Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to add since my name was on this list.

I returned my 950XL device today. It was good not great. I did have some of the other issues like two reboots and an edge freeze but other than that, the experience reminded me of my Surface Book. The announcement of a Surface Phone led to making the return a easier decision.

I will alternate between my 6S+, My 1520 on Insider 10.1 and my 920 on Insider 10.1.

I'm hopeful Microsoft will improve but just like the Surface products, it might take a couple iterations to get it finally right.

My name should be on that list as well. My story is out there. And on here too I think.

SaidOro

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new here. Anyways, i'm getting really worried about what all of you have comment about the Lumia 950XL . I just bought one, i've had windows phone since the 7, and i'm really hopefull about this device. But reading you guys...is it really that bad? When i went to try it at the store i felt some -sound- in the case, like it's not fitting well...but thats it. I've been using my 640XL by six months now and had no problem(big one) also i have insider 10.1 installed, some bugs but nothing to worry...so for all of you guys...is the 640XL better??? Is this means, i did a terrible mistake on buying a 950XL?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, new here. Anyways, i'm getting really worried about what all of you have comment about the Lumia 950XL . I just bought one, i've had windows phone since the 7, and i'm really hopefull about this device. But reading you guys...is it really that bad? When i went to try it at the store i felt some -sound- in the case, like it's not fitting well...but thats it. I've been using my 640XL by six months now and had no problem(big one) also i have insider 10.1 installed, some bugs but nothing to worry...so for all of you guys...is the 640XL better??? Is this means, i did a terrible mistake on buying a 950XL?

Not a terrible mistake, it's a better phone as of HW components. Just that you cannot revert to 8.1 in case 10 is buggy, and it is..a lot buggy. If you are lucky enough to not have the reboot issues, good for you :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No, you haven't. There's been a few issues with a few phones in a few use cases. As seen in Joe's post above, there's a relatively small amount of users who have decided to return their devices for one reason or another.

The rest of the discussion here isn't related to people wanting to return their devices and more to do with people who don't like Windows 10 Mobile and generally using this thread as a chat window for general malcontent. You'll get a better idea of people's issue with the phone from looking at other threads. If people do have problems, it's likely down to use of Bluetooth, SD cards not playing nice, or overheating.

In summary, don't use the volume of posts in this thread as any kind of indications that there's a lot wrong with the 950XL.

I've also used Windows Phone ever since the start of WP7, I've never had a reason to even think of swapping to another platform.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
After reading all the positives and negatives on 950 XL I've decided to pass on it and ordered a S6 Edge Plus.
It's a damn shame though, as I really like Windows as an OS (I currently own a 1520).
But, I'm not giving up on Windows forever. I've decided to wait until hopefully they announce Surface Phone. Microsoft is a large company, they can take losses and punch through with brute force, just like they did with Surface tablets. After years of losses, they are finally turning around the tables.
I'm pretty sure they will do the same with Windows 10 Phone, as it's too good of an OS to just let it die. It just needs more apps and perhaps some more customization (typing on a phone is very important and their keyboard sucks for bilingual people).

IANOR

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I am sending back my 950XL also.

Its been almost two weeks, but i lost patience waiting un updates, or some kind of wonder wich would fix the crackling back cover, or the sharp edged buttons. I am also not ready to pay another 60 euros for a mozo cover.
Lots of software issues, no update showing, constant bluetooth restarts. No word from M$ about my dock either.
I tried to love it, really. Some things are great, but its over.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am sending back my 950XL also.

Its been almost two weeks, but i lost patience waiting un updates, or some kind of wonder wich would fix the crackling back cover, or the sharp edged buttons. I am also not ready to pay another 60 euros for a mozo cover.
Lots of software issues, no update showing, constant bluetooth restarts. No word from M$ about my dock either.
I tried to love it, really. Some things are great, but its over.

This is a bad time of year to expect updates due to lots of people being off work towards the end of December. Your dock will ship in 8-12 weeks from the time you ordered it which you would have been aware of at the time, and you are not going to get any replacement for your stock cover creaking unfortunately.

Last edited:

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Your dock will ship in 8-12 weeks from the time you ordered it which you would have been aware of at the time,

I am in the UK and got my 950 XL on 8th December. Ordered the dock on 11th December and got an email from MS that its shipped on 14th December. So on the site they do mention 8-12 weeks as expected, but looks like they are shipping it really fast. I may get mine in a ccouple of days now.

Cheers

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems likely that there's a certain amount of stock for the display docks reserved for pre-order customers and those are shipping almost immediately. I guess that the 8-12 week estimate is for new orders.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Being an early adopter is always fun. I've had expected results with both of my 950xls. All of my issues are software related and I expect will be sorted out. My biggest complaint. The thing is too light and thin!

These phones were for the fans. If you are a fan, you should have known what you are getting yourself into. Stop crying about how expensive it is. I have my frustrations with MS, but I'm being as patient as I can.

If your phone has ridiculously bad battery life, runs hot, crashes ect... It's a bad phone, simple as that.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, stop with the getting personal on things.

We need to realise that some people are having issues with the phone. Some of these issues should be fixed with an update, some may need to be returned. This is the first run of a new device and no one should be surprised that things might not always be ringed in a halo of gold.

There is no need at all for people to start arguing and attacking one another.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Still loving my phone and its getting better each day.

Battery life has been amazing for 2 weeks now. I play the crap out of Bridge Constructor and Water yet have still not managed to kill my battery.
It comes off the charger every morning at 7am and goes back on the charger no sooner than 11pm.

Little quirks have slowly been being taken care of. Email images now show properly, I did not need to do anything to make this happen.
Sometimes the WiFi sense freaks out (seems to happen only in extremely high traffic areas, example at best buy during holiday shopping rush) but if you forget the network it fixes itself and will reconnect.
Cortana bluetooth in the car is working completely now although every now and then she decides not to let me reply. So I turn her off and back on to get her working again.

Its not iOS perfect but its far more functional and not nearly as buggy as some of these naysayers would have you believe.

If you have an ounce of patience and a shred of troubleshooting capabilities you will be more than happy.

Things will improve and I am in no rush plus after using other platforms I know they are not perfect either so why switch?

People complaining about the buttons, just LOL at that. The buttons on my 950XL actually feel better than the ones on my 1520. Do I care they are not integrated into the device? NO actually I like that because if the button gets messed up I can just buy a new back cover. My sons iPhone 5S top power button is screwed up and there is nothing he can do about it.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
People complaining about the buttons, just LOL at that. The buttons on my 950XL actually feel better than the ones on my 1520. Do I care they are not integrated into the device? NO actually I like that because if the button gets messed up I can just buy a new back cover. My sons iPhone 5S top power button is screwed up and there is nothing he can do about it.

LOL about that one... The buttons ARE integrated into the device, just not the cheap plastic pieces to push them. So when they get messed up, you will have to buy a new device too (or repair it). And without double tap to wake... ;) But LOL again, the buttons on MY 1520 feel a lot more premium. But I was not complaining about that as long as I owned the 950 XL.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
LOL about that one... The buttons ARE integrated into the device, just not the cheap plastic pieces to push them. So when they get messed up, you will have to buy a new device too (or repair it). And without double tap to wake... ;) But LOL again, the buttons on MY 1520 feel a lot more premium. But I was not complaining about that as long as I owned the 950 XL.

Just because a product didn't ship with a feature (double tap to wake) doesn't mean it won't be ready in the near future. This is a new screen and maybe it was flaky so they left it out until they can polish it up

IANOR

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
This is a bad time of year to expect updates due to lots of people being off work towards the end of December. Your dock will ship in 8-12 weeks from the time you ordered it which you would have been aware of at the time, and you are not going to get any replacement for your stock cover creaking unfortunately.

Let me get this straigt: The problem is not with the stock. The problem is, that i dont have the offers app, neither can i download it, neither does M$ know whats wrong. They are "working" on the issue, but no word since 10 days already...

If they cant manage to get things sorted out until christmas, they should not have rushed a product on the market, that is not nearly finished. They just created bad press for themselves.

And if anyone says that the 950XL buttons are better than a 1520... i believe it. But i can just laugh at M$ quality then. The 950XL buttons are the worst i ever had.

IANOR

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Being an early adopter is always fun. I've had expected results with both of my 950xls. All of my issues are software related and I expect will be sorted out. My biggest complaint. The thing is too light and thin!

These phones were for the fans. If you are a fan, you should have known what you are getting yourself into. Stop crying about how expensive it is. I have my frustrations with MS, but I'm being as patient as I can.

If your phone has ridiculously bad battery life, runs hot, crashes ect... It's a bad phone, simple as that.

The sad part is, there will be no "late adopters" either, if the early adopters have nothing but problems with the products. They will just see the inital reviews, wich are mostly bad, and the beta software, or the lots of complaint threads on the forums. This is simply a bad strategy for M$. If they'd had delayed the start by 1-2 months, that would have been only a small news wich everyone forgets.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Weird my 1520 buttons were loose and rattled.

My Lumia 950xl may be plastic buttons but they are firm and tight, no rattling.

Status
Not open for further replies.