Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Also since you do work with microsoft take this feedback to them and ask them to do something about what most people including the professionals gripe about, their lackadaisical approach to their apps thats all. Now am I going to get called a fan boy because I rock WM with the new Lumia 950XL, IOS with the 6plus and Android with the Nexus 6p, I hope not I just love tech and can afford to buy all of these devices, and support them all. I wish that I could be a dev and create beautiful and meaningful apps because god there is much money to be made here with the lack of great apps and apps that aren't being updated and have not been since WM 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10. I have no idea if i missed one in between.

If you only knew how much I and fellow developers of mine have complained to Microsoft about their approach and marketing strategy for Windows Mobile.
We get extremely annoyed with some of the infuriating decisions Microsoft makes.
It has a lot to do with constant changes in vision due to new leadership.
Sometimes I wish I could literally slap some of these folks.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
nonsense I have had plenty of higher end phones that worked perrrrfect out of the box.

You are making excuses.

This is both the most expensive and only bug ridden phone I've ever purchased. I essentially had no problems with my flip phones, HTC incredible, HTC trophy, Lumia 1520, and Lumia 640. Long term the 1520 screen is the only one that I've had scratch and break. The trophy was not able to update. The incredible was also unable to update. None ever caused me any other issues, other than manually having to turn off GPS in the early days of android to preserve battery, but at least I could put a switch on the main screen to do this easily. I agree, these are excuses for functional problems, not just cosmetic or little problems.

Keith Hibbitts

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I didn't seem to have the bugs that some experience, but I am returning the phone to MS. I pre-ordered the 950 XL and received it the Friday after Thanksgiving. I actually picked up the 950 at the mall a couple of days prior to that just to check it out. I'm keeping the 950 and returning the 950 XL. A couple of reasons are: the size is better for me to just slip into my pocket and go; I have VVM with the 950 where it doesn't exist on the XL. I question the whole topic of 4G vs. LTE, but that's simply because mine goes back and forth between the two. I'll check back in a few months for the Surface phone, but until then I'll go with the 950. If the Surface phone doesn't make a debut, then I may just switch to the dark side. I've been using Windows operating systems on phones for about 13 years now ... going back to Windows CE on slider/keyboard phones. Needless to say, I've been a long-time user. But there may be a time to admit defeat and just ... go. Anyway, not giving up yet ... as I haven't in the past. But time will tell.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
already posted about this in the Q&a section of the forums but haven't heard any replies... can any of you confirm or deny that this is also happening with their purchases?

When I went onto microsoftstore.com and select request a return, I am greeted by either returning via mail or in store. I was under the impression that you could not return at one of the stores if you purchased online and vice versa. Also when selecting return by mail, it says that it is returnable until 2/1/2016 which is obviously more than the 30 day period. Am I missing something? possibly a holiday return policy like that bestbuy implements starting in November?

wisedesi

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Android is a battery sucker. So is W10M. Looks like Microsoft copied almost everything from Android after all.

Windows 10 on my Lumia 1520 rock solid, might see 5% drop in battery drop but it is all worth it. Windows 10 awesome, Edge even better, with private browing ... I love outlook app and other Microsoft app. As long as I have a good browser I don't care about any apps.

I have said this before, if you want to leave the Windows platform than choose iOS. Personally I am on windows because of OS not for apps, my main apps are created by Microsoft.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
already posted about this in the Q&a section of the forums but haven't heard any replies... can any of you confirm or deny that this is also happening with their purchases?

When I went onto microsoftstore.com and select request a return, I am greeted by either returning via mail or in store. I was under the impression that you could not return at one of the stores if you purchased online and vice versa. Also when selecting return by mail, it says that it is returnable until 2/1/2016 which is obviously more than the 30 day period. Am I missing something? possibly a holiday return policy like that bestbuy implements starting in November?

When you actually look at the return policy, it says 30 days. When I returned mine, the email confirming the return gave me a shorter return period. May be a mistake.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
When you go to settings -> System -> Notifications & Info, tap on any app and then tap the drop down menu on the very bottom it doesn't have any sounds available other than those that come with the device per default? Check the ringtones folder on your device, if it contains anything. If so, these should appear in the dropdown.

Great. That really did help. Now just few things:
1: Is there any other easy way? I connected my WP to PC and transferred my songs to ringtones folder and they they appeared in the list. Can't I select from Music?
2: Which formats are supported? I tried only mp3 and it worked.
3: How can I assign a particular tone to a particular contact?

You might wanna get one of the countless apps and download some ringtones. At least these should appear in the aforementioned menu. Imho the best apps are Zedge, Tonality and Melodia.

I really do not want to keep installing apps as L925 has limited storage which I need for photos and, obviously, songs. Also, when I go on installing and trying different apps, they keeps stacking up in Store -> My Apps. So when I have to factory reset the phone for some reason, I have to go through the huge list of apps I installed just as a trail and now will never install, only to find the few I want to install. There is no option to remove those unwanted app from My Apps.

Send the "Sound" you want to yourself as a text message. Save the attachment.
Now go look for it in your list of text sounds. It may take a moment for the list to refresh. Select the tone you want, and test.

This I didn't understand. I have to send MMS with the tone as an attachment form my phone to my phone? I don't find it practical though as MMS is very costly.

BrandonLiveuh

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Isn't that always the claim... "it will be fixed with an update"... I get tired of that BS.
It either works day one up to my standards or it's going back. That's how I roll these days.
That being said. I got a 950xl and replaced it be cause it crashed 6 times the first day and about 6 more times while operating with the Microsoft Phone dock with only 30 minutes worth of use. The first three days I had the first 950xl, it was very unreliable.
I totally love the phone. But if I get even a hint of possible hardware failure in my electronics these days you can bet I'm getting a replacement and if the replacement doesn't work I get a refund.
I'm willing to give anyone a chance but I'm not going to be stuck with a lemon. Not at $650 or more.
Luckily my 2nd 950xl has had no reboots in 3 days of use. Keeping my fingers crossed. I kind of suspect my MicroSD as the cause of my phone instability, so I didn't bother installing it in the new one. After a week I'll put it in and see if anything changes.
Oh and, Microsoft has one of the longest return time frames of most cellphone retailers, that's 30 days. It helps having a Microsoft mini store/kiosk at my local mall, they are NO hassle returns so I respect them for that.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Great. That really did help. Now just few things:
1: Is there any other easy way? I connected my WP to PC and transferred my songs to ringtones folder and they they appeared in the list. Can't I select from Music?
2: Which formats are supported? I tried only mp3 and it worked.
3: How can I assign a particular tone to a particular contact?

I really do not want to keep installing apps as L925 has limited storage which I need for photos and, obviously, songs. Also, when I go on installing and trying different apps, they keeps stacking up in Store -> My Apps. So when I have to factory reset the phone for some reason, I have to go through the huge list of apps I installed just as a trail and now will never install, only to find the few I want to install. There is no option to remove those unwanted app from My Apps.

This I didn't understand. I have to send MMS with the tone as an attachment form my phone to my phone? I don't find it practical though as MMS is very costly.

The list you're referring to is your library or purchase history. It contains all the apps/games you ever downloaded. You definitely can't remove any of these apps using your phone. And last time I checked it wasn't even possible on your account management site (accounts.live.com). But if you know the name of the app you want to install again, there's no need to look through the entire list. You can just search the store for it.

Music or songs can only be assign as alarm tones as far as I know. I don't remember having seen the option appear anywhere else. If you want to assign a custom ring or message sound for a contact, open your people hub / contact app, tap the contact you want to assign a sound and tap the edit button on the bottom. The contact information itself contains options to assign custom sounds.

Nischi85

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of returning mine (Sweden) because of my at least perceived audio problems while calling.

The voice I hear in the phone doesn't sound very crisp or clear to me. I'm coming from a Lumia 1520, and Sony Xperia Z3 for comparisons sake. Anyone else experiencing voice call quality problems ?
To be clear, I can still hear people, it's just not as good as other phones.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Read this today on Forbes of all places: Forbes Welcome

Review talks about how the mighty iPhone 6s plus cannot make it through a full day on a single charge and starts complaining about battery. Said the only way to be happy was to put a charging case on the phone.
Also goes on to say its a mediocre phone and nothing magical to necessitate upgrading.
Even throws in a few blows about iOS and its quirks.

So yeah iOS has more apps but when it comes to the hardware, battery life, and OS the grass really isnt much greener on the other side.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[Warn] And once again a moderator has had to come in here and cleanup, let's refrain from name calling, foul language and anything else against forum rules. If we cannot discuss this in a civilized and constructive manner then this thread will be closed and points will be given, it's really that simple [/warn]

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I saw the same thing. I didn't trust it though. The website info says 30 days. When I was clicking the return information, it implies that they would need to receive the phone by 2/1/16. Then when I got the email with confirmation info, it gave me a shorter (30 day) deadline. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any of the problems you're all talking about. I have only one problem with my 950XL. I have no image in my email. Everything else work. If you don't like the dual SIM card that's small issues you can link the message boxes that get rid of the message 1 and 2 labels then you can go into SIM setup and name your sim card what ever you want to. I am glad for the Dual sim. I travel allot and I alway taking a 2nd phone with me. I alway buy a local sim when ever I travel to make local call and call back home. So I don't have to pay roaming charges. Now I can have one phone. Just slip in my purchase card into my 950 and off I go. Been a new hardware running Beta software I think Microsoft did a wonderful job. We are the one who has put pressure on Microsoft to release this product before the software was final. I am happy they did. So I think a little less ******** would help. The product is fine. We have become too picky and demanding when it come to innovation, we have forgotten how complex these instrument are and how much engineering go into producing one of these products. As time goes by more feature will be unlocked on theses devices. The current design of this phone is using a very small portion of the capability of these devices a big thanks to the engineering team at Microsoft excellent product with futuristic aspirations. I know giving you more time this would be a product second to none. Now I have my 950XL waiting so do your releases and make this product shine well done Microsoft

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Due to the problems that have not been fixed when going from 1520 to the 950xl I plan on selling it or returning it back to microsoft. Anyone else considering doing the same or am I just being too nitpicky with an OS that should have been completed by now.

What problem?
I sold my 1520 due to the hardware problem that everyone was having as well, namely when trying to scrolling anywhere the phone detected double tap and started program and such. It was really annoying.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
What problem?
I sold my 1520 due to the hardware problem that everyone was having as well, namely when trying to scrolling anywhere the phone detected double tap and started program and such. It was really annoying.
Precisely. That alone made me want to get a new phone, and the 950 XL ticked all my boxes.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Due to the problems that have not been fixed when going from 1520 to the 950xl I plan on selling it or returning it back to microsoft. Anyone else considering doing the same or am I just being too nitpicky with an OS that should have been completed by now.

I'm just curious if you have indeed returned your L950XL. I have been thoroughly enjoying this phone thus far in the last 9 days. Yes, the W10M is not quite done yet and I have experienced several unexplained reboots. MS is still working on the Build 10586. MS has been pressured to release it with L950/L950XL before it is complete. I fully expected that some bug fixing period will be ahead in the coming months. There are some quirks but nothing earth shaking. The L950XL hardware, camera, continuum and display are fantastic. I have been using Continuum a lot with the Display Dock. The performance is wonderful and way exceeds my expectations. Dock is a must for a good Continuum experience. I don't really have battery issue as some have claimed. The Quick Charging has lessened the battery concern. I felt the same with my Band. Short recharging time really helps. I watched some entertainment video programs via Edge on Continuum for 2.5 hours today. The battery started with 100% and ended with 100% also. The Dock has voided any battery issues. The HD video quality is simply fantastic. I'm thinking to cancel my Dish contract and also reduce my Comcast packages. It would save me close to $800 a year. Purchasing a L950XL is one of my best investments I have done this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99