7. Multitasking is terrible and does not feel like real multitasking.

I can keep going but even many iPhone owners I know will admit the OS is lacking some features and has outdated usability implementations.
Apps and the good old "it just works" are what I keep hearing from people on why the stick with it.

As for Android it will pretty much do anything you want if you are willing to download mods/apps or figure out things for yourself.

Kaenon11

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am on the fence with this phone.

There are some things I very much like about the phone, and other I don't very much like.

Just some background, my dd is an HTC One M8 and I also use an iPhone 6 for work. My HTC is set up perfectly for all my needs and I have full access to all the apps I want and need (FanDuel, Fantasy Football, Hue Lights, Five Guys (for that burger splurge), banking apps!!! and Google Drive and Google Music which I am tied to). I do not like iOS. I also played around with BB10 (Z10, Q10 and Passport) and most recently bought a Priv before returning it.

Back to the Lumia 950XL....
It took me a couple of hard resets in order to get the WiFi and Lumia Offers App working properly.
I love Windows Hello.
Adding email accounts and syncing all my gmail accounts was a breeze.
Love the camera, live photos, etc. and especially a dedicated camera button with pressure sensitivity.
I have downloaded some apps to supplement Hue Lights (Oni: Light Control), Google Music ( Client for Google Music) and Package Tracker (for FedEx Delivery and UPS). Many of these apps have there flaws and are no way as good as the original.
The Google Drive supplement is not very good.
Edge browser not as good as chrome and many forums I read, the text is normal size in the OP's post, but each successive after that is almost too tiny to read (the only time the phone has too small of text).
Much of the text everywhere else is too big (WhatsApp for a prime example).
BBM is buggy on WP10.
No banking apps...
Lack of case support (Tech21 best case maker). The movo things look cool, but are hard to get and are pricey right now.
Bottom of the phone creaks like crazy.
Battery life has been sub-optimal, but I think it has gotten better the last day or two..

I'm sure there is more, but again the phone is close - but not quite there just yet...

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but I think you are dead wrong here and just spouting ****** spittle.

I just finished using an iPhone and in regards to the OS (not apps) it is definitely inferior to Windows Mobile in many ways.
I'll just post a couple of things:
1. No app drawer. Every app is required to have a freaking tile on a screen no matter what. Only way to get rid of a tile is to delete the app. SERIOUSLY?? Apps I dont use often dont need to be taking up screen space and I should not have to make tons of folders to hide them or drag them 4 screens away to not see them.
2. Only app tiles no widgets or live tiles. All the screens are completely useless with a sea of uninformative tiny tiles on them.
3. Only way to see any type of notifications or information is to swype down the notification area and then left right??
4. Email client sucks BIG TIME. It does not pick up emails as quickly as Windows Mobile.
5. Keyboard has no swype capabilities. I know you can download the app but not the same as built in.
6. Horrible navigation. Up to each app to implement some kind of back button and its not consistently implemented. Even then screen space is wasted to do it.
7. Multitasking is terrible and does not feel like real multitasking.

I can keep going but even many iPhone owners I know will admit the OS is lacking some features and has outdated usability implementations.
Apps and the good old "it just works" are what I keep hearing from people on why the stick with it.

As for Android it will pretty much do anything you want if you are willing to download mods/apps or figure out things for yourself.

Everything you have mentioned are cosmetic and personal preference. You prefer tiles. You prefer not seeing icons. You prefer WP swype on keyboard. All personal preferences. I like them too.

However, I am talking about actual use. Pick up. Use. Put away. Being able to unlock your phone before it gets out of your pocket. Being able to pay for stuff with zero fuss. Being able to play your music remotely in any part of the house that you want without it missing a beat. Being able to open any app and know it will work in the best way possible.

Again, some of you fans are a big part of the problem. We all want this OS to improve but if we point out things that could be better, we are "iTards". You just want us all to bury our heads in the sand?

I mean, I have a brand new 950XL from Microsoft and I still choose to use an iOS device for Xbox One Smartglass. Think about that for a second. That makes no sense whatsoever. But, if I point that out, I am a ******. And, why am I using the iOS version? Because it works better. With the WP version I get... wait for it....... "resuming"! Two years in and we are still having "resuming" issues. Every WP user just accepts it as part of the platform but it shouldn't be like that. That is not acceptable.

wp_ss_20151202_0002.jpg

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

That's what I mean. The function of apps. I can't dictate on my phone, read my journal, access emr... The OS used to work well and have customizable options I liked. But without apps, it is like having a PC without any 3rd party software... No function.

Last edited:

The_Fox

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
First off, I had a Lumia 1520 and just got the 950XL, and I think the 950XL is a GREAT phone. It's fast, the camera is great, the touch sensitivity is phenomenal, and the build of the phone itself is (in my opinion) quite premium. Now, it's not metal like an iPhone, however, I find iPhones slick to hold and a little heavy. Aside from that, metal doesn't necessarily equal premium.

Having said all of the above, I will admit that for the first day or two, I wasn't sure about whether I'd made a good decision. I found that the battery drained a little quick, and the Windows Hello iris scanner worked intermittently (whenever I would click the unlock button, the scanner would either not come on, or it would immediately say 'can't recognize you'). So, after doing a little digging I found that people in several places (here included) mentioned that they reset their phones, then restored from a backup and it seemed to fix the issues they were having. I did the same, and I am here to tell you, it made a WORLD of difference. Now, EVERY time I click the unlock button, the scanner works perfectly. My battery lasts a LONG time (as in, I'm a fairly heavy user - mostly text, internet and email - and my phone goes from 100% at 5am to 21% at 11:30pm), and the quirks I was experiencing at first have ceased.

Basically, if you've got a 950XL, don't give up on it. It's a great phone, and Windows 10 Mobile is getting better all the time. The app gap WILL close eventually, maybe not all the way, but enough that I think we'll start seeing much greater adoption down the road. It seems to me that people forget that BlackBerry was once the king, and look where they're at now. Android wasn't so hotly received at first either, but it is now a powerhouse. The point I'm trying to make here is that Windows was a late entrant into the mobile game, but where Microsoft is different from everyone else is that they listen to their users and change the systems (PC, Mobile) to fit us. While most people point to Win8/8.1 and chuckle about how much of a misstep it was, the important thing to take away is that Microsoft went back to the board and made MASSIVE (probably costly) changes in response. So give it time people, it's all going to come together.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
That's true and it might turn out as the light at the end of the tunnel. But considering how low the interest in developing apps for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 has been, I doubt it's gonna change a lot. But we'll see.
I too am skeptical, but it is different this time. Its not just making an app for Windows, or making an app for Windows Phone. Now you can make an app, and it can run on Windows (laptop, tablet, desktop), Windows Phone, Xbox, Hololens, etc. I don't know if that's enough to draw developers, but its better than anything they've tried before. Also, iOS app porting tools are out there as well. iOS apps are generally better than Android apps anyway. If a developer has any interest in supporting W10, MS has made it as easy as possibly to port their iPhone or iPad app.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I spoke with a technical representative from Microsoft who told me that she is "100% sure that the Lumia 950XL (UNLOCKED) will work on the Verizon network with full CDMA and LTE functionality." So, I am not cancelling my order, however I assured her that if I could not connect and have full functionality on Verizon's network with the Lumia 950 XL (UNLOCKED), then I would be returning the phone for a full refund. She told me that Microsoft has a 30day return policy so if it doesn't work on Verizon's network to my complete satisfaction, I could call and return the phone for a full refund. So, let's hope she is not blowing smoke here and it will work on VZW. If not, guess I'll be going back to iOS until Microsoft gets their act together. I can't keep using my Lumia Icon as it's getting too old and the battery only lasts so many recharge cycles and I'm not interested in any of the other Lumias on the market right now. So, at least I can say I gave Microsoft the better part of 3 years with Windows Phone. Maybe when they release the Surface Phone with Windows 10 and the "Microid app store" (Cyanogen - Android apps) I'll switch back to Windows Phone.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
That's what I mean. The function of apps. I can't dictate on my phone, read my journal, access emr... The OS used to work well and have customizable options I liked. But without apps, it is like having a PC without any 3rd party software... No function.

Printing from all applications would be nice.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I spoke with a technical representative from Microsoft who told me that she is "100% sure that the Lumia 950XL (UNLOCKED) will work on the Verizon network with full CDMA and LTE functionality." So, I am not cancelling my order, however I assured her that if I could not connect and have full functionality on Verizon's network with the Lumia 950 XL (UNLOCKED), then I would be returning the phone for a full refund. She told me that Microsoft has a 30day return policy so if it doesn't work on Verizon's network to my complete satisfaction, I could call and return the phone for a full refund. So, let's hope she is not blowing smoke here and it will work on VZW. If not, guess I'll be going back to iOS until Microsoft gets their act together. I can't keep using my Lumia Icon as it's getting too old and the battery only lasts so many recharge cycles and I'm not interested in any of the other Lumias on the market right now. So, at least I can say I gave Microsoft the better part of 3 years with Windows Phone. Maybe when they release the Surface Phone with Windows 10 and the "Microid app store" (Cyanogen - Android apps) I'll switch back to Windows Phone.

I can tell you right now that it wont work on Verizon. I have my Verizon sim in it, plugged in the appropriate apn settings and.... wait for it.... nothing. Can only find t-mobile or ATT networks (basically anything GSM). So, you're going to want to cancel your order or you're going to be heading back to MSFT to return your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss