Nokia CR-200 Wireless Car Charger Mod for Lumia 950XL

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I got the Nokia CR-200 Wireless Car Charger to recognize the Lumia 950XL by cutting off the bottom piece so the phone is positioned lower. The phone now rests on top of the dash instead of the cradle. See the pics.

If you're willing to do this mod be aware that there is a wire inside so you have to cut around it so you can bend the wire down. I actually cut the right side but the phone was still recognized so I'm not sure if the wire was needed or not. But I soldered mine back on just in case. It doesn't really sit flush on the charger but it gets recognized and charges so it's good enough for me.

WP_20151130_21_12_22_Raw.jpg
WP_20151130_21_13_19_Raw.jpg

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a CR200 for a little more than 2 years now and was kinda disappointed when I heard that the 950XL I just ordered wouldn't work with it, since they used a different placement for the charging coils compared to the 1520 and 1020 (which I was using the CR200 with).
Nice to see that someone was able to come up with a solution. I have a different idea though, but if that turns out to don't do the trick, I'll definitely consider your modification.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Can someone confirm that

1. The problem exists for both the CR-200 and CR-201?
2. The problem exists with a Mozo case, too?

Either way, I will get the phone on Dec 11 and the Mozo case around the same time, so will be able to confirm

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can someone confirm that

1. The problem exists for both the CR-200 and CR-201?
2. The problem exists with a Mozo case, too?

Either way, I will get the phone on Dec 11 and the Mozo case around the same time, so will be able to confirm

I was thinking about the case thing too. I'm not entirely sure how the wireless charging works, but it's obviously based on induction. Which means there needs to be a charging coil in the charger itself, one in the cover and again one in the battery. So if the coil used in the case is larger than the one used in the original case, it could possibly work.
But even if not, I've been thinking about placing a thin stripe of copper between the CR 200 and the Lumia 950XL. Not sure if it's gonna work, but it's worth a try.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There is no coil in the battery, just on the charger, that emits an electromagnetic fiels, and one in the case, that use the electromagnetic fiels to create an induced current used to charge the battery.
I don't understand what you want to do by putting copper between the two coils, but I think at best it will just heat up the copper, since the induced current will loop like the ones in a pan on an induction cooker.
I wonder if we can move the coil in the back cover like 5-10mm highter, like some did with the coil of the lumia 925's case to move it into the phone itself.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hope the coils on the Mozo case are a bit lower.

I will also try using the mount horizontally, with the phone aligned the opposite way (Upside down vertically)

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
What's the best place in the US to get the Mozo case? I checked Amazon but didn't see any and the Mozo site says the brown leather one is out of stock.

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Wish we could do this with the Nokia DT910 Wireless Charging Stand!!!!

At least with the charging stand we can charge it in Landscape. But you have to jerry rig the stand a bit by glueing some foam on the bottom so the phone is elevated about 1 cm. I'm tempted to to take mine apart to see if I can make the stand go higher.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If you're willing to do this mod be aware that there is a wire inside so you have to cut around it so you can bend the wire down. I actually cut the right side but the phone was still recognized so I'm not sure if the wire was needed or not. But I soldered mine back on just in case. It doesn't really sit flush on the charger but it's get's recognized and charges so it's good enough for me.

[]

Could this wire be for the for the NFC?

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So annoyed. Bet the 950 doesn't have this trouble. I've got the Nokia stand and car charger still in it's box as my 925 gave up wireless charging years ago. Will probably sell both of these and get some 3rd party ones. Glad my JBL PowerUp will still work. Ikea sell a qi wireless charger for a bedside table they stock, should also fit in the cord hole in my desk.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
hope someone can find a way to modify the qi sticker on the cases to set it lower by a bit.

Maybe it can be done on the Mozo too. I will try it on the original back once I get my phone and mozo back,

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got my 950XL and can confirm it doesn't work with the CR-201, so there's no difference between CR-200 and CR-201 there. I really hope the Mozo case I am getting next week doesn't have the same problem, but looking at the case review on allaboutwindowsphone.com, looks like the sticker on the Mozo case is exactly the same as the sticker on the official case.

I was really avoiding cutting open the cradle, but looks like there's no good option left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett