Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
My 1520.3 goes 4+ days and that's on WM10 insider. One day is a BAD thing.

Agreed, put Win 10 insider on my 640XL 2 days ago, updated to 10586.29 today and OS hasn't really settled in completely (figure a couple days) and its been off the charger since the update at 9:30am its at 66% now at 11:30pm,damn good I think this early in the new build..
Now I'm contemplating canceling my 950XL preorder and sticking with my 640XL for a few months until the dust settles on the 950XL, should be cheaper or even go for a used one on ebay or Craigs...

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm just curious if you have indeed returned your L950XL. I have been thoroughly enjoying this phone thus far in the last 9 days. Yes, the W10M is not quite done yet and I have experienced several unexplained reboots. MS is still working on the Build 10586. MS has been pressured to release it with L950/L950XL before it is complete. I fully expected that some bug fixing period will be ahead in the coming months. There are some quirks but nothing earth shaking. The L950XL hardware, camera, continuum and display are fantastic. I have been using Continuum a lot with the Display Dock. The performance is wonderful and way exceeds my expectations. Dock is a must for a good Continuum experience. I don't really have battery issue as some have claimed. The Quick Charging has lessened the battery concern. I felt the same with my Band. Short recharging time really helps. I watched some entertainment video programs via Edge on Continuum for 2.5 hours today. The battery started with 100% and ended with 100% also. The Dock has voided any battery issues. The HD video quality is simply fantastic. I'm thinking to cancel my Dish contract and also reduce my Comcast packages. It would save me close to $800 a year. Purchasing a L950XL is one of my best investments I have done this year.

That's cool that you're having a better experience than I dam. I plan on going tomorrow to return it at the microsoft store. I decided to give it another shot after shelving it for a few days and it still has the same problems as listed before. Started from no backup and then loaded up everything. Where I do agree that the quick charging would mitigate any battery concerns, I do not think carrying around the special ac adapter and having to charge midway through the day is conducive to a "mobile" experience.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
What problem?
I sold my 1520 due to the hardware problem that everyone was having as well, namely when trying to scrolling anywhere the phone detected double tap and started program and such. It was really annoying.

which variant of the 1520 did you have? other users on here have voiced the same lack of problems with their 1520.3 as I have had while others with the att variant do have a multitude of problems.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
which variant of the 1520 did you have? other users on here have voiced the same lack of problems with their 1520.3 as I have had while others with the att variant do have a multitude of problems.

Sorry dont remember but i did not buy if after a while so it should be .2 or .3 if i have to guess. Still i felt it was pretty sad that 2 big companies (Nokia and later Microsoft as they took over the business) never went out and confirmed the issue and offered a solution.
I wanted to order the 950XL but my work only allows for the cheaper model 950 which i think it perfectly fine considering the many problems with 810 chip. Looking forward this phone. I have both LG G4 and iPhone 6S plus and have been looking for contender from MS :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry dont remember but i did not buy if after a while so it should be .2 or .3
.2 and .3 aren't updates. They are for different markets. The .3 is an unlocked phone without all the AT&T crippling such as half the storage, no QI, etc. and all bands used in the US.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What problem?
I sold my 1520 due to the hardware problem that EVERYONE was having

He didn't mean everyone. Actually relatively few have problems. People tend to jump to conclusions because forums have disproportionate numbers of complaints. I'll bet half the people who join product forums do it to research a problem they are having. Do you see many posts that say "Hi, my name is xxxxx. I just joined to tell everyone my xxxxxx has been perfect"?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
1. thats good that youre having a better experience than I am.
2. Its the battery primarily. It drains much quicker than it should for being so large and this phone is not that significant of a step up from my 1520 that works perfectly fine. I dont mind wp10 being in development still since I enjoy finding bugs and reporting them but when you cant use your phone from when getting up in the morning until coming home from work with minimal to moderate usage thats a problem.
3. yea we will see. if no one bites then returning it to the msoft store. no harm no foul.

Strange. I use my phone a lot (930) with latest w10 updates and after 12 hours I still have about 6 hours remaining.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

David Bladen

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Same here it feels like my 930 battery life has doubled from 8.1 and the only app that shows a resume screen is the Guardian. Odd how W10 seems to be working better on older devices.

jonstewart

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I returned mine.

I wanted to love the phone and use Microsoft in my work and home. The phone feels cheap but I know it would. The case does not close around the phone properly and when I contact MS about it they were unsure what a lumia 950xl was. I am tired of giving my money and a lot of it to Microsoft. they have notoriously bad support and most times I cannot understand the MS support person when talking with them. Additional items are the lack of apps, which I also know but did not fully appreciate until I tried to use my Lumia as my only phone. If I wanted to carry around two phone I might keep the lumia.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't quite "get rid of" my 950XL, that sounds way too negative, but I did end up returning it. My unit had a couple of technical issues that I didn't want to wait around with, and the new "one swap only" policy on MS Complete didn't help either. Once the technical issues get fixed and the price drops substantially (or they fix MS Complete) I'll be happy to join the 950XL ranks again, because it was a pretty great phone otherwise.

LindenSims

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I am a Microsoft ******. I?ve used nothing but Windows mobile devices since they were called Palm PC?s. I bought my Lumia 1020 on day one and received one of the first Lumia 950 XL?s on November 25. I so wanted to love this phone but I have since returned it. Here?s why.
I use my phone regularly for email, driving, and voicemail. I?m used to swiping left and right between read and unread emails in three combined accounts on my 1020. The universal email app on the 950 was practically unusable for me since there was no unified inbox (and no ability to install insider builds), no swiping to see unread emails, and no images in the emails.
I use Here Drive for my commute. It?s not available on the 950 and neither is Google Maps. I wear trifocal glasses and Windows Hello just doesn?t work with them. It works great without glasses. If I just lifted my glasses for a second it would quickly recognize me, but not with the glasses. I guess I need a fingerprint reader. I have a couple of DT-910 wireless charging stands that won?t work with the 950 XL. But the real showstopper was that T-mobile visual voicemail doesn?t work. It works on my 1020 but not the 950.
Although my battery life was so-so I really liked the hardware. There?s not another phone that has all the hardware features I want like high-end camera, wireless charging, SD card, removable battery, camera button, etc. But giving up visual voicemail, a useable mail client, Here Drive or Google Maps, and my wireless charging stands felt more like a downgrade than an upgrade.
I was hopeful that Project Astoria was going to give me the best of two worlds by allowing side-loading of Android apps but that?s not going to happen. Nadella asks that we give him time to make the universal app plan work. I feel like I?ve been giving Microsoft a little more time for the past five years.
What disappoints me the most is that I?m unsatisfied with the software, not the hardware. This is a little surprising coming from a software company. I would be willing to stick with Windows 10 and allow it to mature if I could run Android apps and use visual voicemail. Sadly, Microsoft said no to both of these.
I guess I?ll hold on to my 1020 a little longer to see if Microsoft and T-mobile can work something out. If they don?t I?ll see what Samsung has to offer in February.

CraigGB

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Uh yes the grass really is greener on iPhone 6S. Great battery life, all the apps, ALL THE APPS. iOS does have some issues, but nothing deal-breaking.

my experience was very different, sadly I would say no mobile OS is in a great state but I'm surprised people are so quick to drop the new Lumia's without seeing what the next update or two do. Windows 10 Mobile was launched with the new phones before it is ready that is true, but I haven't had that many crashes or bugs, it is more battery hungry then it should be for sure however the last couple of insider builds are much much better on other phones then previous builds battery wise and stability wise so I'm hopeful that should be fixed soon, personally I think it has huge potential.

I would say that the original launch of iOS7 was okay, however iOS 8 and 9 were terrible, at launch both had battery issues, crashing issues, I experienced reboots, on my 6s Plus my home button would randomly become too hot to touch, it would reboot every other time I opened the camera, iCloud was broken. the phone was always warm and battery life sucked even after a hard reset with a fresh set up, the home button was fixed in the first update but battery life is still problematic now and even now after a few updates I wouldn't call it stable, in my experience iOS 8 was just as bad as Windows 10 Mobile is now when it launched. I consider iOS9 a stability update thankfully where they fixed a lot of it, still has a way to go though

same with Android, KitKat was a bit of a mess but it was a huge overhaul, battery was much worse then previous version along with stability and only with Marshmallow have they fixed this for the most part, it's a huge improvement in most areas., I just hope they don't go backwards in the next version

in my opinion this constant reinventing and heaps of new features being chucked in has resulted in all platforms being unstable, Windows Phone isn't the only one, both Android and iOS are going through the same thing, my hope is that Apple, Google and Microsoft start to focus on stability now they have brought about these huge overhauls to their respective platforms which it seems like they might be.

oh and personally for me yes iOS had more apps yet I couldn't find a Reddit client anywhere as good as Readit and the official YouTube app was awful compared to Metrotube and Mytube, seriously the official YouTube app is terrible, really really bad!, I'm now hoping Google don't make one for Windows Phone it was that bad, lately they updated it and it's even worse!, I would say I'm actually happier in regards to apps on Windows Phone overall, I don't play many games or use that many apps and yes I'm likely the only person in the world to say that I know. :p

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Lot many Lumias you have. Just one genuine question though. How do you identify exactly which phone is ringing when all those phones are lying around the house? I had only 3 lumias and was sick of running around checking all the phones when one rings since there is no way to set custom tones and only a few of the available default tones are really good.

I only have one sim and 9 out of 10 times the rest are dead and not even on Wifi.
Wife uses the 1520 (I think it's too big)
820 was a dev phone
920s have been retired (his and hers)
520 was a spare cheap phone just to have. I let my 2 year old play with it.
950 replaced my 930

1520 and 930 are going up for sale soon on ebay. They both have their share of issues and I don't want to hold onto them

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Your experience mirrors mine closely. After trying to use the 950XL for a week, I picked up my 1020 for the past two days and was reminded why I liked Windows phones. Just wiped my 950XL for the return. I too am considering Android, probably Motorola.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
my experience was very different, sadly I would say no mobile OS is in a great state but I'm surprised people are so quick to drop the new Lumia's without seeing what the next update or two do.

For the price I expected it to at least least be usable. My model was in the first shipment and I spent two days trying to work out the bugs... We are about halfway through my return window and I already have a different phone on the way to try out. Honestly, after struggling with it and trying for two days, I decided maybe I should research other options. I'm equally surprised people would beta test for brand loyalty.

David Bladen

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I think you have hit the nail on the head there. There is quite a difference between splashing out ?500 on a phone and installing beta software on an old phone, getting the same beta experience on a new phone is a bad idea.

Imagine if you had never had a windows phone before and you get a 950xl with all these problems. It's not going to convince you to stick with WP.

That being said, W10 is running like a dream on my 930 and gets better with every update.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
People shouldn't. I've been a Windows Phone supporter for five years, but Windows 10 mobile is SO awful I finally bailed and went Android.

Windows Phone is dead. Market share has plummeted to less than 2%, and it's not going to rise again. It's over, and it's Microsoft's fault, 100%. They did a terrible job of advertising and supporting the phones, and when it came time to upgrade the OS they gutted everything great about 8.1.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
This thread may yet scare me into canceling the pre-order (since 11/16 like others, but a slight issue cause me to catch the late 11/16 order with the 12/11 ship date).

oh and personally for me yes iOS had more apps yet I couldn't find a Reddit client anywhere as good as Readit and the official YouTube app was awful compared to Metrotube and Mytube, seriously the official YouTube app is terrible, really really bad!, I'm now hoping Google don't make one for Windows Phone it was that bad, lately they updated it and it's even worse!, I would say I'm actually happier in regards to apps on Windows Phone overall, I don't play many games or use that many apps and yes I'm likely the only person in the world to say that I know. :p

You are not the only one. I noted this when asked why I was buying another Windows Phone. Especially for a phone to get things done that I need for work and make phone calls, I will take Win Phone. Family with iPhones that to this day still have partial lockups (phone appears to be working) where calls don't come in. I need the phone to be a phone first. Mind you, scary thread about "reboots" of the 950 XL out there as well. But, I almost would rather have it auto reboot then partial lock like I have seen iOS do and miss a call completely. Sad I have to say that, but it's true. And Android devices are no perfect exception to that either.

As others have said, might be a bit yet. Heck, Monday is supposed to be first day of 950/950XL being able to be part of Insider Preview. Maybe a fix for some issues is already on the way. Maybe not, but if it is I will be on the lookout for cheap barely used 950's from you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs