Nokia CR-200 Wireless Car Charger Mod for Lumia 950XL

jazzedmurf

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I also have the CR-201 cradle, and I'm frustrated that the L950XL doesn't work with it. I'll check the Tylt Vu mentioned above, but if anyone has any other recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Strange, doesn't work upside down, either. If you lift it just a bit, the volume buttons don't get pressed by the clamps.

As far as the charging goes, I tried moving it up and down, but didn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/sKX4U0C.jpg

Its a shame, because if it worked upside down, could have inverted the stand itself or used in landscape mode.

jazzedmurf

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Are there any out-of-box solutions available that work? I've been looking on Amazon but haven't really found anything promising--one user bought a "L950XL-compliant" Qi mount from Choe and had to similarly take a hacksaw to it...

I have also been experiencing weird charging behaviors from my DT-901 pads--are those old enough to be single-coil chargers? I'm thinking about buying some cheap, three-coil pad replacements.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Got my Mozo case today. Observations
1. Still doesn't work with CR-201
2. Case/No case, if the battery on the 950XL goes to 0, even a wired cable from the CR-201's USB port cannot revive the phone.

Looks like I need to order a hacksaw next

Gregg Le Blanc

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that the only real way to fix this is by lowering the sticker in the phone's back. Which probably won't be easy.

I pulled apart the DT-910 I have like this guy did on XDA, but I couldn't stretch the wires enough (without re-soldering) to make it work on my 950 XL.
Of course, I can't post links, so try and figure this URL out:

forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/nokia-dt-910-mod-to-ballistic-sg-tough-t2576422

After doing that, I wasn't so sure the CR-200 I have would benefit from a teardown.

It really seems like there should be a way to make a back case with a lower Qi coil (or move the existing coil downwards).

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just do what the OP suggested in his post and remove the bottom part of the CR-200. Should work week with the 201 too. I did it on mine and an a happy wireless charging user again.
I didn't even really remove the bottom part, but bent it down.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So I hacked off my CR-201's chin today and wireless charging is back on my 950XL.

Any ideas on how to best cover up the stub? I think I should have taken off only the plastic, not the rubber.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
So I hacked off my CR-201's chin today and wireless charging is back on my 950XL.

Any ideas on how to best cover up the stub? I think I should have taken off only the plastic, not the rubber.
Probably pad it with rubber or felt. I use a Usb type c cable for now, and route it via hole of the bottom chin. Annoying to have to plug/unplug every time, but it does charge a bit faster than Qi. Even without chopping off the chin, the phone will charge when tilted and only a bit of the top of phone is touching the charger (bottom of phone is off the chin, but on the front of it). However, the phone is not secure in this position. I wonder if a complete chop is necessary. Maybe just a few mm of shaving at the top of the chin will do the trick, or just bend it down like dKp posted above.

Last edited:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Just do what the OP suggested in his post and remove the bottom part of the CR-200. Should work week with the 201 too. I did it on mine and an a happy wireless charging user again.

Can you post a pic?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I tried bending mine down, but it was bending the entire bottom portion of the body, not just the chin. Did you soften the plastic with heat before bending it?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried bending mine down, but it was bending the entire bottom portion of the body, not just the chin. Did you soften the plastic with heat before bending it?

No, not at all. That bottom part - looking like a lip of sorts - is pretty thin. I didn't have any trouble bending it. I used a pair of pliers.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
No, not at all. That bottom part - looking like a lip of sorts - is pretty thin. I didn't have any trouble bending it. I used a pair of pliers.
I tried this and it worked. Have to bend it quite a bit, about 45 degrees. The phone has to be positioned securely as the contacts surfaces are a bit reduced.

Raf74

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
So annoyed. Bet the 950 doesn't have this trouble. I've got the Nokia stand and car charger still in it's box as my 925 gave up wireless charging years ago. Will probably sell both of these and get some 3rd party ones. Glad my JBL PowerUp will still work. Ikea sell a qi wireless charger for a bedside table they stock, should also fit in the cord hole in my desk.

Doesn't work with the 950 either! It does recognize the phone, LED goes green, the phone apparently is charging but it is so little energy, so it can't revive the phone if the battery goes flat. I even try the airplane mode and the phone shuts down when charging!

After the mod is charging speed reasonable? I don't want to break the holder and get the same performances which is now far from acceptable.

MaDastheHaTTeR

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Very cool mod. So i took what you said about the wire and pulled the charger apart then carefully removed the wire, which is glued down, i used a thin screwdriver to pry it off. It is a U shape multi strand copper wire. Will post more either way whether it works or not :smile: An update tried it out and now it charges for me yay

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa