Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhm

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
My 950xl doesn't get nearly as hot as my S4, and the battery lasts at least 3 times as long. I have one minor issue with the SIM losing its LTE provisioning when I switched it from SIM1 to SIM2 but I gather that is my Bell provider and an unlocked phone issue which could be resolved over the phone if I could stand talking to Bell support, which I can't so I'll get it done at Bell store.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I love all the comments about how buttery smooth iOS and Crapdroid are. iOS 9 had plenty of warts when it first hit. Let's not talk about the iTunes updates screwing up your entire media library over the years.

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
To its very limit? How's continuum? Did you try it wireless vs wired? Hows the response with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached? How did you like the continuum look on the screen? Projector? Did you see if you could project a movie or presentation and listen to music and browse at the same time? What was that experience like? Laggy?

What limit are you talking about? Games... texting... browsing... multi-tasking? You do know different people work on different apps/features?

This was just my opinion, but thanks for your questions.

How's continuum? Unnecessary to me. My SP3 is always at hand and far exceeds the "flexibility" Continuum claims to offer.
Did you try it wireless vs wired? Both. Neither method improves upon what I am able to do without it, whether I am at home or mobile.
Hows the response with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached? I used a desktop Microsoft ergonomic bluetooth keyboard and mouse. They worked fine with no issues, mind you, they pair directly with the 950/950XL, Continuum or not.
How did you like the continuum look on the screen? I didn't like the look. I don't hate it either, but it's nothing to write home about.
Projector? Projection worked fine. I have an older Philips projector with HDMI input. Not really a big usage case for me, but it worked as could be expected with any device capable of using a projector (My Nexus with a Chromecast dongle does mostly the same Continuum-like things here, but, again, it's never a scenario for me)
Did you see if you could project a movie or presentation and listen to music and browse at the same time? What was that experience like? Laggy? That is not a worthwhile scenario for me and not a specific multi-tasking capability Microsoft claims Continuum will do today i.e. not a legitimate argument for something to have been tested or tried "to the limit". Theoretically, I guess that would work. Try it for yourself if you think that's what you'll want your 950/950XL to routinely do for you. Using the phone screen and working on my monitor simultaneously was not laggy, but not really important to be doing in grand scheme of things with having a real computer that would take less of a hassle to use. Outlook and Office apps work sufficiently and Edge at least opens up (but Edge is the Achilles heel of this mobile operating system, as it's unable to properly render HTML5 and javascript functionality on many of the mobile and desktop versions of sites I use. Chase.com hardly works properly in Edge).
What limit are you talking about? Games... texting... browsing... multi-tasking? All of those, plus user acceptance case scenarios that Microsoft doesn't seem to include in its thinking before it decides to gut apps and unnecessarily re-architect cognitively healthy user experiences. I work in a Scrum environment and have to take this into consideration during scope-of-work development as well as at every milestone in reviewing performance and impact of changes or intended enhancements on workflows.
You do know different people work on different apps/features? I was born yesterday. Thanks for catching me up. /s

Ubuntu tried this "Continuum" gimmick a few years ago. I feel no better/different about the concept after using Continuum. In my opinion, it's a subpar thin client solution that requires infrastructure wherever you think you'll want to use it. I may sell the Continuum dock on eBay (or on the street in exchange for a pair of socks if no one wants it online).

Dutchcheese

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Congratulacion,
For years I have been using S3, S4, and latest S5 duos and a tablet Note 4. What did me decide to go for the Lumia 950 XL dual sim was that I wanted a bit more proffesional software using the same as on my lap and desktop. Expected the same windows 10 I have on my computer, I mean same apps for example, but lack lots of programs I was using, like my bank, International news papers I was used to (7 from 4 different countries) and have been seriously disappointed in this they are not available for my Lumia 950 XL. Glitches? quite a few like a screen popping op at regular times saying that no storage is available, but only 6 gb used and tells me to take some apps to the sd card. Updating the phone is not possible it hangs at the download screen at 0% and that is it. So no improvement. Using the keyboard is also not an easy task and when I write something in one of the apps mail or letter and you accidentally touch the home button you lost it all and restarting the typing again. Look the phone was really sexy to me, but for the moment it is impossible to be used and back on my android phone. MS is not yet ready for me.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
the update will go, it is very slow and the % meter doesn't seem to work quite right. My update took over 2 hours on wifi. Wonder if their servers are maxed out.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have no issue with the OS (other than its willingness to give up on downloading apps and tracks) but as I said on another thread - am disappointed with the actual device. Having to take off the back and remove the battery to install the SIM card is very retro or cheap. The case also squeaks when given a gentle squeeze in either bottom corner - I googled this and found I wasn't alone. This just should not be an issue, it's almost like MS wants this to fail so that once the Surface phone appears it will be the only model of device they will offer and there'll only be one or two SKUs per year following Apples business model.

Your joking i hope! Having access to battery and being able to change the back cover is awesome i think. All the aluminum fetish everyone are having is beyond me. I do have both iphone 6 and LG G4 and just got my 950. One reason i like this phone is due to the fact it has the plastic cover offering removable battery and SD. I do hate the iPhone aluminum, i always have a case on i because it scratches sooooo easily and looks awe full.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This was just my opinion, but thanks for your questions.

Funny I read through every one of your posts and you did not specifically mention a single problem just vague complaining about Edge.

What is specifically so wrong with Windows Phone/Edge that make iOS and Android more usable even without apps?

wisedesi

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Congratulacion,
For years I have been using S3, S4, and latest S5 duos and a tablet Note 4. What did me decide to go for the Lumia 950 XL dual sim was that I wanted a bit more proffesional software using the same as on my lap and desktop. Expected the same windows 10 I have on my computer, I mean same apps for example, but lack lots of programs I was using, like my bank, International news papers I was used to (7 from 4 different countries) and have been seriously disappointed in this they are not available for my Lumia 950 XL. Glitches? quite a few like a screen popping op at regular times saying that no storage is available, but only 6 gb used and tells me to take some apps to the sd card. Updating the phone is not possible it hangs at the download screen at 0% and that is it. So no improvement. Using the keyboard is also not an easy task and when I write something in one of the apps mail or letter and you accidentally touch the home button you lost it all and restarting the typing again. Look the phone was really sexy to me, but for the moment it is impossible to be used and back on my android phone. MS is not yet ready for me.

Why people even buy windows phone if they have to complain about apps.
You can just checkout on the app store before hand to see if the apps you use are available or not before actually buying the phone. :cool:

Chaitanya Polumetla

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to love the 950XL, wanted a refreshing change from iOS so preordered it. After two days of using it, I had to let it go. The whole experience is a beta experience, the apps feel like they are in beta, the windows phone OS feels like a beta version, hardware feels like the old Nexus 5 (except the camera which is simply the best out there), lack of quality apps (even the Microsoft apps feel like beta compared to their iOS and Andriod counterparts. Why pay $650 for a beta device. Some other day, we will talk

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Funny I read through every one of your posts and you did not specifically mention a single problem just vague complaining about Edge.

I've already shared the nuts and bolts as well as the superficial issues I find in Microsoft Edge and the rest of the OS via the Windows Feedback app for Microsoft to address.

What is specifically so wrong with Windows Phone/Edge that make iOS and Android more usable even without apps?

Just as a sample, when viewing most of the sites I use (and develop) in absence of a native or web application, Edge is very jumpy, slow to respond, or inoperable in scrolling, selecting text to copy/paste text in fields in the browser view is terrible, certain sites freeze the entire device if certain HTML5/CSS/JavaScript functions exceed Edge's capabilities I encounter in comparison to being able to development for webkit, gecko, etc., vs IE and separately Edge (for which there is a weird collection of incapabilities for any browser in 2015). That isn't the totality of my "vague complaining" of Edge alone, but that's partly the issue of Edge and the OS as a whole.

While I will still have the 640 to test the ongoing development, I will be retrieving the $650+protection plan costs spent on the 950XL, as great as it is to have a "new" device for Windows Phone, Microsoft should have offered a downgrade option to 8.1 like they did for people who bought Windows 8 laptops to be able to downgrade to Windows 7. As for the OS, as disappointing as it is right now, it's not "goodbye Windows Mobile forever". It's "I'll see you occasionally when you've gotten better at landscaping."

Last edited by a moderator:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried to charge the phone with a non fast charging adapter? if you still complain that the phones gets hot when charging..I'm sure you can use a normal Nokia adapter withthe provided usb type a-type c cable

vlknff

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It makes me laugh when people are angry that they get a glitchy phone after spending soooo much money. Fact is the OS you are getting on your 500$ 950XL phone is no different than the OS I am getting for my 20$ lumia 640. And in fact my 640 hasn't glitched at all. And come on people look at iPhone(moderate amount) or even worse android- its a minefield of glitches, random battery drainage and what not.

The concept that the more you pay the less bugs you should expect is invalid. Any device you buy ESPECIALLY newly released hardware cramped phone like the 950XL - you should expect the unexpected.

bottomline, all software has its fits. And all we can do is report the problem and wait for a fix. Its what technology consumers have been doing for last 20 years.

PS. I connected my Bluetooth mouse to my 640 and had a cursor, its hilariouus !!!

PS PS admin - all good with this post?

cesar ruiz1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
True all phones have bugs when released but the 950/XL phones are just bad, Android lollipop was bad when it came out but still usable and Google fixed it a couple of months later it was still bad but usable. The Lumia 1520 got partially fixed almost 8 months later and still 2 years later if you're running Windows phone 8.1 it still has a couple of bugs. I got the At&t 950 and I was gonna give it to my mom but I gave it a test drive, battery life is awful, reboots 5 times a day, too many apps hang or just force close, camera is not so great I returned it 9 later. Point is Microsoft is very bad handling their mobile software.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry but the 950xl is the best handset on the market and microsoft are the ultimate software geniuses, they have literally some of the smartest people on the planet working for them and you can be sure any teething problems will be ironed out quick sharp. I just witnessed this with the new windows 10 update for xbox one from buggy preview to butter smooth in a week.

leaving now is a major mistake ios is overpriced sheep bait and android is just a mess, mass market mess for sure but still a mess.

How is it a mess? I am serious.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I tried continuum briefly to via wireless to my tv last night. (Dock is on back order). I was pleasantly surprised. Was it snappy, no, was it usable yes, I opened a word document, moved around it with the phone, paired a mouse and used that to navigate fine, there was lag on the mouse but not extreme and you could certainly use it. I haven't paired a keyboard yet, but will do soon just to see.

The lag is from the wireless connection to the tv. Happens even with my surface pro. This will be more useful when wireless is faster. Until then continuum can't replace a laptop because you have to carry too much stuff around with you. But one day it will be awesome.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I really wanted to love the 950XL, wanted a refreshing change from iOS so preordered it. After two days of using it, I had to let it go. The whole experience is a beta experience, the apps feel like they are in beta, the windows phone OS feels like a beta version, hardware feels like the old Nexus 5 (except the camera which is simply the best out there), lack of quality apps (even the Microsoft apps feel like beta compared to their iOS and Andriod counterparts. Why pay $650 for a beta device. Some other day, we will talk

After using an lgv10 for a day- windows phone 8.1 was beta, wm10 is alpha software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett