Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Everything you have mentioned are cosmetic and personal preference. You prefer tiles. You prefer not seeing icons. You prefer WP swype on keyboard. All personal preferences. I like them too.

However, I am talking about actual use. Pick up. Use. Put away. Being able to unlock your phone before it gets out of your pocket. Being able to pay for stuff with zero fuss. Being able to play your music remotely in any part of the house that you want without it missing a beat. Being able to open any app and know it will work in the best way possible.

Again, some of you fans are a big part of the problem. We all want this OS to improve but if we point out things that could be better, we are "iTards". You just want us all to bury our heads in the sand?

I mean, I have a brand new 950XL from Microsoft and I still choose to use an iOS device for Xbox One Smartglass. Think about that for a second. That makes no sense whatsoever. But, if I point that out, I am a ******. And, why am I using the iOS version? Because it works better. With the WP version I get... wait for it....... "resuming"! Two years in and we are still having "resuming" issues. Every WP user just accepts it as part of the platform but it shouldn't be like that. That is not acceptable.

? I listed FUNCTIONALITY not cosmetic.
App tiles allow me to see information on my screen without opening apps. Much quicker and more informative than going one app at a time to get basic information.
Email is not personal preference or cosmetic. When the stupid phone does not notify me of emails coming in on a timely manner it is counter productive.

Heck here is another really annoying thing about iOS.
Bluetooth connection to vehicles. Only works for calls, does not work for texts.
Siri/iOS will not read my my texts, prompt me for responses, or allow me to send any texts hands free.
Windows OS and Cortana allow me to do this on ANY VEHICLE with Bluetooth. I am not forced to buy into the Apple hype train of specialized systems and get "Apple CarPlay" for basic easy functionality.
HUGE NEGATIVE.

"Being able to pay for stuff with zero fuss", this is a personal preference.
You can do NFC payments with the Lumia as well its just up to retailers to accept it.

I prefer not seeing icons?????? You can label that a preference but its also a major lack of capability. Any OS mobile or otherwise (outside of iOS) has the basic capability of removing app icons/tiles from your screen.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't do hands free texting...it is distracting. Only thing connecting to car Bluetooth should do is stop the phone from ringing and auto reply.

NFC payments isn't about the stores alone. There is no nfc payment app available in the windows store. Maybe one day, but we've had nfc available 2years ahead of apple, but it just doesn't work. That is where I see the lack of functionality. The OS is pretty spot on (minus current bugs), but the missing functions brought by apps sucks. Just saw a commercial for a doorbell/camera/intercom that lets you answer your door from anywhere...but I can't use it. I'd have to go online and try to find a similar product if I was interested.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't do hands free texting...it is distracting. Only thing connecting to car Bluetooth should do is stop the phone from ringing and auto reply..
That's just simply ridiculous! Hands Free Text announcement and option to Read and reply is one of the best features of Windows Phone/Cortana and one I miss the MOST since getting an iPhone 6s+ on Verizon. If the 950XL had come to Verizon I'd have one right now!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you right now that it wont work on Verizon. I have my Verizon sim in it, plugged in the appropriate apn settings and.... wait for it.... nothing. Can only find t-mobile or ATT networks (basically anything GSM). So, you're going to want to cancel your order or you're going to be heading back to MSFT to return your phone.

Yes, this has been confirmed by Daniel Rubino right here on windows Central unboxing of the 950XL dual sim.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's just simply ridiculous! Hands Free Text announcement and option to Read and reply is one of the best features of Windows Phone/Cortana and one I miss the MOST since getting an iPhone 6s+ on Verizon. If the 950XL had come to Verizon I'd have one right now!

Ok, but its kind of like saying drinking and driving is okay and more fun. Just look up crash statistics. This is one feature that really should be banned from phones.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much any distraction in the car is bad news... Even the radio or others in the car significantly raise accident rates. Hands free calling and texting is almost as bad as texting while driving.

As for the verizon thing... The radios aren't certified for CDMA. There won't be any Lumia 950s on Verizon until that happens, so probably never.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't do hands free texting...it is distracting.
Nonsense. Unless you are acknowledging that the following are even more dangerous (which they are):

Talking to someone on a hands free call.
Talking to a passenger.
Changing music.
Adjusting the AC.
Taking a sip of any drink.
etc.

Using almost any control in a car requires eyes to be taken off the road. Hands free texting does not.

Using many controls in a car requires a hand to be taken off the wheel. Same for drinks, etc..

Talking to someone in the car or over the phone requires massively more of your brain capacity than texting or emailing or any non-realtime communication. Don't believe me? Your spouse asks you "Do these jeans make my butt look big?". Your mind is racing to make sure you say the right thing and without a telltale pause indicating indecision. If a spouse texts you that, you have all the time in the world to formulate an answer. Which is more likely to make that runaway cement truck go unnoticed for that tenth of a second you don't have?

Hands free texting requires use of your mouth and ears. I drive with my eyes, hands and feet, texting requires none of those. And it doesn't require any fast thinking.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not about eyes of the road or hands on the wheel. You drive with your brain. Talking to a person in a car is less distracting because they can pay attention to traffic also. This is the reason multiple teenagers driving a car is high risk... They don't pay attention. Talking on a phone hands free is as distracting as taking on the phone with your hand. Texting hands free is the same as texting. This is all well studied. All of this is unsafe. Every time I pass someone on the road going 10 mph under the speed limit they are doing this stuff. Really just has to deal with how bad humans are at multi tasking. But I probably just underestimate your super human abilities. Forgive me.

Last edited:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
keep the 950XL we will all be rich within a year when they find out the retina inferred beam torched our eyes slowly over a 4 year period lol... just humor guys lets laugh and enjoy the phone and admit the thing that is the problem is the slow ...... you get when accessing a app microsoft new they had a good thing with tiles because if we open the app it gives you a .................. now opens those of you who are wondering the dots either are going in circles or horizontal anyways the hardware is great for real software could get better MS has had what 5 years now since windows phone 7 so don't bet on it to change before our eyes burn out from the beautiful screen and the infrared light scanning our eyeballs. Oh and to the fella talking about the app gap I think we are farther away than closer to closing this but who knows for me get the apps updated in the store and get rid of the super slow ............. once I hit the tile to open the app and we are all good. lets get that class action ready who wants gray eyes from the slow burn of lazzzers

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
? I listed FUNCTIONALITY not cosmetic.
App tiles allow me to see information on my screen without opening apps. Much quicker and more informative than going one app at a time to get basic information.
Email is not personal preference or cosmetic. When the stupid phone does not notify me of emails coming in on a timely manner it is counter productive.

Heck here is another really annoying thing about iOS.
Bluetooth connection to vehicles. Only works for calls, does not work for texts.
Siri/iOS will not read my my texts, prompt me for responses, or allow me to send any texts hands free.
Windows OS and Cortana allow me to do this on ANY VEHICLE with Bluetooth. I am not forced to buy into the Apple hype train of specialized systems and get "Apple CarPlay" for basic easy functionality.
HUGE NEGATIVE.

"Being able to pay for stuff with zero fuss", this is a personal preference.
You can do NFC payments with the Lumia as well its just up to retailers to accept it.

I prefer not seeing icons?????? You can label that a preference but its also a major lack of capability. Any OS mobile or otherwise (outside of iOS) has the basic capability of removing app icons/tiles from your screen.

You clearly do not know the difference between personal preferences and core functions. A tile showing you notifications is something you prefer to have or not have. You like tiles on your home screen, someone else might PREFER (note the root word for preference) a home screen that is blank. An app stuck in perpetual "resuming" is not a personal preference. Apps working as they should is not a personal preference. A mature platform should not have those issues.

I can dismiss most of what you said about iOS easily but I do not want waste my time on that. Getting into a shouting match with a ****** is a waste of time and a disservice to the WP platform. I am clearly not a troll since I posted a picture showing the issue I spoke about. You? Rants and more rants. Complete waste of time. It does not make WP any better.

So, let us recap. Please pay attention. Your icons being static, your car not reading messages, those are functions that you know about going in. You chose the platform knowing those limitations. It is your choice to accept them. The function/app that you know about and chose to live with not running when you click on it is not a choice. That is an problem.

This might still go over your head. Hopefully it does not go over everyone's head. And what saddens me is; in other to help make this platform as great as I want it to be, I have to point out areas of improvement. When some of us do that, people like you throw a hissy fit.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not about eyes of the road or hands on the wheel. You drive with your brain. Talking to a person in a car is less distracting because they can pay attention to traffic also.
And it is the same brain dictating or listening to a text as for talking to a passenger BUT without any time pressure.

OMG I just realized you are saying that talking to a passenger isn't a distraction because a passenger is an extra set of eyes to watch traffic! LoL LoL too funny. I guess passengers have different brains that don't get distracted while speaking or listening.

But to play along.... You can't see the dump truck bearing down on you because you are speaking or listening to a passenger BUT the passenger who is also listening or speaking WILL see it and ...... here is the good part...... will be able to verbally communicate to you the problem and a suggested solution?

You have to be kidding. But if you aren't, please tell me what city you live in so I can be sure NOT to drive anywhere near it lest I be run into by you.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This might still go over your head. Hopefully it does not go over everyone's head. And what saddens me is; in other to help make this platform as great as I want it to be, I have to point out areas of improvement. When some of us do that, people like you throw a hissy fit.

No hissy fit and no you have no clue what the difference between preference and functionality is.
Preference would be "I prefer green to red".
Functionality: Ability to remove icons from screen.

I know Windows Mobile is not perfect and I voice my opinion plenty on it. Besides this forum I voice my opinion at Microsoft conferences like Ignite and Build, on the MSDN support forums, in blogs, etc..

You see I am an actual developer and I work with/on Microsoft products day in and day out.

I do get tired of the iPhone fanboys coming here to spew how iOS and iPhones are so great. They may be great to some and you but that, like you have mentioned, is a PREFERENCE.

I'm sorry you have a "Resume" issue with the Xbox Smartglass feature but not everyone does (I dont). Your issue is not validation that the Windows Mobile OS is inferior.
It may take some troubleshooting to figure out what is going on.
You may not want to go through it and I understand.

Similarly I don't want to go through iTunes crashing on my desktop computer and forgetting which phone is which. (my kids have iPhones).
To me it is poorly written software and requires troubleshooting every time it acts up.
It probably does not do that for everyone similarly to your issue with "resume".

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And it is the same brain dictating or listening to a text as for talking to a passenger BUT without any time pressure.

OMG I just realized you are saying that talking to a passenger isn't a distraction because a passenger is an extra set of eyes to watch traffic! LoL LoL too funny. I guess passengers have different brains that don't get distracted while speaking or listening.

But to play along.... You can't see the dump truck bearing down on you because you are speaking or listening to a passenger BUT the passenger who is also listening or speaking WILL see it and ...... here is the good part...... will be able to verbally communicate to you the problem and a suggested solution?

You have to be kidding. But if you aren't, please tell me what city you live in so I can be sure NOT to drive anywhere near it lest I be run into by you.

I really don't know how to respond to you. You have never been in a car where the passenger says, "hey watch out"? The passenger is an extra set of eyes. Talking is distracting, but not as bad in person (except teenagers who increase the risk of an accident when driving together).

Texting in any form is just as dangerous. This isn't opinion. This is just fact. This is just the first thing that shows up when you bing "hands free texting".

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hands-free-texting-is-no-safer-to-use-while-driving/

Last edited:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No hissy fit and no you have no clue what the difference between preference and functionality is.

I know Windows Mobile is not perfect and I voice my opinion plenty on it. Besides this forum I voice my opinion at Microsoft conferences like Ignite and Build, on the MSDN support forums, in blogs, etc..

You see I am an actual developer and I work with/on Microsoft products day in and day out.

I do get tired of the iPhone fanboys coming here to spew how iOS and iPhones are so great. They may be great to some and you but that, like you have mentioned, is a PREFERENCE.

I'm sorry you have a "Resume" issue with the Xbox Smartglass feature but not everyone does (I dont). Your issue is not validation that the Windows Mobile OS is inferior.

Similarly I don't want to go through iTunes crashing on my desktop computer and forgetting which phone is which. (my kids have iPhones).
To me it is poorly written software and requires troubleshooting every time it acts up.
It probably does not do that for everyone similarly to your issue with "resume".

Hey do me a favor and listen to the podcast windows weekly after that can you please comeback and comment on what the two biggest lovers of windows phone said. Another thing is don't take it like you are getting attacked I for one do not think anyone is a ****** if you bought this phone you must also like something in this platform correct? Just because you compare a OS that is much younger but much more mature when it comes to ecosystem doesn't make you a ******. Anyone who clearly spent their money on something has the right comment on its shortcomings without needing someone in the back saying you are a ****** because you disagree. If it was all lovely windows would have more market than single digits. I love the OS and Lumia and hopefully we get that surface phone during late second qtr but I will and repeat always say what irks me whether it is IOS, Android, BB10, or WM they all have flaws but the two that stands out the most WM, and BB10. but we still bought into it by buying the hardware. Next if you are a dev do me a favor and talk to your community dude and ask them to get on the ball they are the ones that can do something about this not us or anyone else that spends our money. Everyone most likely will give them money for great up to date apps.

Also since you do work with microsoft take this feedback to them and ask them to do something about what most people including the professionals gripe about, their lackadaisical approach to their apps thats all. Now am I going to get called a fan boy because I rock WM with the new Lumia 950XL, IOS with the 6plus and Android with the Nexus 6p, I hope not I just love tech and can afford to buy all of these devices, and support them all. I wish that I could be a dev and create beautiful and meaningful apps because god there is much money to be made here with the lack of great apps and apps that aren't being updated and have not been since WM 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10. I have no idea if i missed one in between.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

FYI. Resume issue, as you call it, is not an Xbox Smartglass thing. It happens on WP when you switch apps. This is endemic of the platform. If you regularly use multiple apps and switch between them, you will see them progressively take longer to resume. This is well documented and known by those of us that actually use the phones. We just choose to accept it as part of using a platform we love.

You really need to drop the chip you have on your shoulders about iPhones. It is not that serious. At the end of the day, these are just phones. Do not get so worked up over them.

Thankfully, I am not a fan of any platform. I am a fan of what works for me. So, I hold zero bitterness towards any of them. I own and use an iPhone, a BlackBerry Passport (best built phone in the world) and a Lumia 950XL. They all fill different needs. And I love them all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
gotta admit i am excited to get the 950xl. never tried windows phone before but i want to try something new,already did IOS and bored with android. so i have been reading alot about windows phones, guess my biggest concern is the apps. looks like most of the apps i use are on windows or have alternatives. mostly use netflix, facebook, facebook messenger (i read theres no calling for messenger yet) amazon, viber, only important banking app i want is discover for that mobile deposit i dont know if its on windows. even if there are apps i dont know what its like. so i guess i am going to see for myself and use that 30 day return. i know its going to take me more than a week just to figure out where stuff is. so yeah concerned about apps. used to Buggy OS. yes im talking about buggy *** android sometimes. but i would rather hold it and try for myself, maybe it might work for me. if not i am going to get the nexus 6p i guess and maybe but a lumia 640 that people seem to love so i can keep an eye on windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa