Constant Restarts

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Having same reboot issues as everyone else. Using brand new ScanDisk 128 GB micro SDXC UHS-1. First noticed random reboots trying to play my music off of the card. Most frustrating was @LumiaHelp who seemed he'll bent on blaming my card. 3 hard resets of the 950 XL and 2 reformats of the SD card and still no solution. So I moved all my music to the phone as well as my offline maps. Still getting reboots but at least I can listen to my music. All I want Microsoft to do is acknowledge the problem and tell me they are working on a solution ! Have spent over $150 on Accessories for the phone so I won't be returning it (mozo back, glass screen protector, usb type c fast car charger). C'mon MSFT ! GET YOUR **** TOGETHER ! And your support sucks

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Having same reboot issues as everyone else. Using brand new ScanDisk 128 GB micro SDXC UHS-1. First noticed random reboots trying to play my music off of the card. Most frustrating was @LumiaHelp who seemed he'll bent on blaming my card. 3 hard resets of the 950 XL and 2 reformats of the SD card and still no solution. So I moved all my music to the phone as well as my offline maps. Still getting reboots but at least I can listen to my music. All I want Microsoft to do is acknowledge the problem and tell me they are working on a solution ! Have spent over $150 on Accessories for the phone so I won't be returning it (mozo back, glass screen protector, usb type c fast car charger). C'mon MSFT ! GET YOUR **** TOGETHER ! And your support sucks

when you moved your stuff onto the phone memory, did you then physically remove the SD card?

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Not a single reboot. Set up phone out of box and then updated it. Did a hard reset with 10586.29 installed and its been flawless since.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I think we should stop blaming the phone itself. This is clear an OS problem, mostly driver related I think. The OS is such a mess and so badly optimized that it cannot handle the new hw platform very well. Oh and about MS support online/call, don't bother, those guys that answer seem to know nothing about anything! Had such bad experience with 4 consultants from India which had no idea what I was talking about, they were reading some standard steps from a paper...had no clue about any tech related issues.

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont think it can totally be the OS. 10586.11 was great on the 1520. nothing changed from that to what the 950, and XL rolled out with.

I mean it cant be bad SD cards, yes bad ones do exist, but I have bought 2 new ones, they both regularly are getting scanned for errors.

I personally have done so many hard resets, and soft resets, I feel like a master of the phone. I also dont think it is a bluetooth issue either, as I have had it happen right after a hard reset, none of my apps installed, and no sd card in.

IT really is upsetting when i get to read that other phones people are setting up are not having any issues at all.

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Still no reboots. I've set up the stock apps the way I need them. Going to install the other apps I use now.

Since I last posted, I have had zero reboots. So, this is progress. I have had the odd app crash (hello Facebook!), but I guess this is to be expected with a new OS and the Apps are being updated quite quickly.

As a side question: If you configure the phone using Express Settings, does the phone send App Crash logs to Microsoft and, if it's a third-party app, do they collate the crashes for the App authors?

Anyway, back to random reboots problem. I'm going to pair my Band 2 and see if this causes the reboots to come back.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, back to random reboots problem. I'm going to pair my Band 2 and see if this causes the reboots to come back.
curious to your findings... my phone crashes during phonecalls whenever Bluetooth is enabled... Latest build, tried hard resets a gazillion times...

When Bluetooth is enabled, all is still alright until I get or make a phonecall... After 10-15 seconds, phone reboots... Renders my Band 2 and carkit completely useless :(

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have not paired my car or BH-121 yet. I've got some Nokia Play 360 speakers too, but I'm taking it one step at a time to see what (if anything) makes it start rebooting again. Had the band paired and BT on for the past couple of hours and no reboots so far.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I dont think it can totally be the OS. 10586.11 was great on the 1520. nothing changed from that to what the 950, and XL rolled out with.

I mean it cant be bad SD cards, yes bad ones do exist, but I have bought 2 new ones, they both regularly are getting scanned for errors.

I personally have done so many hard resets, and soft resets, I feel like a master of the phone. I also dont think it is a bluetooth issue either, as I have had it happen right after a hard reset, none of my apps installed, and no sd card in.

IT really is upsetting when i get to read that other phones people are setting up are not having any issues at all.

Exactly! I was saying that the new hardware components have different drivers which, in case of problems, like on a PC where you get a blue screen and a reboot, on a phone it simply reboots. Who knows, maybe the devices that do not have these problems, the lucky 950 owners here :), have different variants of the same components: BT controller, SDcard controller etc...this information cannot be checked unless you open the phone and look on the respective chips on the mainboard and read the numbers on them.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm beginning to think it's hardware related. I had to exchange my first 950 XL due to a terribly squeaky back cover. I had it for a little over a week and it never rebooted randomly. Since I e had this one, its happened at least once a day at random times... during calls, when setting a background wallpaper. Just sitting there doing nothing lol. Same SD card too. Not sure, but I really don't want to swap this thing out again.

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I THINK it may be the LE driver for the bluetooth. For some reason, ( i may be corrected without my feelings being hurt) my 1520 didnt have BT LE. Which is why the issue never happened. However, while i was updating the band 2 this morning for music, made it 3/4 of the way, and restarted. It can connect, it does stay connected, but I think there is a bug in the bluetooth driver.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Was one of the folks with no random reboots. (I got the phone the first day of availability. Day before Thanksgiving)
When this was first being reported, I was certain it was SD card related since I hadn't put an SD card in. But a few days ago, when the Facebook Beta app was released as non-beta and simply call Facebook, I installed it.

Within an hour of installing it, I noticed my 950XL was booting up just sitting at my desk, untouched. The ONLY thing I could think of that had changed was installing the FB app. So I uninstalled it and that was the end of that. No more reboots.

A couple of days ago I finally put a new Lexar SD card in. Still no reboots. (The latest model of 64gig. The $50 variety on Amazon)

Oddly though, on 3 occasions, the phone has displayed a message about the proper way to remove the SD card. It's as if it sensed the SD card being removed improperly. On each occasion, I immediately opened the File app and verified the SD card was accessible. And each time it was.

I currently have only pictures and music and offline maps designated for SD. All apps stay on system drive.

I honestly can't be sure if this is just software or just hardware. But given the fact that some units suffer dramatically and others none at all, it's not any clearer to me. I do find it curious that a few folks have even cured the problem. Sure makes it difficult to use process of elimination......the most common method of troubleshooting.

And finally, for those doing analysis, I have no issues with Band 2 or Groove in the truck. Nearly flawless Bluetooth behavior. In fact, other than the minor glitches I have described, this 950XL has been the best Lumia I've ever had. That's saying something since I'm a 920 and 1520 Lumiaista. :)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The SD card warning mesage was driving my missus mad (on her 1520, W8.1) after any restart. I never had this on my 830 while on 8.1. Not even after I migrated to W10M. Never had random reboots either.
However I now get the SD error msg. Have absolutely no idea why, the phone gets a slew of updates every other other day.. So I just ignore the error msgs

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
No reboots since I last posted. Paired Band2, BH-121s and my car to the BT.

I've just put the SD card back in and set new photos and videos to save to it. Will see how it goes before trying Offline Maps, Music and moving some Apps to SD.

jazzedmurf

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Only three reboots since I moved all SD-installed apps back to device, two of which happened while sitting on a Fatboy wireless charger, and the third happened when playing back the first video I had taken with the phone. Video playback has been fine since, and while I have no idea why the Fatboy is causing it to restart (doesn't feel like phone's Qi coils are lined up improperly and are causing it to overheat, for instance), but no other random reboots occurring, and I have everything else--maps, music, photos, videos, documents, etc.--set to save to my SD card.

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
The first thing I did with the SD card was use the Format option in Settings and then set the Audible App downloading the book I am currently listening to it (in the App's settings it had defaulted to SD card as the download location) I looked away for a couple of minutes and when I came back to the phone, it had restarted!

I think this is quite an indication that either my SD card is faulty or the OS is screwed with regards to SD card storage. I remember the one of the W10M builds in the final stages of the Insider Preview just before General Availability screwed up SD card storage. I guess it's still badly broken.

I have a few more older, slower SD Cards laying around that I am going to test in the phone.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For those with restart problems, did you guys restore from backup? I've been using my 950XL for a few weeks now and have not experienced any reboots (knock on wood) - though I did a fresh start, did not bother restoring from my backups.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I posted this on another thread...... when I powered up my phone this morning, i was greeted with a big exclamation point. Found out how to reset in another forum which fixed it and allowed it to start but not sure why it did this. Was fine last night. And yes, I've had the SD message off and on since day one - maybe 3 times? I don't really want to buy another SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans