Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
In my home I have 2 920s, an 820, 520, 930, 1520 and my family owns 830s and a 928 and an icon.

Wow. Lot many Lumias you have. Just one genuine question though. How do you identify exactly which phone is ringing when all those phones are lying around the house? I had only 3 lumias and was sick of running around checking all the phones when one rings since there is no way to set custom tones and only a few of the available default tones are really good.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Lot many Lumias you have. Just one genuine question though. How do you identify exactly which phone is ringing when all those phones are lying around the house? I had only 3 lumias and was sick of running around checking all the phones when one rings since there is no way to set custom tones and only a few of the available default tones are really good.
The Doctor Who theme tune that plays when my phone rings, disagrees with your statement "there is no way to set custom tones"

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
ohh, I really would like to know how to set a favorite song as a tone for calls, messages, whatsapp, email, calender etc. Can I just select any song from music and set as ring tone? Or may be assign to a contact? As I could do in all Nokias?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I might be returning mine. The battery even after 5 days and 8 complete kill / charge cycles... it just drains so fast.

Complete drain/recharge is just about the worst thing to do for (especially) a new battery and _will_ degrade it's capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly. This is not the 1990s man.. Battery tech has moved on.. Just charge as you need/when you can.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
ohh, I really would like to know how to set a favorite song as a tone for calls, messages, whatsapp, email, calender etc. Can I just select any song from music and set as ring tone? Or may be assign to a contact? As I could do in all Nokias?

System > notifications & actions > choose app > set notification sound
Obviously this will depend on an app's abilities and if it's not there, talk to the developer

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
This thread is getting ridiculous guys.
You either like your new phone or you don't. If you don't like it, you can choose to wait for good updates or you can return it. Up to you. If you already made up your mind to return it, return it. We will not be able to convince you to keep it.
But everyone is entitled to their own opinion so please respect each other!

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to the thread.

I picked up my preordered 950XL on Friday. I was using an iPhone 6S+ in the meantime just to see if I would like it or not and possibly return it once the 950XL came. But after using the 950XL for five days and using iOS (would say iPhone but people don't like you saying that around here) it's the 950XL that is going back.

Reason being $700 dollars and I don't feel it's anymore different besides the smaller screen from my 1520. Sure the camera shoots "faster" but to do everything else like edit and what not is not embedded into the photos section and I have to use Lumia creative studio (which I sort of hate).

Still getting loading and resuming screens. I loathe how Microsoft Edge displays some of my favorite websites (Autoblog I'm looking at you). Spotify still doesn't remember where I left off at when in driving mode and I'm out and about. I've gotten comfortable with the apps and the QUALITY of them on iOS. Chase Bank how I miss you so! Mint thank you! Instagram non-beta! But that's software side.

Hardware: To me it doesn't feel like a $700 device. It's light and it has a removable back cover to change batteries but when compared to my iPhone or my co-workers S6 Edge it doesn't exude $700. To me it should of been priced about the same as a One Plus 2 especially if you want people to jump aboard Windows 10.

I will watch from afar as my iOS phone will be my daily driver. I still have my two backup 1520's (Yellow and Green) with one running Insider on Win10 so I'm not out of the loop. Hopefully Microsoft comes around and develops a better experience for its end user.

Because to me: I'm all about quality. I know people argue all the time that "iPhones suck' they're boring, bunch of crappy icons" that's fine and dandy. But it works and the quality of the apps are very different. You get tired of work-around and 3rd party solutions. I salute Rudy and others for 6Tag and 6Tin and MetroTube and all the others, but everything needs to flow like water within an OS and as of right now things just don't flow in Win10.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the thread.

I picked up my preordered 950XL on Friday. I was using an iPhone 6S+ in the meantime just to see if I would like it or not and possibly return it once the 950XL came. But after using the 950XL for five days and using iOS (would say iPhone but people don't like you saying that around here) it's the 950XL that is going back.

Reason being $700 dollars and I don't feel it's anymore different besides the smaller screen from my 1520. Sure the camera shoots "faster" but to do everything else like edit and what not is not embedded into the photos section and I have to use Lumia creative studio (which I sort of hate).

Still getting loading and resuming screens. I loathe how Microsoft Edge displays some of my favorite websites (Autoblog I'm looking at you). Spotify still doesn't remember where I left off at when in driving mode and I'm out and about. I've gotten comfortable with the apps and the QUALITY of them on iOS. Chase Bank how I miss you so! Mint thank you! Instagram non-beta! But that's software side.

Hardware: To me it doesn't feel like a $700 device. It's light and it has a removable back cover to change batteries but when compared to my iPhone or my co-workers S6 Edge it doesn't exude $700. To me it should of been priced about the same as a One Plus 2 especially if you want people to jump aboard Windows 10.

I will watch from afar as my iOS phone will be my daily driver. I still have my two backup 1520's (Yellow and Green) with one running Insider on Win10 so I'm not out of the loop. Hopefully Microsoft comes around and develops a better experience for its end user.

Because to me: I'm all about quality. I know people argue all the time that "iPhones suck' they're boring, bunch of crappy icons" that's fine and dandy. But it works and the quality of the apps are very different. You get tired of work-around and 3rd party solutions. I salute Rudy and others for 6Tag and 6Tin and MetroTube and all the others, but everything needs to flow like water within an OS and as of right now things just don't flow in Win10.

You might get called names. Some people here get bent outta shape when you give an opinion such as yours.

As someone that owns both phones also, I know that everything you've said is spot on. However, I am keeping my 950XL. I actually love the feel and size of it. Sure it doesn't feel premium but the Mozo backs should help with that.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
You might get called names. Some people here get bent outta shape when you give an opinion such as yours.

As someone that owns both phones also, I know that everything you've said is spot on. However, I am keeping my 950XL. I actually love the feel and size of it. Sure it doesn't feel premium but the Mozo backs should help with that.

Yes that's why I don't post as often as I used to. This forum has went the way of crack berry from when I used to own a blackberry. If you're not constantly praising Windows people get real defensive. I just try to be objective and unbiased.

I will admit the 950XL is a good start but when you're already behind in the mobile atmosphere and need to gain market share, erase negative perceptions and make deficiencies within the ecosystem less noticeable you need to hit home runs.

mflotron

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks god Nokia is back in 2016. I think that my 1520 will be alive till then. Its not cool to have a "microsoft" phone XD

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Complete drain/recharge is just about the worst thing to do for (especially) a new battery and _will_ degrade it's capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly. This is not the 1990s man.. Battery tech has moved on.. Just charge as you need/when you can.

Ok. Tell that to the dozens of people here who suggest to do just that. Also, mine went through the kill / charge cycle naturally, being the battery would drain so fast that it was ready to die and therefore needed to get charged. thanks for the condescending commentary however.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Tell that to the dozens of people here who suggest to do just that. Also, mine went through the kill / charge cycle naturally, being the battery would drain so fast that it was ready to die and therefore needed to get charged. thanks for the condescending commentary however.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

There you go. No more myths. Battery engineers even say that completely discharging is not good. It also says so in the manual of my laptop which has a lithium ion cell. Also ,when you store it away for a long time, do it with a 40% charge.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I always plug in the phones to charge over night, that way I usually have battery to last all day.
The laptop is kept plugged into wall outlet. I wouldn't want to be some place and need to use the
phone and find the battery has to be charged to complete an emergency call. I have friends
that talk and talk, but it takes a while before they come out and say what they get to the
important part. I feel it's good to always have the phone close to fully charged.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
System > notifications & actions > choose app > set notification sound
Obviously this will depend on an app's abilities and if it's not there, talk to the developer

forget about apps. I want to set a custom tune for, say, messaging. But I do not see the option in the location you mentioned. There is a list of only default notication tones to choose from.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
forget about apps. I want to set a custom tune for, say, messaging. But I do not see the option in the location you mentioned. There is a list of only default notication tones to choose from.

When you go to settings -> System -> Notifications & Info, tap on any app and then tap the drop down menu on the very bottom it doesn't have any sounds available other than those that come with the device per default? Check the ringtones folder on your device, if it contains anything. If so, these should appear in the dropdown.

You might wanna get one of the countless apps and download some ringtones. At least these should appear in the aforementioned menu. Imho the best apps are Zedge, Tonality and Melodia.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Send the "Sound" you want to yourself as a text message. Save the attachment.
Now go look for it in your list of text sounds. It may take a moment for the list to refresh. Select the tone you want, and test.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks god Nokia is back in 2016. I think that my 1520 will be alive till then. Its not cool to have a "microsoft" phone XD

The good thing here is maybe just maybe they will make a windows phone to compete with the surface phone that MS confirmed would be around 2nd qtr based on that shareholder meeting they just had. Not sure what the terms are for Nokia if they can even do that but it would be nice if they did would force MS to really get creative and may bring more folks over, however I got a feeling the new Nokia will try to pump out some really nice android phones first.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When you go to settings -> System -> Notifications & Info, tap on any app and then tap the drop down menu on the very bottom it doesn't have any sounds available other than those that come with the device per default? Check the ringtones folder on your device, if it contains anything. If so, these should appear in the dropdown.

You might wanna get one of the countless apps and download some ringtones. At least these should appear in the aforementioned menu. Imho the best apps are Zedge, Tonality and Melodia.

I love zedge that app is great and easy to get ringtones and tones and wallpapers those DEVS A+

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The good thing here is maybe just maybe they will make a windows phone to compete with the surface phone that MS confirmed would be around 2nd qtr based on that shareholder meeting they just had. Not sure what the terms are for Nokia if they can even do that but it would be nice if they did would force MS to really get creative and may bring more folks over, however I got a feeling the new Nokia will try to pump out some really nice android phones first.

I have no idea if the leaked renders were just fake or not, but I've seen a couple of images showing a so called Nokia N1 which is offered with either WM or Android. It's up to the customer. Again, these could be just made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss