Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Az

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 950xl on Black Friday. I'm keeping it.

However, I also have an iPhone 6s for work. Before I got the iPhone, I was seriously considering switching back to iOS due to feeling like a 2nd-class mobile citizen on WP8.1.

Now I can still exist with my 950xl, and if there's an app gap for some game or whatever that comes along, I can pick up the iPhone for a few minutes. I love my 950xl, and while I'm hardly a power user, I'm glad I made the purchase.

Tat3rs10

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what all the talk is about. My 950 XL has been great so far. My only problem was that images in emails were not appearing but that was patched the other day. Battery has found its sweet spot and lasts me a day and half. Button placement is still taking me some time to get used to but so far I love the device.

JK-SC

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I returned my 950XL, along with my spouse's 950. We had a lengthy list of features, many of them basic like alarms and the phone resting in the middle of business calls, that just caused us to say the phones were not worth the price we paid. IMO the hardware was also a bit flimsy when it came to the buttons and back. And the button placement on the 950 XL was poor - no idea why they changed it from previous versions.

Yes, I upgraded to 10.29 and gave that a try before I returned them. The daily alarms still failed to function on the 950. Personal tones for contacts still didn't work. Quiet hours still didn't work. My Groove library still failed to sync properly on my 950 XL and showed songs as downloaded then errored out when I tried to play them despite my annual pass. The list just goes on. And The phone randomly resting in the middle of calls was just flat out unacceptable. We had owned Windows phones for years, but now we've got "that other smart phone" and we'll see what Win phone look like in 2 years.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There lies the issue.. $650+tax to be a beta tester??
I personelly cancelled my order because I wasn't willing to do that, I chose to put WP10 on my 640XL and if I find I'm tired of the glitches and battery issues I can just revert back to 8.1, 950/950XL buyers don't have that luxury.. I paid $550 less to be a beta tester and have a life boat to fall back on where 950/950XL have 30 days to commit or return their phones..
I too love Windows Phones eco-system and will stay with it but I will not pay hundreds of dollars to be their tester, if they offered me the 950XL for $350 to do it might but I'd keep my 640XL just in case.

Sorry...this

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950 XL and so far I didn't face any problem and I'm very happy. Camera is brilliant but not as much detailled as the 1020 when zooming a lot on the pictures taken but much better than my 930. However the camera is incredibly fast. OS is very stable. Phone call quality is equal or better than my 930. The phone itself does not really feel premium but I'm sure this is going to change with the Mozo case I ordered.

Continuum is very brilliant too. Excellent idea.

spe317

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I will be keeping mine. I'm switching over to W10M from ios. I'm tired of my phone crapping out after 2 years. I've had 3 phones. I had an original 3g, 4, and 5. I want the hardware found on the device. I'm not concerned about the OS being less than perfect because I know its a continual process. The fact that they care enough about users to actively seek out suggestions illustrates their approach. The possibilities of having all my devices tied together and unified is too tempting to pass up, even if I can't have it now.

I'm not necessarily a heavy phone user but no clue how you run through the battery that quickly. My iPhone 5 would run down quickly after 18 months. Planned obsolescence turns me off.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm not the OP, but I got rid of my 950 XL yesterday due to the Bluetooth related reboots that weren't fixed with the update. I don't think I have to deal with such problems for 699 EUR.

Adrian Edwards3

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I am sorry but the 950xl is the best handset on the market and microsoft are the ultimate software geniuses, they have literally some of the smartest people on the planet working for them and you can be sure any teething problems will be ironed out quick sharp. I just witnessed this with the new windows 10 update for xbox one from buggy preview to butter smooth in a week.

leaving now is a major mistake ios is overpriced sheep bait and android is just a mess, mass market mess for sure but still a mess.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, attempting to get back on topic here.

[INFO]People who are experiencing software/firmware issues with the phone should really be leaving that feedback to Microsoft using the Windows Feedback app on the phone. The WF app is the best way of reporting problems and MS uses the metrics there to prioritise fixes. By all means rant here on WC, but leave feedback in the app, it's really important.

As with any new device, we expect there to be updates and fixes at some point soon.

If you have hardware issues, then of course you need to work those out through warranty.

If you have issues with Windows 10 Mobile, it's recommended that you post in the relevant sections of the forum (oddly enough, other phones also are running Windows 10 Mobile and not everyone on the forum is reading this thread...)

[/INFO]

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I received my Lumia 950 dual sim 2 days ago. Perhaps I was lucky and installed the latest update before using it. Impressions so far:
* battery showed 68% left after 13 hours of undocking the charger. Admittedly light use, since I was in meetings most of the day. My former Samsung Note 3 was more or less dead after 4 hours. (Perhaps I could have change battery...)
* I have found most apps that I need, no serious problems
* phone quality is fine for me. To me, it is a (smart) phone, not display thing. My old Lumia 920 appeared more solid, but I am perfectly happy with this one
* the screen is noticeably smaller than my previous Samsung Note 3 -- I should perhaps have ordered the 950 xl in hindsight. On the other hand, the 950 is cheaper, making it possible to update after less time.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
* phone quality is fine for me. To me, it is a (smart) phone, not display thing. My old Lumia 920 appeared more solid, but I am perfectly happy with this one
* the screen is noticeably smaller than my previous Samsung Note 3 -- I should perhaps have ordered the 950 xl in hindsight. On the other hand, the 950 is cheaper, making it possible to update after less time.

You do have 30 days to return it and get the 950XL, like you once I went to the Note its hard to go back to the smaller screen size lol.. It is a shame being the new flagship they skimped on the back cover, reports of it squeaking and such due to it being too thin and not fitting correctly just shouldn't be, not even if it was a mid range phone :(

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Very Soon

Have been using it for almost a week now and already thinking about returning it back. Some of the key issues -
1 - Gets very very hot while charging and using it for more than 10 mins
2 - Battery life - Okay its fast charging, large battery, but it doesn't last for more than 8-10 hours for me. Now that doesn't complete my day
3 - Overall Windows 10 is still buggy and not a finished product. A few notifications I got and clicked on, didnt turn up anything. Multitasking puts a huge pressure on the phone it freezes and becomes extremely hot
4 - Camera is actually 16 MP if you are clicking in 16:9 aspect ratio. Even on 4:3 its 19 MP and not 20 as Microsoft claims/sells. Tricking customers to buy MS?
5 - Windows Hello - another joke added by Microsoft against the already established finger print scanner on other devices. Hello is still buggy, doesn't work with glasses on (which is a big no for me) and you look like a fool staring at screen to unlock. I have turned it off and using the good old pass-code typing instead.
6 - Overall build is okay, although doesn't feel like holding a flagship device, but that's more of a personal preference.

I really hope that this phone shows up some value before I decide to dump it over. So far it haven't lived up-to its expectations.

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok, attempting to get back on topic here.

[INFO]People who are experiencing software/firmware issues with the phone should really be leaving that feedback to Microsoft using the Windows Feedback app on the phone. The WF app is the best way of reporting problems and MS uses the metrics there to prioritise fixes. By all means rant here on WC, but leave feedback in the app, it's really important.

As with any new device, we expect there to be updates and fixes at some point soon.

If you have hardware issues, then of course you need to work those out through warranty.

If you have issues with Windows 10 Mobile, it's recommended that you post in the relevant sections of the forum (oddly enough, other phones also are running Windows 10 Mobile and not everyone on the forum is reading this thread...)

[/INFO]

Microsoft is not "listening" to this feedback. From the highest upvoted suggestion and problem items, Microsoft rarely addresses those that are reasonable at the very least and have been high in the "trending" filter since the feedback app launched.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is not "listening" to this feedback. From the highest upvoted suggestion and problem items, Microsoft rarely addresses those that are reasonable at the very least and have been high in the "trending" filter since the feedback app launched.

Microsoft DOES use the metrics they get out of the feedback tool, it's not just there for fun. Granted, items they work on need to be appropriate to their design and security philosophy. I know you have your own point of view, but speaking as someone with contacts within Microsoft, I know that the feedback app provides valuable information.

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
After two weeks, I have used the 950 XL to its very limit and it does not begin to replace what I can do WITHOUT apps on Android or iOS, mainly due to the atrocious Edge browser. I will still be using my 640 to continue to follow Windows 10 Mobile's progression, but at this time, spending $650+ on a device whose browser is its Achilles heel seems foolish. I like the removable battery and sd card slot and feel those should always trump design, but the current state of the operating system negates the value in the newer hardware. Microsoft simply is not responding to reasonable feedback in the WIndows Feedback app - Sinofsky may not be there physically anymore, but his spirit still infects the place. Microsoft's Windows Feedback app is a placebo to make people feel better. But is Microsoft really listening? Based on updates with useless features (sort by date added in Groove? WTF?!?! Effort could be wasted on more useful but un-asked for things), no Microsoft isn't listening.

Last edited:

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft DOES use the metrics they get out of the feedback tool, it's not just there for fun. Granted, items they work on need to be appropriate to their design and security philosophy. I know you have your own point of view, but speaking as someone with contacts within Microsoft, I know that the feedback app provides valuable information.

Metrics? Ask your "contacts" what of the CONTENT of the feedback is being used other than the metrics? There are issues unaddressed going back to the start of the Windows Insider and Windows Feedback program that aren't being addressed. You can collect metrics all day, but it makes about as much sense to do as does the NSA collecting bulk data with no real insight when the content is right in front of them, but they'd rather focus on metadata that tells them nothing. Grabbing the low hanging fruit isn't always a bad thing, but when the content is being ignored, you're grasping at air.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Very Soon

Have been using it for almost a week now and already thinking about returning it back. Some of the key issues -
1 - Gets very very hot while charging and using it for more than 10 mins
2 - Battery life - Okay its fast charging, large battery, but it doesn't last for more than 8-10 hours for me. Now that doesn't complete my day
3 - Overall Windows 10 is still buggy and not a finished product. A few notifications I got and clicked on, didnt turn up anything. Multitasking puts a huge pressure on the phone it freezes and becomes extremely hot
4 - Camera is actually 16 MP if you are clicking in 16:9 aspect ratio. Even on 4:3 its 19 MP and not 20 as Microsoft claims/sells. Tricking customers to buy MS?
5 - Windows Hello - another joke added by Microsoft against the already established finger print scanner on other devices. Hello is still buggy, doesn't work with glasses on (which is a big no for me) and you look like a fool staring at screen to unlock. I have turned it off and using the good old pass-code typing instead.
6 - Overall build is okay, although doesn't feel like holding a flagship device, but that's more of a personal preference.

I really hope that this phone shows up some value before I decide to dump it over. So far it haven't lived up-to its expectations.

Hello works just fine with glasses. Also work pretty consistently through my polarized sun glasses. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but it's still beta

Haven't had my phone get VERY VERY hot at all. I had it get warm, but never as hot as my 930 or 920s

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
After two weeks, I have used the 950 XL to its very limit and it does not begin to replace what I can do WITHOUT apps on Android or iOS, mainly due to the atrocious Edge browser. I will still be using my 640 to continue to follow Windows 10 Mobile's progression, but at this time, spending $650+ on a device whose browser is its Achilles heel seems foolish. I like the removable battery and sd card slot and feel those should always trump design, but the current state of the operating system negates the value in the newer hardware. Microsoft simply is not responding to reasonable feedback in the WIndows Feedback app - Sinofsky may not be there physically anymore, but his spirit still infects the place. Microsoft's Windows Feedback app is a placebo to make people feel better. But is Microsoft really listening? Based on updates with useless features (sort by date added in Groove? WTF?!?! Effort could be wasted on more useful but un-asked for things), no it isn't listening.

To its very limit? How's continuum? Did you try it wireless vs wired? Hows the response with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached? How did you like the continuum look on the screen? Projector? Did you see if you could project a movie or presentation and listen to music and browse at the same time? What was that experience like? Laggy?

What limit are you talking about? Games... texting... browsing... multi-tasking? You do know different people work on different apps/features?

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I tried continuum briefly to via wireless to my tv last night. (Dock is on back order). I was pleasantly surprised. Was it snappy, no, was it usable yes, I opened a word document, moved around it with the phone, paired a mouse and used that to navigate fine, there was lag on the mouse but not extreme and you could certainly use it. I haven't paired a keyboard yet, but will do soon just to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99