Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
AKA Firmware update.

At the moment, as the problems are not confirmed officially in any way, we have no indication whether they are OS, firmware or hardware related nor if they will be solved at all. Like I said, for this money I invested far too much of my time to find a solution. I also waited for the first bugfix release, obviously targeted at the new devices. But it did not include a firmware update unfortunately, should this be necessary. I could not wait any longer as I had only 14 days to return the thing to my online retailer and I definitely don't want to send it to the repair service later. I knew that the OS was not ready when I ordered, but nevertheless I actually wanted to use it a bit, which was impossible sometimes due to the reboots. How could one expect more patience from a paying customer? Supposedly if he isn't in the same situation...

For the record again: I am back to my 1520 and it is a rock solid device with a larger screen, far better viewing angle, much longer battery life, double tap to wake, super sensitive touch, no reboots, ... And 699 EUR more in the wallet...

Chef316

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
1. thats good that youre having a better experience than I am.
2. Its the battery primarily. It drains much quicker than it should for being so large and this phone is not that significant of a step up from my 1520 that works perfectly fine. I dont mind wp10 being in development still since I enjoy finding bugs and reporting them but when you cant use your phone from when getting up in the morning until coming home from work with minimal to moderate usage thats a problem.
3. yea we will see. if no one bites then returning it to the msoft store. no harm no foul.

My 925 running W10M lasts me a whole regular day 10 hour shift with playing music and all. Maybe you need todo some more tinkering with the background apps and such to optimize battery usage. Or do a hard reset and start over with a clean slate. Maybe there is a certain app draining battery needlessly??

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
All this fresh install business reminds me of like windows 98 which was the last OS I routinely had to reinstall to bring up to speed. This is 2015. You shouldn't need to factory reset a device unless you are doing something you know risks messing it up.

I switched to android. Me telling you that so far I have no problems and that it is the fastest phone I have used, is like you telling me that my problems with the 950xl are not real. I almost stuck out out and tried to work through it- but the visual voicemail and reboot issues were too much.

In the end, the problem is more than the app gap. My phone feels like stepping into the future. Things I thought were just invented in WM10 already exist in lollipop. One example was sliding over the keyboard. I was showing that of to my wife the first day I had it on the 950. On android it shrinks the entire screen to be more thumb friendly.

On the hardware side I have everything the 950 has touted as the best ever. Like the same processor, removable back, battery, sd card, excellent camera, qi charging. I get over a day on a charge. I have an infrared remote to control my television. I have a fingerprint scanner instead of an iris scanner. Continuum is the only thing not existing, but I can run two apps on my screen simultaneously in split screen. I can even raise some apps in transparent overlays so I can see information on 3 apps simultaneously.

Throw on top the app gap and it would seem a no brainer. I can finally control my home security, deposit a check, use work related references, stream any media I want (amazon prime for example), control my home theater. I actually get Twitter notifications. I can pay with my phone. The only app I even miss is a chess app I liked that is windows exclusive and the move forced me to switch chrome to my default browser to sync my bookmarks. Speaking of chrome, do you know that the internet on your phone can just work? I just accepted for years that internet didn't display correctly.

The list goes on. I lose continuum but I gain so much more; and who is carrying around a display dock, keyboard, and mouse to replace their laptop, it would be just easier to take my surface with me.

Good bye windows phone and blindly following. Hello to a world where I make decisions based on facts and reasoning. Hate all you want.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Cheeky_47

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame you had such a negative experience with your 950. I have had none of these problems with my 950XL but if I did, (especially rebooting), I would exchange the phone and try again, this is NOT normal behaviour for this device. I sold my Note 4 to get this phone and don't regret any of it but I'm not a huge user of apps, I just love the OS and the integration with W10.

Oddly enough I find that I can stream any media I want to my Xbox so that isn't an issue and I find the iris scanner amazing, every bit as responsive as the fingerprint scanner on the Note, often better, I get a day out of a single charge and I consider myself a reasonably heavy user, (though apparently the XL is better re the battery than the 950).

I loved the Note, it was a good phone, very quick and heaps of apps but the stuttering that is ever-present in Android used to annoy the hell out of me and the delay for upgrades was maddening. It was mandatory for me to restart the phone every morning to ensure it would run as smooth as possible, (though that wasn't really too much of a hassle...).

Good luck with your new Android phone, sounds like it was the right choice for you. :)

WPuser2012

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list , disgusting half baked potato OS , 1) you connect to the bluetooth and you decided to speak on your handset --> you are done ( enter the dragon ) , 2) battery drains so freaking fast ( disabled hey cortana and windows hello and i have 10 apps installed ) , 3) you uninstall a app --> decided to install it back , APP store shows that the app is installed :( , need to reboot the phone , 4) For the first time i felt Camera sucks on windows phone after using all the nokia versions 5) FACEBOOK never shows updated posts, you need to drag drag drag drag for updates 6) SKYPE sucks on windows 10 if you have noticed --> no way comparision for IOS ANDROID to windows phone 7) TEXT messaging always shows only top 20 conversations --> if you need more to see , you have to open a text conversation and then hit back button and scroll down , 8) 9) 10) 11) 12) ...... goes on and on and on and on ......#SATYANADELLASUCKS

Cheeky_47

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you re Facebook, they seriously need to get the new app out ASAP!

But the other problems I don't experience, what do you mean about the text messages?? I don't understand...

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Its better to leave if you don't have the patience.. Can't you see the efforts they are taking. I trust ms. They will solve these problems

ya, you've only been waiting for 5 years now, for anything, what's another 5? patience grasshoppa, patience. Maybe they will fix the OS and work on their own native apps to make them half as good as they are on iOS and android.
I am kind of kidding, kind of not. I wanted this OS to make it So, So badly. if you took away all app stores, MS OS blows away iOS and android.
MS let ballmar nearly destroy MS and the new guy is clueless as well. universal apps will never work. Wrong idea. maybe he next OS reboot will be better.... lol

Ashwin J Pillai

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
My friend apps will come. Trust me there were only half of the apps available in wp8 as compared to wp10. All these seen in my 3 years of using windows phone. Patience eventually pays.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My friend apps will come. Trust me there were only half of the apps available in wp8 as compared to wp10. All these seen in my 3 years of using windows phone. Patience eventually pays.

There might be some new ones, but not twice as many. It also isn't just numbers, quality matters. The OS HAS nice features like drive mode that are missing on others, but when it comes to your phone making your life easier, there is no comparison. For example, my home security went out and I only found out because of my android app. Otherwise, I may not have known.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ashwin J Pillai

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Apps will come only if there is a good user base. And of the less people who buys it leaves for Android citing app gap problem. It's ok they leave but they just points out the flaws in the phone making other users reluctant to buy it. So the % share of wp users stays low and developers ignores this os

Dutchcheese

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Promised to come back. Lumia 950 XL not updating for 30 hours. Since it was totally blocked and useless I got itchy fingers and decided to to a factory reset. After backing up I removed the sd card and went trough the whole process of starting new. IT WORKED. It did the update at ones and now battery is cool, does not drain and still conserves 80% of battery after light working with it for 6 hours. Good job Gentlemen.! Still have points which will not be resolved which is compatibility HR bands and phone I have are not working with 950XL they should be only Fitbit. I Like the phone very much.......... if i only could get it back to run Android. For me it is just a phone with some extras. With the Android I did it all and changed because I thought with windows I would get something more professional. It did not work for me and take the blame.

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello works just fine with glasses. Also work pretty consistently through my polarized sun glasses. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but it's still beta

Haven't had my phone get VERY VERY hot at all. I had it get warm, but never as hot as my 930 or 920s

Probably my eyesight is more twisted than yours. so hello works well with your glasses :winktongue:

I wonder if Microsoft will be coming up with some glasses threshold with which Hello works..

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to love the 950XL, wanted a refreshing change from iOS so preordered it. After two days of using it, I had to let it go. The whole experience is a beta experience, the apps feel like they are in beta, the windows phone OS feels like a beta version, hardware feels like the old Nexus 5 (except the camera which is simply the best out there), lack of quality apps (even the Microsoft apps feel like beta compared to their iOS and Andriod counterparts. Why pay $650 for a beta device. Some other day, we will talk

Absolutely agree with your beta comment. Today morning I was telling one of my friends the same thing that this entire experience is so beta. It would have been better if Microsoft had worked on this build till March and come up with a finished product. Paying ?500 for a beta device doesn't make any sense and I may be returning mine very soon

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
i left windows os after 3 horrible years. now i have a cheap desire 816G phone and i can't be more happy! android os is changed. smooth as hell.. and full of perfect apps.. stop your pain... leave this doomed os

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Add me to the list , disgusting half baked potato OS , 1) you connect to the bluetooth and you decided to speak on your handset --> you are done ( enter the dragon ) , 2) battery drains so freaking fast ( disabled hey cortana and windows hello and i have 10 apps installed ) , 3) you uninstall a app --> decided to install it back , APP store shows that the app is installed :( , need to reboot the phone , 4) For the first time i felt Camera sucks on windows phone after using all the nokia versions 5) FACEBOOK never shows updated posts, you need to drag drag drag drag for updates 6) SKYPE sucks on windows 10 if you have noticed --> no way comparision for IOS ANDROID to windows phone 7) TEXT messaging always shows only top 20 conversations --> if you need more to see , you have to open a text conversation and then hit back button and scroll down , 8) 9) 10) 11) 12) ...... goes on and on and on and on ......#SATYANADELLASUCKS

100% agree with all your points, but the camera one. For me the camera is the only thing I like in my 950 XL. Coming from iphone 6, I find it pretty good. Having said that, just the camera doesnt tick all the boxes for a smartphone. Overall the Windows 10 mobile experience and their latest devices sucks so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb