Constant Restarts

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Tnx for the link! :)

Today I requested an exchange of my Lumia 950 XL at amazon. I now can instantly restart the phone with any SD card when I start downloading offline maps to the card.

Super frustrating. For me the SD card feature is a key one.

It is not the SD card. I left the same apps on the card, just switched phones, and no reboots.

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on a call phone restarts phone doing nothing restarts reading an article it restarts did hard reset same problem still cant get the new update either downloads it gets to 2% install then crashes with retry. phone gets extremely hot a lot of times have to turn it off will be returning it for a new one.

I know that kind of hassle. Its a giant pile of WTF. Return it. My second one is SOLID!

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
i have a weird one:

random rebooting while at home. only while at home. and only within about 3-4m of my wireless router.

yes, ONLY when the phone is located that close. and ONLY when its on the 2nd 5GHz radio (the router has 3 - 1 x 2.4GHz and 2 x 5GHz)

so ive taken it off the 2nd 5GHz radio (higher channel numbers) and it has not rebooted since. weird.

Harsh Doshi

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
everyone talking about these reboots concerning SD card.. for me it is even weirder.. it only crashes when i use certain apps, WhatsApp, messaging and skype being the culprits, otherwise it works exceptionally well.. and also to be specific, the phone reboots only after i type and send a message.. i am somehow thinking it must be related to the keyboard.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
It's Software/OS problem guys.
New cumulative patch 10586.36 is coming, hoping it will solve those issues among others.

For now, the only way to try fixing most of the issues is starting from an Hard Reset of 10586.29, with No Backup, and be sure without crappy apps installed.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With all the random reboot issues Windows Phone seems to have there really should be a way of logging what is causing them like the BSOD on normal Windows machines.

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
i have a weird one:

random rebooting while at home. only while at home. and only within about 3-4m of my wireless router.

yes, ONLY when the phone is located that close. and ONLY when its on the 2nd 5GHz radio (the router has 3 - 1 x 2.4GHz and 2 x 5GHz)

so ive taken it off the 2nd 5GHz radio (higher channel numbers) and it has not rebooted since. weird.

What is your firmware, and hardware revision?

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
everyone talking about these reboots concerning SD card.. for me it is even weirder.. it only crashes when i use certain apps, WhatsApp, messaging and skype being the culprits, otherwise it works exceptionally well.. and also to be specific, the phone reboots only after i type and send a message.. i am somehow thinking it must be related to the keyboard.

firmware, and hardware revision?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It's Software/OS problem guys.
New cumulative patch 10586.36 is coming, hoping it will solve those issues among others.

For now, the only way to try fixing most of the issues is starting from an Hard Reset of 10586.29, with No Backup, and be sure without crappy apps installed.

I'm not sure how you can reach that conclusion when there are multiple reports of replacing the phone fixes the issue (at least, for the SD card thing)....everything else being the same as before. I agree SOME of the issues are likely to be software/firmware related..but others like the SD card reboot problem seems very much a hardware issue.

MrDonGato

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem than you, i just logged in the 2.5GHz and it worked (i hope they fix soon the 5GHz issue, it's really bugging me).

Yesterday i went to the store where i bought the phone, and they were esceptical with my phone, they asked if i can give them the phone for testin purposes, and when i turned on the phone, it rebooted twice, it even couldn't boot the lockscreen. The store seller couldn't believe it!

Then the man asked me to soft reset the phone, and when i did it, it appear the bitlocker error (asking to plug in a USB device containing a BitLocker recovery key)

Long story short, the seller asked me to give him my phone to test it and if it didn't work, it'll change me the phone for a new one.

Today i have to go check if it works... Wish me luck!

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I also have those restarts, sometimes 5+ in a row before I can enter my PIN :(

French Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM:

Firmware revision : 01078.00017.15452.59005
Hardware revision : 4.0.3.1
Chip-SOC version: 8994

Harsh Doshi

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
firmware, and hardware revision?
I dont really know, the issue got so bad i had to user the device recovery tool.. The curent versions are..
Firmware revision : 01078.00017.15452.59009
Hardware revision : 4.0.3.1
Chip-SOC version: 8994

Not planning to update any time soon as the device is very stable now, only one restart since my last update..

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I am also back to 10586.00 and it's super stable for me. And fast. Even though I imported my .29 backup after reset. Not a single problem yet (except a couple app bugs). Knocking on wood!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
When I first got the phone, I used it with no backup. Had few reboots with it. I did a backup from same phone, then restored to that backup. No more reboots. Even left the phone seeding torrent from MicroSD all night with no reboot.

Last edited:

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem than you, i just logged in the 2.5GHz and it worked (i hope they fix soon the 5GHz issue, it's really bugging me).

Yesterday i went to the store where i bought the phone, and they were esceptical with my phone, they asked if i can give them the phone for testin purposes, and when i turned on the phone, it rebooted twice, it even couldn't boot the lockscreen. The store seller couldn't believe it!

Then the man asked me to soft reset the phone, and when i did it, it appear the bitlocker error (asking to plug in a USB device containing a BitLocker recovery key)

Long story short, the seller asked me to give him my phone to test it and if it didn't work, it'll change me the phone for a new one.

Today i have to go check if it works... Wish me luck!

good luck!

ive just used the 2.4GHz frequency at home and its ok. i dont mind, i dont really need huge bandwidth to check my email

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
has Microsoft even acknowledged the reboot issue? or the fact that stores are stopping sales for how buggy it is? I cant seem to find anything anywhere on it.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
has Microsoft even acknowledged the reboot issue? or the fact that stores are stopping sales for how buggy it is? I cant seem to find anything anywhere on it.

Based on the windows phone blogs they did not acknowledge this issue / any issues with the device but instead still argue it's not available due to strong sales. I mean what a signal is it that amazon Germany, France and one more are stopping selling the device.

Me personally I am very happy with the replacement device. I am so glad that I did send it back to amazon and got a rather well working one which doesnt reboot very often (once every 1-2 weeks) and especially doesnt insta reboot when using SD cards. Cover creaking is also gone.

What a hassle with this device. I learn't my lesson (same for surface pro 4 i7) and won't by MS product on release anymore.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I am also back to 10586.00 and it's super stable for me. And fast. Even though I imported my .29 backup after reset. Not a single problem yet (except a couple app bugs). Knocking on wood!

Quick update after a couple of weeks: For me the device replacement solved almost all issues and not any firmware / software update. I didnt matter on which OS version I was. It was purely the hardware.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have read whole all posts in this thread. My 950XL was working good from start. Then after a week or two it started to reboot. Updated to .29 and then to insider .36 but it didn'd help. Removed SD card just to check if that may be the problem, but no, it just restarts. And there are some other bugs, just some strange behaviour. Since this is MS's flagship and it is kinda expensive device, I expect it works as it should.
The last thing I can try now is hard reset, but after I read this thread I doubt it will help.
Does anyone really know what is the solution? to stop rebooting and make it stable and work as expected ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers