Going to AT&T today about Hotspot and LTE how do I make them understand

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T and told them my LTE wasn't working. She said that Windows Phone probably didn't support LTE and I said it was a Samsung Note Edge and I was positive it supported LTE. I gave her the IMEI from my Note and now 4G LTE is working on the 950 XL. The hot spot worked both before and after.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty much what AT&T did for me. I never used an IMEI from another AT&T phone or had a Nano Sim from a previous one, so I had to go through three support associates through chat before I was connected to an "advanced tech". Once I was, he was able to properly input my Lumia 950 XL's IMEI into the system and give me LTE and regular Voicemail with no issue. Took around an hour to get it set up.
Please tell us you got this man's name and direct line ;)

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T and told them my LTE wasn't working. She said that Windows Phone probably didn't support LTE and I said it was a Samsung Note Edge and I was positive it supported LTE. I gave her the IMEI from my Note and now 4G LTE is working on the 950 XL. The hot spot worked both before and after.

Does your voice mail work?

HectorMartinez

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I talked this weekend to AT&T, with an advanced tech guy, and they say they are working to get the AT&T network to recognize the unlocked 950 and 950XL and that should be fixed for 12/10 (december 10th).
I got LTE already fixed, but visual voicemail will have to wait until the 10th.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I talked this weekend to AT&T, with an advanced tech guy, and they say they are working to get the AT&T network to recognize the unlocked 950 and 950XL and that should be fixed for 12/10 (december 10th).
I got LTE already fixed, but visual voicemail will have to wait until the 10th.

That's great! I hope it works out. Kind of late for me don't feel like switching again plus spent the money elsewhere and have the 640 clay.

Keep me posted.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Some more information, I am pretty sure the hotspot issue is with ATT. I think their DNS servers are not setup for these phones. I had my hotspot working, then it died, rebooted, turned off all cellular etc and it worked again. When your hotspot dies (IE no web browsing...) open up command prompt and ping google's IP

Ping 74.125.224.24

if that works its a DNS issue

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Also seems like Bluetooth and incoming phone call can screw with the DNS. After an incoming call I had to reboot the phone to get the hotspot back working.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll say it again, I do not think AT&T is anti-950(XL). They might prefer you to purchase your phone from them just like Ford prefers you to finance your new truck through Ford Credit. But both want your business, regardless.

AT&T cellular IS a cellular service provider, and their network is far more complex than any of us end-users or AT&T store personnel are likely to have a full grasp of. But I am betting that they WILL get the changes made on their network that address the issues that we are experiencing. We are simply the first folks in line showing up with our fancy new "BYOD" devices and jumping on their network. We are not invisible to them now, that's for sure. lol Since a few hours before Thanksgiving day, they have had many hundreds, even thousands(?), of new identical alien devices board their ship and need customer service. We are all part of their red-tape now. :)

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Going to AT&T today about Hotspot and LTE how do I make them understand

Weird. My hotspot was working for a few days, now it's not connecting and telling me to visit the website or dial 611.

Last edited:

degrubbs3

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hector Martinez, Please keep us updated if you find out something else. I want this all to be squared away as quick as possible. I need my hotspot to function ASAP.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, have hotspot again. Now I don't have LTE or Voicemail!!!! What a hassle this thing is to get working properly!

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry you guys are going through this. I don't know how everything is working for others. I hope something changes for you soon. I just didn't have the staying power all of the troubleshooting took all of the joy and excitement away. Best of luck to you.

Geekladyemjay

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry you guys are going through this. I don't know how everything is working for others. I hope something changes for you soon. I just didn't have the staying power all of the troubleshooting took all of the joy and excitement away. Best of luck to you.

Geekladyemjay

It has been a struggle for me, and many others apparently. But I'm determined to see this through. The potential is amazing if just a few things can get ironed out! Not having LTE hampers me (traveling salesman), so slow loading maps, emails etc is a bummer, but hopefully most of these will be resolved soon.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I still have no LTE no matter what I do.

i have a 950XL dual sim, unlocked, bought from US online microsoft store.
I had my previous sim card from a Lumia 520 (my previous daily while i waited for these) and i chatted with ATT online and had them provision it for the an ATT 640 that i had that was unlocked.
I checked that the 640 had LTE.
Then chatted with ATT to try and get the imei of the 950XL provisioned... they tried but couldnt get it working... told me the "two weeks" story like others have heard...
Only had Edge sometimes, not even 4g.
SO i gave them the imei of the 640 again and popped the sim card back into the 950XL.
Then i did a hard reset - from the update menu...
but when the phone restarted i did NOT allow wifi to be setup - told it to continue with apps etc. first.
Then went to APN settings, created new APN settings for ATT but did NOT apply them.
Turned off cell data.
Applied the new APN settings.
Turned on cell data.
Had Edge data when i needed it now, instead of not even getting anything.
Then about 30 minutes later, LTE popped up.... and about 6 days now of LTE without it losing it... in various locations... speed tests show about 7Mbs up / 9 down at work and about 27Mbs down and 9 Mbs up at home.
Not sure what exactly did the trick, but i think it may be the hard reset and not allowing wifi to be setup during that initial setup screen.
Also, during the last chat with ATT rep - who seemed more knowledgeable and had a 640 himself - he told me to go outside and get clear of buildings to get the tower to see my phone... not sure if that helped, but that is worth trying also... as you know some Bands have trouble penetrating buildings...

Good luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb