I wasn't sure where to put this so I stuck it in the 950 XL area since most countries customers are getting one with the XL.

So I ask you, what is your use case for the Display Dock? There has been some criticism about there being no market for this thing, but then you hear about people wanting to do a Windows To Go install on a USB drive, or pocketable computers like the Kanguru PC thing that New Egg and other places sell. Personally I think there are lots of great reasons to be able to use your phone "like a PC".

While this has business applications to be sure as demo'ed by the incomparable Bryan "productive like a boss" Roper, my use case is attached to my HD monitor at home, while watching TV, some web browsing, e-mail, videos, games etc. What ever is universal or web based. Not very thrilling I suppose but I love the idea of being able to "compute" while using very little power.

So what is your use case? Business, Travel, Pleasure, Leisure, Sharing Moments, Etc etc etc?

// Jason
    11-30-2015 02:40 PM
    Well, I'm a programmer so I don't find it would fit for me unless Microsoft will somehow make the dock work as full PC.
    As I received my dock last week, I tested it right away. It works great, but it's just like the Lumia 950xl on a 50" screen. In my opinion, the dock will work for most entertainment (there will be more universal apps available in the future), and business (office app). I believe in the future, the combo 950xl + dock will be really powerful if microsoft really wants to work on it.
    11-30-2015 02:47 PM
    Kind of niche case, but after I learned that my Visio TV does 'screen scraping' (processed few-byte screen content information is sent to another company every second) I disconnected it from the internet. That means I can't use the Netflix app on the TV.

So instead I'll see if I like using my phone for streaming Netflix. Better might be a widi or miracast dongle and just using my laptop or phone to stream wirelessly, but first I'll see how I like hooking up the phone to the display dock for that. And maybe say "Hey cortana, play the next Jessica Jones episode on Netflix". :)
    11-30-2015 04:47 PM
    I think it only works for someone who wants to keep the peripherals stashed at home or work and use the phone as their work station device. I am a bakery-cafe owner. I typically carry a Surface pro2 to work, with monitor, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, speakers/amp, extra shoes, etc. kept in my work office. From my current setup it is a very small leap to replace the tablet with a 950XL (if it elegantly runs MS office and browser-based apps such as Quickbooks Online, bank web site, POS back end, etc). I have a large-sized Carradice bag that swallows my tablet, but when I walk or bike to work (esp. walking), I want to carry as little as possible. If I could swap out the tablet for a phone, let's say two phones (1020 for photos, social media, email mobile email, etc, lumia 950 for tethered desktop), then I can ditch the backpack, and just stash any extra layers at work if it warms up and I'm wearing a little less on the way home.
    Joe920 likes this.
    11-30-2015 05:29 PM
    I plug mine in at work. I work for the feds so I can't connect my devices to the network. I use to use Clear and carried a hotspot that worked perfectly. needed the unlimited data. And then Sprint killed Clear. I was in a tough spot and didn't know what I was going to do. And then Continuum was announced. Hmm. And then I saw T-Mobile had unlimited data plans. Oh my. And then T-Mobile got unlimited video streaming. It was destiny.
    11-30-2015 07:14 PM
    All really good points. I especially like Davids bakery scenario. That sounds like it could be one of those Microsoft commercials with Imagine Dragons playing in the background all inspirational like.

I heard about the Visio thing. That's nuts! Well at least you can hook it up to other set top stuff to make it useful.

Yeah as a coder I could only see you using some kind of web based (and probably not overly secure) SSH client to code that way or remote desktop into a windows box with Visual Studio or what ever your IDE is.

One thing I have not really seen at all in any of the demos of Continuum running is 3D Gaming (if not any gaming at all). The phone drives a higher than HD display built in to play games and should easily be able to handle an HD monitor. But the game has to be universal for that to work.

I'm very curious to see how Edge performs with the Display dock attached. Like Netflix works but was that because Microsoft made sure it worked or is Edge flexible and compatible enough that it works. What about Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Vimeo, etc etc etc...

Also Has anyone tried something like this? Amazon.com: Type C to HDMI Adapter, Aukey High quality USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C) Male to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter (DP Alt mode) for The New MacBook 12 inch (CB-C14 White): Cell Phones & Accessories

// Jason
    11-30-2015 07:19 PM