Constant Restarts

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been successful with an exchange and it cleared up their reboot problems? I've seen one person, just wondering if there's been any others. I've tried reformatting SD, removing it. Checking apps that might cause it, etc. Still getting it randomly at times when saving pics, on calls or browsing in edge.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
A couple of days ago I finally put a new Lexar SD card in. Still no reboots. (The latest model of 64gig. The $50 variety on Amazon)

Oddly though, on 3 occasions, the phone has displayed a message about the proper way to remove the SD card. It's as if it sensed the SD card being removed improperly. On each occasion, I immediately opened the File app and verified the SD card was accessible. And each time it was.

Try this card... It works like a charm and on sale now for 99 bucks! Never had one crash, reboot, or odd messages. I don't have the FB app either...

snip_20151213223939.png

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
So.....i cant find a store with the XL in stock. I decided to take the matter in my own hands. Bought one off EBAY. Will have it in hand tomorrow. We will see by thursday if it is a phone thing or if it is something else.

I plan on loading it jus like this other phone, just taking out the SD card, and the sim, and presto change-o/

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Since I stopped using my brand new SD cards on my Lumia 950 XL I haven't had a single reboot on WP10M 10586.29.
  • SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
  • Samsung PRO+ microSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 U3
"Stopped using" in the following sense: card inserted in phone, almost no read access, absolutely 0 write access.

For me the issue is especially write access which kind of instantly kills the phone no matter which SD card I use. Happens on U1 write speed cards as well.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The phone may have a hardware problem with the contact that connects with the SD card. I would recommend taking the phone to your carrier store where it can be tested. They also can test your cards
with another phone.

Bibbleq

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if MS has acknowledged this as an issue yet for either the 950 or XL? Getting pretty annoyed that I can't use my new SD. There is a definite corrolation with reboots and the SD for me. It rebooted so frequently at one point that the phone "locked me out" and I had to use the remote password reset option...

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Indeed sounds like a hardware issue. Hopefully MS will comment this issue as I still hope to not exchange my phone (amazon.de but still...)

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Try this card... It works like a charm and on sale now for 99 bucks! Never had one crash, reboot, or odd messages. I don't have the FB app either...

View attachment 118867

Looks like a killer SD card! But I can't imagine using up the 64Gig card. Both my 1520's are the gimped 16Gig version and even the 32Gig SD cards are more than I need. in fact, the 32 Gigs of internal storage on the 950XL is probably sufficient, but I couldn't resist the temptation of using the feature that the "other" flagships don't offer. :)

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
There's a couple of reddit threads discussing SD card related reboot issues and they seem to have been solved by exchanging the phones for new ones. I'm having the issue as well and I'm going to run by the MS store this week and swap out for another unit.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
There's a couple of reddit threads discussing SD card related reboot issues and they seem to have been solved by exchanging the phones for new ones. I'm having the issue as well and I'm going to run by the MS store this week and swap out for another unit.

The only last hope I have is the fact that all my U3 SD cards which now crash the phone worked fine on the stock W10M W10M 10586.00 - but I am not 100% sure about it.

Pls do us a huge favor and report back if replacing the phone instantly fixed the SD card related reboots (writing content from PC to SD card in phone = reboot). Ideally same testing variables: W10M 10586.29 and the SD cards which were crashing before. I really hope it's not a hardware defect!!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
The only last hope I have is the fact that all my U3 SD cards which now crash the phone worked fine on the stock W10M W10M 10586.00 - but I am not 100% sure about it.

Pls do us a huge favor and report back if replacing the phone instantly fixed the SD card related reboots (writing content from PC to SD card in phone = reboot). Ideally same testing variables: W10M 10586.29 and the SD cards which were crashing before. I really hope it's not a hardware defect!!
It's not hardware releated.
It's buggy software.
I have no SD card on my single-SIM 950 XL, and still got 2-3 reboots on "heavy duty" usage (open and closing many apps in few seconds, especially while using Outlook Calendar and embedded YouTube videos in websites with Edge browser).

They will most probably sort this out with next OS/Firmware update.
(anyway, it's not a really major problem: happens once a week at worse)

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Weird - I believe thats 2 different issues as I never have reboots when not using the SD card. But it instantly reboots when writing to the SD card (no matter which brand / model).

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
It's not hardware releated.
It's buggy software.
I have no SD card on my single-SIM 950 XL, and still got 2-3 reboots on "heavy duty" usage (open and closing many apps in few seconds, especially while using Outlook Calendar and embedded YouTube videos in websites with Edge browser).

They will most probably sort this out with next OS/Firmware update.
(anyway, it's not a really major problem: happens once a week at worse)

This is my assumption too, but we will only know ultimately when it is finally fixed.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

I'll definitely report my findings. It might take a while to exchange it depending on availability of the black variant at the store.

Delitus

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I am using a Sandisk Extreme Plus (U3) 64GB card on RM-1085 with no apparent issues - current uptime of 1 day and 21 hours:
- Apps configured to save to phone
- All others configured to save to SD card
- Windows 10 Mobile 10586.29
- SD card was installed and configured *after* the phone's initial setup

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6